What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2017 Kansas City Royals Thread - Potential Fire Sale Season*** (1 Viewer)

Nugget

Footballguy
As the defending AL Champs, I felt the Royals deserved an updated thread.

Old thread - https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/674162-official-2013-kc-royals-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex Rios and Kendrys Morales had a great debut. Rios goes 3 for 4 with a 3 run HR and a stolen base. Morales walked 3 times and had a hard hit double. Looking forward to seeing what Edinson Volquez can do against the Sox on Thursday.

More power from the Royals again tonight. 4 HRs through 2 games.

Bullpen remains perfect. Holland picks up save #1.

Day game tomorrow. Bring the brooms.

Yost takes dump on new-school baseball wisdom by hitting Moustakas second and Gordon sixth.

Royals respond by sweeping opening series.

Paulo Orlando - 2 career games, 3 hits - all TRIPLES!!!

Guy is stupid fast on a team that already has killer speed.

If this team can continue to hit with some pop, to go along with their speed and defense, its going to be a fun summer! With Madson and Hochever coming back This bullpen, already lights out, gets the depth it needs to keep HDH fresh.

I second Denist... ALL IN

Royals hitter lead the league in hit by pitch(12 in 7 games) Rios hit yesterday and has fracture in left hand. No timetable for return.

Does KC have any minor league pieces to make a move at the deadline? I catch their Carolina League team (Blue Rocks) but aren't sure as to what they have in AA/AAA.

Does KC have any minor league pieces to make a move at the deadline? I catch their Carolina League team (Blue Rocks) but aren't sure as to what they have in AA/AAA.
Everybody is familiar with Brandon Finnegan. I doubt KC would be interested in moving him because he's probably the next man up if a SP goes down. I'm not expecting much from Kris Medlen this year but he and Finnegan could give the staff a boost without resorting to a deadline trade.

This year is huge for Raul Mondesi and Kyle Zimmer. Mondesi because he didn't hit last year in high-A and Zimmer because of injury problems. Sean Manaea is another LHP who might be deemed redundant if Finnegan flourishes.

Other than that, I think the Royals' cupboard is barer than it's been in recent years. They picked some toolsy bats(e.g. Bubba Starling) who haven't developed for whatever reason. Cheslor Cuthbert was one of those young for his level prospects a few years ago who stalled offensively and defensively. Christian Colon was a high floor pick who's remained on the floor.

Quite the weekend. The Royals are getting banged up a bit - at one point on Sunday the Royals had Kratz, Colon, Calixte, Orlando, and Dyson on the field.

Hopefully Eskie is back as Infante may be out for a while. Herrera is facing suspension while Holland is on the DL. Ventura could miss a start due to the Lawrie incident as well.

Bullpen is still in decent shape - have only allowed runs to score in one game this season. A Hochevar return would be really nice.

11-3. If the Royals just play .500 ball the rest of season they win 90 games. This team is showing MLB that last October was no fluke.

I like your optimism, but not your math. We'd finish at 85-77.

Royals do seem to have some spark this year. Last night when Sal reached in the 8th, you knew the Royals were at least going to tie the game. The starters are keeping us close in most games. The bullpen is just as strong and much deeper than last year.

Time to buy my Tigers tickets for next weekend.

Royals do seem to have some spark this year. Last night when Sal reached in the 8th, you knew the Royals were at least going to tie the game. The starters are keeping us close in most games. The bullpen is just as strong and much deeper than last year.

Royals games might be on PPV soon. Brawling their way through the season.

Of all the events to trigger baseball benches and bullpens to empty, a ground ball back to the pitcher has to rank pretty low.

Ventura's arm is phenomenal, but he has a lot of growing up to do.

Loved the game-winning play, though. Dyson scored from first (running on the pitch) on a ball to right that didn't get to the fence.

"Straight Outta Kauffman" T-shirts and signs penetrating the KC marketplace.
Thugs
Suspensions have been handed out for Thursday night's brawl:Ventura: 7 games

Volquez: 5 games

Herrera: 2 games

Cain: 2 games

Samardzija and Sale also got five games.

Rumor floating around that Sale was spotted at the Royals clubhouse door an inning after getting ejected Thursday night, asking to go another round with Ventura.

If you haven't bought your tickets yet, Friday's game is "Zubazpalooza 2015". Outfield Plaza ($40) and Hy-Vee View ($25) seats come with a free pair of Royals Zubaz pants. Saturday's game is Salvador Perez Bobblehead Night. Not sure how many they are making.

If you haven't bought your tickets yet, Friday's game is "Zubazpalooza 2015". Outfield Plaza ($40) and Hy-Vee View ($25) seats come with a free pair of Royals Zubaz pants. Saturday's game is Salvador Perez Bobblehead Night. Not sure how many they are making.
My wife would not support the Zubaz tickets, but we are set for Friday night. With Edinson serving his 5 game suspension, not sure who is going to start Friday night.

It's still a mystery who the Royals will send out as starting pitchers for pretty much any time beyond tonight. They brought up Brandon Finnegan, their first-round pick from last year. He's a lefty they like a lot, could've made the bullpen this spring but sent to the farm so he could be a SP. So he will probably get a start against Detroit, but who knows what day.

Have fun on Friday! Should be good weather, a little chilly after the sun goes down but still a pleasant night at the ballpark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 29K in the stands on a Tuesday. Holland back tomorrow so I expect Hererra to start his suspension this week. Cain is also available and Eskie should be coming off the concussion rest.

Yesterday I talked to a longtime ticket-taker at Kauffman. Said ticket sales for Friday night were so good, only loose singles were left when the gates opened. Families of four were showing up to see some baseball and unable to sit together.

On Saturday there were enough fans lined up when the gates opened for all 15000 Salvador Perez bobbleheads.

Starters have gone 4 innings combined in the last two starts. Not the wear on the bullpen i would like to see before the Tigers series, especially with Kelvin out.

Starters have gone 4 innings combined in the last two starts. Not the wear on the bullpen i would like to see before the Tigers series, especially with Kelvin out.
Our starting pitching has still been super sketchy. Only 12 quality starts.

Yep. Ventura still had his velocity in the 6th-7th innings last night, but giving up two home runs is generally not a winning strategy.

Really like how Hosmer is swinging the bat, though.

Best record in baseball, and who is this morales who leads the A.L. With 37RBI, can't be the same morales who played for the twins last year. Be proud Royal fans, this team is the real deal.

1 run given up in the last 36 innings.
All the pieces fit together nicely. Frasor has made a deep bullpen even stronger. Chris Young has been a revelation. Plus defenders at almost every position with no liabilities. With Moose and Hosmer hitting so well they don't have to rely on speed to manufacture runs, but the speed is still a weapon.

Best record in baseball, and who is this morales who leads the A.L. With 37RBI, can't be the same morales who played for the twins last year. Be proud Royal fans, this team is the real deal.
Morales drove in all five runs last night on two homers into the wind. The first one was with two on and two out and was ####### destroyed - wind did its best to keep it in play and still cleared the bullpen and landed in the seats.

Rain assisted win for 5 in a row. Going for a sweep of the Cards. I am in St. Louis for business starting on Tuesday. Looking forward to some trash talk.

Nugget said:
Rain assisted win for 5 in a row. Going for a sweep of the Cards. I am in St. Louis for business starting on Tuesday. Looking forward to some trash talk.
2 out of 3 on the weekend. Give 'em hell.Moose back in the lineup today after taking a ground ball in the neck/collarbone area last night. Yet another opposite-field hit. GB that guy.

Great fun watching both these teams on the same field. We should do this again in October.

Feel like the momentum is really slowing.

Sure would've been nice to have paid James Shields for his 7-0 record and 3.58 ERA.

Not to mention all the attention we got with the stolen bases and "That's what speed do" is killing our speed game - from 1st in the league in steals to 15th so far (granted they are playing less small ball with better overall hitting.. but still not a great trend)

One great year still hasn't desensitized me to impending disappointment/implosion.

As an aside... I sat through 15 years of really bad baseball with 13-15K crowds on the weeknights.. even in early September last year the crowds were generally bad.

While part of me likes seeing the team get amazing support this year... much of it feels like bandwagoning... and the old person inside of me hates the "traffic" and bathroom lines and concession lines.... not to mention the increased prices... I'm beginning to wonder if it was all worth it... still wish Baumgarner would've tripped over a big divet in the mound in game 1 last year.. because I feel like I deserved a WS title for all the hassles I'm facing now as a regular ticket holder.

Any interest in the Big Slick game on Friday 6/19? Rob Riggle hosting and playing in a celebrity softball game on the field before Royals/Red Sox that night. Usually Riggle has Paul Rudd, Jason Sudeikis, David Koechner, and Eric Stonestreet on board for this event.

I am in for Big Slick next year. Will be driving family back from DC over Fathers Day weekend.

I was very surprised to see on MLB Network that Yost is now the atop the list of career wins as KC manager. I would have guessed that Herzog or Howser were way out in front.

Yost would have been my third or fourth guess.

Howser would be #1 by a mile if he hadn't gotten sick. But his managerial career is the equivalent of about five full seasons.

Whitey only lasted five seasons, too. He wanted to be a GM.

A few notes from the Big Slick softball game:

Unlike last year, a wiffle ball game staged on the kiddie field beyond the seats in left, this was a full softball game played on the main field, with softball-length basepaths, a piching rubber in front of the MLB mound, and temporary softball fences about 200 feet or so from the plate.

The celebs had custom made Royals jerseys. Some had their own names, some did not. Jason Sudeikis went with "SUH-DAY-KIS 30" on his back so everyone could finally pronounce his name right. IIRC, Johnny Knoxville wore "GASFART 42". Aisha Tyler went with "THA THUNDER 11". Samm Levine wore "DORN 24", which was awesome shtick made even more awesome since hardly anyone in the crowd seemed to know who he was. But the winning custom jersey IMO was Paul Rudd's "BIANCALANA 1". Fans of the 1985 Royals, or of David Letterman circa 1985, are on board.

A few of the Royals came out to the field before and during the game. Jeremy Guthrie complimented Tanna Guthrie on her "GUTHRIE 11" jersey. Eric Hosmer seemed to be quite a fan of Selena Gomez.

Neil Flynn seemed to have the strongest fundamentals of the celebs. He's played MLB players in at least two movies, so I guess that shouldn't be surprising.

Eric Stonestreet, Rob Riggle, and Johnny Knoxville had pretty good swings. Stonestreet blasted one high and deep into the outfield. Knoxville hit the longest ball of the game.

Robert Smigel had Triumph on his right hand, so he had someone else swing the bat for him, then Smigel and Triumph ran the bases.

Chris Daughtry didn't have much of a swing, but had some speed on the basepaths.

The women in the game didn't have a lot of skill. Selena Gomez barely fouled one off. Aisha Tyler had to take a bunt stance and needed several pitches to make contact. The only real player among the women was Hilarie Burton, who made decent contact and had a pretty good arm. She did leave her RF position for an inning to sign autographs and pose for pictures with fans along the first-base stands.

The game finished, of course, with a bench-clearing brawl.

Feel like the momentum is really slowing.

Sure would've been nice to have paid James Shields for his 7-0 record and 3.58 ERA.

Not to mention all the attention we got with the stolen bases and "That's what speed do" is killing our speed game - from 1st in the league in steals to 15th so far (granted they are playing less small ball with better overall hitting.. but still not a great trend)

One great year still hasn't desensitized me to impending disappointment/implosion.

As an aside... I sat through 15 years of really bad baseball with 13-15K crowds on the weeknights.. even in early September last year the crowds were generally bad.

While part of me likes seeing the team get amazing support this year... much of it feels like bandwagoning... and the old person inside of me hates the "traffic" and bathroom lines and concession lines.... not to mention the increased prices... I'm beginning to wonder if it was all worth it... still wish Baumgarner would've tripped over a big divet in the mound in game 1 last year.. because I feel like I deserved a WS title for all the hassles I'm facing now as a regular ticket holder.
Last year, they were 18th in the majors in OPS. This year, they are 8th. I think it is a pretty good trade-off.

Cain and Moose sit out the doubleheader today and the Royals still sweep. Alex Gordon went 7-for-9 today.

Wade Davis with yet another scoreless 8th today. He's given up one run all season in 37 IP.

They will be a tough out in the playoffs if they can get back there. They don't seem to have the resources to make a big move at the trading deadline.

Cain and Moose sit out the doubleheader today and the Royals still sweep. Alex Gordon went 7-for-9 today.

Wade Davis with yet another scoreless 8th today. He's given up one run all season in 37 IP.

They will be a tough out in the playoffs if they can get back there. They don't seem to have the resources to make a big move at the trading deadline.
What's this bull#### with Gordon hitting 2nd? He's their 6 guy, you can't go screwing that up.

What's this bull#### with Gordon hitting 2nd? He's their 6 guy, you can't go screwing that up.
:lmao: I was watching the nightcap with a group of varying levels of baseball expertise. The reaction was everywhere from "Yost finally bats Gordon where we should have been all season and he rakes" to "Shouldn't Dyson be hitting leadoff? He's their fastest guy".

Seeing Gordon produce at that level from that spot yesterday reminded me of the legendary Web article headline, "A-Rod Likes It In The 2-Hole". Yeah he does.

Users who are viewing this thread