Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tom Servo

2019 College football thread - Utah moves up to a deluxe CFP apartment...in the sky-ay-ay.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Capella said:

Why wouldn’t we be shopping in the Urban aisle? FSU is easily a top 10-12 job. I would say USC is better for sure, so he would take that first but going to FSU wouldn’t be like going to Clemson before say, 2015. 

It has nothing to do with Clemson, but I don’t think Urban is in the market for a top 10-12 job. Why would he leave his top 3 dream job for a top 10-12 job that is the arch rival to the team where he won two titles?  It makes no sense at all.  I don’t think he’s in the market for any job, but I could maybe understand an NFL gig just to try something different.

 

On the flip side, what does FSU gain from hiring Urban?  All the reasons people made fun of him over the years are legit.  He does shady ####, his health is an issue/excuse depending who you ask, and he doesn’t stick around too long.  Plus he’d cost like $14M a year. 

Edited by bigmarc27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

It has nothing to do with Clemson, but I don’t think Urban is in the market for a top 10-12 job. Why would he leave his top 3 dream job for a top 10-12 job that is the arch rival to the team where he won two titles?  It makes no sense at all.  I don’t think he’s in the market for any job, but I could maybe understand an NFL gig just to try something different.

 

On the flip side, what does FSU gain from hiring Urban?  All the reasons people made fun of him over the years are legit.  He does shady ####, his health is an issue/excuse depending who you ask, and he doesn’t stick around too long.  Plus he’d cost like $14M a year. 

I have no idea why he would leave OSU for arguably a step down at USC, or a step down at FSU. He’s a weird guy but he’s in every rumor so I’m sure he’s at least listening. 
 

FSU would become an instant national title contender again by 2022 with him, so they’d gain that. I think everybody involved would accept that knowing he would also only last 5 years tops. 
 

I say all this realizing there probably isn’t even a 10% chance of getting him. I have no idea still why he left OSU. 
 

*if this all goes down I think we get Mark Stoops. 

Edited by Capella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Capella said:

I have no idea still why he left OSU.

You don't think it had anything to do with the Zach Smith issues?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Capella said:

I have no idea why he would leave OSU for arguably a step down at USC, or a step down at FSU. He’s a weird guy but he’s in every rumor so I’m sure he’s at least listening. 
 

He didn’t leave Ohio State, he was forced to resign.
 

If he wants to coach again, his top three dream jobs (OSU, ND, ??) will not be available. I would agree with you that FSU and USC may be pretty enticing, primarily because they are all that would be available. I would imagine USC would be his first choice of the two. 
 

I predict it’s USC or he sits out another year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WDIK2 said:

You don't think it had anything to do with the Zach Smith issues?

I figured they would just sweep it under the rug. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

He didn’t leave Ohio State, he was forced to resign.
 

 

He was??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the PAC-12 being down, I would think USC looks pretty appealing.  It would probably take Urban a few years to overhaul Clemson but he could be top dog in the PAC almost immediately.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

With the PAC-12 being down, I would think USC looks pretty appealing.  It would probably take Urban a few years to overhaul Clemson but he could be top dog in the PAC almost immediately.  

ACC is worse than the Pac 12.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Capella said:

He was??

Well “officially” he retired but come on, we know that’s not the real story, right? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

Well “officially” he retired but come on, we know that’s not the real story, right? 

I guess? I thought it was all blown over by the end of the year but I don’t really keep up with OSU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

With the PAC-12 being down, I would think USC looks pretty appealing.  It would probably take Urban a few years to overhaul Clemson but he could be top dog in the PAC almost immediately.  

I don’t know about usc but FSU is at least two really good recruiting classes from competing with the heavyweights. However, he could get to 10-2 in the acc pretty quick I’d imagine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

ACC is worse than the Pac 12.  

Meh.  Parity doesn’t mean worse.  Pac 12 hasn’t won anything in awhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Capella said:

I guess? I thought it was all blown over by the end of the year but I don’t really keep up with OSU. 

He would be a great coach to get. I liked him when he got to OSU, and was sorry to see him leave. I am liking this Ryan Day dude as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

He would be a great coach to get. I liked him when he got to OSU, and was sorry to see him leave. I am liking this Ryan Day dude as well!

Yea Day seems like a grand slam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

Why wouldn’t we be shopping in the Urban aisle? FSU is easily a top 10-12 job. I would say USC is better for sure, so he would take that first but going to FSU wouldn’t be like going to Clemson before say, 2015. 

I've got fat fingers too.  Hate it when I hit the 1 instead of the 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

I have no idea why he would leave OSU for arguably a step down at USC, or a step down at FSU. He’s a weird guy but he’s in every rumor so I’m sure he’s at least listening. 
 

FSU would become an instant national title contender again by 2022 with him, so they’d gain that. I think everybody involved would accept that knowing he would also only last 5 years tops. 
 

I say all this realizing there probably isn’t even a 10% chance of getting him. I have no idea still why he left OSU. 
 

*if this all goes down I think we get Mark Stoops. 

Hopefully mark stoops brings his brother Mike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SpurrierisisGod said:

I've got fat fingers too.  Hate it when I hit the 1 instead of the 2.

Oh hey it’s guy whose team won the peach bowl over Harbaugh after a decade in the gutter feeling frisky 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. USC has a female president who will not hire Urban on her watch. She's going to die on that hill.

2. Why is Florida State in such a hurry to fire Taggart?  What happened to all his recruiting classes and the patience he was promised?  It hasn't even been 2 full years.  Seems a bit hasty to me.  Desperate even.

3. Dallas just throttled the Eagles.  There isn't a vacancy there.  Garrett isn't going anywhere and there are more jobs in the NFL coming open sooner than Dallas.  Dan Quinn, Anthony Lynn, Adam Gase, the 26 year old in Cincy...all will be fired before Garrett.  Just a point of clarification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ in regards to #2 I think people had patience to catch up to Clemson etc but you can’t be 7-11 at FSU and almost lose to Louisiana Monroe in overtime (who is horrible) and preach rebuilding. Rebuilding does not mean beating Louisiana Monroe because they missed an extra point in overtime. That wasn’t part of the conversation. 
 

His recruiting class is fine and the qb he has coming in looks good but whatever, anybody can recruit here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

1. USC has a female president who will not hire Urban on her watch. She's going to die on that hill.

2. Why is Florida State in such a hurry to fire Taggart?  What happened to all his recruiting classes and the patience he was promised?  It hasn't even been 2 full years.  Seems a bit hasty to me.  Desperate even.

3. Dallas just throttled the Eagles.  There isn't a vacancy there.  Garrett isn't going anywhere and there are more jobs in the NFL coming open sooner than Dallas.  Dan Quinn, Anthony Lynn, Adam Gase, the 26 year old in Cincy...all will be fired before Garrett.  Just a point of clarification.

3- Garrett lasts until mid January at least.  If they go 10-6, win the NFC Least but don't at least make NFCC game, it's 60-40 he's gone. IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

It has nothing to do with Clemson, but I don’t think Urban is in the market for a top 10-12 job. Why would he leave his top 3 dream job for a top 10-12 job that is the arch rival to the team where he won two titles?  It makes no sense at all.  I don’t think he’s in the market for any job, but I could maybe understand an NFL gig just to try something different.

On the flip side, what does FSU gain from hiring Urban?  All the reasons people made fun of him over the years are legit.  He does shady ####, his health is an issue/excuse depending who you ask, and he doesn’t stick around too long.  Plus he’d cost like $14M a year. 

Urbs went from Utah --> Florida --> retirement #1 --> OSU --> retirement #2.  The next job has to be up from OSU, and there aren't many of those. ND, Bama, etc. none of whom are looking for a coach.  I can't see him going to the left coast for USC as his career outside of Utah AFAIK has been east of the Mississippi and he may not have any sway, connections, etc. out that way.  Then again, Urban Meyer's name gets you inside a lot of recruits' living rooms no matter where you go.

IMO, I can't see him taking the FSU job as it seems a step back -- unless he's looking for a challenge.  If he goes, maybe FSU will be Free Shoes University again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this on twitter - kind of hard to believe - 

 

Mac Jones will be the first backup QB to start due to injury in Saban's entire tenure at Bama. That's up there with the winning streak over unranked teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On one hand I think it would be great to see UF add a quality home and home. On the other hand I feel like they're trolling UCF.

 

@ScottStricklin: Attention ADs from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac-12 … @GatorsFB is looking to add additional Home-and-Home series against P5 opponents. Let’s connect and schedule quality games the fans want to see! #GoGators

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JaxBill said:

On one hand I think it would be great to see UF add a quality home and home. On the other hand I feel like they're trolling UCF.

 

@ScottStricklin: Attention ADs from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac-12 … @GatorsFB is looking to add additional Home-and-Home series against P5 opponents. Let’s connect and schedule quality games the fans want to see! #GoGators

 

It can be both 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awkward denial

@NicoleAuerbach: "If Coach (Taggart) were hit by a bus tomorrow, we would not target Coach Meyer, period," Coburn said. "I say that with all due respect to Coach Meyer, but we would not target Steve Spurrier either." https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2019/10/22/florida-state-football-debunking-rumors-flying-fsu-program-willie-taggart-ubran-meyer-kendal-briles/4048781002/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meyer might be the new Jon Gruden of coaching rumors.  Or is Gruden still the Gruden of coaching rumors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WDIK2 said:

Meyer might be the new Jon Gruden of coaching rumors.  Or is Gruden still the Gruden of coaching rumors?

Jay Gruden might become the Jon Gruden of coaching in a few months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 8:38 PM, Beef Ravioli said:

Well “officially” he retired but come on, we know that’s not the real story, right? 

He was "forced" by his wife and family to resign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JaxBill said:

On one hand I think it would be great to see UF add a quality home and home. On the other hand I feel like they're trolling UCF.

 

@ScottStricklin: Attention ADs from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac-12 … @GatorsFB is looking to add additional Home-and-Home series against P5 opponents. Let’s connect and schedule quality games the fans want to see! #GoGators

 

Joe Castiglione @soonerad

Ok, so you have my attention...... #Sooners #Gators

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 8:11 PM, Capella said:

Oh hey it’s guy whose team won the peach bowl over Harbaugh after a decade in the gutter feeling frisky 

Just pointing out that dumpster fires drop you out of the top 10 job opps.  I should know (muschamp/mclwain).  It'll be awesome when fsu drops 50 on uf this year to save taggert's job this year though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

He was "forced" by his wife and family to resign. 

I was under the impression it was the administration that forced the “retirement”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SpurrierisisGod said:

Just pointing out that dumpster fires drop you out of the top 10 job opps.  I should know (muschamp/mclwain).  It'll be awesome when fsu drops 50 on uf this year to save taggert's job this year though.

I don’t know that that’s true. Muschamp was a great score for UF, he just ended up being a bust. Don’t know what they were thinking with Mac however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

I was under the impression it was the administration that forced the “retirement”. 

President Drake took some liberty regarding what the board actually decided about Meyer, so Meyer was (and probably still is) pretty bitter towards Drake. Probably even bitter enough to leave over it. But Drake would have cost the school millions if he fired Meyer without cause. So no, Meyer wasn't forced to walk away from millions by those that owed it to him.

He walked away because his family valued his life more than those millions. He is sick. And was sick when he was at Florida. He literally signed a contract with his family that he would stop coaching if his health became questionable, before they were willing to let him accept the OSU job. When he collapsed on the sideline against Indiana last year, I knew his family would tell him he had to stop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

 

He walked away because his family valued his life more than those millions. He is sick. And was sick when he was at Florida. He literally signed a contract with his family that he would stop coaching if his health became questionable, before they were willing to let him accept the OSU job. When he collapsed on the sideline against Indiana last year, I knew his family would tell him he had to stop. 

I honestly can’t believe you believe any of that. 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Capella said:

I honestly can’t believe you believe any of that. 

From: https://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/jim-daly/urban-meyers-contract-with-his-family.html

Quote

But his wife said that if he ever signed another football contract he was going to have to sign a contract with the family, too. Meyer thought that was a good idea, so much so that when he held a news conference announcing his new contract with Ohio State, he shared the family contract (which was written by his daughter, Nicki) with the press.

What did it contain? Ten promises:

1. My family will always come first.

2. I will take care of myself and maintain good health.

3. I will go on a trip once a year with Nicki -- MINIMUM.

4. I will not go more than nine hours a day at the office.

5. I will sleep with my cell phone on silent.

6. I will continue to communicate daily with my kids.

7. I will trust God's plan and not be overanxious.

8. I will keep the lake house.

9. I will find a way to watch Nicki and Gigi play volleyball.

10. I will eat three meals a day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Current AP Poll 1.

Nick Saban $8.86 mil

2. Ed O $4 mil

3. Ryan Day $4.5 mil

4. Dabo $9.3 Mil

5. Lincoln Riley $6.38 mil

6. James Franklin $5.65 mil

7. Dan Mullen $6.1 mil

8. Brian Kelly ??

9. Malzahn $6.83 mil

10. Kirby Smart $6.87 mil

11. Cristobal $2.6 mil

12. Wittingham 4 mil

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 7:01 PM, Capella said:

Why would FSU hire Lane Kiffin? He can’t even win at fau 

I want him at Rutgers. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Capella said:

I don’t know that that’s true. Muschamp was a great score for UF, he just ended up being a bust. Don’t know what they were thinking with Mac however. 

Mac has turned Central Michigan around.  Bigly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Awkward denial

@NicoleAuerbach: "If Coach (Taggart) were hit by a bus tomorrow, we would not target Coach Meyer, period," Coburn said. "I say that with all due respect to Coach Meyer, but we would not target Steve Spurrier either." https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2019/10/22/florida-state-football-debunking-rumors-flying-fsu-program-willie-taggart-ubran-meyer-kendal-briles/4048781002/

So if Taggart gets hit by a bus on November 1st, does that mean they can go after Urban Liar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Capella said:

I have no doubt that the family contract exists. That’s not why he left though. 

:goodposting: It makes a good cover story.  Stories are good to read at bedtime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Current AP Poll 1.

Nick Saban $8.86 mil

2. Ed O $4 mil

3. Ryan Day $4.5 mil

4. Dabo $9.3 Mil

5. Lincoln Riley $6.38 mil

6. James Franklin $5.65 mil

7. Dan Mullen $6.1 mil

8. Brian Kelly ??

9. Malzahn $6.83 mil

10. Kirby Smart $6.87 mil

11. Cristobal $2.6 mil

12. Wittingham 4 mil

Worth it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 9:41 PM, General Malaise said:

1. USC has a female president who will not hire Urban on her watch. She's going to die on that hill.

2. Why is Florida State in such a hurry to fire Taggart?  What happened to all his recruiting classes and the patience he was promised?  It hasn't even been 2 full years.  Seems a bit hasty to me.  Desperate even.

3. Dallas just throttled the Eagles.  There isn't a vacancy there.  Garrett isn't going anywhere and there are more jobs in the NFL coming open sooner than Dallas.  Dan Quinn, Anthony Lynn, Adam Gase, the 26 year old in Cincy...all will be fired before Garrett.  Just a point of clarification.

I thought I remembered you being happy Taggart was gone. He seems like a terrible coach to me, regardless.

This play was related to me by an FSU fan, and I have questioned his in game coaching abilities since. FSU punter was averaging 43 yards per punt, and kicks one 30 yards after getting run into. Penalty didn't give FSU a first down, so Taggart declined, giving Cuse the ball near midfield. In post game, someone asked him why he didn't elect to re-kick, and he said, "we had them on their side of the field and decided to put it on our defense."  According to an article, FSU was having issues with blocking for punts, but that's also a coaching error, most likely, even if it's a more reasonable explanation than Taggart gave.

Looked up the interview:

https://youtu.be/Qc-jP8eqvHU?t=365

I really don't blame FSU fans for wanting to get rid of the guy. Can't really point to one positive since he's been there, looking at it from the outside. If Alabama hires a guy who isn't a favorite at Vandy, he might get fired before he gets to even lose to a Wake Forest type team.

Edited by jplvr
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jplvr said:

I thought I remembered you being happy Taggart was gone. He seems like a terrible coach to me, regardless.

This play was related to me by an FSU fan, and I have questioned his in game coaching abilities since. FSU punter was averaging 43 yards per punt, and kicks one 30 yards after getting run into. Penalty didn't give FSU a first down, so Taggart declined, giving Cuse the ball near midfield. In post game, someone asked him why he didn't elect to re-kick, and he said, "we had them on their side of the field and decided to put it on our defense."  According to an article, FSU was having issues with blocking for punts, but that's also a coaching error, most likely, even if it's a more reasonable explanation than Taggart gave.

Looked up the interview:

https://youtu.be/Qc-jP8eqvHU?t=365

I really don't blame FSU fans for wanting to get rid of the guy. Can't really point to one positive since he's been there, looking at it from the outside. If Alabama hires a guy who isn't a favorite at Vandy, he might get fired before he gets to even lose to a Wake Forest type team.

The best part is seeing Willie defenders saying hey Wake Forest is GOOD. Piss off. Think about how stupid that sounds for a program with this kind of history. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Current AP Poll 1.

Nick Saban $8.86 mil

2. Ed O $4 mil

3. Ryan Day $4.5 mil

4. Dabo $9.3 Mil

5. Lincoln Riley $6.38 mil

6. James Franklin $5.65 mil

7. Dan Mullen $6.1 mil

8. Brian Kelly ??

9. Malzahn $6.83 mil

10. Kirby Smart $6.87 mil

11. Cristobal $2.6 mil

12. Wittingham 4 mil

Where's Jimbo and his 7.5 mil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

The best part is seeing Willie defenders saying hey Wake Forest is GOOD. Piss off. Think about how stupid that sounds for a program with this kind of history. 

I know what you're talking about. I'm a Sooner fan who lived through the Gibbs, Schnellenberger, Blake years.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, psychobillies said:

Where's Jimbo and his 7.5 mil?

Petting that dog they all like so much.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Christo said:

I know what you're talking about. I'm a Sooner fan who lived through the Gibbs, Schnellenberger, Blake years.

Fond memories.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jplvr said:

I thought I remembered you being happy Taggart was gone. He seems like a terrible coach to me, regardless.

 

I didn't really have a strong opinion on Taggart either way since he was only at Oregon for less than a year.  I didn't see the coaching genius, that's for sure, but he also inherited a mess of a program.  I was worried that his exit would hinder the successful recruiting he achieved, but what I didn't see coming was the remarkable job Cristobal would do since taking over.  I was very bearish on that hire, but I'm happy to be wrong.  

A lot of the Oregon fan base was pissed when Taggart left and I think a lot anger was over the manner in which he bolted.  Which I understand, but the guy was chasing his dream job.  Hard to fault a person for doing that.  There's a lot of Oregon fans that are actively rooting for Taggart to fail, which is happening now to their delight.  Eh, again, the guy - and I think more importantly, his family - wanted to move back to Florida.  Eugene, Oregon isn't for everybody.

What I'll remember most about the Taggart 'era' at Oregon were the games he coached without Justin Herbert.  He turned to a true freshman that 'fit his system' in Braxton Burmeister and proceeded to oversee some of the worst offensive football I've ever seen.  It was a harbinger for what was to come for him at FSU.  Bad, boring, unimaginative offensive football with no adjustments made to improve.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member