What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is having your own pool or hot tub worth it? (2 Viewers)

Why a salt water pool? I know nothing of these
Just about maintenance free from my experience.  The salt water goes through a cell where the Sodium is released from the chlorine (NaCL) due to electrical current which puts free chlorine in the pool.  Eventually the Sodium and Chlroine find happiness and get together again in the pool so you don't have to keep adding.  Sweet spot is around 3300 PPM but I keep mine anywhere between 3000-3600.

You'll end up having circuit board issues and cell issues along the way, but I have an outside non-screened pool in central Florida and other than a bag of salt here and there, I do almost nothing to the pool year round other than a little vacuuming here and there.  In the 12 years I've had the pool, I've probably spent $1000 total in parts and cells for replacement, but I do all the work myself and troubleshoot so it keeps costs down.  I did replace the pump before necessary to take advantage of better efficiency.  Also did that myself.

Just about maintenance free from my experience.  The salt water goes through a cell where the Sodium is released from the chlorine (NaCL) due to electrical current which puts free chlorine in the pool.  Eventually the Sodium and Chlroine find happiness and get together again in the pool so you don't have to keep adding.  Sweet spot is around 3300 PPM but I keep mine anywhere between 3000-3600.

You'll end up having circuit board issues and cell issues along the way, but I have an outside non-screened pool in central Florida and other than a bag of salt here and there, I do almost nothing to the pool year round other than a little vacuuming here and there.  In the 12 years I've had the pool, I've probably spent $1000 total in parts and cells for replacement, but I do all the work myself and troubleshoot so it keeps costs down.  I did replace the pump before necessary to take advantage of better efficiency.  Also did that myself.
the water feels a helluva a lot better too - it's basically "soft" water.  

no itchy in an hour or two after getting out of the water - the straight chlorinator pool water has a tendency to make for dry, itchy skin.  

Concrete was poured last week in March.

Getting conflicting ideas as to when to we can do pavers around the pool. Have heard wait 30 days, wait 90 days and others saying lay pavers next spring and wait a year to be safe.

I assumed concrete was just the way things got done nowadays, suddenly fiberglass shells are an option with a couple of the companies we're starting to get quotes from.  I’m in FL, if that makes any difference, but did any of you recent or soon to be built guys consider a shell and decide for or against?

Concrete was poured last week in March.

Getting conflicting ideas as to when to we can do pavers around the pool. Have heard wait 30 days, wait 90 days and others saying lay pavers next spring and wait a year to be safe.
I have pavers, they are nice but if you can afford it you should go decorative concrete.  The problem I have with pavers is that when I pressure wash it blows sand out of the joints, and some gets in the pool.  Depending on the amount of shade / wet weather, they can get pretty nasty in places.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=decorative+concrete+pool+deck&client=ms-android-google&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnyJiPobnhAhUtrlkKHdrcCssQ_AUoAXoECAoQAQ&biw=412&bih=604

Last edited by a moderator:
We have an 8' deep we put in in 07. Five foot is useless if you ask me. The liability would seem crazy. Nobody can jump in the pool? 

Don't get a Hayward saltwater either. Get an Autopilot. Much better quality. We have a heat pump too (Aquatemp) and it's way cheaper to use than any propane heater and you can cool the pool. 
So why don't you like Hayward?

To answer the question in this thread . . . depends.

IF you plan on staying in the house for the next 10 years and your kids are old enough tor enjoy it - yes.

The 50-100K your going to spend on the entire pool (actual pool, equipment, pavers, etc) you will never get back - it does not add to the value of your home.

Does anyone have color changing LED pool lights?  They have some in the $75-$150 range with remotes.   Then there is the Pentair Intellibrite that's like $500.  They seem to be the only option on the market, and get pretty poor reviews.  I have seen a pool with them though and they are amazing.

Does anyone have color changing LED pool lights?  They have some in the $75-$150 range with remotes.   Then there is the Pentair Intellibrite that's like $500.  They seem to be the only option on the market, and get pretty poor reviews.  I have seen a pool with them though and they are amazing.
Yeah. I mean it's a novelty that wears off and we always set it to bright anyways. 

Except green for the Masters weekend.  Forgot about that. 

Making it go USA USA even gets old after a bit.  

If you don't have SWG pool, you can still add salt to your water to improve clarity/feel.  Check out the pool math app at troublefreepool.com for the amount to add. May take several bags. Want to get in the 1000 to 3000 ppm range.  Use very pure salt that doesn't have stabilizers/rust inhibiters/additives. Something like Diamond Crystal Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals works well. 

Alright, we're in the new house. Pool is just the right size for us.  Instead of installing a heater in the pool, we're considering getting a hot tub out next to the pool. Anyone have experience with hot tubs? 

For lots of home buyers, the pool actually DECREASES the value of the house. With  small kids my wife and I wanted nothing to do with a pool when we were home shopping. 
I get this but the pure fun of a pool with young kids far outweigh the risks imho.  Countless pool parties, just chilling by the pool in the sun, an escape from the oppressive summer heat, putting in a pool is the best thing we've done to our house.

Just have to have a locked gate and actually know where your kids are.

Someone gave me a sand filter that is still in good condition.  They removed their screen enclosure so the pool guy recommended a DE due to more stuff in pool.  I have a cartridge filter, but was thinking sand may be easier to deal with.  Anyone have any opinions on sand vs cartridge?  Also, has anyone heard of filling a sand filter with sand alternatives?  http://www.inyopools.com/Blog/pool-filter-sand-alternatives/
Sand can be easier maintenance...backwashing is easier than pulling out the cartridge and cleaning it.  The sand/media needs to be replaced less frequently than a cartridge. To the human eye, they filter equally well. DE technically filters finer, but the human eye can't see it.

Check the laterals and hub very closely for aging or cracks before you load it with sand.  Or replace them proactively. You don't want to get it filled up and realize you have a cracked lateral (sand back in pool).

As far as alternative media, I can only speak to zeolite.  It works great and traps particles better than sand, BUT if you don't stay up with the backwashing it becomes very difficult to get clean when you finally do backwash it.  You may have to open the filter and degrease or decalcify if it goes too long. If you go with sand, be sure to get #20 filter sand.  Most problems people have with sand come from them trying to use playground sand. It isn't sized the same and some of it will get past the laterals.

I get this but the pure fun of a pool with young kids far outweigh the risks imho.  Countless pool parties, just chilling by the pool in the sun, an escape from the oppressive summer heat, putting in a pool is the best thing we've done to our house.

Just have to have a locked gate and actually know where your kids are.
I can do that with my HOA just fine for thousands less.

Hole is dug.

They pouring concrete this Wednesday.

And so it begins . . .
Pool is done.

18X36 - 24,000 gallons - gas heated by a 400 BTU Jandy beast which can raise the heat 2 degrees every hour.

Just surrounded by dirt now - was told need to wait 90 days before pavers go down.

Next up - blowing out the side of the garage facing the pool and turning into a pool house / bar / man cave.

:pickle:  

Pool is done.

18X36 - 24,000 gallons - gas heated by a 400 BTU Jandy beast which can raise the heat 2 degrees every hour.

Just surrounded by dirt now - was told need to wait 90 days before pavers go down.

Next up - blowing out the side of the garage facing the pool and turning into a pool house / bar / man cave.

:pickle:  
How much $$$?

Pulled the pool light that went out and the casing and rubber looks in bad enough shape where I am going to go ahead and replace it.  Started looking again and this is really a difficult product to shop for.  As stated before, there are only two brands.  The retailers are pretty limited.  Suspect online retailers and 2nd hand Amazon sellers.  Looking at the PDF instructions it looks like a diy possible project or diy with help.  Assuming I could easily pull the new wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
We now have a hole lined with steel...concrete being shot on Monday...crazy to watch!  But with a cage, spa, heater...we’re at $80k.

I have 4 quotes in hand.  15x32 with a 7x7 spa about 500 sqft of extra concrete with cool Crete.  Looking at around 72 ish.  I think we are going to wait until next spring however.  By the time we get HOA approval and build it then we will be in August.

I have 4 quotes in hand.  15x32 with a 7x7 spa about 500 sqft of extra concrete with cool Crete.  Looking at around 72 ish.  I think we are going to wait until next spring however.  By the time we get HOA approval and build it then we will be in August.
My suggestion is to get a bid from @Smack Down s guy and put them up in a hotel for 2 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread