What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2017 Kansas City Royals Thread - Potential Fire Sale Season*** (1 Viewer)

Nugget, on 28 Oct 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:Nugget, on 28 Oct 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:Cueto appreciation thread. I know it is unlikely he will sign with the Royals, but i think he likes playing with Volquez and Ventura. Salvy behind the plate cant hurt either.
I think he likes $$$$$ better though. That is why players agents let the emotion die down before contracts talks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting to the parade is proving to be a logistical nightmare. Attendance will be close to 500K.

Hope the crowd is as civil as the WS-winning celebrations were.

Gonna catch some of the show on TV. Hope everyone who attends has a great time.

Getting to the parade is proving to be a logistical nightmare. Attendance will be close to 500K.

I went, it exceeded my expectations. I did not stay for the pep rally... that looked like a clusterf

Ok, as a fan where do I go from here?

I've been waiting my entire adult life for this... figuring it might not ever happen.

I thought the opportunity was missed last season.. I was glad I was wrong.

But now... I've made it to the top of the summit as a fan. Now the prospects for next season are still good... it's certainly within the realm of possibility to attempt to repeat.

Odds and probability combined with some regression to the mean suggest that is highly unlikely though.

in many ways I feel like I've beaten the final boss of a video game that I loved.... or just watched the final episode of a long running TV show that I loved.

Will I feel differently about baseball next season without that burning eternal hope?

I'm still on a high... but am worried about a let down moving forward.

I'm not under the delusion that this is a multi-title group like the Giants or the Yankees.... and I'm not even sure I could get as excited about another world series as I did after this season (at least until an amount of time lapses where I wasn't as grateful for this season anymore).

Anyway... I'm hoping to hear from fans who won recently....

Like Giants fan for instance.... did you feel anywhere near the same after the 2nd one or 3rd as the first? Or Yankees fan... when you won like 3-4 straight... was there some malaise at some point during title 4? Like... eh... this world series game is running a bit long, I'll just goto bed.

Last edited by a moderator:

I went, it exceeded my expectations. I did not stay for the pep rally... that looked like a clusterf
Total attendance was probably close to 800K. Up on the Liberty Memorial hill you could hear the stage and make out shapes on it, but couldn't really recognize people without binoculars or knowing their voices.The city patting its own back over how few arrests and how little damage occurred is a bit precious, but is better news than, say, couch-burning parties in Jackson County.

Ok, as a fan where do I go from here?

I've been waiting my entire adult life for this... figuring it might not ever happen.

I thought the opportunity was missed last season.. I was glad I was wrong.

But now... I've made it to the top of the summit as a fan. Now the prospects for next season are still good... it's certainly within the realm of possibility to attempt to repeat.

Odds and probability combined with some regression to the mean suggest that is highly unlikely though.

But I'm not sure where to go from here... in many ways I feel like I've beaten the final boss of a video game that I loved.... or just watched the final episode of a long running TV show that I loved.

Where do I go from here... will I feel differently about baseball next season without that burning eternal hope?

I'm still on a high... but am worried about a let down moving forward.

I'm not under the delusion that this is a multi-title group like the Giants or the Yankees.... and I'm not even sure I could get as excited about another world series as I did after this season (at least until an amount of time lapses where I wasn't as grateful for this season anymore).

Anyway... I'm hoping to hear from fans who won recently.... where do you go from here?

Like Giants fan for instance.... did you feel anywhere near the same after the 2nd one or 3rd as the first? Or Yankees fan... when you won like 3-4 straight... was there some malaise at some point during title 4? Like... eh... this world series game is running a bit long, I'll just goto bed.
jesus

Total attendance was probably close to 800K. Up on the Liberty Memorial hill you could hear the stage and make out shapes on it, but couldn't really recognize people without binoculars or knowing their voices.The city patting its own back over how few arrests and how little damage occurred is a bit precious, but is better news than, say, couch-burning parties in Jackson County.
While the party was fairly tame, I have patients who are cops and from those in the "know" I can tell you there were plenty of altercations, a few traffic deaths, and some drug violations that were kept on the low low as to make it even seem better than it was.

They could've given out 200K worth of parking tickets that day also

Anyway... I'm hoping to hear from fans who won recently....

The first removed a lot of pressure so I could enjoy the ride more the next time and the time after that. Although that doesn't seem to be your MO.

Non-tendered Greg Holland, but interested in re-signing him to a two-year deal.

This makes sense. Arbitrators loves them some saves, so Holland was a candidate for $10-11MM in arbitration. Not sure how much his injury rehab spilling over into next season would affect his arbitration process, but a two-year deal to cover rehab and one more healthy season makes sense. Don't want to sign him for too long in case he's done, but don't want to lose him after next season in case he comes back next summer, returns to 2014 form, and prices himself out of town.

Who's starting at 2B? Colon or Infante? 
Hard to tell.  Spring training ABs have been split pretty evenly.  Royals seemed to really want Colon to win the job - they even had him hit leadoff some this spring.  But Infante is hitting .357 and Colon is hitting .137.  Looks like Colon will make the team (Mondesi looks like he needs just one more year in the minors), but Colon is barely hitting his weight and Infante is nearly hitting Pablo Sandoval's.

If there's a sleeper on the Royals, it's Raymond Fuentes.  He wasn't expected to make the team, but he's just been crushing the ball and playing decent RF.  Looks like he's going to steal the job.

Oh, and in case you were wondering if Yost has changed... after signing Gordon to that big contract to make him a Royal for life.. he's hitting sixth. 

Finally booked a trip to KC for the series on Labor Day Weekend.  I coached Danny Duffy in high school so my 10 yr old became a huge Royals fan.  He has wanted to go to KC so badly I finally booked the trip.  Any tips for what we gotta do while we are there?  We plan on going to the Saturday and Sunday games as we fly in Friday early evening (might try and go straight from the airport to the Friday game).  I have never been to KC so have no idea about the area.  Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Finally booked a trip to KC for the series on Labor Day Weekend.  I coached Danny Duffy in high school so my 10 yr old became a huge Royals fan.  He has wanted to go to KC so badly I finally booked the trip.  Any tips for what we gotta do while we are there?  We plan on going to the Saturday and Sunday games as we fly in Friday early evening (might try and go straight from the airport to the Friday game).  I have never been to KC so have no idea about the area.  Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
IMO Kansas City is a great place to live, but there's not a ton of touristy stuff to do on a visit.  

Kauffman is a great place to catch a game, especially once the summer peak heat is past.  Kauffman and Arrowhead Stadiums occupy the "Truman Sports Complex", which is a patch of land several miles away from downtown housing the stadiums, the Chiefs practice facility, and nothing else.  There aren't even parking garages; just acres of parking lot.  Because of this, pre-game at Kauffman is like college football tailgating.  Since there aren't cool bars and restaurants right by the ballpark, fans will show up a few hours early and grill in the parking lots.

So, if you plan on doing anything besides baseball, you'll probably want to rent a car.  

A couple miles from Kauffman/Arrowhead is Worlds Of Fun, a CedarFair amusement park with rollercoasters and such.  Nothing historically big or fast, but a few that move you around.

If the 10 year old is a big baseball fan, I recommend the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.  It's not big enough to take up a full day, but IMO really interesting.  Kansas City has a special interest in the Negro Leagues because the Kansas City Monarchs were a powerhouse whose former players include Jackie Robinson, Ernie Banks, and Satchel Paige.  Just a little east of downtown.  

The food specialty in the area is BBQ.  My favorite KC BBQ is Joe's KC BBQ (formerly Oklahoma Joe's).  It's usually floating around the top 5-10 restaurants in the country in the Yelp rankings.  Be sure to get the fries with that.  Other BBQ institutions include: Arthur Bryant's, Gates, and Fiorella's Jack Stack.  

There isn't a whole lot to downtown KC.  A little south of downtown is Crown Center, where the Hallmark headquarters is located.  If the kid hasn't outgrown Legos... there's a Legoland in Crown Center with cool Lego stuff like Lego Robotics classes, building areas with ramps and stuff to test out builds with wheels, big exhibits of Lego builds like reproductions of cities around the world and in literature.  There's also a Sea Life Aquarium right next door that's fun for the whole family.  Your kid might be a little old for Hallmark Kalideoscope, but I'll throw it out there.  Need a reservation, but IIRC it's free.  Different crafts and paper stuff kids can build with remnants from Hallmark products, plus a station to design and cut your own jigsaw puzzle, and IIRC a station to melt crayons into art.
On the grounds there's also some shops and restaurants.  Don't be tempted by the Crayola Cafe at Crown Center: fun setting, super friendly staff, but the food is terrible.

Just west of Crown Center is a World War I Museum and Memorial, with a tall tower you can go up and see most of the city.  Popular field trip stop.  If you go there, imagine all the open grass there filled with Royals fans, standing and looking at Union Station across the street.  After the Royals won the World Series, the entire city population somehow squeezed into that space for the victory parade and rally.  Anyway, WWI is not something I paid close attention to in school, so I learned a lot going there as an adult.  Cool interactive stuff for kids, too.

This may seem a little offbeat, but right by the WWI Memorial is a Federal Reserve Building.  In the first floor they have a "Money Museum" that's pretty cool.  Quick history of what US currency has looked like over time, a space to observe money being printed, and at the finish each visitor gets a souvenir baggie of shredded bills that if assembled would be worth hundreds of dollars.  You can cover just about everything there in an hour, maybe 90 minutes.  

If the kid is into science or technology... HIGHLY recommend Science City at Union Station, just west of Crown Center and across from WWI Memorial.  Lots of great hands-on science exhibits, IMAX theater that shows different nature documentaries, planetarium.. and if the kid fits the the height/weight dimensions, he's gotta do the SKY BIKE.

South down Main Street a few miles from Crown Center is Country Club Plaza.  There's something historically significant about how this retail district was designed, but it escapes me.  KC has a famous series of fountains throughout the city, and the crown jewel is the JC Nicols Fountain right by Country Club Plaza.  When the Chiefs or Royals are on national TV, the network covering the game always shoots some B-roll of the Nichols Fountain and runs it coming back from a commercial.  This is also right by the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum (my daughter is really into art, so we're regulars - even if you don't go inside, the lawn out in front is fun to run around on), and the UMKC campus.     

The airport is way out of town on the northwest side.  The stadiums are east of downtown.  It will be a hike from the airport to the stadiums.  A pretty cool place near the airport is the Speedway area.  There's a NASCAR track (NASCAR races there twice, the Indy Cars have also visited) that you can tour when it's not a race week.  Also right there is the Sporting KC stadium - if y'all are into soccer and Sporting KC is in season, it's supposed to be a great venue for pro soccer.  If you don't get enough baseball, the independent minor league KC T-Bones have their stadium there.  And there's a Cabela's that covers about half a billion square feet and several other gigantor stores, plus a restaurant district, and a Great Wolf Lodge that is a popular staycation spot.  Right across the freeway from all that is Schlitterbahn KC, a water park that currently hosts the world's tallest water slide.  It's called "Verruckt", which is German for either "insane" or "biggest wedgie of your life", possibly both.  

For the Sunday afternoon game, where would be the best seats to be shaded from the sun as the game goes on?

For the Sunday afternoon game, where would be the best seats to be shaded from the sun as the game goes on?
You will want to favor the third-base side.  The third-base line points close to due north.  So the seats behind home plate and up the third base side will have better dun protection.  Don't get too far up the line, though - if you sit low, 107-108 and 206-208 won't have sun protection from the upper deck.  I'd avoid 109 and 209 as well just in case.  The 400 level is up there, but also more likely to capture afternoon breezes and is a cool view of the fountains past the outfield fences.  

BTW, if you do get in town in time for a Friday night game... There's a 12-15 minute postgame fireworks show after Friday night games that's really good.  They turn off the field lights, get the fountains going with colored spotlights, pipe in some pop and rock music, and blow stuff up for a while.  

Thanks.
When you visit, I hope Duffy pitches pretty much the same as he did his last outing.

When you visit, I hope Duffy pitches pretty much the same as he did his last outing.
Me too.  He was unhittable.  I haven't talked to him yet but his dad said he was been hit up by the media relentlessly and hasn't had a minute to himself since then. The price of fame.  hahahaha

It was the best I have seen him pitch.  His change was unhittable.  It was kind of unfortunate that the Royals decided to hit for half hour between the 7th & 8th innings to cool him off.

Fun week so far.  

• 2 Games over .500
  • 6 games winning streak and counting
  • Gordo Grand Slam
  • 11th inning win that finished @2:15
  • 2 games back of the Tigers for 2nd place
  • 5 games out of the WC
  • Rally Mantis II

I am enjoying the Royals resurgence.  Not sure if there is enough season left to catch the Indians, but we are peaking at the right time.  The rotation is coming together and the younger players (Mondesi, Colon, Cuthbert) have been fun to watch.

I am enjoying the Royals resurgence.  Not sure if there is enough season left to catch the Indians, but we are peaking at the right time.  The rotation is coming together and the younger players (Mondesi, Colon, Cuthbert) have been fun to watch.
The last month of the schedule is almost all in the Central.  That's nice since there's a lot of games left against team directly ahead in the standings, with a bunch of games sprinkled in against bad teams.  After this three coming up in Yankee Stadium, the only non-Central games are a 4-game series at Kauffman against Oakland, who has already surrendered.

What about Mondesi's .504 OPS is fun?  :confused:

I don't mind the Royals are playing well, if the Tigers don't win the division I'd rather the Royals win than the Indians.  But I think this is the Indians year, they have just enough hitting and a whole lot of starting pitching. 

Tigers have all Central games sans the Orioles and Braves from here on out, so if they finish 3rd they have no one to blame but themselves.  Same for the Royals. 

What about Mondesi's .504 OPS is fun?  :confused:
It is fun to watch him run. Even routine groundballs to 2B have some excitement because any bobble and he is on. 

Yesterday's game was a good example of why it's fun to watch the Royals play.  They scored 8 runs in one inning without hitting a HR.  Speed and aggressiveness on the bases always put pressure on the defense. 

That wasn't as sweep. That was a grade A ### kicking with so many football scores, Encyclopedia Brown ran out of old timey Chiefs and Raiders to make bad jokes with.

Users who are viewing this thread