What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Marlon Brando's signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature Role

• Ken - The Men

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stanley - A Streetcar named desire

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Johnny - The Wild One

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Terry - On the Waterfront

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Sky Masterson - Guys and Dolls

• Rio - One Eyed Jacks

• Fletcher Christian - Mutiny on the Bounty

• Don Vito - The Godfather

Votes: 95 68.3%
  • Paul - Last Tango in Paris

• Jor-El - Superman

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Col. Kurtz - Apocalypse now

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Carmen - The Freshman

• Dr. Moreau - The Island of Dr. Moreau

• Max - The Score

• Other

• Total voters
Viva Zapata! deserves some nomination recognition over Dr. Moreau.

That said, voted for Stanley.  He's just a powerhouse there.  One of the greatest acting performances ever.  But lots of ways to go here.

Which one did he consider his greatest?
He was as mercurial as Kyrie Irving in his public views and never answered those kind of questions, but, from what i've seen of his opinions, i'd guess he would probably rank Don Vito 3rd (behind his masterful Paul - my favorite - in Last Tango, and regulator Lee Clayton in Missouri Breaks) among his 'middle-aged' roles alone.

ETA: He basically got to direct Mutiny on the Bounty, so that could be his favorite, and i'm guessing Paul, Kowalski & Terry Malloy to be the others he'd consider

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is "signature" roles, you have to equate Brando with The Godfather.  I threw another vote on top of that pile.  But my favorite roles of those listed is actually Sky Masterson.  

One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to show you a brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken. Then this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of this brand-new deck of cards and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not accept this bet, because as sure as you stand there, you're going to wind up with an ear full of cider.

I get Godfather is the movie most have seen and his portrayal of Don Vito left an indelible impact on movies but I always think of him as the young virile animal Stanley Kowalski.

Terry and Stanley Kowalski are my two votes, in that order. OTW for the win as maybe the greatest of Hollywood movies about Hollywood, especially in tumult. 

On the Waterfront was about Hollywood?

I must have watched a different movie then you
It was Kazan's allegory to the blacklisting scandal and his testimony about communists in Hollywood. Terry testifies against a corrupt union in place and is the hero of the story. Kazan was one of the only directors or people involved with H'Wood to testify in front of HUAC and name names. The film is an allegory -- he posits that he is Terry and likens the union to the Communist Party. People still hate the film to this day because of it.

It was Kazan's allegory to the blacklisting scandal and his testimony about communists in Hollywood. Terry testifies against a corrupt union in place and is the hero of the story. Kazan was one of the only to testify in front of HUAC and name names. The film is an allegory -- he posits that he is Terry and likens the union to the Communist Party. People still hate the film to this day because of it.
Ok

Rock is 100% correct on that. Kazan is considered by many one of the great villains of Hollywood history and OTW is his attempt to defend himself.

So many high quality roles, but don’t see how it’s not Don Corleone - just way too iconic.

His best pound-for-pound role though may be Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. Only about 15 minutes of screen time but highly memorable and powerful.

Not sure if they've been done, and I'm not interested in starting any of these, but some names that might be fun:

Tom Hanks

Stallone

Schwarzenegger

Johnny Depp

This is almost as bad as “What is Mark Hamill’s signature role?”
Brando is on the American male actor Mount Rushmore along with De Nero, Nicholson and Pacino.

Hamill is an UDFA, and I don't mean that in the Kurt Warner way.

ETA: Corvette Summer 

:lol:

I did not expect it to be the Godfather ...good call.  

I mean, he's hardly in the movie.  I think the two main ones are just too old for most of the people here - A Streetcar/Waterfront/Mutiny are the classics ...

I think people are dismissing Street Car and On the Water Front too easily if they see this as a no brainer. His “I could have been a contender” speech and his “Stella” howls are iconic in the industry and what many will think of when the hear the name Brando.
agreed, I think most here are too young to have seen those movies.  iI gotta believe they have heard the phrases, but don't equate them to those specific movies or Brando ...my wife just guessed James Cagney on the "coulda been a contender" line. 

I mean I am pretty damn old - and those are "old" movies for me.  

agreed, I think most here are too young to have seen those movies.  iI gotta believe they have heard the phrases, but don't equate them to those specific movies or Brando ...my wife just guessed James Cagney on the "coulda been a contender" line. 

I mean I am pretty damn old - and those are "old" movies for me.  
They are before my time for sure, and I’m not young - but those Movies are iconic. I used to live in Hoboken so seeing On the Waterfront was especially an interest to me.

Brando is on the American male actor Mount Rushmore along with De Nero, Nicholson and Pacino.

Hamill is an UDFA, and I don't mean that in the Kurt Warner way.

ETA: Corvette Summer 

:lol:
Leaving Bogart, Fonda and James Stewart off? At least one of them has to be on the mount. 

Leaving Bogart, Fonda and James Stewart off? At least one of them has to be on the mount. 
If you want to be pedantic, sure. The larger point was how laughably bad the Hamill reference was, given you could find 100+ actors with a debatable body of work.

Users who are viewing this thread