What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (8 Viewers)

Suspend him for the rest of the season and vacate all the wins. 

C’mon OSU, do the right thing. It’s either that or the death penalty. 
Latest....who among us hasn’t done something stupid to impress a girl?

Suspend him for the first defensive play.

Bruce Feldman

@BruceFeldmanCFB

·

1h

SOURCES: #OhioState star DL Chase Young borrowed money from a family friend to fly his girlfriend to California to attend the Rose Bowl. Young paid that money back in April> I'll have more on the situation on #BigNoonKickoff on FOX later this morning:

I feel like I'm missing something. He took a loan from a friend and paid it back. I don't understand how any punishment whatsoever is "the right thing." I assume there's more to it than OSU hate?

I feel like I'm missing something. He took a loan from a friend and paid it back. I don't understand how any punishment whatsoever is "the right thing." I assume there's more to it than OSU hate?
It’s just some friendly  humor from our good friends in the BIG10

Last edited by a moderator:
Bowl games pay schools and conferences millions. The bowls afford this by using many revenue generating tactics, one of which is inviting numerous high school marching bands in economically well off neighborhoods to participate in the bowl game festivities, such as parades, pre-game and perhaps even 45 seconds on the field at half time. They do this because they’ve found upper-class parents, family and friends will spend thousands in travel expenses to go see that high school sophomore girl twirl a flag or blow a flute. Even if the parents, family and friends don’t buy tickets to the bowl game, the bowl games still share in the hotel revenue in the area. The more high school bands they invite, the fuller the hotels are, which is why the hotels are willing to share their revenue with the bowl games for using these tactics. But if the upper-class parents, family and friends do buy a ticket to the game to see little Suzie twirl a flag or blow their flute at halftime on the field, that’s even better for the bowl games.

The football players however, who make the whole bowl game possible, are a harder route of revenue for bowl games compared to little Suzie. Many of the football players come from families that live paycheck to paycheck and their circle of friends live the same. And when a 20 year old wants his girlfriend to attend a once in a lifetime opportunity to start in one of the most historic bowl games in history, and has the opportunity to borrow the money to pay for her travel, why in the world do we have a system in place that is a lose/lose situation for the players? They are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. And if that’s not enough, we can’t even have a real college football playoff because we would lose this precious bowl game money generating system that punishes the players who don’t come from rich families and neighborhoods. It’s sickening, and needs fixed.

But yes, if this happened to a player at Michigan or Penn State, I'd be piling on the "death penalty" shtick. 

Latest....who among us hasn’t done something stupid to impress a girl?

Suspend him for the first defensive play.

Bruce Feldman

@BruceFeldmanCFB

·

1h

SOURCES: #OhioState star DL Chase Young borrowed money from a family friend to fly his girlfriend to California to attend the Rose Bowl. Young paid that money back in April> I'll have more on the situation on #BigNoonKickoff on FOX later this morning:
ESPN "sources" are now talking about 4 games:oldunsure:  

It appears to be a fluid situation.  Lots of speculating.

Supposedly, it’s on Young to prove that the friendship is NOT based on football. 
Ah, so guilty until proven innocent. Interesting. I guess they figure better to start the punishment up front rather than fight it and wait until the larger games looking ahead. Just seems sort of bass-ackwards that you have to prove you are innocent rather than for the NCAA to prove he is guilty of something.

Extra Benefits One area that causes concern and raises the greatest number of questions involves a student- athlete or his family member’s receipt of an “extra benefit.” An extra benefit is defined as any special arrangement by an institutional employee or booster to provide a student-athlete or the student-athlete’s relatives or friends a benefit not authorized by the NCAA. The receipt of a benefit not authorized by NCAA regulations by a student-athlete or his parents, relatives or friends will immediately place the student-athlete’s eligibility for intercollegiate athletics competition in jeopardy. A parent may not sell memorabilia from their studentathlete’s athletic accomplishments at Michigan Tech. Parents or student-athletes selling memorabilia can jeopardize eligibility. Extra benefit rules apply to both student-athletes and parents. Examples of extra benefits include, but are not limited to, the following:   • A loan of money, regardless of temporary nature of loan, intent to pay back the value, or whom the loan is from (i.e. parents of teammates are not appropriate persons to offer loans to student athletes.)   • A special discount, payment arrangement or credit on a purchase or service (e.g., dry cleaning, legal representation);   • Free or reduced-cost housing;   • Transportation, an automobile or use of an automobile;   • Services (e.g., movie tickets, dinners, use of a car) from commercial agencies (e.g., movie theaters, restaurants, car dealers) without charge or at reduced rates; and   • Cash, gift certificates or other items with value.

What is? That's what I'm asking. Borrowing money from a friend is against the rules? Serious question, I don't know.
Yes...it's a "benefit" not authorized by the NCAA.

NOTE:  I am in no way arguing these rules should be in place, simply telling you what they are.  I think they're stupid personally.

What is? That's what I'm asking. Borrowing money from a friend is against the rules? Serious question, I don't know.

Edit: I see commish posted the answer. Thanks.
I think some are having an issue with the definition of "friend".  The RUMOR earlier was this was a "family friend" that he just met the summer before starting at tOSU.

ETA:  Or maybe those were Young's own words.

Last edited by a moderator:

They can just reinstate the wins later when players are allowed to get paid.  Like having your weed possession jail sentences vacated when it becomes legal in your state.

Bowl games pay schools and conferences millions. The bowls afford this by using many revenue generating tactics, one of which is inviting numerous high school marching bands in economically well off neighborhoods to participate in the bowl game festivities, such as parades, pre-game and perhaps even 45 seconds on the field at half time. They do this because they’ve found upper-class parents, family and friends will spend thousands in travel expenses to go see that high school sophomore girl twirl a flag or blow a flute. Even if the parents, family and friends don’t buy tickets to the bowl game, the bowl games still share in the hotel revenue in the area. The more high school bands they invite, the fuller the hotels are, which is why the hotels are willing to share their revenue with the bowl games for using these tactics. But if the upper-class parents, family and friends do buy a ticket to the game to see little Suzie twirl a flag or blow their flute at halftime on the field, that’s even better for the bowl games.

The football players however, who make the whole bowl game possible, are a harder route of revenue for bowl games compared to little Suzie. Many of the football players come from families that live paycheck to paycheck and their circle of friends live the same. And when a 20 year old wants his girlfriend to attend a once in a lifetime opportunity to start in one of the most historic bowl games in history, and has the opportunity to borrow the money to pay for her travel, why in the world do we have a system in place that is a lose/lose situation for the players? They are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. And if that’s not enough, we can’t even have a real college football playoff because we would lose this precious bowl game money generating system that punishes the players who don’t come from rich families and neighborhoods. It’s sickening, and needs fixed.

But yes, if this happened to a player at Michigan or Penn State, I'd be piling on the "death penalty" shtick. 
The NCAA is a joke, this is completely ridiculous.

Penn State fan here and clicked on the thread to pile on a bit, but if this is really over a few hundred dollars to fly his girlfriend to the Rose Bowl, I can't even get myself to. Come on NCAA, you suck so bad you are going to make me side with with OSU?

Penn State fan here and clicked on the thread to pile on a bit, but if this is really over a few hundred dollars to fly his girlfriend to the Rose Bowl, I can't even get myself to. Come on NCAA, you suck so bad you are going to make me side with with OSU?
Lol at a few hundred dollars.  

Penn State looks really bad.  Clemson will win by 85 today (do they play today?)
We play at 7:30. We should win, but the spread won’t be more than 30-40 probably. That’s just not how Dabo rolls. He knows if we win we’re in and he’d rather play 100+ guys and win comfortably than blow out someone by 70. 

Users who are viewing this thread