What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Venting on my part... (1 Viewer)

I would have put a tennis racket in his hands and shared how he can continue playing that sport forever
Nobody stops you or steals playing time in Singles

I'm just guessing he wants to play basketball all the way thru college, is that a real possibility?
Hundreds and Hundreds of schools have BBall programs so I would imagine he can find a spot but is he hoping for a scholarship?

The Summer program was good, why does he want to play for the school again and deal with all those headaches when he won't be treated fairly?
6 foot 6 and still growing you say?
Is there a reason he can't play TE in football, even a walk on at whatever University he chooses, i bet they'd love for him to try out.

Good luck to your son and good luck as his father, he's in good hands
You'll figure out together the best course for his future.

I would have put a tennis racket in his hands and shared how he can continue playing that sport forever

I'm just guessing he wants to play basketball all the way thru college, is that a real possibility?
Hundreds and Hundreds of schools have BBall programs so I would imagine he can find a spot but is he hoping for a scholarship?

The Summer program was good, why does he want to play for the school again and deal with all those headaches when he won't be treated fairly?
Is there a reason he can't play TE in football, even a walk on at whatever University he chooses, i bet they'd love for him to try out.

Great question, and it was finally answered with yet another chickenshit move from the coach - he doesn't want to play for the HS anymore and we are behind him. Tryouts for basketball are Nov. 13th, but one of his friends showed him that the roster for Varsity was given to those who "made" the team last Monday already. I will admit that we had talked a little before that, and I was wondering even then if his heart was fully in it and if he was doing it for the right reasons anymore, but that was the final straw for all of us.

As far as the rest, he honestly has never had much interest in other sports and activities outside of basketball, and that was a big reason we wanted him to keep going. HS sucks enough and he doesn't enjoy it in general, so I wanted him to have that one or two things that made it not suck for him. He is now hitting the gym to workout and lift a little because he said he does like that, and he started trying to eat healthier, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about him and extremely pissed at the basketball program at our school.

Great question, and it was finally answered with yet another chickenshit move from the coach - he doesn't want to play for the HS anymore and we are behind him. Tryouts for basketball are Nov. 13th, but one of his friends showed him that the roster for Varsity was given to those who "made" the team last Monday already. I will admit that we had talked a little before that, and I was wondering even then if his heart was fully in it and if he was doing it for the right reasons anymore, but that was the final straw for all of us.

As far as the rest, he honestly has never had much interest in other sports and activities outside of basketball, and that was a big reason we wanted him to keep going. HS sucks enough and he doesn't enjoy it in general, so I wanted him to have that one or two things that made it not suck for him. He is now hitting the gym to workout and lift a little because he said he does like that, and he started trying to eat healthier, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about him and extremely pissed at the basketball program at our school.
This is what we fear for our son. What happened to open tryouts and being honest with kids? My son is a junior and we have counted the players and he could be anywhere from player 12 to 20 for a team they are saying they are only taking 15. He has been going to open gyms. He doesn't have anything that stands out as stellar besides being a good shooter. He isn't the tallest or fastest or a great scorer. He is a smart player and one of those guys were the team just plays better when he is on the court. Hoping for the best.

@KarmaPolice - found this thread through mine. Hope all is well with your son.

What did you end up doing?
He ended up getting a spot on an AAU team over the summer and it was probably the best thing that's happened to him basketball-wise. It's all about the coach - he got one that worked with the kids, actually gave them print outs of what they do well :shock: and what they can do to improve. The coach pushed him and wanted him in the O more and it gave him quite the confidence boost. It put a little fire in him, and I've noticed he's been hitting the courts more and more since then. He saw the HS varsity coach over the summer, asked him what he wanted him to work on, and has been doing that in the ams by himself at school. He's been putting up 800-1000 3s a week, and working on other stuff there. Then he also goes to the rec center and works on post moves and footwork at night a few times a week. The HS season starts in about 3 weeks, so we will see then how the team dynamics are and how the tryouts go. Been proud of how he's handled this and the work he's been putting into it. Still doesn't like the coach, the team dynamic, or most of the players on his team, but we don't have much control over that part of the equation.
Love how your son approached this. Tackled the problem head on, and I hope he gets run during this season.

My son wrestled in HS. He never wrestled before HS, he tried out because many of his friends were doing it. His HS was a top ranked wrestling school in MO. He could never get a varsity spot since he just couldn't beat the starter in either junior or senior year. Wrestling is the ultimate meritocracy. But he never gave up, worked hard attended all practices, improved every year and his senior year, coach got him into every major tournament except districts (he couldn't score in most since he wasn't the lead guy), but he was able to get 36 matches and won 22. All these tournaments were elite...very tough competition. Last tournament of the year he placed 5th out of 32 and beat 3 guys that qualified for state that year. Lost in quarterfinals to a state champion. He was so proud of himself to end HS wrestling on such a high note.

He could have gone to a different school and started every dual meet and tournament, but he wouldn't have been as good and I don't think he would have enjoyed it as much. This never quit attitude has helped him in college and will keep helping him in later years.

Your son will succeed and you will be so proud him. Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread