What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 San Francisco 49ers thread *** NEW 2020 THREAD LINK INSIDE (4 Viewers)

George Kittle is on the field. He's going through pre- pre-game warmups with Ross Dwelley, Kyle Juszczyk, Fred Warner, others. Kittle is not expected to play, but it's notable that he's doing a lot more this week than last.

- Matt Barrows via Twitter

Another tough game against the feisty Cardinals. Jimmy once again had no Kittle, and Sanders didnt play much if at all in the 2nd half, and yet he got it done, and without a running game..

Deebo is the real deal, love the way he plays.

Not too much to nitpick other than too damn many penalties, and 2 INTS by Jimmy.

A win is a win. Way to hang in and come back from 16-0 

Jimmy with a nice game winning drive, but good lord, stop with the meathead picks. Hit that AZ LB right between the numbers. Possibly the easiest INT ever.  2nd pick was a horrible pass behind Dwelley. Other than those two potential game costing picks, all good 🤨

A win is a win. Way to hang in and come back from 16-0 

Jimmy with a nice game winning drive, but good lord, stop with the meathead picks. Hit that AZ LB right between the numbers. Possibly the easiest INT ever.  2nd pick was a horrible pass behind Dwelley. Other than those two potential game costing picks, all good 🤨
Agree with all this.  If teams are going to continue to sell out to stop the run (and the Niners got zero from the running game this week) the offense is going to have to figure out how to make them pay consistently via the pass. Not just Jimmy, but the OL is going to have to buy more time and the WR are going to have to get earlier separation and stop with the drops. I liked them challenging Arizona deep a couple of times. 

This week’s game against GB is huge for SF’s playoff seeding and shot at a bye. Have to assume the Ravens game is a loss on the road at this point, given how well they are playing and the bad matchup with mobile QBs. The Packers are 8-2 and will be serious favorites in their remaining games after this one - wouldn’t shock me at all if they end up with 13 wins. The Seahawks have a tougher schedule but not as bad as the Niners, plus that second game against SF is obviously in SEA where the Niners have struggled quite a bit. 

This week’s game against GB is huge for SF’s playoff seeding and shot at a bye. Have to assume the Ravens game is a loss on the road at this point, given how well they are playing and the bad matchup with mobile QBs. The Packers are 8-2 and will be serious favorites in their remaining games after this one - wouldn’t shock me at all if they end up with 13 wins. The Seahawks have a tougher schedule but not as bad as the Niners, plus that second game against SF is obviously in SEA where the Niners have struggled quite a bit. 
Hopefully seeding will be set by week 17 and we won't need to win in Seattle.

George Kittle is on the field. He's going through pre- pre-game warmups with Ross Dwelley, Kyle Juszczyk, Fred Warner, others. Kittle is not expected to play, but it's notable that he's doing a lot more this week than last.

- Matt Barrows via Twitter
Excited to see Kittle, Sanders and a Deebo together and healthy.  Get well fellas

I read Dee Ford's hamstring iniury could sideline him for a bit. Dramonte Moore took his place when he went out and had the forced fumble to seal the win. 

It was good to see both Deebo and K'Waun come back in after leaving with shoulder injuries. Let's hope theres no bad news Monday about anyone else.

Deebo joined Rice and Owens as the only 49ers wide receivers since 1995 to have at least eight catches and 100 yards in back-to-back games. Samuel also became the first 49er to have multiple games of eight catches and 100 yards in the same season since Anquan Boldin in 2014.

In addition, Samuel became the only 49ers rookie in franchise history to have multiple games of eight catches and 100 yards. Rice (1985) and tight end Monty Stickles (1960) are the only other rookies to do it once.

Dante Pettis saw the least amount of playing time of any of the 49ers’ receivers. He was on the field for two offensive snaps, did not see any passes thrown his way, and saw no action on special teams. Wow.

Snap counts against the Cardinals

Total offensive snaps: 77

Quarterback – Jimmy Garoppolo 77

Running back – Kyle Juszczyk 41, Tevin Coleman 38, Raheem Mostert 38, Jeff Wilson 1

Wide receiver – Deebo Samuel 61, Kendrick Bourne 42, Emmanuel Sanders 36, Marquise Goodwin 23, Richie James 10, Dante Pettis 2

Tight end – Ross Dwelley 69, Garrett Celek 23, Levine Toilolo 1

Offensive line – Laken Tomlinson 77, Mike Person 77, Mike McGlinchey 77, Justin Skule 77, Weston Richburg 77

Total defensive snaps: 69

Defensive line – Nick Bosa 57, DeForest Buckner 52, Arik Armstead 48, Solomon Thomas 26, Damontre Moore 23, Sheldon Day 23, Jullian Taylor 21, Dee Ford 21

Linebacker – Fred Warner 69, Dre Greenlaw 67, Elijah Lee 25

Defensive back – Jimmie Ward 69, Jaquiski Tartt 69, Richard Sherman 69, Emmanuel Moseley 65, K’Waun Williams 42, Ahkello Witherspoon 6, D.J. Reed 3, Tarvarius Moore 2, Marcell Harris 2

Total special teams plays: 26

Mark Nzeocha 22, Lee 22, Moore 22, Harris 17, James 15, Witherspoon 14, Wilson 13, Celek 12, Mitch Wishnowsky 11, Bourne 10, Ward 10, Moore 10, Buckner 9, Armstead 9, Reed 8, Toilolo 7, Kyle Nelson 6, Mostert 6, Tartt 6, Moseley 6, Warner 5, Thomas 5, Day 5, Daniel Brunskill 4, Chase McLaughlin 4, Person 4, Richburg 4, Tomlinson 4, McGlinchey 4, Skule 4, Goodwin 4, Juszczyk 2, Greenlaw 2

Inactives:

QB C.J. Beathard
K Robbie Gould
RB Matt Breida
LB Azeez Al-Shaair
LT Joe Staley
TE George Kittle
NT D.J. Jones

Week 11 PFF grades...not a good game as far as grades go compared to most of the season, but PFF isnt the be all, end all when looking how well players played. That said, the O-line hasnt looked very good the past few weeks, is it time to be concerned?

Here we go...

PFF data has shown that you don't have to be running the ball effectively to be effective using play action. Yesterday was a prime example. Despite the #49ers RBs averaging just 1.5 ypc, Garoppolo was 10-11, 151 yards, 1 TD, 149.1 passer rating when using play action.

Top five offensive grades

James Jr. 91

Samuel 84.4

Garoppolo 75.6

Juszczyk 70.4

Coleman 66.1

James only had one touch, but it went for 57 yards. Samuel continued his efficiency. Eight catches and six going for first downs. He continues to rack up yards after the catch. Of Samuel’s 134 yards, 49 of those came after the catch.

It’s tough to look past two throws considering how costly those turnovers were, but there was far too much good from Garoppolo on Sunday. His adjusted completion percentage was 88.4 when you factor in four drops and two throwaways. Garoppolo continues to keep the offense ahead of the chains and perform well under pressure.

Coleman’s role in the passing game will be critical moving forward, especially if the 49ers continue to struggle running the ball. Coleman finished with three catches for 48 yards in the air and took two for first downs.

Juice wears so many hats for this offense. It’s nice to see him rewarded with targets.

Bottom five offensive grades

McGlinchey 58.0

Goodwin 56.2

Mostert 51.0

Skule 43.2

Tomlinson 35.2

Three starting linemen in the bottom five may explain the running game struggles. McGlinchey’s struggles continue this season, as he allowed six pressures. Skule versus Chandler Jones didn’t have much of a chance. It got so bad, at one point the 49ers had to triple-team Jones. Skule allowed eight pressures, while Tomlinson allowed four.

Top five defensive grades

Taylor 82.5

Greenlaw 75.8

Tartt 70.9

D. Moore 70.7

Ford 69.6

The Cardinals should get some credit for keeping the Niners on their heels all afternoon. San Francisco made timely stops, but this felt like the first game all season where a defender didn’t have a dominant performance.

Bottom five defensive grades

Buckner 59.4

Thomas 57.7

Williams 56.1

Day 49.2

Warner 48.8

It didn’t seem like any defender played noticeably poor. PFF disagrees, as it’s another poor game from Warner. The different run concepts put Warner in some difficult positions. This is the first game where a starter didn’t grade 80.0 or higher.

The pass-rush was non-existent for the majority of the game. The 49ers had one quarterback hit all game. They did limit the big play, and that’s how they were able to come away with a win

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/11/18/20971038/pff-grades-and-snap-counts-from-the-49ers-win-over-the-cardinals

Last edited by a moderator:
This is crazy:

Nick Wagoner @nwagoner

Mentioned this just now on @KNBR and story for Friday: #49ers about to play the toughest 3-game stretch this late in the season in NFL history. No team has played three straight games against teams with an .800+ winning percentage this late in the season in the Super Bowl era.

2:12 PM · Nov 19, 2019

This is crazy:

Nick Wagoner @nwagoner

Mentioned this just now on @KNBR and story for Friday: #49ers about to play the toughest 3-game stretch this late in the season in NFL history. No team has played three straight games against teams with an .800+ winning percentage this late in the season in the Super Bowl era.

2:12 PM · Nov 19, 2019
As a fan, looking forward to the rest of season schedule.  Way more fun to watch 49ers play good teams.  As long as they win of course.

Kind of interesting that all 4 of Garoppolo's TDs against AZ were thrown to guys who were UDFAs.  Dwelley with 2 and Bourne and Wilson with one each.

Wednesday practice news:

Matt Maiocco @MaioccoNBCS on Twitter:

George Kittle -no practice
Matt Breida -no practice
Emmanuel Sanders -no practice
Deebo Samuel -no practice
Robbie Gould -no practice
Joe Staley -no practice
Dee Ford -no practice
D.J. Jones -limited
Azeez Al-Shaair -limited

Kyle Shanahan said he believes all those players will come down to the wire whether they can play Sunday night or not.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/130982-kickoff-49ers-packers-benefit-george-kittle-samuel-emmanuel-sanders/

Late kickoff for 49ers-Packers could benefit George Kittle, Deebo Samuel, Emmanuel Sanders
By David Bonilla

Sunday's matchup between the San Francisco 49ers and Green Bay Packers was flexed from an afternoon kickoff into primetime. The game has significant playoff implications with the winner potentially taking control of the NFC and the conference's best record.

It may not seem like much, but the added four hours of preparation will also benefit the 49ers' injured players. Among those players are tight end George Kittle (knee, ankle), and wide receivers Deebo Samuel (shoulder) and Emmanuel Sanders (ribs), none of which will practice on Wednesday.

Head coach Kyle Shanahan spoke with reporters before Wednesday's practice and discussed what playing on primetime means for him and his team.

"It's always good when you feel like everyone's watching you," Shanahan said. "I think guys are used to the national (games), but for me, it's different when you know every coach and every player is watching in the league. I think that's really cool when all your peers get to sit back and watch.

"Besides that, I'm just glad we've got four more hours for Kittle, and Deebo, and Emmanuel to rest and recover."

Shanahan was serious about that last part. Do four more hours really make that big of a difference? The coach believes it does.

"When you have a lot of guys that are banged up, the later [kickoff] can be the better," Shanahan added. "I think it's a little harder to get going early in the morning. If it was an East Coast Monday-night game, it would probably be the best, except I wouldn't want to travel and be on the road.

"But the longer our guys can have, the better. Our guys need it right now."

Welp.

Most TDs nullified by penalty this season:
1. 49ers (7)
2. Saints (6)
3. Cowboys (5)
4. Chargers (4)
T5. Chiefs (3)
T5. Buccaneers (3)

Players with multiple TDs nullified:
George Kittle (3)
Cam Brate (2)
Justin Jackson (2)
Latavius Murray (2)
Raheem Mostert (2)
Randall Cobb (2)

The top 5 all have QBs that are playing very well this seaosn

Highest and lowest percentage of catchable targets leaders (PFF)

1. Saints (82.6%)
2. Vikings (81.8%)
3. Raiders (80%)
4. 49ers (78.3%)
5. Cowboys (78.2%)
28. Rams (70%)
29. Dolphins (69.9%)
30. Bengals (69.7%)
31. Panthers (69.4%)
32. Browns (69.4%)

As of a few hours ago, Kittle, Bosa, Sherman, and Juszczyk currently have the most Pro Bowl votes at their positions for the NFC. Juice and Bosa have the most votes in the NFL at their positions.  Ian Rapoport says Armstead and Buckner are #2 and #3 behind Aaron Donald at Defensive Tackle. We also have the 2nd most leading vote getters behind Baltimore. Check the leaderboard here:

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/Baltimore-Ravens-Quarterback-Lamar-Jackson-Leads-Pro-Bowl-Voting-By-Fans.aspx

Given Jimmys habit of INTs, I went back and looked at how he bounced back afterwards, because he seems to be able to forget quickly and move on.

On the 10 drives following his INTs this season, Jimmy is 32 for 36, 376 yds, 2 tds, 0 ints for a passer rating of 128.

Dude has a short memory for sure. :thumbup:

Some practice news today, with a link.....

Tight end George Kittle returned to the practice field on Thursday, a sign he could also return to the 49ers’ lineup Sunday night to face the Green Bay Packers.

Kittle has not practiced since sustaining left knee and ankle injuries on Oct. 31 against the Arizona Cardinals. On Thursday at practice, he wore a blue jersey, signifying that he was off-limits for physical contact.
Rookie wide receiver Deebo Samuel, who experienced a shoulder injury on Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals, also was spotted at practice wearing a blue jersey. Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders did not appear to be practicing, but he is expected to be available to face the Packers as he nurses a ribs injury.
Running back Matt Breida (ankle) and defensive end Dee Ford (hamstring) were among the 49ers going through rehabilitation work on a side field. Coach Kyle Shanahan said earlier this week he anticipates Ford missing multiple games due to his condition. Breida could be a game-time decision.
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/george-kittle-returns-49ers-practice-limits-contact

All hands on deck in the passing game Sunday. 

This is gonna be fun to watch!
Fun to watch, perhaps. Fun to prognosticate, not so much.

In a 12-team PPR league with very short benches and already taking a zero (two byes at the wr position)...I had Sanders in the lineup.  Deebo is available in free agency.  I gulped and dropped Samules for Diontae Johnson.

Man this  game has been fun to watch!!!! Jimmy didnt throw any INTS, Running game got going, Kittle was being Kittle, defense was lights out.

Wow.

Welcome back George Kittle. Offense is just so much better when he is in. 

Other than Sherman’s knucklehead penalties that gave GB their TD, nothing to complain about.  

John Averageman has thrown 12 TDs in 8 games as a starter in  a 49ers uni. avg'd about 63% comp, 275 yards/g,m, and 1 INT per game. exactly what am I missing here? I just don't see it with the Niners . I'm not drinking the kool-aid. They're a bad, really bad team, without much talent at the skill positions save for Kittle, and a pretty terrible coaching staff that has one of the worst records in the NFL over the past two seasons. I don't see SF magically turning this carpet ride around and making it work. 

There's nothing more than potential bye-week fillers and desperation plays on this team, but nothing you'd stick your nect out to draft and have that person be a building block of your fantasy team. I can't imagine any of these players , outside of Kittle, being selected anywhere but the rounds close to the kickers - i.e., 2nd to last, last, and waiver wire fodder.

by Halloween they'll be calling for John Averageman to be benched. He's not a good starting QB.
Still waiting for @Tanner9919 to come eat some crow.

There were some BS penalties. The Bucker hit that gave them a first down on 3rd and 35 was a joke. The two on Sherman were bad but he has to be smarter than that. 

Great game overall. DJ Jones is a difference maker. Richie James needs more touches on offense. Witherspoon looks great. Garp's no track star, but he needs to just tuck it and run more. They should also throw to the RBs more. Not sure if it's the playcalling but the offense always seems to start cold and warm up as the game progresses.

Super pleasantly surprised about the game. I had a negative outlook on the game and thought this is where they get exposed as frauds when it comes to top tier team rankings.

Super pleasantly surprised about the game. I had a negative outlook on the game and thought this is where they get exposed as frauds when it comes to top tier team rankings.
The game previews in the Athletic this week made me think the Niners were going to get smoked. 

The game previews in the Athletic this week made me think the Niners were going to get smoked. 
Having watched multiple GB games this year, I expected the Niners to win this week having Kittle back. Didn’t expect a blow out but the GB matchup didn’t scare me.  

Defense just overwhelmed GB with their speed. They also tackled really well tonight. Nothing after the catch

Early Monday tidbits. More to come later.

The San Francisco 49ers now own the top-ranked defense in the NFL. The unit ranks No. 1 in total yards allowed per game (248.0), passing yards allowed per game (136.9), and No. 2 in points allowed per game (14.8).

How balanced was 49ers defense?

Their 2 highest-graded PFF defenders weren’t even D-linemen: They were Fred Warner (92.9) and Jimmie Ward (91.4). This was a top-notch at performance at all levels — what it takes to create Rodgers’ worst career game

49ers PFF pressure counts from win over Packers are… staggering:

- Nick Bosa: 5
- DeForest Buckner: 5
- Arik Armstead: 5
- Damontre Morre: 5
- Fred Warner: 3

That’s an entire squad of D-linemen racking up pressures, plus Warner eating off Saleh’s well-timed blitzes

According to the AWS Cloud, the #49ers now have a 43% chance of claiming home field advantage after their win over the Green Bay Packers.

49ers opposing QBs and their net-passing yards this season:

Andy Dalton: 291
Kyler Murray: 204 (wk 9)
Russell Wilson: 189
Jameis Winston: 174
Mason Rudolph: 160
Kyler Murray: 131 (wk 11)
Kyle Allen: 100
Aaron Rodgers: 81
Baker Mayfield: 78
Case Keenum: 50
Jared Goff: 48

Nick Bosa's 21.9% pass-rush win rate through Week 12 is the best rate that PFF has recorded for a rookie in the first 12 weeks of any season dating back to 2006

Bosa’s reaction when he saw #Packers backup Alex Light enter in place of injured RT Bryan Bulaga: "I was like, ‘All right, I’m on the left.’”

Bosa also worked well against LT David Bakhtiari, who recently faced Joey Bosa, too: "He’s had a rough time with the Bosa boys."

The #49ers had 5 sacks against Green Bay, giving them 44 for the season, most in the NFL. That's also their most in a season since 2009 (also 44).

Arik Armstead  has 10 sacks this season (leads 49ers). He had 9 in his career before this season (this is his 5th season)

Shanahan making the switch at LT was everything. Allowed him to open up the playbook.

19 plays with Skule in the game: 41 yards (2.4 yards per play)

14 plays with Brunskill in the game: 142 yards (11.3 yards per play). Scored on all three possessions.

About Skule:  (via David Lombardi on Twitter):

"Instead of focusing on his own good performance at a foreign position, Dan Brunskill went out of his way to shower praise on Justin Skule’s toughness to me…. Brunskill told me that Skule has been playing with massive bruising on his left leg that worsened last week. But Brunskill said that Skule never tried to showcase the bruising to advertise toughness. He emphasized that Skule does not carry himself like a 6th-round rookie thrust into the fire of NFL starting LT, and used that to illustrate just how effective this 49ers offensive line has been in overcoming injuries to so many different tackles to play well enough to support a 10-1 record. It starts with unit's attitude and commitment to cohesion, Brunskill said, and he emphasized that Skule’s attitude exemplifies that."

Green Bay drives (and yards each drive)

Fumble (-13 yards)
Punt (6 yards)
Punt (1 yard)
Punt (-3 yards)
Turnover on downs (52 yards)
Punt (0 yards)
Punt (4 yards)
Punt (-7 yards)
TD (65 yards)
Turnover on downs (44 yards)
End of game (60 yards)

Jimmy Garoppolo over past 4 weeks/NFL rank:

67.6 completion % - T-7th
1,242 passing yards - 3rd
8.39 yards/attempt - 4th
11 TDs - 1st
109.7 passer rating - 4th

Jimmy For the season:

6th in completion % (68.8)
7th in ypa (8.1)
11th in rating (100.6)
T-5th in TDs (20)

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/11/25/20981347/49ers-winners-and-losers-its-nice-to-have-kittle-back-packers-rodgers

Winners and losers: It’s nice to have Kittle back

You could draw names out of a hat and they’d probably be a winner.

The San Francisco 49ers looked like they were the team coming off a bye week after beating the Green Bay Packers 37-8. If you named a player, they probably had a standout performance Sunday night. The offense not being able to convert on third down was frustrating, but outside of that you’re starting to nitpick. Here are the winners and losers from Sunday night.

Winners

Jimmie Ward

Ward was everywhere on defense. Ward was making tackles near the line of scrimmage, breaking up passes in the middle of the field, breaking up passes down the sideline. Calling Ward versatile would be selling what he did Sunday night short. Against that quarterback and that offense, the 49ers secondary needed to bring their A game. Ward led the charge.

George Kittle

The only time Kittle hasn’t been a winner this season was when he didn’t play. The best player on the team returned to action with a six-catch, 129 yard performance that was capped off by a 61-yard touchdown on a double move. Kittle is the engine that makes this 49ers offense go. Kittle didn’t look like a player that was battling a bone bruise the past couple of weeks.

Fred Warner

Warner officially gets a playmaker label, if he hasn’t had one already. Warner finished with a team-high 11 tackles, all solo. He had the early sack in the game that set the tone. He makes a stop after stop around the line of scrimmage. The play to sniff out a screen pass was impressive, and a great illustration of how Warner’s awareness is the reason he’s making all of these plays. He’s such a smart player.

Losers

Justin Skule

I tweeted that Skule was on the field for 19 plays, and the 49ers could only muster 41 yards. The next 14 plays, the 49ers scored on all three possessions while gaining 142 yards. Kyle Shanahan said after the game that it was the offensive line’s coach that made the call, and Shanahan didn’t know who was at left tackle. I’m not buying it. Skule was pulled after getting beat far too easy and giving up a penalty. Daniel Brunskill subbed in, and all of a sudden, the Niners open it up again on offense. I’m not buying it, Kyle.

As for Skule, he was going up against two of the more productive pass rushers in the league. Skule is a sixth-round rookie that wasn’t supposed to step foot on the field this season. Context matters. He was outplayed on Sunday night, but it was an impossible task for him. Credit the coaching staff for pulling the trigger.

Marquise Goodwin

The 49ers winning in the way they did likely sealed the deal on Goodwin being active for the rest of the season. Jimmy Garoppolo will probably have to throw the ball more than 20 times to win again this season, that was the recipe for success for San Francisco. Running the ball, throwing quick-hitting passes all sprinkled in with big plays. Those big plays are going to come from players Shanahan trusts.

Winners

Defensive line

The biggest winner of the night goes to the defensive line. My goodness, what a performance. The Packers have one of the top offensive lines in football, and they looked like a college team. San Francisco sacked Rodgers five times, and they hit him another five times. D.J. Jones and DeForest Buckner clogged the middle, while Nick Bosa and Arik Armstead literally ran through the Packers linemen. If we’re taking into account the opponent, this may have been the most impressive outing by the 49ers’ defensive line all season, and that’s saying something.

Jimmy Garoppolo

Garoppolo’s numbers look great. 14/20 for 253 yards, two touchdowns, and a passer rating of 145.8. He was as efficient as you could ask. The fumbled snap could have been costly, but no harm no foul. Garoppolo was also the beneficiary of Brunskill being inserted into the lineup. Jimmy G looked like himself, knowing that he could trust Brunskill.

The reason he’s a winner is that everyone wanted to see how he’d look against a playoff team. His numbers were good, but his decision making was better. Zero “oh no” throws from Garoppolo against the Packers. Getting Kittle back makes everyone’s life easier.

Coaching staff

We talked about the decision to make a switch at left tackle. Ahkello Witherspoon came in for Emmanuel Moseley—which Shanahan said was planned—and picked up right where he left off, looking like an All-Pro cornerback. They not only have players ready to go, like the two rookie linebackers that are starting, but the coaches always appear to be one step ahead of the opposition.

If not for early pressure, Shanahan lights this Packers defense up even more. Shanahan said during his postgame presser that he knew what coverage he would get on Kittle’s long touchdown. On the other side of the ball, Robert Saleh broke some tendencies tonight. The 49ers aren’t known for being a blitzing team, and they come after Rodgers on the first third down for a sack. It also felt like we saw more man-to-man coverage Sunday than we have all season. The staff deserves a ton of credit for the gameplan against Green Bay.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/11/25/20982426/49ers-pff-grades-and-snap-counts-warner-and-ward-lead-the-way-for-the-defense

Here we go with grades and snap counts for week 12

Offensive snap counts

Defensive snap counts

The Brunskill swap for Skule proved to be the difference in the game. The offense took off once Brunskill was on the field. The wide receiver split was interesting. A heavy dose of Samuel and Sanders, with Bourne sprinkled in. James saw more playing time, while Pettis was only on the field for one passing play.

Celek has jumped Dwelley for TE2 unless it was just a matchup Kyle Shanahan liked. Guessing that was the case, considering Kyle Juszczyk played fewer than half of the snaps.

Top five offense grades

Kittle 90.8

Garoppolo 78.1

McGlinchey 75.7

Brunskill 72.9

Richburg 72.3.

The one area the Packers had the advantage coming into the game was on the edge against the 49ers tackles. Both tackles listed in the top five tells you all we need to know about how the game went. This may be the first time all season both offensive tackles have been listed here.

Kittle and Richburg are hardly a surprise. Garoppolo maybe for some, but he played the position exactly how Shanahan wants. Quick decision-making with the ball placement to allow receivers to run after the catch.

Bottom five offense grades

James 57.8

Mostert 57.1

Skule 55.6

Celek 54.1

Juszczyk 49.9

Skule gave up a sack and a QB hit and was also penalized in 20 snaps. He didn’t give the coaching staff much of choice. Mostert had a drop, and that’s likely why he falls here.

DEFENSE

Before the game was decided, Robert Saleh elected to use more “dime” defense on third downs. That’s why Tarvarius Moore played so much. It helps that Ward can cover the slot at a high level. This is where San Francisco is at its best, in my opinion. When they put their best athletes on the field. The speed was too much to handle for Green Bay.

Witherspoon played four more snaps than Moseley. That’ll be an interesting debate as the season goes along. Both have played well all season.

Top five defensive grades

Warner 92.9

Ward 91.4

Bosa 83.0

Armstead 74.7

D. Moore 73.6

Warner is developing into one of the NFL’s best linebackers. He had nine stops against the Packers, which, come on. He also had a sack and two hurries. In coverage, Warner was targeted four times and allowed four catches, but only for eight total yards. The definition of a dominant performance.

Ward had four stops and broke up two passes in coverage. It’s a luxury to be able to put your starting safety down in the slot and have zero drop off. That speaks to the depth and talent on this defense.

Once again, the defensive line is well-represented. Bosa was credited with five total hurries, including a sack. He has another sack and hurry negated by a penalty. Moore and Armstead each have five pressures as well. For good measure, so did Buckner.

Bottom five defensive grades

Thomas 52.0

T. Moore 45.8

Al-Shaair 45.2

Reed Jr. 43.6

Williams 37.9

Al-Shaair is still in that “running around like a chicken with his head cut off” phase. He’ll be fine. Thomas actually came in before Moore on third downs but didn’t produce, while Williams missed a tackle and was flagged for a pass interference call. Williams was turned around in coverage a couple of times as well.

On the night, the defense finished with only four missed tackles. It’s not just their athleticism but the ability to finish plays that are making life a living hell for opposing offenses.

huthut said:
Funny, I had no worries coming into this game. I didn't foresee the total beatdown but I thought we'd win comfortably, by 7+. 

Next week at Baltimore? I'm worried. Haha. It'll be a good one. Can't wait. 

So much for no injuries. Damontre Moore broke his arm and is out for the season. 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/11/25/20982656/49ers-injury-updates-damontre-moore-suffered-a-broken-forearm-and-is-out-for-the-season

We thought the San Francisco 49ers escaped the Packers game without any new injuries, but that wasn’t the case. Kyle Shanahan announced Monday afternoon that defensive end Damontre Moore broke his forearm during Sunday night’s game. Here is Shanahan on Moore’s demeanor:

I know he’s really down because he wanted to be apart of us for the rest of the year. It was really cool how he played these two weeks. It was exactly like the preseason. He came off the street and played at a high level. We can’t tell you how impressed we were with him. Shanahan said Moore played through a broken forearm all game. Called him a “special dude.”

Jeremiah Valoaga will likely be promoted from the practice squad. That’s a tough blow. Moore replaced Solomon Thomas and was much more effective. He was originally filling in for Ronald Blair, who was lost for the season two weeks ago with a torn ACL.

Shanahan said Dee Ford has a chance to play against the Ravens next Sunday. The head coach said that Ford was expected to miss around two weeks with a hamstring injury, and Sunday should put him right around that timetable. Asking Valoaga to play 34 snaps, the same amount Moore played, or right around, there seems like a big ask. More than ever, this is the week the Niners will need athleticism upfront.

Users who are viewing this thread