What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is having your own pool or hot tub worth it? (1 Viewer)

You will get your money worth if you have young kids plus  get one with a jacuzzi tub attached.  Live in northeast and pool open may to October with tub getting more use than pool....it’s a great spot to have conversations with your kids as confine area with no phone...
Agree that having a spa attached is key.  Makes it more a year round thing.   Watching sports from the hot tub in November is nice.  

I would like a pool. Money isn’t an issue, space isn’t an issue and my kids would LOVE it. 

The problem is my pool and house would become the community pool as we have a smallish neighborhood with a lot of kids the same age as mine and everyone is pretty close. No offense to my neighbors, but I’m, and my wife during weekdays, are not babysitting and feeding the entire neighborhood. 

I would like a pool. Money isn’t an issue, space isn’t an issue and my kids would LOVE it. 

The problem is my pool and house would become the community pool as we have a smallish neighborhood with a lot of kids the same age as mine and everyone is pretty close. No offense to my neighbors, but I’m, and my wife during weekdays, are not babysitting and feeding the entire neighborhood. 
We had this at first. Learned to say no and all was well. Just tell the kids they have to bring their parents with them and you won't see them again.

We had this at first. Learned to say no and all was well. Just tell the kids they have to bring their parents with them and you won't see them again.
Yep.

This was pretty much our deal in the last house, we had no problem with friends coming over. Luckily we had a small group of good friends with kids about the same ages. Kicking back and having the kids play in the pool was well worth it.

Agree that having a spa attached is key.  Makes it more a year round thing.   Watching sports from the hot tub in November is nice.  
I'm considering a hot tub on the back porch, but still no pool. 

Sounds great, but I'm not sure it's really worth it.

I'm considering a hot tub on the back porch, but still no pool. 

Sounds great, but I'm not sure it's really worth it.
Hot tub only is a different game.  Trickier to keep balanced and in general the equipment is crappier grade.  

I love my pool, 3 young kids who spend all summer in it.
Same, plus wife's a teacher. Knew going in we were doing it for the enjoyment over the next 15-20 years while the kids grew up, and not for anything like increasing the value of our house. 

Same, plus wife's a teacher. Knew going in we were doing it for the enjoyment over the next 15-20 years while the kids grew up, and not for anything like increasing the value of our house. 
WHich is fine, but when looking for a new house, get one with an existing pool.  SAme price, and saves you the thousands upon thousands it would cost to get a pool

We moved to our current home 2 years ago and I had been winning the battle against building a pool on the grounds of personal finances (too much debt as is, what if we need a new car, yada yada).  The wifey is relentless, though, and kept coming and kept throwing body blows about above ground pools as compromise to the costly in ground option.  2 weeks ago I surrendered to the above ground pool.  1 week ago she got a job offer with salary 50% more than current salary; so, in the span of 2 weeks I caved on above ground pool and lost my main excuse against an in ground one.  The above ground pool goes up this weekend and we’ll be getting quotes for in ground as a Christmas gift to ourselves.  The 4 year old daughter couldn’t be happier 

We moved to our current home 2 years ago and I had been winning the battle against building a pool on the grounds of personal finances (too much debt as is, what if we need a new car, yada yada).  The wifey is relentless, though, and kept coming and kept throwing body blows about above ground pools as compromise to the costly in ground option.  2 weeks ago I surrendered to the above ground pool.  1 week ago she got a job offer with salary 50% more than current salary; so, in the span of 2 weeks I caved on above ground pool and lost my main excuse against an in ground one.  The above ground pool goes up this weekend and we’ll be getting quotes for in ground as a Christmas gift to ourselves.  The 4 year old daughter couldn’t be happier 
Thank god they don't allow these in my neighborhood.

I've had an above ground pool for maybe 30 years. The first one was built as a temporary fix while we were building our 'permanent' house which was laid out for an in-ground, but we were bought out and moved to an existing above ground with attached deck. Having grown up with an in-ground years ago I really don't miss a thing--the landscaping and amenities can make either one work just as well. imo. I've worked with 16' and now 24' rounds and been happy with both--though I wouldn't want to drop back to the smaller size now!

I'm glad a majority of you with pools seem to really enjoy it.  To me, they are a lot of money/work with not enough payoff.  I prefer going to the beach than a pool anyway.

I'm glad a majority of you with pools seem to really enjoy it.  To me, they are a lot of money/work with not enough payoff.  I prefer going to the beach than a pool anyway.
This and I'd much rather lay around a resort pool where I can sight see not play lifeguard to my daughter's friends. 

The only ones that are worth it is if you're skimming off the top, claiming a bunch of dead-beats didn't pay their entry fees or you're still waiting on payment, and so on and so forth.

I'm not as wealthy as most FBGs.  Installing a pool with an in-ground hottub attached isn't in the cards for us.  But yeah, that would be awesome. 

Put in an offer on a house with a community pool but was outbid. Now have in an offer on a house that has one already in. 

We loved our pool at previous house and miss that we don’t have one now. 50% of cost added to appraisel of home. But half the people looking for a home willl like it and other half won’t look at it. Your mileage in other areas of the country may vary.

I wonder how much it will cost to add on an attached spa to my current in ground?  The heat pump I bought could heat the thing pretty quick, so that's probably half the battle.  

Punxsutawney Phil said:
I wonder how much it will cost to add on an attached spa to my current in ground?  The heat pump I bought could heat the thing pretty quick, so that's probably half the battle.  
It can look super funky but you can sort of carve out a section of your pool and it's not that expensive.  Just imagine dropping a shot glass in a tupperware container.  Put the shot glass where the hot water comes out.

Phil Elliott said:
We loved our pool at previous house and miss that we don’t have one now. 50% of cost added to appraisel of home. But half the people looking for a home willl like it and other half won’t look at it. Your mileage in other areas of the country may vary.
I would like to see evidence supporting this.  

Moved to FL almost two years ago.  Didn't want a pool because of all the rumors of hassle, etc.  Down here, they help value of house, don't hurt and pool service is as cheap as getting someone to mow your grass monthly.  We pay $20 a week for full service.  A lot of the hassle is in cold weather areas and in pools that use chemicals for treatment.  Our pool is salt water and requires a simple bag of salt every few weeks.  I could probably do the work myself, but the pool guy keeps track of all the maintenance, filter switches etc.  

Even here though, putting in a pool after the fact will never be as good as purchasing with a pool already there.  You'll never get all your money back from putting in a pool.

Kind of like owning a boat - better to have access to one that you can use whenever you want but don't have to pay for upkeep or deal with all the headaches.  My BIL/SIL have one and they live .3 mile away - private pool access basically whenever I want it and then just drive home (or stumble home if drinking) whenever I want.

i would not have bought the current home we are in if the pool wasn't already there.  I get your point is about market research overall, but a lot of folks are well aware of what a pool will cost to install new and they want one either way.  You certainly do not get every dollar back in a resale after a new install, but families looking for a home with a pool are not blind to what that cost was to install it vs them paying 100% of that install cost on a home with a lot that has space for a new install.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHich is fine, but when looking for a new house, get one with an existing pool.  SAme price, and saves you the thousands upon thousands it would cost to get a pool
If you do, just be darn sure to include the pool in the inspection.

My neighbor has one, looks nice from the outside but he complains about how poorly it was built. Seems the builder went cheap. Don't go cheap with in ground pools. 

Above ground pools look ridiculous.
They can. Our last house had the above ground pool, but it was level with our back door. So you'd walk out to a screened in deck, walk outside of that to the rest of the deck, then straight into the pool. We had a gate on the pool we kept locked (our youngest was under 4 when we left). That worked, but the ones that require a separate deck with stairs or just stand alone do look bad.

Fwiw - Its on our appraisal with other comps with pools in NW Austin. I have no reason to tell you different. It will vary by regions of the country. But a lot of people won’t want a pool so you also reduce the “pool” of possible buyers.

Live in MI. We bought a house in 2011 with an existing pool where the original owner spent a pile of money on pool & landscaping. I don’t believe the pool impacted the sale price positively or negatively. 

We love the pool. Maintaining the water isn’t that difficult. Heating the water to 87F isn’t cheap. We enjoy hosting parties and having guests - both of those increased in frequency by orders of magnitude. 

I echo the sentiment of “don’t build a pool, buy an existing one” if you’re considering one. 

Live in MI. We bought a house in 2011 with an existing pool where the original owner spent a pile of money on pool & landscaping. I don’t believe the pool impacted the sale price positively or negatively. 

We love the pool. Maintaining the water isn’t that difficult. Heating the water to 87F isn’t cheap. We enjoy hosting parties and having guests - both of those increased in frequency by orders of magnitude. 

I echo the sentiment of “don’t build a pool, buy an existing one” if you’re considering one. 
87? May as well go to 103 and hook up a bunch of leaf blowers. 

We have ours salt water and heated/cooled with a heat pump. Takes two days to get up 20° but will hold it there for next to nothing. Cooling in the summer is pretty useful.

No way I want a community pool. There's nothing like working out, cutting the grass then floating around on a raft with music playing without leaving your little piece of the world.

We have ours salt water and heated/cooled with a heat pump. Takes two days to get up 20° but will hold it there for next to nothing. Cooling in the summer is pretty useful.

No way I want a community pool. There's nothing like working out, cutting the grass then floating around on a raft with music playing without leaving your little piece of the world.
And the kids/infants at the community pool are leaving little pieces of their world.

If you're going to add a pool to your existing home, kiss virtually dollar you put into - and all the maintenance dollars you put into afterwards ...

a big sweet goodbye.  
We’re breaking ground in 2 weeks on a new pool/spa at our 10-yr-old house. Not ideal financially but ultimately decided we loved the house itself, floor plan, neighborhood, and location in the ‘hood so much that it was worth it to us to build. And we have a 16-mo-old boy. Looking so forward to June when we hopefully cut the tape!

I live in Phoenix. It’s pretty much mandatory to have a pool here. I’ve never not had a pool. Even now, the kids are grown, and the wife and I get up early and take a swim before work most days. Sometimes we’ll just lay on a raft and have a pre-work Bloody Mary.

Pools are awesome.

gump said:
We’re breaking ground in 2 weeks on a new pool/spa at our 10-yr-old house. Not ideal financially but ultimately decided we loved the house itself, floor plan, neighborhood, and location in the ‘hood so much that it was worth it to us to build. And we have a 16-mo-old boy. Looking so forward to June when we hopefully cut the tape!
Is that crazy florida pool guy doing it?  that dude builds some impressive pools

gump said:
Get a Lab next. He'll swim with the kid for 12 years.

Slider said:

You can't do that in your community pool? 

I guess it depends on the neighborhood, ours is small enough where it's almost always empty after my runs or rides in the summer. 

The only thing I don't like is we can't swim laps in it. Technically I guess you can, but it's an L shape and maybe 15 yards x 10 yards. Not ideal.

You can't do that in your community pool? 

I guess it depends on the neighborhood, ours is small enough where it's almost always empty after my runs or rides in the summer. 

The only thing I don't like is we can't swim laps in it. Technically I guess you can, but it's an L shape and maybe 15 yards x 10 yards. Not ideal.
No. I have complete privacy and nothing but nature around me. I have total control over the pump, the music, the temp and who comes in. 

Is that crazy florida pool guy doing it?  that dude builds some impressive pools
Went with a smaller builder a friend from the pool industry recommended...doesn’t do many/year but impeccable rep...figured it’s something that to pay a little more for.  Who’s the crazy guy? 

Went with a smaller builder a friend from the pool industry recommended...doesn’t do many/year but impeccable rep...figured it’s something that to pay a little more for.  Who’s the crazy guy? 
I forget his name. He has a show on TV. Does a lot with stone 

i would say just let it go with no chemicals and regular water and then stock it with some largemouth bass and by the end of the summer you will be enjoying trophy bass angling action and wearing a nacar lookin jacket with the names of local live bait stores sewn on it and when you are fighting against a huge bucketmouth you will wonder what the poor people are doing take that to the bank brohans 

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a pool growing up...well, we BUILT a pool when I was 8 or so.  When we first build the pool, our house didn't have central AC.  We were in the pool all summer.  A few years later, we got central AC, and I was older (more video games, less outside) - we used the pool maybe 1/3 of what we used to.  

When my wife and I bought our house, we specifically DIDN'T want a pool because of my memory of how much work it was.  There are days where it'd be really nice, and we've been tempted to build one, but I still default to how, at least in NJ, you get use for 4-5 months of the year, and again, how much work it is.  We've got young kids right now - I could totally see it being great and tons of fun for for about 6-7 years, but again, once they get older, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread