What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why doesn't the Democrat establishment want to move left? (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
I think it is an interesting question.  What is the Democrat establishment obsession with always moving to right policies?

You think Democrats are moving towards the right, while the right thinks Democrats are moving towards Communism.

Democrats only make up 30% of the country. They need a large chunk of independent voters if they want to be in power. So, they don't push too hard.

And at any rate, liberals shouldn't be complaining. Most political issues have moved leftward over the past 10 years (healthcare, gay marriage, climate change, gun control, drugs, etc.). Why risk alienating moderates?

The majority of the population isn't far left.  If the democratic parts becomes out of touch with the majority of the population, they become irrelevant.  Why would they want that?

power. the Dem power base is labor & teachers and both bureaucracies are anachronisms as presently constituted. the only power they have left is the machinery - the Superdelegates by which they defeated the Bern, the ability to apportion dough and get folks elected. they know if they let people who actually care abide, they're over.

IC FBGCav said:
I think it is an interesting question.  What is the Democrat establishment obsession with always moving to right policies?
From ~1976 to 2012 they moved right because that's where the votes were.  When the votes are somewhere else, they'll go there.

In fact, it's already moved left.  Medicare for Anyone is might as well be a party platform plank at this point, for example.

JohnnyU said:
Wrong.  I'm surprised anyone could say that with a straight face.  You need to watch something other than CNN and MSNBC.
You're right. The GOP hasn't moved to the right, they have moved to Crazytown.

Even a way out there lefty like me knows you can't grab for too much all at once. Though I share wikkid's concerns about the Democratic establishment and its desire to obtain and maintain power uber alles, public sentiment continues to drive us inexorably leftward. Yeah, I'm impatient, too, but I'll only really start to worry if new young voters start advocating for a return of social conservatism. As it is, they understand the benefits of progressivism and will soon be the nation's most important electoral voice for change.

Even a way out there lefty like me knows you can't grab for too much all at once. Though I share wikkid's concerns about the Democratic establishment and its desire to obtain and maintain power uber alles, public sentiment continues to drive us inexorably leftward. Yeah, I'm impatient, too, but I'll only really start to worry if new young voters start advocating for a return of social conservatism. As it is, they understand the benefits of progressivism and will soon be the nation's most important electoral voice for change.
I am not prepared to discourage careening leftiness because i've been  waiting for it to re-emerge for almost half a century. I am almost certain we're going to crash and crash big in this generation and am pretty sure that decades of tyranny will follow - because power & militias are on the same side and AOC can't smile into that without getting her face ripped off - but i would like America to get a little practice at fairness before the fall.

Radical Larry said:
Remember when you were a somewhat interesting and valued poster on this board?
Can somebody please tell me why this isn't a suspendable offense? Seriously. It's a direct personal attack, and in no conceivable way addresses the thread content or moves conversation in a productive manner. Further, especially as one of the first responses to the OP, it significantly influences the direction and tone of the thread.

@Joe Bryant @FBG Moderator

The majority of the population isn't far left.  If the democratic parts becomes out of touch with the majority of the population, they become irrelevant.  Why would they want that?
Totally agree. 

If the dems stay a bit left of center they can`t possibly lose as they will get the moderates and independent voters to go their way. The hard liners on the left will always vote dem.  Pelosi already knows this and that is why she is trying to get a handle on things before the election season gets in full swing.

Only way they can blow this is going too far left and losing the middle vote that can be swayed.

A strong balancing act between the social liberal side and staying fiscally conservative to appeal to those tired of the right social side of the GOP and their lack of any fiscal restraint.

Can somebody please tell me why this isn't a suspendable offense? Seriously. It's a direct personal attack, and in no conceivable way addresses the thread content or moves conversation in a productive manner. Further, especially as one of the first responses to the OP, it significantly influences the direction and tone of the thread.

For the millionth time, you have to report something for it to be seen. We see about 1% of the board.

When you say, "why isn't this a suspendable thing?". 99 times out of 100, the answer is "because we haven't seen it and because you didn't report it". 

What he said it totally. Being that way to others here is not something we want. But if you ever wonder why someone isn't suspended for something, the 99% answer is "we haven't seen this." Please report things you see that are far over the line. On the flip side, don't cry wolf every 5 minutes if someone looks at you sideways. We assume you're adults here and know the difference. 

power. the Dem power base is labor & teachers and both bureaucracies are anachronisms as presently constituted. the only power they have left is the machinery - the Superdelegates by which they defeated the Bern, the ability to apportion dough and get folks elected. they know if they let people who actually care abide, they're over.
Hillary beat Bernie in 68% of the States and got more than 3 million votes than Sander got. superdelegates were irrelevant. 

Republicans have moved right (any remaining moderate Republicans are considered Rhinos) as the Freedom caucus has taken over. Democrats have moved left and today much of what Bernie is saying is very similar to the majority of the other candidates. Both parties are looking for something new so they think their party  has to move further left  or right when what they really  need is someone with a message that can negotiate, has integrity,  character , communication skills and charm. Note how our current President has none of those characteristics.

That poster behind thatalias  is part of the protected class around here

hth

Totally agree. 

If the dems stay a bit left of center they can`t possibly lose as they will get the moderates and independent voters to go their way. The hard liners on the left will always vote dem.  Pelosi already knows this and that is why she is trying to get a handle on things before the election season gets in full swing.

Only way they can blow this is going too far left and losing the middle vote that can be swayed.
You mean like HRC, that center left?  Center left is a proven loser.  Obama lost over 1000 seats nationwide under his watch.  That center left?

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean like HRC, that center left?  Center left is a proven loser.  Obama lost over 1000 seats nationwide under his watch.  That center left?
Disagree,I think HRC was the proven loser. Probably only candidate Trump would have beaten.

Many of the policies espoused by the alleged far-left enjoy majority support bipartisan majority support. How do you become irrelevant pushing policies that enjoy majority support from both sides of the aisle?

Many of the policies espoused by the alleged far-left enjoy majority support bipartisan majority support. How do you become irrelevant pushing policies that enjoy majority support from both sides of the aisle?
Ask Republicans.  Support for certain gun control measures enjoys incredible public support, yet they believe if they vote in support of it they'll become irrelevant. 

Ask Republicans.  Support for certain gun control measures enjoys incredible public support, yet they believe if they vote in support of it they'll become irrelevant. 
Except their voters want it. 70% of NRA members want it. They are just afraid of the NRA not the voters. So when someone from the commie left runs on it will the left become irrelevant or will they make inroads? And if you never try what changes?

The democratic establishment contains a conglomeration of past republicans who were unable to swallow the kool-aid at some point in recent history. What happened to Rockefeller Republicans? They are now democrats. 

It's been hashed to death.  Surely you know most Americans aren't in favor of far left policies.  
Surely you know that 70% of Americans including 85% of Democrats and 52% of Republicans support Medicare for All as just one example. To get to 70% you need a lot of independents as well. Is that one of those far left policies you were talking about?

Hey GB, how the heck are ya?

Generally speaking, the U.S. population and Democratic establishment are moving left pretty quickly. 10 years and change ago Candidate Barack Obama didn't feel like he could openly support Gay Marriage and right now there is an openly gay candidate running for the Democratic nomination and no one seems to think it's big deal. Virtually no one was talking about single payer health care, aside from maybe hypothetically supporting in a one-day scenario. Today most of the Democratic candidates are embracing Medicare for All, albeit with a lot up for interpretation exactly what that means. Marijuana legalization wasn't on anyone's radar and now it's expanding rapidly. 

Generally speaking, the U.S. population and Democratic establishment are moving left pretty quickly. 10 years and change ago Candidate Barack Obama didn't feel like he could openly support Gay Marriage and right now there is an openly gay candidate running for the Democratic nomination and no one seems to think it's big deal. Virtually no one was talking about single payer health care, aside from maybe hypothetically supporting in a one-day scenario. Today most of the Democratic candidates are embracing Medicare for All, albeit with a lot up for interpretation exactly what that means. Marijuana legalization wasn't on anyone's radar and now it's expanding rapidly. 
Other areas are more of mixed-bag when you look across the country. Voting rights have obviously taken a hit, so it's more of mixed bag by State. My state (Colorado) has made huge gains in voting right. We've cleaned up our gerrymandered districts and taken it away from being a political process, have an all mail-in paper ballot system that makes it super easy to vote, etc. Conservative states obviously not so much, but at the National Level Dems are embracing much more liberal reforms like a National Election Day holiday and obviously talking more about the issues with the Electoral College. 

Abortion rights is the other area that is clearly back-sliding on a State level, but there isn't really anywhere to go left on that one. 

Yep - it’s just hard for some to be patient.  I’m probably one of those but you are right, things are slowing moving left and socially will continue.  

The economy is strong, the world is at peace, and the Mueller report was a nothing burger.  It’s going to be tough to beat Trump in 2020, they need a centrists candidate and some energy.  Maybe a Biden / O’Rourke ticket.

Censorship is anti american

Last edited by a moderator:
The economy is strong, the world is at peace, and the Mueller report was a nothing burger.  It’s going to be tough to beat Trump in 2020, they need a centrists candidate and some energy.  Maybe a Biden / O’Rourke ticket.
Agree

The centrists were pushing the report, not the progressives.  The economy is about to take a huge hit and the world is not at peace.  HTH.

Surely you know that 70% of Americans including 85% of Democrats and 52% of Republicans support Medicare for All as just one example. To get to 70% you need a lot of independents as well. Is that one of those far left policies you were talking about?
Polls are worthless.  I keep saying this.  Those numbers are almost entirely meaningless without knowing what questions were asked and who was asked.   

So what I'm hearing is you must run a centrist everyone knows this. Data? We don't need no stinking data. Never mind that's what they've been doing and being destroyed at every level. America won't accept your  far left commie policies and we don't care that poll after poll says different because we are all now polling experts who reject out of hand multiple polls showing the same range of numbers. Sound about right?

These policies are not far left. They have majority support many even bipartisan majorities. And the only way we are going to change things is to put the ideas out there and defend them. Fight for them. This is how you break gerrymanders you peel off the people from the other party that like your ideas better than what they are getting from their side and you turn out your side. You do that with policies that benefit them and their families. Not little crumbs but real change. Not with "well of course we have to cut taxes and then cut the social safety net but be nice about it" which has been the centrist model. Give them a republican lite and a republican they will vote republican because you are telling them to. Ike warned you.

That poster behind thatalias  is part of the protected class around here

hth
Part of it is the way mods respond to reporting.   When one of the mob does something, there is at most one report and it must be no big deal.  When someone posts against the mob, there are eight reports instantly so the mods quickly react.  

Wow we're in total snowflake mode if you think that is bannable. And I like Cav know him IRL. I guarantee he didn't bat an eye over it. Thicker skin people look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread