What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (7 Viewers)

If you know anything about PJ Fleck, the gophers or not susceptible to a trap game.

It’s certainly not a gimme at Iowa, but past history doesn’t mean a damn thing.
:lmao:

Fleck has been the Gophers' coach for less than 3 years and has never been anywhere remotely near a "trap game".  How exactly are we supposed to know what he's susceptible or not susceptible to (other than cocaine)? 

:lmao:

Fleck has been the Gophers' coach for less than 3 years and has never been anywhere remotely near a "trap game".  How exactly are we supposed to know what he's susceptible or not susceptible to (other than cocaine)? 
I’m willing to wager any amount of money to any person that the Gophers do not lose to Northwestern.

The trap game aspect is pretty simple. The players seem to have fully bought into PJ Fleck and he is not the type of guy that allows teams to look past  anyone. 

I’m willing to wager any amount of money to any person that the Gophers do not lose to Northwestern.

The trap game aspect is pretty simple. The players seem to have fully bought into PJ Fleck and he is not the type of guy that allows teams to look past  anyone. 
You can make those sorts of wagers at a sports book, offshore book or bookie.  No need to seek out the counterparty for this type of wager.

I hope you're right.  I'd love nothing more than to see Fleck and the Gophers run the table.  

Minnesota is an underdog at Iowa this weekend, where they've not won in over a decade.  The'll be at best a pick-em against Wisconsin in the season finale.  Honestly, the game in between at Northwestern is a dangerous trap for the Gophers as well.  I've got Minnesota finishing the season on an 0-3 run.
Northwestern is horrible.

They're trying to suspend him for Maryland and Rutgers in the hopes that the NCAA will say that's good enough and he can play against PSU and Michigan.
Guess NCAA said that's good enough.

"@KirkHerbstreit

JUST IN. 
NCAA has gotten back to @OhioStAthletics appeal and has dropped the games to 2 for Chase Young. This is final. He’s suspended for 2 games and will miss Rutgers Saturday and be back for Penn St and Michigan. His honesty and OSU being forthcoming helped immensely."

L5UT1ger said:
Minnesota is undefeated in a P5 conference and beat a top 10 team and is ranked. . . 8th behind 4 one loss teams, three of which have 0 top 25 wins.

Baylor is undefeated in a P5 conference and beat two top 25 teams and is ranked. . . 13th behind 2 teams with 2 losses.
You could make a small case for Oregon, but Utah?  IMO, neither of those two teams should be ahead of Minnesota or Penn State.

Guess NCAA said that's good enough.

"@KirkHerbstreit

JUST IN. 
NCAA has gotten back to @OhioStAthletics appeal and has dropped the games to 2 for Chase Young. This is final. He’s suspended for 2 games and will miss Rutgers Saturday and be back for Penn St and Michigan. His honesty and OSU being forthcoming helped immensely."
This was never in doubt....and if they'd had a formidable team instead of Rutgers, it would have only been a one game suspension.  :shrug:  

psychobillies said:
That was said kind of tongue and cheek.
Ha...figured you’d know that. I wonder though if Bama gets ‘left out’ if it’ll change any school opposition to the 8 game conference schedule.  I understand UF and UGAs issue with it...but not really others.

@General Malaise c'mon you know Vegas doesn't set lines to pick winners. They set lines to get money on both sides. So they're not telling you that Minnesota and Baylor are overrated. They're telling you that betters like yourself  think they're overrated.  Splitting hairs maybe...

For Minnesota I somewhat understand the line. Nontraditional football school off big win going to tough place to play. The line has let down game built in.  Plus people love trends and they haven't won there in 20 years. Here's the thing though- What is Iowa's big win? At Iowa State? Close loss to Penn State? I'll take Gophers huge OL plus the free points on the road in an ugly and unconvincing win.

Yes Baylor is probably overrated and will probably lose. The question is if the public is overrating Oklahoma as well. People see the Jalen Hurts highlights and forget they're a missed 2 point conversion away from losing at KState and vs IowaSt in consecutive weeks.  Their defense has given up 89 points those last 2 weeks. IMO there's a good chance Baylor keeps things close enough to cover the 10.5. Baylor has a good Front 7 but can they keep Hurts in the pocket?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha...figured you’d know that. I wonder though if Bama gets ‘left out’ if it’ll change any school opposition to the 8 game conference schedule.  I understand UF and UGAs issue with it...but not really others.
I hope so.  When I went to the LSU/UGA game last year, it dawned on me that the last time I saw GA play live, Champ Bailey was playing.  It's almost like we're not in the same conference.

I guess I could Google some articles ... but what are UF's and UGa's objections to an 8-game conference slate?

I guess I could Google some articles ... but what are UF's and UGa's objections to an 8-game conference slate?
Thought it had something to do with the cocktail party.
The Cocktail Party wouldn't have to go away ... unless some of the 8-team proposals dictate that you don't play everyone in your division every year. I just assumed going to an 8 team schedule meant adding a second opponent from the opposite division.

The Cocktail Party wouldn't have to go away ... unless some of the 8-team proposals dictate that you don't play everyone in your division every year. I just assumed going to an 8 team schedule meant adding a second opponent from the opposite division.
Right...it's the combo of that and the yearly OOC rival that causes the need to book an extra OOC home game every other year when they go away to the OOC rival.  If the SEC goes to 9 conference games...they will lose a home game every other year.  The cities are obviously impacted by that lost of (avg) $16M a game.

Killing the Cocktail Party seems like the logical solve.

Right...it's the combo of that and the yearly OOC rival that causes the need to book an extra OOC home game every other year when they go away to the OOC rival.  If the SEC goes to 9 conference games...they will lose a home game every other year.  The cities are obviously impacted by that lost of (avg) $16M a game.

I think the Cocktail Party heading to campus is only a matter of time.  You could see some kind of 3 year rotation versus home and home with Jacksonville mixed in for awhile.

I misunderstood -- the issue with the Cocktail Party is that played at a neutral site? I was thinking the issue was that Georgia and Florida would stop playing every year, which I didn't understand because both teams are in the East.

Aside from Cocktail Party considerations ... I do understand how it could look unappetizing to trade an annual out-of-conference home game for a home-and-home with an SEC opponent.

Kill all divisions and a lot of these problems go away. Bama and Florida/Georgia etc play every 2 years then. There is literally no reason for these conferences to stick to divisions. 

Instead of Bama being dragged down by Miss, Miss St, Tennessee and whatever other loser team they are playing from the east they could get a crack at Florida and Georgia and improve their SoS. 

Instead of Florida State playing at Georgia Tech every 12 years (INSANE, they are a few hundred miles from each other) they could play every other. 

#### divisions. 

It’s so stupid! And preventable. 
Most things associated with the NCAA is quite stupid. I think my health has taken a turn for the better since I stopped stressing so much about it. If those decision makers aren't going to put any logic and effort into it then why the hell would I.

Kill all divisions and a lot of these problems go away. Bama and Florida/Georgia etc play every 2 years then. There is literally no reason for these conferences to stick to divisions. 
YES!  Divisions are the dumbest creation in all of sports.  Get rid of them everywhere.  The NFC West had a playoff team representative with a sub .500 record a few years ago.  That shouldn't ever happen.  NBA should have realigned 15 years ago to even out the ridiculous East/West schism in talent.  College football divisions are terrible.  

YES!  Divisions are the dumbest creation in all of sports.  Get rid of them everywhere.  The NFC West had a playoff team representative with a sub .500 record a few years ago.  That shouldn't ever happen.  NBA should have realigned 15 years ago to even out the ridiculous East/West schism in talent.  College football divisions are terrible.  
That same NFC "West" had Atlanta in New Orleans in that division once, with Dallas in the "East".

Sorry man!
:shrug:   happens.  I don't think they're getting a bowl bid even if they end up eligible.

Special teams coach should probably be fired after this one, though.  They muffed a punt, had a punt blocked, and hilariously failed to recover an onside kick.

As long as Oregon and Utah keep winning and meet in PAC 12 championship game each with 1 loss the Pac 12 is looking good to get in playoff.  Only teams that would keep them out would be Minnesota or Baylor going undefeated, or Georgia winning out and giving LSU their only loss in SEC championship game.  A 1 loss non conference champion Alabama will not be in ahead of Oregon and likely not ahead of Utah in that scenario.

I rarely talk about "rivals" on here, but I found this quite amazing.  People want to know what happened to MSU?  This is what happened....in a little game of "where are they now?" what is supposed to be this year's senior class (2016)...remember, 2016 was one of their best classes ever according to the rankings:

sexual assault 
sexual assault 
sexual assault 
NFL
on roster
transfer
transfer
sexual assault
transfer
transfer
transfer
transfer
on roster 
transfer
transfer
on roster 
PEDs
on roster 
on roster 
kicker

MAC_32 said:
Once Minnesota won in double OT at Fresno the path was clear to 8-0. A pile of home games against bad teams with two road games against also terrible opponents - Purdue and Rutgers. Credit where credit's due for last weekend. Now some big tests lie directly in front of them. And if they beat them then they won't be 8th anymore.

Baylor gets their legitimacy test this weekend. They are now where Minnesota was last weekend. The road wins over Kansas State and Oklahoma State become a whole lot more noteworthy if paired with a win over Oklahoma. A loss and you see why this team went down to the wire against TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia, and winless Rice.
Re: Minnesota - Close wins against bad teams are worse than close losses against good teams? They had a test against a good team and won. Why not have them in the top 6 then move them down if they fail rather than keep them down until they prove themselves while propping up those that have not proved themselves other than losing closely?

Re: Baylor - Didnt they beat the team that beat Oklahoma, who is still ranked ahead of them? LIke beat KState 31-12. Do common opponents matter or not? Again, why not put them in the top 6 then move them down if they fail?

If all we have to do is look at Vegas, lets just not play and award whomever is the favorite the championship. Games dont matter anymore.

This finding the "best teams" using the eyeball test versus who actually deserves to be in the playoff has got to go away. Otherwise, its just like the second version of the BCS with 4 getting in instead of 2. Utter BS.

The original BCS was the best system so far imo. Sure, it wasnt perfect, but at least it mattered more who you played, who the teams you played against, played against, and what happened in those games. Now, instead we care what Vegas thinks, recruiting rankings, and the names on jerseys. And yes, i know my school's team benefits from the current system. I dont care, its still dumb.

I feel like ive seen this discussion since 2003. Best team v. Most deserving. I rarely bother engaging, but since my school's team is involved this year for the first time in a long time, i guess i cant help myself.

I don't buy the Tua was hurt excuse.  Tua doesn't play defense.  That was Bama's biggest problem.  That and they have a terrible schedule OOC.  
Tua being hurt and off his game was pretty evident. Alabama lost by 6 points. You're restating things I've already said after that, but it's a myopic, biased viewpoint to act like he couldn't have won the game if healthy.

Re: Minnesota - Close wins against bad teams are worse than close losses against good teams? They had a test against a good team and won. Why not have them in the top 6 then move them down if they fail rather than keep them down until they prove themselves while propping up those that have not proved themselves other than losing closely?

Re: Baylor - Didnt they beat the team that beat Oklahoma, who is still ranked ahead of them? LIke beat KState 31-12. Do common opponents matter or not? Again, why not put them in the top 6 then move them down if they fail?
If both of them keep winning then the rankings take care of themselves. I don't think it's any more complicated than that. The names change every year, but there is seemingly a case or three like this every season. The legitimate ones keep winning, but most of them don't. We'll see if either of them buck the trend as they both have challenges ahead of them in the short term. I think Minnesota can. I don't know if they will, but I think they can. There are some quality players on that team and PJ Fleck is proving what I thought he would. I thought they would win vs. Penn State last week, but am skeptical how they handle success going on the road against a team they're better than but is infamous for stepping up in spots like this one. I honestly don't know anything about Baylor. Saturday will be my first exposure to them.

Tua being hurt and off his game was pretty evident. Alabama lost by 6 points. You're restating things I've already said after that, but it's a myopic, biased viewpoint to act like he couldn't have won the game if healthy.
And he may sit this week.

If both of them keep winning then the rankings take care of themselves. I don't think it's any more complicated than that. The names change every year, but there is seemingly a case or three like this every season. The legitimate ones keep winning, but most of them don't. We'll see if either of them buck the trend as they both have challenges ahead of them in the short term. I think Minnesota can. I don't know if they will, but I think they can. There are some quality players on that team and PJ Fleck is proving what I thought he would. I thought they would win vs. Penn State last week, but am skeptical how they handle success going on the road against a team they're better than but is infamous for stepping up in spots like this one. I honestly don't know anything about Baylor. Saturday will be my first exposure to them.
Baylor is the same now as they were the last time they felt like they had a claim to a playoff spot.  They play an atrocious and inexcusable OOC schedule, win some games they probably shouldn't blow out some teams they probably shouldn't and then get to Mid November and scream for people to pay attention to them.  Then they get gobsmacked when OU trounces them and we never hear from them again.  By the way, whatever happened to Bryce Petty?

Minnesota is the best story of the season thus far and I loved their win over PSU, but I think the next few weeks will be their come to Jesus moment of the season.  Iowa on the road, the closest thing to a bye the following week in Chicago (though I could see Fitzgerald pulling this one out; he always has one rabbit in his hat each year) then Wisconsin.  Yikes.  Get through all that and the reward is Ohio State in Indy.  This is the team I'm rooting for outside of Oregon.  Go Gophers!

Baylor is the same now as they were the last time they felt like they had a claim to a playoff spot.  They play an atrocious and inexcusable OOC schedule, win some games they probably shouldn't blow out some teams they probably shouldn't and then get to Mid November and scream for people to pay attention to them.  Then they get gobsmacked when OU trounces them and we never hear from them again.  By the way, whatever happened to Bryce Petty?

Minnesota is the best story of the season thus far and I loved their win over PSU, but I think the next few weeks will be their come to Jesus moment of the season.  Iowa on the road, the closest thing to a bye the following week in Chicago (though I could see Fitzgerald pulling this one out; he always has one rabbit in his hat each year) then Wisconsin.  Yikes.  Get through all that and the reward is Ohio State in Indy.  This is the team I'm rooting for outside of Oregon.  Go Gophers!
We might see an Oregon/Minnesota Rose bowl

Instead of Bama being dragged down by Miss, Miss St, Tennessee and whatever other loser team they are playing from the east they could get a crack at Florida and Georgia and improve their SoS. 

Instead of Florida State playing at Georgia Tech every 12 years (INSANE, they are a few hundred miles from each other) they could play every other. 

#### divisions. 
Divisions in college football are dumb and need to be eliminated. Just like the 4 best teams in college football should play in the playoff, the best 2 teams in a conference should play in the conference championship game... and with divisions that doesn't happen when the two best teams in the conference are in the same division. 

Been saying this for years, but this is why I am skeptical of any "superconference" realignments or anything else that would force P5 teams to give up games against G5 or FCS schools.

There's too much money in those seventh or even eighth home dates in a season, and those won't be possible any more if it's just P5s playing each other. What P5 is suddenly going to be OK with five home dates so that some other team can have seven?

If all we have to do is look at Vegas, lets just not play and award whomever is the favorite the championship. Games dont matter anymore.

This finding the "best teams" using the eyeball test versus who actually deserves to be in the playoff has got to go away. Otherwise, its just like the second version of the BCS with 4 getting in instead of 2. Utter BS.

The original BCS was the best system so far imo. Sure, it wasnt perfect, but at least it mattered more who you played, who the teams you played against, played against, and what happened in those games. Now, instead we care what Vegas thinks, recruiting rankings, and the names on jerseys. And yes, i know my school's team benefits from the current system. I dont care, its still dumb.

I feel like ive seen this discussion since 2003. Best team v. Most deserving. I rarely bother engaging, but since my school's team is involved this year for the first time in a long time, i guess i cant help myself.
Why can't we ditch the committee,  bring back the BCS and just take the top 4 teams?

He threw for 400 and 4.  He was healthy enough.  Bama has to push this narrative to justify putting them back in the conversation.   Smart gamesmanship and all, but I'm not buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread