What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (12 Viewers)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1202216102471884802

Finebaum.  "The country does not want to see Utah in the CFB playoffs!" 
I would disagree, simply from the point of they are someone different.  Most people are not fans of the teams that are consistently at the top.

We all get tired of seeing Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and the likes win titles, people not a fan of those teams like to see different teams.  In my opinion, this is why Clemson has had people pulling for them the last few years, they are someone different, and I get it.  I just happen to be a fan of Clemson's in-state rival, so I don't want to see them either.  For Utah to get in, one of the top 4 will need to lose (yes, I know LSU and Georgia play each other), and I would love to see that ... especially if it were Clemson and Ohio State.  Clemson specifically.

I would disagree, simply from the point of they are someone different.  Most people are not fans of the teams that are consistently at the top.
I agree with you.  It's hard to say the country does not want to see Utah when most of the country is happy Alabama isn't in it this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1202216102471884802

Finebaum.  "The country does not want to see Utah in the CFB playoffs!" 
Yet again, I'm left stupefied over why anybody cares what this guy has to say about college football.  He looks like a muppet egg.   Why is his opinion even remotely relevant?  Did he play?  Coach?  Was he an AD?  What is his area of expertise in football that makes his opinion something worth paying attention to?  

I’m not vouching for OU under any circumstance.  I do think the #4 team is going to get throttled as is tradition most years in the playoffs. There’s been more blowouts in the playoffs than close games and as much as everyone hates to admit it, there’s been at most two good teams each season in the past 5 and maybe three good teams this year. 
Didn't Bama win one year as a four seed?  :whistle:

It's happened twice.  The 2 seed has won 3 times.  1 and 3 have never won.  

The seeding in this has never really mattered. Not sure why we're wasting keystrokes on it other than I think we're in a rush to predict that the final team to make it in this year will get auto-crushed by any of the other three teams.  :shrug:

Frankly, I think Utah will fare better than OU because unlike the Sooners, the Utes play defense.  Well, in fact.  

The seeding in this has never really mattered. Not sure why we're wasting keystrokes on it other than I think we're in a rush to predict that the final team to make it in this year will get auto-crushed by any of the other three teams.  :shrug:

Frankly, I think Utah will fare better than OU because unlike the Sooners, the Utes play defense.  Well, in fact.  
Sooners are 25th in overall defense.  1st in offense FWIW.   https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Yeah they did, and actually that’s the year I felt we’re by far the least deserving 1 seed.  This should be playoff year 5 for Clemson with two of those being the 1 seed. The first time we housed OU and then lost to Bama, the second time we were not a great team.  That year we were coasting off the title the year before but Bryant was our QB. 

Yeah they did, and actually that’s the year I felt we’re by far the least deserving 1 seed.  This should be playoff year 5 for Clemson with two of those being the 1 seed. The first time we housed OU and then lost to Bama, the second time we were not a great team.  That year we were coasting off the title the year before but Bryant was our QB. 
As much as you keep going on and on about this - OU was up by a point at halftime and then just fell apart in the second half. They had a turnover on downs on Clemson's 30 in the 3rd quarter and another red zone turnover in the 4th quarter. Clemson was clearly better that night and won comfortably but it was not even close to the level of some of the other blowouts we've seen. You need to settle down. We're all very happy that your alma mater is good at football now.

As much as you keep going on and on about this - OU was up by a point at halftime and then just fell apart in the second half. They had a turnover on downs on Clemson's 30 in the 3rd quarter and another red zone turnover in the 4th quarter. Clemson was clearly better that night and won comfortably but it was not even close to the level of some of the other blowouts we've seen. You need to settle down. We're all very happy that your alma mater is good at football now.
:lol:

The seeding is kind of like the points on "Who's Line Is It Anyway?"; they don't really matter.

We're wasting keystrokes because what else is there to talk about this time of year?   :lol:

seriously.  i guess if people want to argue about specific "resume" this year, there are arguments to be had, but no way is Clemson not one of the best 4 teams.
I had to go work so didn’t stay up on this thread but even though I was saying I don’t think Clemson is definitely in with a loss (and I still don’t) it’s not because I don’t think they are one of the top 4 teams - I think they are but I’m not sure the committee does.  And as I mentioned, that ESPN predictor thing agrees with me - they give them almost no chance and I kind of agree if Utah wins.  I think Clemson would go ahead of a 2-loss conf champ but not a 1-loss one.

Doug B said:
Utah has held ten of twelve opponents to 17 points or fewer. USC scored 30 on Utah, and Washington scores 28.
I do think this is one of the problems with CFB - there’s just not enough data to make the decision they are trying to make (find the best 4 teams).  I have no clue if the information you just provided means much.  Maybe everybody OU and Utah played aren’t any good or are all great - or they played in rain.  I’m exaggerating but I think we need to expand to 8.  Yes, you aren’t getting more data but expanding to 8 or 16 means you are much less likely to leave out the best team.

I do think this is one of the problems with CFB - there’s just not enough data to make the decision they are trying to make (find the best 4 teams).  I have no clue if the information you just provided means much.  Maybe everybody OU and Utah played aren’t any good or are all great - or they played in rain.  I’m exaggerating but I think we need to expand to 8.  Yes, you aren’t getting more data but expanding to 8 or 16 means you are much less likely to leave out the best team.
I’m ok with 8 on one condition, take out the guess work. 5 P5 winners get in, the top G5 team gets in, top 2 remaining teams via BCS poll, no more than 2 teams from any conference.  If we go to 8 any other way, we get 3-4 SEC teams every year because it’s always “well, Bama only lost to Auburn and LSU, they must be great!”

I’m ok with 8 on one condition, take out the guess work. 5 P5 winners get in, the top G5 team gets in, top 2 remaining teams via BCS poll, no more than 2 teams from any conference.  If we go to 8 any other way, we get 3-4 SEC teams every year because it’s always “well, Bama only lost to Auburn and LSU, they must be great!”
If they went to 8 I’d be ok with that, although I’d be fine with the current process expanded to 8.

Agreed on the conference winners especially.  This year barring huge upset we would get:

LSU 

Ohio St

Clemson

Utah/Oregon

Oklahoma/Baylor

Memphis/Cincinnati/Boise

At Large #1 - Likely Georgia

At Large #2 - Argue it out between P12 runner-up, B12 runner-up, Wisconsin, and Penn State.  Florida not eligible per your rules if UGA makes it

Agreed on the conference winners especially.  This year barring huge upset we would get:

LSU 

Ohio St

Clemson

Utah/Oregon

Oklahoma/Baylor

Memphis/Cincinnati/Boise

At Large #1 - Likely Georgia

At Large #2 - Argue it out between P12 runner-up, B12 runner-up, Wisconsin, and Penn State.  Florida not eligible per your rules if UGA makes it
Would love this type of set up for the playoffs.

The nay-sayers that don't think 8 teams makes any sense, because that #8 seed would never upset the the #1 seed apparently think upsets never happen in college football.  That makes no sense.

This - 1000000000% this.

I'm okay with all power 5 conference champs getting in.... as long as they are all ranked as a top 12 team. I really don't want to see any four loss team in the playoff simply because a conference has a really weak division and that division's winner pulled off a miracle in the conference championship game, or the other team they were playing lost their start QB or something. If you win your conference championship, but you're not ranked as a top 12, then that conference's automatic bid becomes another at large bid. 

I got a source (I know, I know) inside the Athletic Dept (believe if you want) that says Jeff Scott is interviewing with Ole Miss. Who knows if anything comes from it, just thought it interesting. 

Probably very few here care but me, but IF the Bearcats win at Memphis Saturday the Cotton Bowl pick is going to be a sweat. Boise ranked 19th today, Bearcats 20. 
Could Cincy still jump past Boise St. with a win if the Broncos win on Saturday too?

From D2 Football.com

NORTHWEST MISSOURI STATE

6 National Titles

Simply put, the Bearcats are the DII football powerhouse. A perennial threat to both the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association and the national title, their coaches, teams, and trophies are the stuff legends are made of. The Bearcats history really begins when legendary DII coach Mel Tjeersdma led Northwest Missouri State to back-to-back titles in 1998 and 1999. The 1998 squad was the first DII football program to go 15-0 in a season, but they would do it again, most memorably in back-to-back seasons between 2015 and 2016.

Ten years later, Tjeersdma became just the second DII football coach to tally three titles, the most all-time (fellow Bearcats head coach Adam Dorrell would shortly join him as the third). In between the 1999 and 2009 championships, Northwest Missouri State was still in the hunt, losing four straight national championship games between 2005-08. All said, the Bearcats have appeared in 50 percent of the national championship games during the past two decades. That is utter dominance. 

They should have 10 titles but stumbled in those four from 2005-08. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if that's the real reason or if he didn't want to move west and that's the excuse.
I think that IS the reason why USC is sticking with Helton.  The new AD was told how much he had to spend on a new HC and his staff and it wasn't much.  USC just had to pay out something like $400MM to settle lawsuits, so the cupboards are bare financially and HEY, CLAY HELTON!  WE LOVE YOU NOW!

Users who are viewing this thread