What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Baseball Forum Pinned Thread (2 Viewers)

He's definitely not Sonny Gray but he is maddeningly inconsistent.  Sometimes he looks like a top ten pitcher, sometimes he looks like an average pitcher, and sometimes he looks like Ubaldo Jimenez. 
And what we always know is the he will be injured when we need him most.

fred_1_15301 said:
And what we always know is the he will be injured when we need him most.
this is what pitching is now.....maddeningly inconsistent outings and 175 innings max.  for some reason, 100 is some magic pitch number because it’s triple digits.  every game is 5 innings of relievers.

Hader had Hernandez down 0-2 and then grooved a high fastball. It's always funny to see the stunned look of disbelief on the face of a dominant pitcher when they give one up.

Chemical X said:
is there anyone left not injured? 
really starting to kill my love of fantasy sports. i'll probably still do it cuz the two long-season sports are how i get my head focused each morning, but there's no love no mo. i've never been less of a factor in fantasy playoffs than i was this yr - even tho i made it to all of em - and it was mostly down to tickytack bull#### & load mgmt. now baseball's breaking out the same way

really starting to kill my love of fantasy sports. i'll probably still do it cuz the two long-season sports are how i get my head focused each morning, but there's no love no mo. i've never been less of a factor in fantasy playoffs than i was this yr - even tho i made it to all of em - and it was mostly down to tickytack bull#### & load mgmt. now baseball's breaking out the same way
it’s brutal....in 15 team leagues there are no replacements.  it comes down to lots of luck.  and not drafting yankees apparently.

it’s brutal....in 15 team leagues there are no replacements.  it comes down to lots of luck.  and not drafting yankees apparently.
Try breaking the season into mini-seasons.  We have adopted that format and it works really well.  We have two 6 team divisions and play 5 week seasons (you play each team in your division once).  It's a head to head points format but could be done roto style if preferred.  At the end of each season 3 teams get promoted from the lower division and 3 teams get relegated from the upper division.  It allows you to not be decimated by early season injuries that affect your full year performance.  After 5 weeks everyone starts over.  It really makes the fake baseball much better as every team stays tuned in because nobody is every out of it for very long. 

Gally said:
Try breaking the season into mini-seasons.  We have adopted that format and it works really well.  We have two 6 team divisions and play 5 week seasons (you play each team in your division once).  It's a head to head points format but could be done roto style if preferred.  At the end of each season 3 teams get promoted from the lower division and 3 teams get relegated from the upper division.  It allows you to not be decimated by early season injuries that affect your full year performance.  After 5 weeks everyone starts over.  It really makes the fake baseball much better as every team stays tuned in because nobody is every out of it for very long. 
Is there a site that allows this format?

Sound like the "participation trophy" method.
Not even close.  Our seeding for the playoffs is based on number of times in the upper division so there is a rather large advantage to maintain your place in the upper division.  The benefit is you don't get teams losing interest half way through the season where you have dead teams that don't do anything.  Since you reset every 5 weeks there is big incentive to stay active and to keep your team as best as possible.  It makes for a much more competitive league from top to bottom and helps keep the league from becoming stagnant. You actually have to be more active because you have to figure out bad/good streaks a lot quicker because it has a much bigger affect on your outcomes. 

It has been the best addition to fantasy baseball I have been a part of.  We have been doing this for about 10 years and it keeps all teams competitive throughout the season. 

Resetting after five weeks is a participation trophy method.  Your team stinks or having issues, just wait five weeks and we can start over, that way you don't get bored and quit.  Here is your trophy.

But whatever works for you I guess.
It doesn't exactly work that way.  You can't just wait 5 weeks or you will be in the exact same situation as you started.  You have to make moves and stay on top of things. or you get passed on by.  Baseball is a game of streaks and the shortened season means owners have to be extremely active or they get left behind (every season).  You cannot just set it and forget it and get by.  You will get hammered.  You must be active or you get nothing and end up in the bottom every "season". 

Each season winner gets minimal award....usually enough to pay for a few free agent adds and the biggest pot is the world series at the end of the year.  Top 4 seeds (based on times in upper division) get a bye and then single elimination weeks until the world series - which is two weeks long. 

Typical season long leagues get boring because 3 to 8 teams start off bad and give up on the season so it affects the entire rest of the year for everyone.  Great you start out strong and everyone else quits so you win because nobody else is paying attention. What kind of competition is that?

Typical season long leagues get boring because 3 to 8 teams start off bad and give up on the season so it affects the entire rest of the year for everyone. 
This is why I am not following @tank's argument.  Should they quit?  Different question.  I've actually dug my way out of holes before and finished in the money after disastrous starts.  I think part of that is because others floating around in the cellar with me stopped checking in and as I passed others they followed suit.  That isn't the point though.  The point is that happens every season in every leeg.  It's human nature.  This format prevents that while still chasing after multiple different titles throughout the season.  From a high level I'd think this increases the competition in the leeg; not the other way around.

I'm intrigued.

This is why I am not following @tank's argument.  Should they quit?  Different question.  I've actually dug my way out of holes before and finished in the money after disastrous starts.  I think part of that is because others floating around in the cellar with me stopped checking in and as I passed others they followed suit.  That isn't the point though.  The point is that happens every season in every leeg.  It's human nature.  This format prevents that while still chasing after multiple different titles throughout the season.  From a high level I'd think this increases the competition in the leeg; not the other way around.

I'm intrigued.
You aren't really chasing multiple titles.  The league winner is the winner of the world series at the end of the year.  However, each "season" (we actually call them pods) has a bit of a monetary reward for finishing first in your division (top division winner gets more than the bottom division winner) and top seed gets a percentage (kind of like winning the regular season in a playoff football league).  The World Series winner still gets the biggest single percentage of the winnings.

Changing to this format really helped keep everyone engaged and active and solved what we thought was the biggest detriment to fantasy baseball (inactivity after a poor start).  We have been doing this for about 10 years and it works great to alleviate that concern.  We haven't had anybody give up mid season.  Everyone stays active.  The only thing I haven't really been able to increase is trading.  I love trading but in a points league it is very hard to get anybody to pull the trigger.   I think roto style would help because there is an obvious trading point at times but there are a few owners that hate roto style so they don't want to try it with the pod system. 

If you don't like the long season format and the inactivity that accompanies it you should give this a try for a season or two.  We are a salary cap league that keeps 15 players year to year with a 5 spot minor league system.  That also helps keep the owners active as well. 

I kind of want the Royals to be good now because their current style of baseball is fun as hell when it works like today. Even with a couple TOOTBLAN's

Study found umpires made wrong call on 34294 pitches last season

Here are some of the things they found out:

1.  Just last season, umpires made 34,294 incorrect ball and strike calls.  That's an average of 14 per game, or 1.6 per inning.

2.  Umpires ARE influenced by the count, particularly when there are already two strikes.  In those cases, umpires were twice as likely to call a BALL a STRIKE. Balls are mistakenly called strikes 29% of the time when there are two strikes, compared to 15% of the time at lower strike counts.

3.  Fans love to ask umpires if they're "going blind," and there might actually be something to that . . . because there was a clear difference based on AGE.

Last year, the 10 most ACCURATE umpires averaged 37.8 years of age, with 6.3 years of experience.  The 10 LEAST accurate averaged 56.6 years of age, with 23.1 years of experience.

4.  NONE of the 10 most accurate umpires were selected for last year's World Series. And Ted Barrett, the 20-year veteran who was the crew chief in the World Series, ranked as the WORST umpire in 2018 with a bad call rate of 11.5%.

Joe West, a 40-year veteran, was also selected to do the World Series, despite having the second-worst bad call rate in last year.

5.  Last year alone, 55 games ended with incorrect ball-strike calls.

6.  On the plus side, things are improving.  In 2008, the bad call rate was 16.4%.  Ten years later, in 2018, it was down to 9.2%, and the missed call rate had improved each season . . . meaning that baseball IS doing something right to address the issue.

It is fine the way it is and according to the last statement, it is getting better each year.

No reason to change it and even if it wasn't, still no reason to change it.
I disagree. I think that data should be used to help select postseason umpires, especially for the WS.  Not having the most accurate umps when it matters most isn't good for the game.

This stuff should also be tracked and there should be consequences for falling below a certain level of proficiency. More importantly, not related to this, there should be consequences for umpires that behave badly, let things get personal, and/or affect the game due to a short fuse/temper, especially when they are wrong.  That's the frustrating part. 

I don't mind the errors. It's human nature. But repeated mistakes with no consequences, especially when below a certain standard? That needs to be improved, IMO.

Looks like its gonna be a fun year for the Phils/Mets.

First game, Phils pitchers unintentionally hit 2 Mets players en route to losing an ugly, rain-delayed, late game where Harper got ejected and Arrieta calls out the team for being flat.

Second game, the Phils get absolutely owned by Wheeler and lose 0-9 in a humiliating loss. At the end of the game, Jacob Rahme fires 2 seeds straight at Rhys Hoskins earhole in retaliation for the Mets batters hit the night before. Both benches come to the top of the steps, but nothing erupts.

Third game, Phils have a 4-0 lead when Rahme faces Hoskins again. Rhyse goes yard and takes a 34.23 second home run trot. The longest HR trot since they started tracking it in 2010.

This one is far from over.

I kind of want the Royals to be good now because their current style of baseball is fun as hell when it works like today. Even with a couple TOOTBLAN's
Half my posts on this site are about Billy Hamilton. Watching him play every day was the most interesting baseball I’ve watched since I was 12. Ironically, I’m a stats nerd and not very convinced it’s a winning brand of baseball, but I’m 100 percent with you that watching 1 team do that is way more fun than anything else happening.  It’s the baseball equivalent of Paul Johnson running triple option 30 years after it made sense. It’s fun to watch as an outlier. 

Yankees lineup has Gio Urshela batting cleanup and Cameron Maybin batting 5th and currently beating Madison Bumgarner 2-0 in the first. That's baseball Suzyn.

CC is a definite HOFer, right?
It's a good question.  The first pitcher off the top of my head to compare him to was Mussina who took like 6 ballots get in and I was kind of marginal on him anyway.  I was fine if he was in there, I was fine if he was left out.  I went to BP and BOOM, Mussina and Petitte are his two comps.

I actually am less sold on CC now than Mussina.  Mussina has 270 wins vs 247 currently for CC.  Mussina spent the first ten years of his career on awful Baltimore teams.  CC has pitched on good teams his entire career mostly.  When he started in Cleveland, they were still good and made the playoffs 3 of the 7 years or so he was there.  so basically half of his pitching years he has pitched for playoff caliber teams.   Mussina also won a bunch of gg's.

Oh and Mussina has a career WAR > 20 points higher than CC.

But I suppose the gold standard now is Baines is the HOF so CC a definite lock because I am sure CC was better than Baines.

It's a good question.  The first pitcher off the top of my head to compare him to was Mussina who took like 6 ballots get in and I was kind of marginal on him anyway.  I was fine if he was in there, I was fine if he was left out.  I went to BP and BOOM, Mussina and Petitte are his two comps.

I actually am less sold on CC now than Mussina.  Mussina has 270 wins vs 247 currently for CC.  Mussina spent the first ten years of his career on awful Baltimore teams.  CC has pitched on good teams his entire career mostly.  When he started in Cleveland, they were still good and made the playoffs 3 of the 7 years or so he was there.  so basically half of his pitching years he has pitched for playoff caliber teams.   Mussina also won a bunch of gg's.

Oh and Mussina has a career WAR > 20 points higher than CC.

But I suppose the gold standard now is Baines is the HOF so CC a definite lock because I am sure CC was better than Baines.
250 wins,  3000ks, a cy- young, a WS champ. I agree on his comp being mussina. I think he'll get in. It's amazing the way he's reinvented himself. 

Looks like its gonna be a fun year for the Phils/Mets.

First game, Phils pitchers unintentionally hit 2 Mets players en route to losing an ugly, rain-delayed, late game where Harper got ejected and Arrieta calls out the team for being flat.

Second game, the Phils get absolutely owned by Wheeler and lose 0-9 in a humiliating loss. At the end of the game, Jacob Rahme fires 2 seeds straight at Rhys Hoskins earhole in retaliation for the Mets batters hit the night before. Both benches come to the top of the steps, but nothing erupts.

Third game, Phils have a 4-0 lead when Rahme faces Hoskins again. Rhyse goes yard and takes a 34.23 second home run trot. The longest HR trot since they started tracking it in 2010.

This one is far from over.

lol @ this...

The Syracuse Mets and Lehigh Valley IronPigs, New York and Philadelphia's Triple-A teams, played for the first time this season on Monday. In the sixth inning, the IronPigs cued up the video of Rhys Hoskins' 34.2-second home run trot against the Mets last Wednesday on the scoreboard -- with Jacob Rhame, the pitcher who served up the homer, on the mound.
Apparently Syracuse was pissed.  :lmao:

Injury list is just simply ridiculous.  Soto, Taillon, Paxton, Yellich hasn't played in a week, it's becoming impossible to field a healthy team.  Every week it seems 10 guys get hurt ffs.

Users who are viewing this thread