What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 San Francisco 49ers thread *** NEW 2020 THREAD LINK INSIDE (2 Viewers)

No, I am not a Seahawks fan. It was purely the smugness of the updated thread title that drew me in (Seattle gets a win against a gimpy 49er team).

Otherwise I would have just blown right by it. So you only have yourself to blame... rule #1 of being a troll (as in to engage in the act of trolling)... you have no control over what you may catch.
The thread title is a fact. Sorry if you dont agree.

As for me lumping you in with Seattle fans, I apologize, I just assumed.

Carry on.

No, I am not a Seahawks fan. It was purely the smugness of the updated thread title that drew me in (Seattle gets a win against a gimpy 49er team).

Otherwise I would have just blown right by it. So you only have yourself to blame... rule #1 of being a troll (as in to engage in the act of trolling)... you have no control over what you may catch.
You need to seriously get a life.  Pretty sad and pathetic spin here.

born and raised in Seattle.  13 years working in Bay Area.  First time this game meant something in 5 years.  Was a little shocked to arrive at work this morning and hearing the Super Bowl talk for niners.  You just lost, at home, to a division opponent.  GB, NO, BAL on deck..... 9-4 on the horizon.  P.S.  Sec 201 season ticket holder, so I AM invested in these niners.  would love a home playoff game to recoup some of the losses since the new building.  Go Hawks!
Cool story.  Please tell us more 

https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-seahawks-defense-pff-pro-football-focus

49ers Defense Puts Up Strong Grades in OT Loss against Seahawks

It's tough to appreciate silver linings in the San Francisco 49ers divisional loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Monday night. But despite the score, San Francisco's defense delivered spectacular plays in the overtime thriller to keep the team alive through five quarters. Jeff Deeney of Pro Football Focus provided grades for Monday night's top performers, all coming from the defense. It's also worth noting that all eleven guys who played more than 25 snaps on defense finished with an overall grade of 72 or higher.

Here's who stood out on Monday night:

1. Jaquiski Tartt – 90.8 overall grade

What a night for Tartt, who made one of the best defensive plays of the season against the Seahawks. Tartt came up with a crucial forced fumble and fumble recovery as rookie wideout DK Metcalf was steam rolling into the end zone. With just over a minute left in the first half, the safety stripped the ball from the receiver's arms at the 2-yard line to prevent a Seattle score. Tartt allowed just one catch in coverage for three yards to go along with his fumble and takeaway.

2. D.J. Jones – 90.1 overall grade

Jones left the game in the second quarter with a groin issue, but was impactful prior to his departure. On 3rd-and-2 during Seattle’s first series, Jones bull rushed through Seahawks backup center Joey Hunt and got to Russell Wilson for a sack. San Francisco’s rotational interior lineman earned a 90.1 overall grade on eight snaps.

3. Nick Bosa – 88.1 overall grade

Bosa is continuing on his campaign for Defensive Rookie of the Year honors following his Week 10 performance. The rookie totaled six quarterback pressures (one hit, five hurries) and five run stops, the most of any edge defender in the NFL in Week 10, and tied for the most by any edge defender in a game this year.

T4. K'Waun Williams – 85.7 overall grade

Richard Sherman lobbied for Williams to be the leading vote getter for the nickel back spot in the Pro Bowl, saying the corner “kept us in this game” following the primetime matchup. Williams has quietly strung along standout performances this season, including Monday night where he posted a 91.8 grade against the run and a 92.1 pass rush grade. In San Francisco’s pass rush snaps, Williams recorded one sack and a quarterback hit, including a forced fumble on Wilson. Williams finished the game with three forced fumbles on the night and a career-high nine tackles.

T4. Jimmie Ward – 85.7 overall grade

Ward, as well, is quietly coming off of a stout performance. San Francisco’s defensive back allowed just one catch on two targets in coverage for four yards. He also registered a pass break up. Ward left Monday night’s contest momentarily, however returned to the game shortly thereafter.

6. DeForest Buckner – 76.3 overall grade

Buckner earned an 83.3 grade against the run on Monday night with three run stops. San Francisco’s defensive lineman notched five tackles and two fumble recoveries, returning one 12 yards for a touchdown, his first-career defensive score.

7. Arik Armstead – 76.0 overall grade

Armstead tied Bosa with a team-high six pressures on the night that included 1.5 sacks and five quarterback hurries to go along with three tackles and a forced fumble. He now has a career-high 7.0 sacks on the season and 16.0 for his career. Monday also marked his second forced fumble of the season and third of his career.

Honorable Mention

Deebo Samuel – 75.5 overall grade

Samuel led the 49ers with eight catches for 112 yards, with five of his receptions for first downs. Of his 112 receiving yards, 71 came after the catch. He forced four missed tackles, the most of any wide receiver in Week 10. He has forced 10 missed tackles on the season, tied for second in the league among wide receivers (Tampa Bay Buccaneers Chris Godwin - 11)

Emmanuel Sanders – 70.2 overall grade

Prior to leaving the game early with a rib injury, Sanders caught two receptions for 24 yards. Both of his catches resulted in first downs.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/130621-stephen-smith-jimmy-garoppolo-49ers-while-kellerman-remains/

Max Kellerman's take on last nights game:

"Last night's game proved that the San Francisco 49ers are the best team in the world," Kellerman argued, much to the confusion of a listening Smith and Marcus Spears. "That's what it proved in the loss."

Kellerman said he predicted the 49ers would lose this game — a game he felt could have gone either way. He knew San Francisco wasn't going to remain undefeated forever, and MVP-candidate Russell Wilson might be the best quarterback they face this season.

Kellerman also notes that the 49ers were without Pro Bowl tight end George Kittle, lost wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders during the game, and receivers weren't doing Garoppolo any favors by dropping passes.

"The Niners, without their best pass-catcher, without their second-best pass-catcher, with guys dropping balls all over the place, still should have won the game," Kellerman argued. "The field-goal kicker should have hit that field goal. That's a very makable -- and he didn't even come close, never had a real shot at it, as it turns out.

"Even with all that, it takes Russell Wilson heroics in overtime to beat them. What that tells me is that the Niner defense is ferocious. We know it.

"Garoppolo played well enough to win most games, just not against the MVP, down weapons, in overtime? If you're going to lose a home game, that's how you lose it, to one of the hottest teams in the NFL, led by an MVP, with, let's face it, a bunch of bad breaks."

Moving on from the Seattle game, its in the past and we have a lot of football left to play.

Arizona up next, I really wish we'd get the news on Sanders already.

Ronald Blair out for the year with torn ACL

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/130629-49ers-defensive-ronald-blair-suffered-placed-injured-reserve/

San Francisco 49ers defensive end Ronald Blair made an impressive tackle of running Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson during Monday night's 27-24 loss. Unfortunately, for Blair, the defender didn't get up from the fourth-quarter play.

Blair needed some assistance getting off the field and was noticeably avoiding putting weight on his right leg. The defensive lineman was examined in the medical tent, and then carted to the 49ers locker room for further evaluation before being ruled out of the rest of the game.

Blair was seen using crutches to get around after the loss with his right leg in a heavy brace.

Head coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters via a conference call on Tuesday afternoon that Blair suffered a torn ACL and will be placed on season-ending injured reserve.

Blair finishes the season with 21 tackles and three sacks through nine games this season, his fourth with San Francisco since the team made him a fifth-round draft pick out of Appalachian State in 2016.

:clap:

Sanders is day to day and will be a game time decision against Arizona.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/130630-receiver-emmanuel-sanders-day-to-day-injury-game-time-decision-cardinals/

Emmanuel Sanders was one of several San Francisco 49ers players to leave Monday night's game with an injury. The wide receiver left the game due to a rib injury with 8:20 remaining in the first half and did not return.

Head coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters after the game that Sanders would undergo an MRI, and on Tuesday afternoon said via a conference call that his receiver is day-to-day and will be a game-time decision for the team's game on Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.

It's good news that Sanders' injury doesn't seem to be a long-term concern. Shanahan said it's a rib cartilage issue.

Sanders has 13 catches for 161 yards with two touchdowns through three games since being traded to San Francisco from the Denver Broncos. That includes his two catches for 24 yards in the loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ronald Blair out for the year with torn ACL

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/130629-49ers-defensive-ronald-blair-suffered-placed-injured-reserve/

San Francisco 49ers defensive end Ronald Blair made an impressive tackle of running Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson during Monday night's 27-24 loss. Unfortunately, for Blair, the defender didn't get up from the fourth-quarter play.

Blair needed some assistance getting off the field and was noticeably avoiding putting weight on his right leg. The defensive lineman was examined in the medical tent, and then carted to the 49ers locker room for further evaluation before being ruled out of the rest of the game.

Blair was seen using crutches to get around after the loss with his right leg in a heavy brace.

Head coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters via a conference call on Tuesday afternoon that Blair suffered a torn ACL and will be placed on season-ending injured reserve.

Blair finishes the season with 21 tackles and three sacks through nine games this season, his fourth with San Francisco since the team made him a fifth-round draft pick out of Appalachian State in 2016.
Sucks.  He was a big part of the rotation.

Get well Ronnie

A blessing in disguise.

49ers’ Joe Staley suffered a fractured finger vs. Seahawks, could miss a ‘couple of weeks’

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/130632-49ers-staley-suffered-fractured-finger-seahawks-could-couple/?fbclid=IwAR1aP7lK7ak80GWWGUuLosNwz4PfFyFibbehEIsDA3MPyeoXKsApR2gaXS4

On Monday night, San Francisco 49ers left tackle Joe Staley made his return from a fractured fibula. The veteran offensive lineman suffered another setback during the 27-24 overtime loss.

Head coach Kyle Shanahan revealed via a conference call on Tuesday that Staley suffered a fractured finger, which may require surgery. The offensive lineman is seeking a second opinion.

"He got out of the game fine with his leg," Shanahan said, "but he ended up having a finger fracture/dislocation. Right now, he's getting a second opinion on it, and we'll have more on that tomorrow, but surgery could be a possibility."

The good news is that Staley might only miss a couple of weeks due to the new injury. His replacement since Week 2, rookie Justin Skule, played well in the veteran's absence.

:clap:

Sanders is day to day and will be a game time decision against Arizona.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/130630-receiver-emmanuel-sanders-day-to-day-injury-game-time-decision-cardinals/

Emmanuel Sanders was one of several San Francisco 49ers players to leave Monday night's game with an injury. The wide receiver left the game due to a rib injury with 8:20 remaining in the first half and did not return.

Head coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters after the game that Sanders would undergo an MRI, and on Tuesday afternoon said via a conference call that his receiver is day-to-day and will be a game-time decision for the team's game on Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.

It's good news that Sanders' injury doesn't seem to be a long-term concern. Shanahan said it's a rib cartilage issue.

Sanders has 13 catches for 161 yards with two touchdowns through three games since being traded to San Francisco from the Denver Broncos. That includes his two catches for 24 yards in the loss to the Seattle Seahawks.
Hmmmmmmmm

Game time decision is coach speak for "we have no idea how long he will be out".  But yeah, not the worst news in the world.

49ers need to do something to appease the gods and make this injury nonsense stop.  Maybe sacrifice Jed? 

All the injury news:

Head coach Kyle Shanahan jumped on a conference call with reporters today and shared the following injury updates.

As reported here, defensive end Ronald Blair did indeed suffer a torn ACL in his right leg, will have season-ending surgery, and be placed on injured reserve.

Left tackle Joe Staley, whose game on Monday was his first back from a fractured fibula, suffered a fractured finger against the Seahawks (reported here). He may require surgery, which would force the veteran offensive lineman to miss a "couple of weeks," said Shanahan. Staley is seeking a second opinion.

Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is day-to-day with a rib injury (reported here) and could be a game-time decision against the Arizona Cardinals. The setback doesn't sound like a long-term concern.

Matt Breida aggregated his ankle, and is day-to-day. Shanahan said the team will see how the running back feels headed into practice on Wednesday.

Defensive tackle D.J. Jones suffered a groin injury. "We haven't gotten his scan back yet, but he's expected to miss at least a week," Shanahan said.

Those were the new injuries. The 49ers also had some existing injuries headed into Week 10.

"Existing injuries, [Robbie Gould] and [George Kittle] are still in the same boat," Shanahan said. "I'm hopeful for them this week but still pretty similar to last week.

"And then [Ahkello Witherspoon], he's day-to-day but expecting him to practice tomorrow, so we'll see how he is when he gets in."

I know he's a big part of the offense, but at some point, they have to let Brieda's ankle heel all the way.  Coleman and Mostert can handle the load for a couple weeks.  

49ers get 2 more Prime Time home games thanks to the NFLs Flex schedule - one on Sunday Night vs Green Bay, and one on Saturday night vs the Rams (and we will get an extra days rest before facing Seattle in week 17). :thumbup:

Schedule Update: 49ers-Packers flexed to Sunday Night Football, 49ers-Rams set for December 21

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/130639-schedule-update-packers-49ers-flexed-football-49ers-rams-saturday-december/

You can start finalizing the remainder of your NFL and San Francisco 49ers watching plans.

The league provided two updates to the 49ers schedule today:

The team's Week 12 matchup on November 24 against the Green Bay Packers, initially on FOX, has been flexed to the Sunday Night Football primetime slot on NBC. Kickoff is now scheduled for 5:20 p.m. PT (8:20 p.m. EST). It bumps the Seahawks’ trip to play the Eagles from that window. <---- :lol:

The NFL also finally set the date and time for the 49ers' Week 16 matchup against the Los Angeles Rams. The game will kick off on Saturday, December 21 at 5:15 p.m. PT (8:15 p.m. EST) from Levi's Stadium and be televised on NFL Network.

Below is the full slate of games that will be played on December 21:

Houston Texans at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10:00 a.m. PT)

Buffalo Bills at New England Patriots (1:30 p.m. PT)

Los Angeles Rams at San Francisco 49ers (5:15 p.m. PT)

The rumor in Baltimore has been that the 49ers-Ravens game was going to move to 4:25 to be the main Fox game of the week. Wonder if that’s still on the table in light of these other changes. I would imagine SF would prefer the later start coming to the East Coast 

Gotta admit I'm kinda annoyed that we didn't even TRY to get Josh Gordon. Watching him make crucial plays on no prep time while our subpar WRs drop easy passes was hard to stomach. Yea I get it, character/locker room/blah blah... the problem is aside from Kittle we have no physically dominant players on offense. It's all scheme and small ball. Everybody saw how it eventually caught up to the Patriots. Aside from Bourne do we even have a WR over 6'?  Long gone are the days of watching big niners WRs manhandle DBs.

Gotta admit I'm kinda annoyed that we didn't even TRY to get Josh Gordon. Watching him make crucial plays on no prep time while our subpar WRs drop easy passes was hard to stomach. Yea I get it, character/locker room/blah blah... the problem is aside from Kittle we have no physically dominant players on offense. It's all scheme and small ball. Everybody saw how it eventually caught up to the Patriots. Aside from Bourne do we even have a WR over 6'?  Long gone are the days of watching big niners WRs manhandle DBs.
He was on waivers and the Seahawks had a higher position on the wire than SF

Was this before or after they went to the past 3 Super Bowls, winning 2 of them?

We have enough now to win, we just need to be healthy in January.

I cant wait to see what happens when teams stack the box to stop the run when both Kittle and Sanders are on the field.

Breida could "miss some time" with sprained ankle. Great. The hits just keep coming.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/130617-49ers-matt-breida-miss-some-sprained-ankle-report/
Glad they are giving him some time to heal.  Seems like he goes out every week with the same injury.  Mostert is really good and will be able to team with Coleman to carry the load for the next couple weeks.

Small sample size of barely 100 carries, but over 6 yards per carry for his career.  Fast and can catch the ball.  

Wingnut said:
Was this before or after they went to the past 3 Super Bowls, winning 2 of them?

We have enough now to win, we just need to be healthy in January.

I cant wait to see what happens when teams stack the box to stop the run when both Kittle and Sanders are on the field.

This year's Pats took chances on both Gordon and AB. They obviously knew where their deficiencies are. The niners deficiencies were GLARING monday night. I don't get the complacency. 

efactor said:
Facts are not always in play with a lot of 49er fans.  Lynch should have found a way to jump Seattle in the waiver process lol
I'm not asking for the impossible but did they actually say anything about being interested in picking him up? 

This year's Pats took chances on both Gordon and AB. They obviously knew where their deficiencies are. The niners deficiencies were GLARING monday night. I don't get the complacency. 
The reason NE went after Gordon and AB is because no Gronk. They were looking to fill that void and give Brady a reliable target outside of Edelman. They might have found it with Sanu. We have Kittle, Sanders, and Deebo, who I think is a good enough trio to win with. They just all need to all be on the field at the same time. It's coming.

I didn't see any glaring deficiencies Monday, I saw a team without their top 2 pass catchers. Take Edelman and Sanu away from Brady and see how they look. Probably better than SF did, because Brady, but you get what I'm saying. 

The reason NE went after Gordon and AB is because no Gronk. They were looking to fill that void and give Brady a reliable target outside of Edelman. They might have found it with Sanu. We have Kittle, Sanders, and Deebo, who I think is a good enough trio to win with. They just all need to all be on the field at the same time. It's coming.

I didn't see any glaring deficiencies Monday, I saw a team without their top 2 pass catchers. Take Edelman and Sanu away from Brady and see how they look. Probably better than SF did, because Brady, but you get what I'm saying. 
Good enough isn't good enough for me I guess... Garp went 5-0 with Goodwin, Bourne and Taylor in 2017. That's not a starting caliber WR squad on any NFL team.

I agree with you that WR is a problem, but they did just go spend a large amount of draft capital getting a receiver in a midseason trade. I’ve been fairly critical of Lynch, but he hasn’t exactly been sitting on his hands this year. 

I'm not asking for the impossible but did they actually say anything about being interested in picking him up? 
Why would they have said they were interested in Gordon before they actually had a chance to claim him? If they were interested, they weren’t going to tip their hand. Why would they say they were interested after Seattle got him?  In this case, it seems like you’re looking for any reason to be critical even though it’s not valid. 

Good enough isn't good enough for me I guess... Garp went 5-0 with Goodwin, Bourne and Taylor in 2017. That's not a starting caliber WR squad on any NFL team.
What? 

Front office was aware that the WR group that Jimmy went 5-0 with in 2017 wasn’t top notch, and they have attempted to address it. Unfortunately, with less than stellar results in some cases:

-Drafted Pettis in early 2nd in 2018.  Not good so far  

-Drafted Deebo in early 2nd and Hurd in early 3rd. Deebo looks like a keeper despite a couple bad drops the last couple weeks. Unfortunately, Hurd got hurt and hasn’t been able to show what he can do 

-Traded for Sanders.  They also inquired about Sanu but Pats gave a 2nd.  A few 49er forums were talking about getting Sanu for a 5th or 6th.  Lol

-Made a play for ObJ this off season.  Giants wanted the 49ers #2 overall pick (no friggin way) and took another offer. 

I know mistakes have been made by the “new” front office in the draft, but they took over the worst roster in the league in 2017 and in three years, have build a competitive team, sitting at 8-1. Sorry this isn’t “Good enough for you” as you say.  

I suggest kicking back and enjoying the season.  It’s not a perfect team, but no team is.  All the top teams have flaws somewhere. They addressed their big weakness by getting Sanders.  He was looking pretty damn good before he tweaked his ribs. Deebo looked great Monday Night. Kittle will be back.  Receivers will be fine. 

Trade deadline in our league and I have a chance to trade for Kittle for the playoff run. Would you guys say he is a relatively safe bet after this week or not so much? Thanks

Trade deadline in our league and I have a chance to trade for Kittle for the playoff run. Would you guys say he is a relatively safe bet after this week or not so much? Thanks
if he doesn't come back this week, he will definitely come back for the packers game on the 24th. I would say he's a safe bet, especially if sanders misses more than a week or two. 

if he doesn't come back this week, he will definitely come back for the packers game on the 24th. I would say he's a safe bet, especially if sanders misses more than a week or two. 
How do you know this? It looked like an MCL, which is 2-6 weeks. 

I haven’t seen anything to indicate he will definitely be back then. 

Front office was aware that the WR group that Jimmy went 5-0 with in 2017 wasn’t top notch, and they have attempted to address it. Unfortunately, with less than stellar results in some cases  

I suggest kicking back and enjoying the season.  It’s not a perfect team, but no team is.  All the top teams have flaws somewhere. They addressed their big weakness by getting Sanders.  He was looking pretty damn good before he tweaked his ribs. Deebo looked great Monday Night. Kittle will be back.  Receivers will be fine. 

Also, they didn't know Taylor wouldn't be coming back until just before the trade deadline, so their options were limited, and trading for Sanders was huge, he's the perfect fit for Kyle's offense IMO. I think he will want to stay here and we will hopefully sign him to an extension.

Next year our WR Corp could be Sanders, Deebo, Taylor, Hurd, and either Pettis or Bourne (as well as James who will be rostered as a KR), and of course Kittle.

This is assuming Taylor is healthy. Some say/believe he can't stay healthy, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...for now. If he gets hurt again next season they'll have to move on, but the foot setback with the infection is a freak thing, IMO. He looked so good in training camp, I'm pulling for him to stay on the field next season.

I think they should dump Pettis but I don't know if they will give up on a 2nd rounder that quick, even though they probably should.

I love how so many people are trashing our offense when the fact is were 7th in the NFL in total points and 4th in points per game, and thats including the game we only scored 9 points against Washington. Only 3 other teams have scored more points per game than us - Baltimore, New England, and Tampa Bay.

We have 14 passing TDs and 13 rushing TDs on the year (plus 3 defensive TDs). Thats balance right there.

Shifting back to the defense, this is pretty cool, its every TD scored against us the entire year. Not a very long list for 10 weeks.

No......Date ..............Opp...... Result .......Qtr.....Details

01     2019-09-08    @ TAM    W, 31-17    2nd   Vernon Hargreaves 15 yard interception return
02     2019-09-08    @ TAM    W, 31-17    3rd    Chris Godwin 10 yard pass from Jameis Winston
03     2019-09-15    @ CIN     W, 41-17    1st    Tyler Eifert 1 yard pass from Andy Dalton
04     2019-09-15    @ CIN     W, 41-17    4th    John Ross 66 yard pass from Andy Dalton
05     2019-09-22     vs PIT     W, 24-20    3rd    JuJu Smith-Schuster 76 yard pass from Mason Rudolph
06     2019-09-22     vs PIT     W, 24-20    4th    Diontae Johnson 39 yard pass from Mason Rudolph
07     2019-10-13     @ LAR     W, 20-7     1st     Robert Woods 8 yard rush
08     2019-10-27    vs CAR     W, 51-13    3rd    Christian McCaffrey 40 yard rush
09     2019-10-31    @ ARIZ    W, 28-25    1st     Kenyan Drake 4 yard rush
10    2019-10-31     @ ARIZ    W, 28-25    3rd     KeeSean Johnson 9 yard pass from Kyler Murray
11    2019-10-31     @ ARIZ    W, 28-25    4th     Andy Isabella 88 yard pass from Kyler Murray
12    2019-11-11      vs SEA    L, 24-27    2nd     Jadeveon Clowney 10 yard fumble return
13    2019-11-11      vs SEA    L, 24-27    3rd      Jacob Hollister 3 yard pass from Russell Wilson
14    2019-11-11      vs SEA    L, 24-27    3rd     Chris Carson 1 yard rush

efactor said:
Why would they have said they were interested in Gordon before they actually had a chance to claim him? If they were interested, they weren’t going to tip their hand. Why would they say they were interested after Seattle got him?  In this case, it seems like you’re looking for any reason to be critical even though it’s not valid. 

Of course they're not gonna go to a press conference and say "we're looking at Josh Gordon". But where'd all the stories about them going after Beckham and Brown come from? 

efactor said:
What? 

Front office was aware that the WR group that Jimmy went 5-0 with in 2017 wasn’t top notch, and they have attempted to address it. Unfortunately, with less than stellar results in some cases:

-Drafted Pettis in early 2nd in 2018.  Not good so far  

-Drafted Deebo in early 2nd and Hurd in early 3rd. Deebo looks like a keeper despite a couple bad drops the last couple weeks. Unfortunately, Hurd got hurt and hasn’t been able to show what he can do 

-Traded for Sanders.  They also inquired about Sanu but Pats gave a 2nd.  A few 49er forums were talking about getting Sanu for a 5th or 6th.  Lol

-Made a play for ObJ this off season.  Giants wanted the 49ers #2 overall pick (no friggin way) and took another offer. 

I know mistakes have been made by the “new” front office in the draft, but they took over the worst roster in the league in 2017 and in three years, have build a competitive team, sitting at 8-1. Sorry this isn’t “Good enough for you” as you say.  

Yea I realize they're trying to address the WR issue, my problem is the kind of WRs they keep taking. Maybe Hurd will turn out to be the physical WR they need... When was the last time they drafted a WR over 6'? Josh Morgan? It's not like we don't have enough small ball slot WRs...

I was bored, so I decided to take a look at all 3 drafts in the Lynch/Shanahan era and see how theyve done. Pretty interesting stuff.

Bold players are on the current active roster and contributing (w/2019 snap counts, including special team snaps)

Quite a few hits, a fair amount of misses early on, and several yet To Be Determined based on injury or performance (hello, Pettis)

2017 (4 hits, 4 misses, 1 on IR, 1 third string QB)

Round 1 (3)  Solomon Thomas DE, Stanford (193)

Round 1 (31) Reuben Foster LB, Alabama - GONE

Round 3 (66) Akhello Witherspoon CB, Colorado (180)

Round 3 (104) C.J. Beathard QB, Iowa (0 snaps this season)

Round 4 (121) Joe Williams RB, Utah - GONE

Round 5 (146) George Kittle TE, Iowa (487)

Round 5 (no 177 overall) Trent Taylor WR, Louisiana Tech - on IR

Round 6 (198) D.J. Jones DT, Mississippi (262)

Round 6 (202) Pita Taumoepenu OLB, Utah - GONE

Round 7 (229)  Adrian Colbert DB, Miami - GONE

2018: (6 hits, 0 misses so far, 3 TBD)

Round 1 (9) Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame (388)

Round 2  (44) Dante Pettis, WR/KR, Washington (307)  jury still out

Round 3 (70) Fred Warner, LB, BYU (519)

Round 3 (95) Tarvarius Moore, S, Southern Miss (364)

Round 4 (128) Kentavius Street, DE, NC State - on IR, jury still out

Round 5 (142) DJ Reed, CB, Kansas State (159)

Round 6 (184) Marcell Harris, S, Florida (124)

Round 7 (223) Julian Taylor, DE, Temple (33) - hasnt played much, jury still out

Round 7 (240) Richie James, WR, Middle Tennessee St (242)

2019: (5 hits, 1 miss, 2 TBD)

Round 1 (2): Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State (378)

Round 2 (36): Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina (369)

Round 3 (67): Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor - on IR, jury still out

Round 4 (110): Mitch Wishnowsky, P, Utah (137)

Round 5 (148): Dre Greenlaw, LB, Utah (399)

Round 6 (176): Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford - GONE

Round 6 (183): Justin Skule, OT, Vanderbilt (485)

Round 6 (198): Tim Harris, CB, Virginia - on IR, jury still out

So 2017 was their worst draft as far as percentage of hits vs misses, but they got Witherspoon, Kittle, DJ Jones, and Solomon (who is having his best season yet), as well as Trent Taylor who has produced when healthy, and a 3rd string QB (hey, every team needs one). So a nice crop of starters but too many whiffs.

2018 was easily their most productive form a contributing/snap count standpoint. Jury is still out on Pettis, and Street hasnt played yet, but Julian Taylor has looked good in his limited snaps. Everyone else has a role on this team at their natural position, special teams, or both. Excellent draft.

2019 was a pretty damn good draft. Only 1 flat out miss (K Smith), but Bosa, Deebo, Wishnowsky, Greenlaw, and Skule should all start for this team for several years, and Hurd is still a wildcard. Theyre getting good at this drafting thing.

San Francisco 49ers injury report

Out
DT D.J. Jones (groin), T Joe Staley (finger)

Doubtful
RB Matt Breida (ankle), K Robbie Gould (right quadricep), TE George Kittle (knee, ankle)

Questionable
LB Azeez Al-Shaair (concussion), RB Raheem Mostert (knee), WR Dante Pettis (back), WR Emmanuel Sanders (ribs), CB Ahkello Witherspoon (foot, quadricep)

TE George Kittle arrived at Levis Stadium at 8:45 am wearing a "Celek Time" shirt.

- Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread