What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (7 Viewers)

Got some scoop that Stoops was really close to joining the Noles....but they were also working Franklin, who was leveraging a PSU extension...which ultimately priced FSU out. Nothing surprising but Stoops was definitely close to taking it.

If you don’t automate it, the playoff field will be the same every year. 
1. No, it’s cyclical - anybody that thinks OSU, Clemson and Bama will be great for forever aren’t paying attention.  Just ask FSU, Florida, Miami, Nebraska, etc.

2. So?  I want the 4/8/16 best teams - college basketball always has Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, MSU as 1 seeds

1. No, it’s cyclical - anybody that thinks OSU, Clemson and Bama will be great for forever aren’t paying attention.  Just ask FSU, Florida, Miami, Nebraska, etc.

2. So?  I want the 4/8/16 best teams - college basketball always has Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, MSU as 1 seeds
1. I agree that things are cyclical, however I think the playoff era and transfers has shifted the scales in favor of dominance.  
2. I think an appropriate reward for winning your conference is getting into the playoff. Also if you automate that part, you get even more OOC games. Bama can play Penn State instead of Alabama A&M because that easy W doesn’t matter anymore. 

I could live with eye-test top-8 team losing their conference title game and being left out of an 8-team playoff. Kind of the same thing as a strong 1-seed losing in the Sweet 16 during March Madness.

To me, the conference title games could essentially be the unofficial first round of the college football playoffs. Admittedly, this works way better if conferences scrap divisions.

One thing that’s missing in FBS football is the ability for a team to start off 3-2 or even 2-3, then get healthy or get hot, and then streak into the playoffs. All other major college sports have that.
Granted these things have a way of working themselves out - namely, UVA will most likely get curb stomped later but in no universe do I want to watch LSU or OSU play Virginia in a 1/4 or even 1/8 matchup.

1. I agree that things are cyclical, however I think the playoff era and transfers has shifted the scales in favor of dominance.  
2. I think an appropriate reward for winning your conference is getting into the playoff. Also if you automate that part, you get even more OOC games. Bama can play Penn State instead of Alabama A&M because that easy W doesn’t matter anymore. 
If you tell me they will do 8 and it’s 5 champs + 3 at large - sign me up, no questions asked.  But if you want the best football then don’t make it an auto-qualifier.  That’s all I’m saying 

If you tell me they will do 8 and it’s 5 champs + 3 at large - sign me up, no questions asked.  But if you want the best football then don’t make it an auto-qualifier.  That’s all I’m saying 
I want 6 autobids, 5 P5 and top G5, then 2 WC but max of 2 per conference. You do that and I don’t see anyway anyone can ##### with a straight face. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Those easy wins shouldn't matter even in the current system. 

I want 6 autobids, 5 P5 but top G5, then 2 WC but max of 2 per conference. You do that and I don’t see anyway anyone can ##### with a straight face. 
I love the thought of a match up to start the season like Clemson vs. Oklahoma,  or Alabama vs Ohio State to start the season.   Teams can play BIGTIME OOC games without the threat of falling out of contention. 

This times 1000. The teams that don't win their conference will need very good OOC wins to be one of the two at large picks. Everyone wins in this scenario except the Alabama A&Ms that won't get that payday as often. 

Wisconsin may not drop at all after losing to OSU, given their ranking already includes losing to OSU. 
Why wouldn't they?  They would've lost twice to OSU.  You're telling me that a three loss Wisconsin team stays ahead of a 2 loss PSU team that as of this moment gave OSU its best game to date?  Interesting...  :coffee:

So Baylor who already lost to OU  at home in historic fashion  gets in for beating them at a neutral site?

They don’t matter, but teams aren’t willing to risk a loss early to a big school because their margin of error drops to nil.  
Like.....I don't know.....Oregon this year?
I think that's the point he's making.  If Oregon didn't play Auburn this year they would still very much be in the playoff conversation even with the loss to ASU.  If the conference champs got auto-bids, they're in.  Might see more big name OOC games if 2 losses (1 OOC and 1 conference) didn't pretty eliminate a team.  :shrug:      

I think that's the point he's making.  If Oregon didn't play Auburn this year they would still very much be in the playoff conversation even with the loss to ASU.  If the conference champs got auto-bids, they're in.  Might see more big name OOC games if 2 losses (1 OOC and 1 conference) didn't pretty eliminate a team.  :shrug:      
This. 

Yep.  This is why 8 teams is needed.

Why wouldn't they?  They would've lost twice to OSU.  You're telling me that a three loss Wisconsin team stays ahead of a 2 loss PSU team that as of this moment gave OSU its best game to date?  Interesting...  :coffee:
I think if the two teams are close enough in ranking (a ranking "cluster"), the Rose Bowl can select either team.  If Wisconsin gets blown out again, it will probably be Penn St., but if they keep it near the spread, it's up to the Rose Bowl.  I don't know what the factors are  Both teams probably travel well.  Penn St. has the more recent Rose Bowl appearance between the two.  I personally still don't consider Penn State a real Big Ten team, so would hope the Rose Bowl goes with tradition.

On merit,  do you punish Wisconsin because they had an extra game against one of the best teams in the country?  In the first game, Ohio St. was up 3-0 with less than a minute in the half, then scored a long td in the last 30 seconds to make it 10-0.  That was Ohio St.'s closest HT margin all season.  It was 10-7 with 4-5 minutes left in the 3rd qtr., then Ohio St. reeled off 28 straight points.  Wisconsin has a leg up on Penn State in the common game at Minnesota, so its a close call imo.

edit: here's an explanation:

Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to go to the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference. There is, however, a caveat to that clause in the contract.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.

In a cluster situation, the Tournament of Roses will take into account factors, in no particular order, such as: the last time a team played in the Rose Bowl Game, head-to-head results, regular season schedule, overall record, opponents played, past playoff or bowl appearances and performance, and historical matchups.

It should be noted that it is the strong preference of the Tournament of Roses, Pac-12 and Big Ten Conferences, that the highest-ranked available team in each conference be selected as the replacement team.
https://tournamentofroses.com/rose-bowl-game-presented-by-northwestern-mutual-selection-procedures/

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread