What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Churches - Stop Trying To Be "Cool" (1 Viewer)

Do you agree with Rachel Held Evans on this?

• I sometimes go to church. Definitely agree with her

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • I sometimes go to church. Maybe agree with her

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I sometimes go to church. Probably don't agree with her

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I sometimes go to church. Definitely don't agree with her

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I don't go to church at all. But I'd probably agree with her

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • I don't go to church at all. And I'm not sure if I agree with her

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I don't go to church at all. And I don't think I agree with her

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I don't go to church at all. And I don't care what the church does

Votes: 48 44.9%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I was reading through some articles from Rachel Held Evans who unfortunately died last weekend. She was just 37 and had some interesting thoughts on how the church can stay "relevant" and attractive to younger people. She was a powerful voice for folks her age and those exploring and seeking. 

This article is probably just as relevant to anyone, not just millennials. 

Want millennials back in the pews? Stop trying to make church ‘cool.’

The TLDR version is: Church doesn't need to try and be "cool". That the "uncoolness" is maybe even part of the draw with ancient practices like Communion and Baptism and such. She said church should be what it is and not try to pander to popular tastes. FWIW, Rachel Held Evans was one of the earliest and most influential voices for including the LGBTQ Community in Christianity. 

Full article below if you want to read it. 

My question to you is do you agree with her?

Bass reverberates through the auditorium floor as a heavily bearded worship leader pauses to invite the congregation, bathed in the light of two giant screens, to tweet using #JesusLives. The scent of freshly brewed coffee wafts in from the lobby, where you can order macchiatos and purchase mugs boasting a sleek church logo. The chairs are comfortable, and the music sounds like something from the top of the charts. At the end of the service, someone will win an iPad.

This, in the view of many churches, is what millennials like me want. And no wonder pastors think so. Church attendance has plummeted among young adults. In the United States, 59 percent of people ages 18 to 29 with a Christian background have, at some point, dropped out. According to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, among those of us who came of age around the year 2000, a solid quarter claim no religious affiliation at all, making my generation significantly more disconnected from faith than members of Generation X were at a comparable point in their lives and twice as detached as baby boomers were as young adults.

In response, many churches have sought to lure millennials back by focusing on style points: cooler bands, hipper worship, edgier programming, impressive technology. Yet while these aren’t inherently bad ideas and might in some cases be effective, they are not the key to drawing millennials back to God in a lasting and meaningful way. Young people don’t simply want a better show. And trying to be cool might be making things worse.

You’re just as likely to hear the words “market share” and “branding” in church staff meetings these days as you are in any corporate office. Megachurches such as Saddleback in Lake Forest, Calif., and Lakewood in Houston have entire marketing departments devoted to enticing new members. Kent Shaffer of ChurchRelevance.com routinely ranks the best logos and Web sites and offers strategic counsel to organizations like Saddleback and LifeChurch.tv.

Increasingly, churches offer sermon series on iTunes and concert-style worship services with names like “Vine” or “Gather.” The young-adult group at Ed Young’s Dallas-based Fellowship Church is called Prime, and one of the singles groups at his father’s congregation in Houston is called Vertical. Churches have made news in recent years for giving away tablet computers , TVs and even cars at Easter. Still, attendance among young people remains flat.

Recent research from Barna Group and the Cornerstone Knowledge Network found that 67 percent of millennials prefer a “classic” church over a “trendy” one, and 77 percent would choose a “sanctuary” over an “auditorium.” While we have yet to warm to the word “traditional” (only 40 percent favor it over “modern”), millennials exhibit an increasing aversion to exclusive, closed-minded religious communities masquerading as the hip new places in town. For a generation bombarded with advertising and sales pitches, and for whom the charge of “inauthentic” is as cutting an insult as any, church rebranding efforts can actually backfire, especially when young people sense that there is more emphasis on marketing Jesus than actually following Him. Millennials “are not disillusioned with tradition; they are frustrated with slick or shallow expressions of religion,” argues David Kinnaman, who interviewed hundreds of them for Barna Group and compiled his research in “You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church . . . and Rethinking Faith.”

My friend and blogger Amy Peterson put it this way: “I want a service that is not sensational, flashy, or particularly ‘relevant.’ I can be entertained anywhere. At church, I do not want to be entertained. I do not want to be the target of anyone’s marketing. I want to be asked to participate in the life of an ancient-future community.”

Millennial blogger Ben Irwin wrote: “When a church tells me how I should feel (‘Clap if you’re excited about Jesus!’), it smacks of inauthenticity. Sometimes I don’t feel like clapping. Sometimes I need to worship in the midst of my brokenness and confusion — not in spite of it and certainly not in denial of it.”

When I left church at age 29, full of doubt and disillusionment, I wasn’t looking for a better-produced Christianity. I was looking for a truer Christianity, a more authentic Christianity: I didn’t like how gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people were being treated by my evangelical faith community. I had questions about science and faith, biblical interpretation and theology. I felt lonely in my doubts. And, contrary to popular belief, the fog machines and light shows at those slick evangelical conferences didn’t make things better for me. They made the whole endeavor feel shallow, forced and fake.

While no two faith stories are exactly the same, I’m not the only millennial whose faith couldn’t be saved by lacquering on a hipper veneer. According to Barna Group, among young people who don’t go to church, 87 percent say they see Christians as judgmental, and 85 percent see them as hypocritical. A similar study found that “only 8% say they don’t attend because church is ‘out of date,’ undercutting the notion that all churches need to do for Millennials is to make worship ‘cooler.’ ”

In other words, a church can have a sleek logo and Web site, but if it’s judgmental and exclusive, if it fails to show the love of Jesus to all, millennials will sniff it out. Our reasons for leaving have less to do with style and image and more to do with substantive questions about life, faith and community. We’re not as shallow as you might think.

If young people are looking for congregations that authentically practice the teachings of Jesus in an open and inclusive way, then the good news is the church already knows how to do that. The trick isn’t to make church cool; it’s to keep worship weird.

You can get a cup of coffee with your friends anywhere, but church is the only place you can get ashes smudged on your forehead as a reminder of your mortality. You can be dazzled by a light show at a concert on any given weekend, but church is the only place that fills a sanctuary with candlelight and hymns on Christmas Eve. You can snag all sorts of free swag for brand loyalty online, but church is the only place where you are named a beloved child of God with a cold plunge into the water. You can share food with the hungry at any homeless shelter, but only the church teaches that a shared meal brings us into the very presence of God.

What finally brought me back, after years of running away, wasn’t lattes or skinny jeans; it was the sacraments. Baptism, confession, Communion, preaching the Word, anointing the sick — you know, those strange rituals and traditions Christians have been practicing for the past 2,000 years. The sacraments are what make the church relevant, no matter the culture or era. They don’t need to be repackaged or rebranded; they just need to be practiced, offered and explained in the context of a loving, authentic and inclusive community.

My search has led me to the Episcopal Church, where every week I find myself, at age 33, kneeling next to a gray-haired lady to my left and a gay couple to my right as I confess my sins and recite the Lord’s Prayer. No one’s trying to sell me anything. No one’s desperately trying to make the Gospel hip or relevant or cool. They’re just joining me in proclaiming the great mystery of the faith — that Christ has died, Christ has risen, and Christ will come again — which, in spite of my persistent doubts and knee-jerk cynicism, I still believe most days.

One need not be an Episcopalian to practice sacramental Christianity. Even in Christian communities that don’t use sacramental language to describe their activities, you see people baptizing sinners, sharing meals, confessing sins and helping one another through difficult times. Those services with big screens and professional bands can offer the sacraments, too.

But I believe that the sacraments are most powerful when they are extended not simply to the religious and the privileged, but to the poor, the marginalized, the lonely and the left out. This is the inclusivity so many millennials long for in their churches, and it’s the inclusivity that eventually drew me to the Episcopal Church, whose big red doors are open to all — conservatives, liberals, rich, poor, gay, straight and even perpetual doubters like me.

Church attendance may be dipping, but God can survive the Internet age. After all, He knows a thing or two about resurrection.

Twitter: @rachelheldevans

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably not the right person to be answering this question since I'm probably among the least religious people on earth. But her argument does make sense to me. Whenever I've seen snippets of what goes on at the "cool" churches it reeks of inauthenticity and trying too hard at least IMO.

I quit going to church ages ago, but most people I know that do go to church go to the powerpoint ones with acoustic guitars and lattes.  

The Baptist church around the street went full powerpoint recently, and I always thought baptists were the most hardcore.  

Since selling out it's crazy full so whatever they are doing is working.  

What are the goals here?  I mean is it to get butts in seats to get tithing, or staying true to your roots and dying off?  I would say you gotta capture that revenue and market share or just fold up.

It all started when they replaced the church organist playing Bach with the guitar strummer playing The Doobie Brothers.  

She wanted church to be more like it was when she was a kid in the '80s.

People in the '80s wanted church to be more like it was when they were kids, in the '50s.

People in the '50s wanted church to be.......well, you know where I'm going with this.

Anyway, whether you want to admit it or not, the fact is that churches have been evolving for the past 2000 years. Going "full powerpoint" isn't that much different from going "full stained glass and pews" back in the 1200s or whenever that took place.

The TLDR version is: Church doesn't need to try and be "cool". That the "uncoolness" is maybe even part of the draw with ancient practices like Communion and Baptism and such. She said church should be what it is and not try to pander to popular tastes.
Every organization and every person needs to be true to who they really are.  In the case of long-standing institutions that "who they are" is represented by their brand.

Don't ever change your brand.  It may evolve over time as you change and the way your customers think of you changes, but 99% of the time it's a terrible idea to try and change a brand inorganically.  Typically, new brands confuse existing customers and you aren't really enough of who you're portraying yourself to be to win over converts.

So I'd say she nailed it.

I think churches are just trying to stay with the times and technology. Elders of the church aren't getting any younger. A local church here has at least 2 services each Sunday, one that is a more traditional setting (choir and piano/organ and hymn-type music) and one with a contemporary feel (full band, contemporary music, preacher a little less 'stiff', etc.).

People in the '80s wanted church to be more like it was when they were kids, in the '50s.

People in the '50s wanted church to be.......well, you know where I'm going with this.

Anyway, whether you want to admit it or not, the fact is that churches have been evolving for the past 2000 years. Going "full powerpoint" isn't that much different from going "full stained glass and pews" back in the 1200s or whenever that took place.
That's a great point. So are you thinking it was more a nostalgia thing for her? 

In other words someone her age with the same openness to going to church may not feel the same if they hadn't ever been to church? 

Yep. I certainly would've liked church a lot more as a kid if they had the band, etc like a lot of churches have now. When I was little it was the "sit still and be quiet for an hour" type of service and what little kid likes that? 

My church literally runs 5 services targeted to different audiences.  Granted it's a large church and I'm sure many can't do that.  We do the Traditional which is the old school, "uncool" one.  I have no idea which one draws the largest crowd.

SUNDAY MORNINGS
8:15 – Classic
9:30 – Contemporary
11:00 – Traditional
11:00 – 801South
12:30 – Centro Cristiano Hosanna (Servicio en Español)
The Deep Family Worship – 2nd Sunday of each month at 9:30 am

That's a great point. So are you thinking it was more a nostalgia thing for her? 

In other words someone her age with the same openness to going to church may not feel the same if they hadn't ever been to church? 
It's nostalgia combined with confirmation bias. It's like she thinks the solution to Christianity's decline is to make church more like it was when she was a kid. After all, that version of church was a great experience for her.

But I don't think she considered the possibility that maybe "1980s Christianity" is the reason why so many people left the church in the first place. Maybe the whole "powerpoint thing" is what will lead to Christianity's resurgence?

My church literally runs 5 services targeted to different audiences.  Granted it's a large church and I'm sure many can't do that.  We do the Traditional which is the old school, "uncool" one.  I have no idea which one draws the largest crowd.

SUNDAY MORNINGS
Is that the rap version?

Yep. I certainly would've liked church a lot more as a kid if they had the band, etc like a lot of churches have now. When I was little it was the "sit still and be quiet for an hour" type of service and what little kid likes that? 
I'm not taking issue whatsoever with your point, it's reasonable and common for a lot of folks.  My question, though, is do you think you would have liked it more if you understood better why you were there and/or what you were 'supposed' to do while you were there?  I ask this because I grew up in a Lutheran church, left it by the time I got to college, was 'born again' just before I turned 30 and when I started reading the Bible for myself and realized how much of the service and sacraments came right out of the Bible, I saw the Lutheran and Catholic services both in a new light, in that they made sense.  I felt what had been missing when I was younger was knowing about the personal relationship we get to have with God and the importance of 'working at it'.  Either all that went over my head when I was younger, or that part wasn't really emphasized much in those old line churches.  I did notice that was a constant point the pastors made at the Methodist church I went to after being born again, and from the few non-denominational churches I've gone to over the years, that's a pretty common theme among them all as well.

My 'beef' with the 'modern' church is that the focus is more on morality than spirituality, so the points she made in this article don't really sway me one way or the other, as I see this as just the 2019 version of a 'dilemma' that has been part of the church as a thing since its founding.

I wonder what overall attendance has been for churches over the past 30 years.  I'm guessing it has gone down, no?

I wonder what overall attendance has been for churches over the past 30 years.  I'm guessing it has gone down, no?
Growth of religiously unaffiliated is up 5x since 1952 to 24% of US adults.

Since it's peak in 1925 attendance is down 50%, however as the baby boomers turn 60-70 the typical highest attendance zone it seems to have settled down a bit.  Once the boomers die off attendance is expected to start the downtrend again, sharply.  Maybe the power points have helped, who knows.  Prior to 2011 the pace of religious non-affiliation was seemingly increasing unabated.  

Some things that are saving these numbers are muslims and other immigrants.  

I go occasionally. If I had to put on my Sunday best and sit quietly while getting yelled at, I would never bother. When I do go, I chat with people and drink some coffee. Nobody cares about what I’m wearing or anything.  I grew up going to a baptist church and it was a place I’d never go to today. The non denominational that we’ll head over to is very welcoming. Many ethnicities, my wife who is catholic can cross herself if she wishes, gay couples, etc...  It’s a pleasant experience. 

Interesting topic. My household is pretty devout Pentecostal, wife much more so than me but I still go to all the functions and am at church every Sunday and occasionally through the week. In our 50's, live smack in the bible belt in SC. We have a couple of mega church's in Charlotte (Elevation being one of them, Pastor Steven Furtick). My oldest daughter goes there and frankly it's a rock concert every Sunday. Not my thing but I get it. @culdeus hit the nail on the head for me, what are you trying to accomplish?

If it's putting butts in the seats then you have to go outside of tradition. The younger generation isn't going to go willing to sit through a 2 hour Catholic Mass every Sunday, you gotta modernize it. But then I think about Jesus overturning tables at the Temple and feel like we're not too far away from that point with some of the stuff that goes on.

My small church (probably 100 or so total) is much more traditional but just this weekend the worship leader broke into a rendition of Marshall Tuckers "Can't You See" tailored with a church verse. I loved it because I love that song but I know the older crowd cringed. They would much prefer to bust out the red backed hymnal every week which would probably run me off. Interesting question.

I'm not taking issue whatsoever with your point, it's reasonable and common for a lot of folks.  My question, though, is do you think you would have liked it more if you understood better why you were there and/or what you were 'supposed' to do while you were there?  I ask this because I grew up in a Lutheran church, left it by the time I got to college, was 'born again' just before I turned 30 and when I started reading the Bible for myself and realized how much of the service and sacraments came right out of the Bible, I saw the Lutheran and Catholic services both in a new light, in that they made sense.  I felt what had been missing when I was younger was knowing about the personal relationship we get to have with God and the importance of 'working at it'.  Either all that went over my head when I was younger, or that part wasn't really emphasized much in those old line churches.  I did notice that was a constant point the pastors made at the Methodist church I went to after being born again, and from the few non-denominational churches I've gone to over the years, that's a pretty common theme among them all as well.

My 'beef' with the 'modern' church is that the focus is more on morality than spirituality, so the points she made in this article don't really sway me one way or the other, as I see this as just the 2019 version of a 'dilemma' that has been part of the church as a thing since its founding.
Yep, I'd agree with your points there. And as to your question, I don't know really. This was my early youth and we eventually quit going in my later youth, because my dad started working most weekends. Maybe it was just the pastor or the particular church (Baptist) I attended, but it was extremely dry and boring, and just wasn't very relatable for a young NRJ.

SUNDAY MORNINGS
We basically do the same thing and every service is packed.

Its the message that sells, not the service itself

I'm probably not the right person to be answering this question since I'm probably among the least religious people on earth. But her argument does make sense to me. Whenever I've seen snippets of what goes on at the "cool" churches it reeks of inauthenticity and trying too hard at least IMO.
We have a number of friends that go to the local non-secular (though appears to be Baptist-leaning Protestant).  The rock band (2 acquaintances in it), the giant screens and concert lighting, the preacher in casual clothes, etc.  

Something didn't feel right to me.  But, like Murph, I'm not one to judge.  If that is what makes the other people feel comfortable - who am I to judge?  What does bother me is when a religion teaches that their's is the best and only religion, and everyone else should join or burn.   

I go to church with my kids most Sundays.  It's walking distance from our house and they like it.  The 6-year old boy just likes to play with all the toys that aren't his.  Not sure why the 8-year old girl likes it, but she does.  It's a smaller church with probably 80-100 folks in attendance at each of the two Sunday services.  Like many churches nowadays, it's non-denominational and features music.  2-3 songs to start things off, 30-40 minutes of the pastor speaking, and another 2-3 songs.  The congregation is made up, mainly, of older folks.  They must love the music because they are there every week.  I've had coffee with the lead pastor and lunch with the second-in-command.  I helped in their "campus renewal" process (since I'm in real estate development / construction).  It feels good to give back to something that looks to give back to the community.  I'm not sure how much they're "trying to be cool".  The music factor, I guess, is them trying to pull a younger generation in.  They have summer camps for kids.  I guess that is them trying to pull more younger families in.  I don't care.  The camps are cheap and fun for the kids.  We'll be doing a couple again this summer.  

There is another, much larger church a few miles away from our house that we have been to a few times... mainly because we were invited by a family that we know through our kids' school.  Much younger and "hipper".  The pastor is much more progressive.  An assortment of donuts and coffee choices.  They, too, have music.  The band members change... the first time we went they had a full-on bluegrass thing going and that was awesome.  But there were just too many people.  I almost lost my kids in the crowds a couple times.  No real sense of actual community.  These guys are trying harder to "be cool", I felt.

Glad my kids agree that going to the smaller, "mom and pop" church is the way to go.

McDonald's Christianity has been, is, and always will become what the people want it to be. You don't become one of the largest corporations religions in the world without giving people what they want. When the people change, you as a corporation religion need to change with them, or you will become irrelevant. The author is wrong, and the locations churches that aren't updating to the times are closing. 

Yep, I'd agree with your points there. And as to your question, I don't know really. This was my early youth and we eventually quit going in my later youth, because my dad started working most weekends. Maybe it was just the pastor or the particular church (Baptist) I attended, but it was extremely dry and boring, and just wasn't very relatable for a young NRJ.
I think that for people who feel a connection to what's going on at a church tend to be more involved and passionate about that church, and will invest themselves more in it and its activities.  That's what I went through growing up Lutheran; I was their version of an altar boy and took some pride in doing that job well, but because it was more about doing that job for the 'glory' of it (very dorky I know, but that's just me) than considering it a solemn task as part of a larger effort to edify/glorify God, it got old fast.  There were a decent number of youth-oriented activities in that church when I was young, but again the spiritual side of it just went over my head, and as the kids in my youth group moved away and/or stopped coming to church, I lost my connection, and stopped going altogether.  For socially clumsy people like myself, I worry that not connecting to a church also leads to not connecting to God.  Not that you have to do the former to do the latter, but it certainly helps to not go it alone in spiritual matters.

While not Catholic, that is the church of my wife and kids so I'm answering in that realm.  (also didn't read the article, only responding to the TLDR summary).

Some of the people ask for "contemporary" services which means different music and layout of mass.  Our chruch says no, so people leave.  Some leave for different churches, some just leave the church.

If the goal of the church is to spread God's word, then they need to speak it to people so they will listen.

Do people think if mass was still spoken only in Latin that people would still be listening?  Of course not, the church has changed the way it delivers its message over time.  Heck, the message has even changed over time.

If you don't think the first spreaders of the Christian message weren't telling people what they wanted to hear, your fooling yourself.  No different now having to change the way the message is delivered so people listen.

I no longer go and don't care much about what goes on as long it doesn't include human sacrifices and similar.

As far as trying to make it more relatable. It certainly seems like a good idea to keep up with the times. It was huge when Latin was no longer required for catholic mass, and hugely appreciated by this former alter boy who no longer had to mumble.

However, I think most religions will continue to lose practitioners unless there's something that makes them passionate.

As a Christian, I don't think churches are dying because they are trying to be cool or aren't cool enough. It's that they stopped being relevant. Unlike when the masses were illiterate, any of us can read our own Bibles. Sermons are available on podcasts and YouTube whenever the whim strikes us to listen to them. So what's left? Free childcare and a sense of fellowship, I guess.  Except the fellowship that you get from a church is put on and artificial - everyone trying to prove to everyone else how good of a Christian they are instead of being a real person.  "Fellowship" when you get the sense that people are judging your every thought and word to see how holy you are isn't all that wonderful.  Secular clubs and organizations satisfy that sense of belonging much better than churches do. That's why no one ever asks what bars should do to keep from dying.

To me, it often feels like churches primarily exist to keep the pastor (and whatever other church staff) employed. I know that some churches do support a lot of missionary work or other charitable causes, but I think their relevance would increase if they increased their value to their own communities. Feed the hungry, rake some lawns, volunteer to do some minor repair work... and yes, provide some free childcare, but not just because the church needs to take up a collection or the pastor wants everyone to know how smart he is. I feel like the modern church should operate more like a warehouse: someone has a need, the church will connect you with someone to fill that need. Of course, it should also be involved in educating people on the Bible and having regular prayer meetings and the like, but that stuff can happen all week long. The church should be open and operational (and more importantly functional to meeting the needs of its community) than just on Sunday morning and evening and then again on Wednesday night.

I'm a regular church-goer, and I strongly agree with this.  My church does two services -- one is traditional, and the other is a "modern" service that it supposed to appeal to families and younger people.  I despise the modern service, partly because it's watered down, but also because it comes across as trying too hard.

Jayrod said:
I'm sure there are a lot of churches with soft core preaching and feel-good services designed more for entertainment than teaching and preaching.  
This is my church's contemporary service.

I'm pretty intricately involved with the local mega-church (largest weekly attendance in Missouri) and have been for about 25 years (less a few years when I went off to college).  The church was only about 3 years old when I started attending as a teenager.

We now have 4 campuses, coffee shops and live bands with every service and a simulcast system so we can all watch the same sermon on Sundays.  There are also 2 massive annual conferences (one for men and one for women).

What I can tell you is this, we use many means to advance the gospel of Jesus and be a light in the darkness to the world.  We have a no-questions asked food pantry, free counseling services, disaster relief services and host many public service events for the local municipalities and schools.  Is some of what we do "trendy" and "cool"?  Yes.  But you know who is running those events?  Millennials who are trendy and cool.  They aren't being fake, it is who they are and what they like.  The senior pastor is about 60 years old now and he leads the overall vision and preaches, but leaves the style, music and decor to the younger crowd.  The result is a fantastic mix of amazing music and services with hardcore, Biblical preaching.  The pastoral team practices "expository" preaching, which is preaching the Bible verse by verse.  We have also seen some serious public backlash from sermons on Catholicism, homosexuality and yoga, so there isn't exactly a softening of the message going on.

I'm sure there are a lot of churches with soft core preaching and feel-good services designed more for entertainment than teaching and preaching.  But I know at our church, the idea is simply to make people feel welcome to come and hear the truth of Jesus in an environment where they can feel loved and accepted. 

I'm wondering what is behind the concern over declining attendance? Is it about the church not being able to survive if it doesn't have enough members? Is it the church is more "enjoyable" if membership is flourishing? Is it a competition thing with other churches/religions? Or is the thinking that the more church-goers the are, the better it is for society as a whole? I remember being told church was about a personal connection between the worshiper and God? How does the younger generation not attending church factor into her personal relationship with God?

To me, religion is the greatest self-help trick man has ever known but in order for the trick to work you must believe that the magic is real. You're not going get people to truly believe with gimmicks and giveaways but on the flip side how are you going to get young people in the door if they can't see past the trick part? I will say that growing up and attending Catholic church, the mass that gave away free coffee and donuts after the service was by far the most attended. Maybe some of those people only showed up for those delicious glazed donuts but I'm guessing at least a few of them ended coming back again because they felt that magic she's referring to. If you own a restaurant with truly great food but nobody is coming to eat there, what's the problem with some kind of loss-leader to get people in the door? And if you're dining there because you love the food, what does it matter if the restaurant is half empty?

I'm no fan of megachurches even though by most measures my church is.  We struggle a lot to keep a balance between what she complains about.  Ultimately, though, the problem with these kind of reviews of church service and what modern worship has become ( I am a worship leader) is that it focuses on one hour on Sunday and not the other 23 hours of that day, and the 24 hours of the other 6 days.  

We focus on small groups, service teams, community outreach, bible studies throughout the week, etc.  That is church.  The Sunday service isn't church by itself.  It is a congregational gathering, celebration and kick off point for the deeper studies during the week.  If you only do church on that one hour on Sunday you are ultimately missing the point of what it is there for.  At least, IMHO and in the opinion of my church leaders.

I'm wondering what is behind the concern over declining attendance? Is it about the church not being able to survive if it doesn't have enough members? Is it the church is more "enjoyable" if membership is flourishing? Is it a competition thing with other churches/religions? Or is the thinking that the more church-goers the are, the better it is for society as a whole? I remember being told church was about a personal connection between the worshiper and God? How does the younger generation not attending church factor into her personal relationship with God?

To me, religion is the greatest self-help trick man has ever known but in order for the trick to work you must believe that the magic is real. You're not going get people to truly believe with gimmicks and giveaways but on the flip side how are you going to get young people in the door if they can't see past the trick part? I will say that growing up and attending Catholic church, the mass that gave away free coffee and donuts after the service was by far the most attended. Maybe some of those people only showed up for those delicious glazed donuts but I'm guessing at least a few of them ended coming back again because they felt that magic she's referring to. If you own a restaurant with truly great food but nobody is coming to eat there, what's the problem with some kind of loss-leader to get people in the door? And if you're dining there because you love the food, what does it matter if the restaurant is half empty?
Being a Christian clearly includes gathering together to fellowship, pray and worship.  In the early church it was done in homes and synagogues and today is done in churches.

Declining attendance = declining practicing of Christianity = declining number of disciples = failing at what God asked us to do

That is why.  If less people want to be involved then we are doing something wrong.

I resented going to church every single time I went with my grandparents as a kid.  I spent my summers in Daytona Beach and we went to some Presbyterian church on the Halifax River.  Nothing like watching some old guy give a sermon while you can see folks behind his back though the glass wall boating/waterskiing on the river having a great time   

I don’t think church should ever be fun for this reason.  They should suffer like I did. 

Just wanted to say thanks for the thoughtful discussion. This sort of morphed beyond the "style" thing and that's great. This kind of thoughtful and honest sharing of viewpoints is what makes this board good in my opinion. Thanks. 

Edit to add, just saw @Osaurus    post. Sorry Buddy. :bag:  

So @Jayrod, the writer of the article in the original post is mildly upset with the tactics used by the church to bring in younger members. You're saying that if attendance is low then you've failed at what God has asked you to do. My question is are there any tactics that would be unacceptable to you if using meant flourishing church attendance? The writer of the article wanted the focus to be on the sacraments or I guess the meat of why you're there, maybe what the other woman called "participation in the life of an ancient-future community". If the crux of why there isn't enough to get people in the door, what's acceptable in terms of tactics where you'd feel you weren't letting God down (for poor attendance or for methods used to increase attendance)? I guess I'm saying I could see an opportunity for unscrupulousness when you say if attendance is low then you're letting down God. (Not by you but by anyone who may thinks this)

Really didn't know what box to check for, "I went to a massive amount of church, in fact attended different churches and studied theology at length but currently don't go to church and think she's right" option. 

So @Jayrod, the writer of the article in the original post is mildly upset with the tactics used by the church to bring in younger members. You're saying that if attendance is low then you've failed at what God has asked you to do. My question is are there any tactics that would be unacceptable to you if using meant flourishing church attendance? The writer of the article wanted the focus to be on the sacraments or I guess the meat of why you're there, maybe what the other woman called "participation in the life of an ancient-future community". If the crux of why there isn't enough to get people in the door, what's acceptable in terms of tactics where you'd feel you weren't letting God down (for poor attendance or for methods used to increase attendance)? I guess I'm saying I could see an opportunity for unscrupulousness when you say if attendance is low then you're letting down God. (Not by you but by anyone who may thinks this)
Oh, I absolutely think there are lots of things that are out of bounds if a church is simply doing it to boost attendance. I was mainly trying to answer your question as to why it is concerning to churches that church attendance is down. What we do about it however does have parameters and there are hard lines that should not be crossed if it is Christianity we are actually trying to practice.

It all started when they replaced the church organist playing Bach with the guitar strummer playing The Doobie Brothers.  
Jesus Is Just Alright- just Listen to the Music!   Let's all pray to Keep this Long train Running, and pretty soon my brothers, we'll be Takin it to the Streets!!! :headbang:

I’m an Orthodox Christian, I was raised to believe that the church lost its way starting with the Great Schism of 1054. It’s been a long, slow downward spiral to what we see today in the mega churches and the rise of atheism. As far as I know Orthodoxy has maintained decent numbers. I’m still a parishioner and believe most of what I just wrote.

We attend what would probably fall mostly into the category she's talking about.  Mega-church, projection screens, food, coffee shop, live music, etc.  I could do without most of it.  I'm guessing most could, although an awful lot of people hang out before or after service. It's the content that keeps people going back. 

They have a pretty fantastic kids program that leaves the teens in our circle of friends chastising us when they have to miss their service and they generally tie some kind of practical life lesson/advice/way to live better into a few bible verses.  Which, even for someone who isn't sure they believe in much of anything, makes an hour tolerable.  Occasionally even enjoyable.

Instead of screaming at young and single people that sex is a sin, focusing on the idea that married people should be having LOTS of sex, with god's seal of approval?  Yes, have some.

Trying to be less anxious/stressed/worried in a world that medicates a ####-ton for those very things?  OK. I'll listen.

Save the judgment.

Don't read to me from the bible for an hour. 

Don't ask me to passionlessly and mindlessly repeat after you in a dead language.

Don't scream at people about the #### they shouldn't be doing.

Give me something I can use practically, even if I don't believe all the same things you believe. 

Keep it moderately light/occasionally amusing.  

That's a pretty good start.  

I’m an Orthodox Christian, I was raised to believe that the church lost its way starting with the Great Schism of 1054. It’s been a long, slow downward spiral to what we see today in the mega churches and the rise of atheism. As far as I know Orthodoxy has maintained decent numbers. I’m still a parishioner and believe most of what I just wrote.
:oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread