What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What was your favorite activity in PE class? (1 Viewer)

McJose

Footballguy
The square dancing thread got me thinking...

Im sure dodgeball or some variant is probably the default answer...but aside from that?

My freshman year of HS we had a 3-4 days of unexpected rain.  Our teacher had totally planned for us to be outside playing soccer or something.

The female PE teacher had 3/4 of the gym reserved for volleyball.  The weather forecast wasn’t good so coach told everyone to bring 3 tennis balls the next day.

Sure enough we were stuck in one corner of the gym the next day...

That was the day we all learned how to juggle.  I can still do it today.

GB you, Coach Hagen wherever you are.

In 6th grade, we had a teach bring in a real parachute - big one - and, every kid grabbed a part of it on the circumference.

Thus, leaving all 30 of us in a big circle - just holdin' the thing.

Then,she tossed a volleyball into the middle, and all the kids started yankin' up and down - trying to shoot the volleyball off the parachute.

The kid who had the ball exit over his/her head, was eliminated.

I never won, but I loved it. The only place I've ever seen it.

Now, I'm sure K will come in here and tell me that that was the biggest dang sportin event in Louisville - next to Bball.

Meh...smarty-pants...

Last edited by a moderator:
In 6th grade, we had a teach bring in a real parachute - big one - and, every kid grabbed a part of it on the circumference.

Thus, leaving all 30 of use in a big circle - just holdin' the thing.

Then,she tossed a volleyball into the middle, and all the kids started yankin' up and down - trying to shoot the volleyball off the parachute.

The kid who had the ball exit over his head, was eliminated.

I never won, but I loved it. The only place I've ever seen it.

Now, I'm sure K will come in here and tell me that that was the biggest dang sportin event in Louisville - next to Bball.

Meh...smarty-pants...
We had parachute-day too.

Whoever won got to drop into Eindhoven

We had parachute-day too.

Whoever won got to drop into Eindhoven
We also had a parachute. Must’ve been some grant from the nylon industry to give every school PE class a parachute in the 70’s.

Except ours was multicolored and when the teacher called your color, you had to let go and try to run under it and out the other side while the rest of the kids pulled it towards the ground, making a bubble.

Buncha kids. Running full speed right at each other. In low visibility.

Maybe that grant was from the orthodontists and not the nylon cabal...

Easily floor hockey. Kicked ###. San Dimas High School not-football ruled that day!
at Burbank High for me.   It was a class for us.  We broke all the plastic sticks the first few days that the school provided and we all went out and bought wooden ones and had to sign a waiver.   We had three teams and you would play two 15-minute games a day. The team not playing kept stats for each 22-game season.   We had 3 or 4 guys that played ice hockey, so the skill level was pretty high.

at Burbank High for me.   It was a class for us.  We broke all the plastic the first few days that the school provided and we all went out and bought wooden ones and had to sign a waiver.   We had three teams and you would play two 15-minute games a day. The team not playing kept stats for each 22-game season.
I was in NE CT and ruled gym class in that respect. So much fun. Street hockey was the order of the day. Burbank sounds like a blast for that. 

at Burbank High for me.   It was a class for us.  We broke all the plastic sticks the first few days that the school provided and we all went out and bought wooden ones and had to sign a waiver.   We had three teams and you would play two 15-minute games a day. The team not playing kept stats for each 22-game season.   We had 3 or 4 guys that played ice hockey, so the skill level was pretty high.
At our elementary school somehow we were able to lay the old school cafeteria tables around the “rink” for boards.  Late 70’s and early 80’s were a good time to be a kid in gym class.  

Lotsa great memories in here - made me think a one.

Round '77, we started gettin' more competitive in our PE classes. The standard foot sprint, was the 1st real head-ta-head stuff we did. Pretty boring - eh?

Well, I was not normal - heh - I had to wear a special Thomas Heel. The result - while all the other boys were wearin' this...I had ta wear deese, as only certain (apparently only ugly) shoes could be fitted with em at the time.

When I ran, not only was it awkward, but the cloppy-clop-cloppin' sound it made, would echo off all the gym walls. Outdoors was actually worse. While the sound wasn't reverberatin' as much, the asphalt parking lot would really grab hold of them in the warmer months.

Bein' the unrelenting fool I am, I got to the point, where there was only 1 other boy that could out-run me.

And - ta him - well, once we got back into class, I would use my cloppers to chop his pencils into pieces. The teach's all liked me - lots for some crazy reason - soooo - he always got in trouble for it. They seemed to believe that he bullied me into it.

HA! NEVAH!

But I never let the teach's know the truth - it woulda spoiled my shtick right quickly.

Good times! 🙂

not sanctioned by the school.  smear the queer.  best.  game.  ever.  adrenaline, fear, the works!  nothing like the hunt and the terror of being the hunted!

we also played a mean, vicious game of red rover.   i don't remember the name, but we played a version of dodgeball, that when you were out, you went behind the opposing team.  and if the ball got through them, you got to fire it back at them, from behind.

Team handball was always a favorite. But favorite memory was playing touch and go. I caught the ball on the fifteen and was looking to throw to the end zone. Wide open in the middle of the field was the Spanish exchange student. Our eyes connected, he waved his hands and yelled in broken English “don’t throw it to me!”  It was already too late and I let loose a rope and it hit him in the face. He didn’t even attempt to catch it. Poor *******. Good times. 

From elementary school to high school, pretty much anything that was a game or competitive was fun for me. Dodge ball, volley ball, wrestling, etc., as long as it wasn't primarily running.  :)

Now that you got me thinking.

One year was particularly tough on me. At the beginning of 9th grade we moved from a very small, rural town in the pine barrens of New Jersey, to a much more upscale area of Pennsylvania where my dad would work at Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne. The school I went to, not the academy, had 7-9 grades. It was the most modern school I ever attended, before or after. Everyone was grouped in a level for each subject, whether it was english, math or PE etc. IIRC my previous school only had about 25 kids in the entire 8th grade, so leveling wasn't even a thought. In PE I was in the group with all the most athletic kids.

Grading in PE was based on demonstration of specific skills, including a lot of stuff which was totally foreign to me. I specifically remember the rope climb test. I had never climbed a rope in my life. Grading for this was based on the time it took you to get to the top and bang your hand on the rafter. I watched some of the kids go before me, including a few who seemed to fly up the rope in around 10 seconds or less, without even using their legs. As with many of the other activities here, I was out of my league. When my turn came I just tried to keep advancing up the rope and along the way realized that I wasn't very comfortable with heights. When I reached the top I was scared that I would lose my grip when reaching up to slap the rafter and almost did when the rest of the class let loose with a loud cheer that startled the crap out of me. I don't remember how long it took me to climb the rope. I would guess close to a minute, but it felt like an hour.

Basically dodgeball, except sitting on a Scooter board.   makes the game way better...crank the speed up and then execute a wicked cross-body lazer as you are trying to stay balanced on this thing. 

not sanctioned by the school.  smear the queer.  best.  game.  ever.  adrenaline, fear, the works!  nothing like the hunt and the terror of being the hunted!
Yeah, we used to play that, too. Good times.

I imagine that game title wouldn’t hold these days - guessing they call it “Embrace Everyone” or something like that.

Kickball was another big game for us. For the diehards, you were able to select what type of pitch. A little bounce in the delivery often resulted in Ruthian shots.

Ultimate frisbee in gym class was pretty awesome.  We also played this game on the football field where the rules resembled Australian Rules Football - we used a red kickball but you had to dribble it, punch or kick-pass it to advance, and you scored by kicking it either over  the football goal posts, or through this small netting hanging underneath the crossbar for double points.

Best overall year for gym class was sophomore year. A group of us (which I’d describe as decently athletic but also some level of misfit - be it skaters, delinquents, nerdish types) formed a year-long mini-rivalry against a group of football players.  No matter what the sport in gym class, we arranged it so that our groups faced each other.  There’s no better gym class feeling than beating football players in flag football.  They were soooo salty.

Best overall year for gym class was sophomore year. A group of us (which I’d describe as decently athletic but also some level of misfit - be it skaters, delinquents, nerdish types) formed a year-long mini-rivalry against a group of football players.  No matter what the sport in gym class, we arranged it so that our groups faced each other.  There’s no better gym class feeling than beating football players in flag football.  They were soooo salty.
That's sweat in them ham tears.  

When I was younger, kickball was awesome.  However, they would take the gym over for a week with this thing called “safety town” where they had different building and situations set up and you would scoot around on kneeboards and “drive” on the roads that were marked off. 

Floor hockey was cool but now that have those stupid sponge blade sticks that fold even when trying to pass, screw those.  

My overall favorite had to be European handball. It had all the best parts of a lot of sports, catching, whipping the ball at someone’s head, body contact, and I was/am a hockey goalie, so it was fun to tend the net in a different sport where you can’t rely so much on your  equipment.  

Dodgeball was the most memorable. We didn't play as often as I'd have liked. I also remember volleyball, baseball, soccer, general fitness (mile run, situps, etc), floor hockey, basketball. I feel like I'm forgetting some activities. I can't remember how often we had class though. I feel like it was only once or twice a week.

Kickball for sure.
Kickball was awesome for sure.

Our PE teacher in high school came up with some game using a volleyball which combined basketball and indoor soccer.  About 10-15 players on each team as I remember and you could score by shooting through the basket or kicking it on the pad mounted on the wall behind the basket.

Floor hockey could have been fun but the plastic sticks were bent and beat to heck after 10 minutes and pretty much useless for taking a snapshot.

Crab soccer, especially when girls were allowed in. It just kinda neutralized physical skill - except there was always one kid who was like a chessfreak at it and developed a whole new personality from his newfound skill - and made games good-awkward and fun. But mostly cuz you could play with girls and not have to take it easy on em.

Should also mention:

Field Day was the best day of the school year. Outdoor races and competitions including wheelbarrow, potato sack races, relays, 3-legged race, and all kinds of other things where you can just play outside half the day.

Crab soccer, especially when girls were allowed in. It just kinda neutralized physical skill - except there was always one kid who was like a chessfreak at it and developed a whole new personality from his newfound skill - and made games good-awkward and fun. But mostly cuz you could play with girls and not have to take it easy on em.
I feel like they wouldn't roll very well. Did the winning team get to take the remains home for dinner?

Swimming - we actually played a modified version of water polo for half the class, it was by far my best week in PE

Other than that, kickball was always fun. 

Golf. 

In 8th grade one kid in class had a brother who was a club pro and arranged for him to come and teach everyone how to swing, rules, etc.  He brought a bunch of clubs ( mostly W and SW) and had everyone line up on the soccer field. Spent most of the time showing us how to grip the club, how to address the ball, all the basics. 

Well, I’d been playing for about 5 years already and wasn’t paying much attention, until he starts handing out real balls for us to hit. I’m down at the far end of the line with a kid named Eric Stockton (still remember his name) and somehow he got his hands on a 3i from the grab-bag of clubs the pro had brought. 

The pro is walking down the row watching everyone take a swing, and only a few kids even got one airborne. Then he gets to Eric, whose ball is pearched perfectly on a little tuft of grass....almost like a tee. He takes a huge cut with that 3i, and in one of those everything-just-clicked-moments, he catches one in the sweet spot and jacks it about 150 yards, over the soccer field, and into the neighborhood behind the school. We hear a huge crash as the ball shatters a window of a house, and watched the blood drain from the pro’s face. Two minutes later, the principal is marching out to the field from his office, collecting all the clubs and balls and demanding “a word in private” with the pro. 

We never had golf at PE again. 

Our PE teacher in high school came up with some game using a volleyball which combined basketball and indoor soccer.  About 10-15 players on each team as I remember and you could score by shooting through the basket or kicking it on the pad mounted on the wall behind the basket.
That's 'Speedball' and every school I ever attended in the northeast played it.  Some places used a soccer ball over the volleyball, but rules were basically same.

i don't remember the name, but we played a version of dodgeball, that when you were out, you went behind the opposing team.  and if the ball got through them, you got to fire it back at them, from behind.
Holy crap, that's a game changer.

Interesting innovation for sure.

Our PE teacher called it soccer/baseball, but it seems that most in here would call it kickball.

Another game we played was called shootout. We separated into four teams, one in each corner of the gym. The PE teacher would kick two red rubber balls into the air. One member from each team would run to grab one of the balls and then either tag or throw the ball at the other teams' players to eliminate them. Once you had either tagged or hit one of the other players, you could retreat to the safety of your corner. If you were tagged or hit, you were out.You took turns being the one from your team that ran out of your corner. In one game, I was the last remaining member of my team and I survived three straight rounds without getting hit or tagged. That was my claim to fame for the rest of that school year.

Users who are viewing this thread