What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bryce Love, RB (FA) (1 Viewer)

Washington RB Bryce Love has been working with the second- and third-team offense.

Love has had some hype in recent weeks following the release of Derrius Guice, but when Adrian Peterson has been practicing, Love has slid back into a backup role. Washington team reporter Kyle Stackpole notes that Peterson and third-round rookie Antonio Gibson have been working with the first-team offense while Peyton Barber and Love have split work with the second- and third-team offense. Heading into Week 1, we should expect Peterson to have the early-down role with Gibson seeing work as a hybrid player. Gibson will earn more snaps and touches as the season progresses if he lives up to the hype he's received in training camp.

RELATED: 

Antonio Gibson

, Adrian Peterson

, Peyton Barber

SOURCE: WashingtonFootball.com

Aug 25, 2020, 7:23 PM ET

Tables turning again
Is it though?

Indications so far are Peterson is the starting RB and Gibson the starting OW (offensive weapon).

Should Peterson go down (or when he was not practicing), Love was the starting RB and Gibson the starting OW.

If Peterson is not practicing AND Gibson is running with the 1s over Love, then yes, turning tables.

Is it though?

Indications so far are Peterson is the starting RB and Gibson the starting OW (offensive weapon).

Should Peterson go down (or when he was not practicing), Love was the starting RB and Gibson the starting OW.

If Peterson is not practicing AND Gibson is running with the 1s over Love, then yes, turning tables.
I guess that poses the question, what is more valuable: a starting offensive weapon or a backup RB?

I guess that poses the question, what is more valuable: a starting offensive weapon or a backup RB?
The obvious answer is “it depends on how many touches the OW gets and how effective he is with them”. But the reality is we Will have no idea How this will play out until the season is underway.  

The obvious answer is “it depends on how many touches the OW gets and how effective he is with them”. But the reality is we Will have no idea How this will play out until the season is underway.  
For sure but with drafts coming up, we have to make some decisions. 

For sure but with drafts coming up, we have to make some decisions. 
I don't know that I want to invest heavily enough in the Washington backfield to draft both of them to my redraft squad, so it may come down to targeting the one who drops the furthest (and I am guessing that will be Bryce Love).  Both Love and Gibson intrigue me, but if one of them is going to emerge this season as a weekly fantasy relevant asset, I would place my chips on Bryce Love (the obvious likelihood is that neither of them fits that criteria).  Gibson is still very raw.  In Dynasty, I am all in on Antonio Gibson, but I am skeptical that he will earn enough consistent touches this season to be anything more than a swing-for-the-fences PPR flex in any given week.  Then again, I do like to swing for the fences with my later picks . . . 

I don't know that I want to invest heavily enough in the Washington backfield to draft both of them to my redraft squad, so it may come down to targeting the one who drops the furthest (and I am guessing that will be Bryce Love).  Both Love and Gibson intrigue me, but if one of them is going to emerge this season as a weekly fantasy relevant asset, I would place my chips on Bryce Love (the obvious likelihood is that neither of them fits that criteria).  Gibson is still very raw.  In Dynasty, I am all in on Antonio Gibson, but I am skeptical that he will earn enough consistent touches this season to be anything more than a swing-for-the-fences PPR flex in any given week.  Then again, I do like to swing for the fences with my later picks . . . 
I agree there. The thing I do like about Gibson more is that we could get the Sigmund Bloom "early reveal" where after 2 weeks we kind of know what his role is if his explosive playmaking is going to be a thing. If you take Bryce, he might not get on the field as much and may serve as a pure handcuff. 

If he's used like Cordarelle Patterson, then I'd rather take the backup RB who at least has a chance to be fantasy relevant. Of course we don't know exactly what the extent of his usage will be.

Got the first pick in a FA draft on Sunday. Thinking this guy should be a #1 target in those, right? (Obviously pending other avail guys, I'm staring at Blake Jarwin other than this guy)

Got the first pick in a FA draft on Sunday. Thinking this guy should be a #1 target in those, right? (Obviously pending other avail guys, I'm staring at Blake Jarwin other than this guy)
#2 in a RBBC at best vs #1 TE on a high flying offense, I'd take Jarwin every time unless you already have complete studs at TE.

Depending on the depth of your rosters (and I'm ASSuming that this is a very short bench league) you probably have better options available than either of these guys.

I agree there. The thing I do like about Gibson more is that we could get the Sigmund Bloom "early reveal" where after 2 weeks we kind of know what his role is if his explosive playmaking is going to be a thing. If you take Bryce, he might not get on the field as much and may serve as a pure handcuff. 
The last guy known as "the weapon" was in Jacksonville and he's out of the league.

Nyheim Hines...what are the Colts really doing with him?

Ohio State's Curtis Samuel was a good running back in college and maybe more Gibson's skillset.

I don't like the above.

Last year, the Longhorns added the best RB and played him at slot WR for career longevity.  He was a backup expected to start 2020. Arizona Cardinals coach picked up this trend and employed it many times. It was discussed at several websites there with stats and injury history and alignments and...there IS a lapse in the quality of "the next DB" that would cover this player and it has been that way for a decade or more. Zona coach discussed how teams commonly defensed the Pats with Edelman/Welker versus how they did other teams (over my head....) and everything points to this being a sound decision that will always work until NFL defenses change up their depth, quality of their depth, or scheme.

Can this guy get 10 catches for 140 yards. No, success and significance would dictate the D must change and the outside WRs lack of success would lean toward that the change would work. Can this slot RB get 5 catches for 50, absolutely. Quite easily.

Titans, Pats, and 49ers used a RB in the slot for (not many) some plays in the playoffs and late in the season.

There IS a trend that could favor a guy described like Gibson getting more production and some excitement for the future, but it appears we're at the beginning stages of this development and that it would be limited.

At one site I visit, that former NFL scout pointed out that if an NFL D faced two CB injuries or two significant DB injuries, he didn't think they could defense it unless they had a special dime backer. Suppose he was onto something, then late in 2020, the (Snyder owned team) could face an opponent with injuries and light them up with not enough DBs to cover him.

A bit long already but let me throw this back at you-

Pick a team- who covers McLaurin, the other WR maybe the rookie hyped, and the RB in the slot? How's that third CB matchup? Size? Tackling?

Pick another team....same....ya see why this trend was picking up some steam.

The latter, assuming if Peterson goes down then Love gets his work, which is what I'd bet on happening. I don't know where Gibson's yr 1 workload will fall, but I think somewhere in the Tarik Cohen-Nyhein Hines-Duke Johnson-Chris Thompson sphere. It'd need to be a special offense for me to want to invest in a weapon like that and Washington sure ain't special.

Ohio State's Curtis Samuel was a good running back in college and maybe more Gibson's skillset.
If you're rolling the dice on a weapon without a position I think this is the best bet for 2020 - and he's several rounds cheaper than Gibson.

The Athletic's Ben Standig reports RB Bryce Love would not make the team if Washington decides to keep just three running backs headed into the season.

Standig said pass-catching back J.D. McKissick's "spot on the team and the game plan appears secure." He added the Football Team "may keep four backs on the gameday roster since [offensive coordinator Scott] Turner’s system uses plenty of two-back sets. If the decision is only three, it’s Peterson, Gibson and McKissic." Love failing to make the Washington roster would be a surprise after weeks of positive practice reports. Peterson, per Standig, is locked in as the team's early down back. The 35-year-old is available in the 10th round of seasonal leagues. 

RELATED: 

J.D. McKissic

, Adrian Peterson

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 28, 2020, 8:47 AM ET

Weird. Why would you hold him thru injury and rehab just to cut him when he is healthy and showing out? And after losing Guice. Very Washington move. I am skeptical though. 

Weird. Why would you hold him thru injury and rehab just to cut him when he is healthy and showing out? And after losing Guice. Very Washington move. I am skeptical though. 
This isn’t about cutting him - it’s about how many RBs will be on the active roster each week.   

Rivera explaining Gibson as confused and how they lessened the tasks he has sounds an awful lot like Dante Hall and the Chiefs trying to get the video game star to be more than just a return stud. 

The Athletic's Ben Standig reports RB Bryce Love would not make the team if Washington decides to keep just three running backs headed into the season.

Standig said pass-catching back J.D. McKissick's "spot on the team and the game plan appears secure." He added the Football Team "may keep four backs on the gameday roster since [offensive coordinator Scott] Turner’s system uses plenty of two-back sets. If the decision is only three, it’s Peterson, Gibson and McKissic." Love failing to make the Washington roster would be a surprise after weeks of positive practice reports. Peterson, per Standig, is locked in as the team's early down back. The 35-year-old is available in the 10th round of seasonal leagues. 
Nothing, absolutely nothing, has indicated Love's release. This is probably absurd to get an article read. I don't know him and maybe that's out of line (if so, sorry) but I don't like this style writing.

Today (yesterday's quotes) is negative re Gibson, not Love, and all the talk is what position is he? Is he a WR? a RB? He is not part of the numbers in this fashion. He's more like "we can only keep 3 special teamers because we need a spot for Gibson." No one has been talking like they only keep 5 WRs or 3 RBs and pegged him to a spot; in the beginning they were with the WRs but even then the articles all yielded to an overall total personnel thinking

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

To follow up on Bryce Love:

"Love’s return is hopeful but methodical. He’s working primarily with the second and third teams. With Peterson secured as the early-down back, it’s Gibson and McKissic deployed by Turner as the electric chess pieces."

https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1299349122407903232?s=21
That's what he was hoped to be. He met it. Midseason or by camp year two, to be the starter, not now. 

Do I hope he can? Do most people? Sure, as ADP has gone from our FF darling to an older guy. 

This is more a vocabulary lesson on the word primarily. We do all enjoy a second teamer getting first team reps.

I have to agree with Bri's assessment on this one. Love has had plenty of good press and it makes zero sense to cut him now. To imply the number of players designated RB leaves only one roster spot for Gibson or Love screams click-bait. 

So is your feeling that they'll keep 4 or that they cut Mckissic?
I think I'm pretty obvious about my thoughts here. This is a non-issue.

If you want the debate and just for fun and all, then I'd pick McKissic to be cut since 400 yards in four years is not good enough. He could have needed the right offense and he could have improved himself and there's plenty positive to read about him. One thing I'd point out is many practice drills are best suited for third down back scat back types. Pick a team and a camp at random and you can probably find a reporter saying a scat back is doing well. Without preseason, idk how we FFers evaluate them but then again, there's usually some late season bye that I desperately need a pickup to cover and that's all, so it's tiny overall.

just dropped John Ross to pick him up in one of my PPR dynasty leagues. Figure he's worth a hold but wouldn't overpay by any means. 

Peterson's release means one less body in the dreaded RBBC. Still zero clarity who will start but Gibson still seems like the best back to own since nobody expects positive game scripts for WFT. Love is definitely worth adding/holding b/c the team clearly sees enough upside to keep him over AP, despite the practice reps. 

What I read, Gibson has played more RB lately than being a hybrid leaning toward WR.

If you just follow his timeline, I'd take it as he's the guy.

We can surely debate the usage and Love getting snaps when Gibson is lined up elsewhere, but I don't think you can overstate what looks like he clearly bounced ADP off the team. Love was depth, then 3rd, then backup to first and second downs- he progressed no doubt, but it reads to me like Gibson knocked ADP off the mountain.

There is something to the notion that Gibson hasn't practice RB as much and won't know the (finite intricacies) plays as well but we are talking about two blessed athletes that the game comes easy to. 

I was excited and loving my pick of Love late, but I gotta say this morning I'm wondering what the time share will be like.

The Redskins, the football team, needs to run the ball. I do think they could be down in a lot of games and a receiving back could get a lot of use on a particular week but there has never been a team that just used a third down back scat back (not to insinuate Gibson is only that)from the first snap and didn't try to run so ...people are taking this "down in games, pass a lot" a bit too far right now.

If I assume the best for these RBs, it is not Cleveland or Arizona or whatever multiple back system. I think FF people get too creative with this type stuff. The best scenario for any back is a traditional offense. Imagine any HOF RB and it's not some wild trickery but "try and stop me behind this line."

That said, I do appreciate the Marshall Faulk comparisons for Gibson. Faulk was phenomenally talented but if you watch his whole career, he was a traditional RB that oh by the way did these other things well. 

I think Love can do well in the first few weeks and earn a good portion of the offense, even become the starter/lion's share guy but if he doesn't do it and if Gibson shines, I think Love is going to be a backup RB "hoping"(not really, just FF notion) for an injury to get a chance to shine. 

Love was kept over AP.  Touches are there to be earned.  This is an excellent situation - definitely better than before we knew AP was released, regardless of the premature Gibson hype train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gibson looks like he's the guy, and Rivera seems to have some big plans for him. De facto starter and his job to lose at this point.

McKissick brings the same kind of passing down skill as Gibson does. And with Bryce being a bit of a scatback in nature, seems like it could be a committee behind Gibson, at the very best. Beat writer for the Athletic thinks McKissick's job is secure and that Love is on the bubble, which doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

Barber is there too, and while I think he looked more shot than not on TB last year, he's a savvy vet and still has gas in the tank and tread on the wheels, so can see him rotating in for in-between-tackle work as he's the biggest between him, McKissic, and Love.

I am in a deep league and can see potential long term value in Love beating out McKissic as a passing down back. At this point I may drop a backup QB to see how this pans out, but I am also tempted to hold off as there is really little to make me excited here given that there isn't a lot that separates Love from the pack right now.

Of the local media I trust, the general consensus seems to be that in the early part of the Season, they will dress 3: Barber, McKissic, Gibson. Love could be inactive, because he's still not 100% ready for live game-speed carries. They are going to take it easy with him at the outset. Hypothetical carries in a game would be Barber/Gibson/McKissic 40/40/20 - a true committee approach.

If you own Love you need to be patient and play the long game...assuming Team Washington doesn't add another RB it appears he will get an opportunity at some point and you just have to hope the pre-injury Love is close to what will be on the field when that opportunity arises...Barber and McKissic are nothing more then JAGs and while Gibson looks to be talented and very intriguing it would be a big leap to go from being a multi-purpose college player (only 33 carries in his college career) to being a bell-cow NFL back...that is not a knock on him just that I think there will be room for another quality RB even if Gibson pans out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Washington Post projects Bryce Love to make the 53-man roster.

Love’s camp showing was one of the reasons Washington released Adrian Peterson. ESPN's John Keim reported the team feels they can get Love can “back to where he was in college" in a couple months, suggesting he's not fully healthy. Love may start out behind Antonio Gibson and Peyton Barber, but he should find his way into snaps.

SOURCE: Washington Post

Sep 4, 2020, 6:19 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread