What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bryce Love, RB (FA) (2 Viewers)

If you are looking to trade for him that is not bad news.
This is true.  It could also mean he's still not healthy enough to be the player we saw at Stanford.  If we don't see his earn touches at some point this season, he may just enter that Marcus Lattimore prospect category.

This is true.  It could also mean he's still not healthy enough to be the player we saw at Stanford.  If we don't see his earn touches at some point this season, he may just enter that Marcus Lattimore prospect category.
Definitely...he's a real tricky one...if you want to deal for him you have factor that into the equation.

Washington placed RB Bryce Love (knee) on injured reserve.

Love was inactive the first three weeks and is now dealing with swelling in his knee. He'll be eligible to return from IR in Week 7. Coach Ron Rivera said he thinks Love can return this season.

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 2, 2020, 1:04 PM ET

Being placed in IR...is not good.  If Love doesn't hit the field in some capacity by week 10 he'll be a cut on the rosters I'm still holding him on.

It had been unclear to me if Bryce Love had been a healthy scratch the first 3 weeks, so there is a small part of me which is relieved it has been injury related, although this is certainly not good news for Love.  Antonio Gibson is not running away with this job, so there is still reason for some optimism that Bryce Love might return from IR and become a significant factor down the stretch.  If it does not happen upon a return this season, it no longer makes sense to hang on to Love except perhaps in very deep dynasty leagues.  For now, I will ride this out to see what develops, if anything.  

Unfortunately, another example of why we need to take glowing training camp reports with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, another example of why we need to take glowing training camp reports with a grain of salt.
It's one thing to see glowing reviews from coaches and a player being really cruddy in action.

It's another when a guy may have actually been looking good in camp before suffering injury.

It's one thing to see glowing reviews from coaches and a player being really cruddy in action.

It's another when a guy may have actually been looking good in camp before suffering injury.
Maybe I got the sequence of events wrong. I thought despite his strong camp, he was inactive the first few games and the injury is a recent thing.

Maybe I got the sequence of events wrong. I thought despite his strong camp, he was inactive the first few games and the injury is a recent thing.
Looking that up, you are right, he was inactive for WKs 1 and 2. I thought the comment was in relation to the knee swell given timing. But it is a valid point if he was talked up in camp only to be sat down during game day.

Returned to practice yesterday. Anyone still holding out hope in dynasty?
Still have him on IR in a couple of leagues where there was no roster cost.  If he gets activated, I'll have to decide between him and someone currently on each roster.  No idea at this point.

Apparently Gibson has a shoulder injury he's dealing with, so... maybe Love will get a shot?

Still have him on IR in a couple of leagues where there was no roster cost.  If he gets activated, I'll have to decide between him and someone currently on each roster.  No idea at this point.
Same and same decision. It gets to a point with someone like him where I wonder if I’m just being stubborn by keeping hold of him. 

Count me in as a Bryce Love fan, but I'm just not seeing where he will fit in this WFT system.  So much love for McKissic and Gibson seems to be a capable back that's only getting better.  Anyone have a more optimistic view for 2020?  

Count me in as a Bryce Love fan, but I'm just not seeing where he will fit in this WFT system.  So much love for McKissic and Gibson seems to be a capable back that's only getting better.  Anyone have a more optimistic view for 2020?  
Well, Gibson is apparently nursing a shoulder injury right now so that could open the door for Love. 

More importantly for keeper/dynasty - any likelihood he's on a new team in 2021?

Without bothering to lookup the details, isn't he on a 4-year rookie deal?
Yeah probably.  I was thinking more whether they might release him - I thought there was speculation about that during training camp. Or maybe a trade.  I'm sure he's not due to hit free agency just yet.

There's just no incentive for the team to do that unless he's a cancer (cough, Haskins, cough).
I found a blurb upthread (late August) that mentioned him possibly not making the 53-man if they only kept 3 RBs.  But I think that was while ADP was still there, too.

Washington Football Team RB Bryce Love (knee, injured reserve) will not be activated this season. 

It has been exactly two years since the No. 112 overall pick of the 2019 draft played a football game. He suffered a devastating ACL tear at Stanford. Love made the Football Team's initial 53-man roster but was a "healthy" scratch before landing on injured reserve following a setback. Going on 24, Love is facing increasingly long odds of making NFL noise following his voluminous college usage and subsequent injury. 

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter 

Dec 1, 2020, 5:12 PM ET

I have held onto Love for two seasons now in Dynasty, but, sadly, it is time to accept the reality that Love is unlikely to ever fulfill his immense promise in the NFL.  Two years removed from his injury, Love is still unable to take the football field.  I am releasing him from my dynasty squad this week.  Although not nearly as gruesome an injury, this reminds me a bit of the situation with Marcus Lattimore.  Such a shame.

I have him in a contract league. I'll probably leave him on my IR and see what happens in OTAs next spring.  I don't have to cut my roster down until August 1.

Just in case.

NBC Sports Edge:

Washington waived RB Bryce Love.

Love, the 2017 Heisman runner-up and Doak Walker award winner as the nation’s top running back, tore his ACL in Stanford’s regular season finale in 2019 and has struggled to return to form ever since. Washington took a flyer on him in the fourth round that year but have yet to see him take the field following multiple setbacks. 24 in July, Love is facing long odds to make an active roster out of camp.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 19, 2021, 2:30 PM ET

RB = (N)ot (F)or (L)ong, so why do they stay in college longer than they should?  Especially coming off a big year.  Is it the college life and girls they really covet?  Or, it won’t happen to me mentality?

RB = (N)ot (F)or (L)ong, so why do they stay in college longer than they should?  Especially coming off a big year.  Is it the college life and girls they really covet?  Or, it won’t happen to me mentality?
It hasn't been as set in stone as some think, and others think they will play their way to a bigger contract and more security by becoming a better draft pick. Big difference between the first, second, and third rounds in that respect.

It hasn't been as set in stone as some think, and others think they will play their way to a bigger contract and more security by becoming a better draft pick. Big difference between the first, second, and third rounds in that respect.
If you recall he had a huge year, won the Doak Walker award and finished 2nd in the Heisman.  Not sure how he could have played his way to a better draft pick and more money.  Love made a bad decision obviously.  I get what you’re saying in general however.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you recall he had a huge year, won the Doak Walker award and finished 2nd in the Heisman.  Not sure how he could have played his way to a better draft pick and more money.  Love made a bad decision obviously.  I get what you’re saying in general however.
Yeah, I do. He was indeed eligible to come out, too. I don't know why he stayed. Maybe he thought since he'd only had one year, he could cement his status. Don't they have people evaluating where you'll go in the draft? Regardless, Stanford and Palo Alto will do that to you, I guess. 

Why do they?  Who are "they" aside from Love?

While I agree he should have left school early,  I don't see a plethora of RBs doing this. 

And now Bryce Love is yet another cautionary tale of an RB who should have come out of college after coming off a big year. This year, that fool is Chuba Hubbard

Ya know, on one end you guys say he should have come out as a Junior, but then you guys say that RB's don't last very long in NFL. Did you guys know that Love graduated with a degree in Human Biology from Stanford? That he wants to become a doctor one day? I don't know if you guys realize this, but Stanford is a pretty prestigious school. Maybe he went back to school to get his degree just in case his NFL career doesn't work out and he can make a seamless transition into his career of becoming doctor. Seems like he knows this, which is why him and other NFL players choose to return to school. And for the record, I'm 100% in disagreement when players leave college early to go to the NFL. I don't think the NFL should have ever allowed it.

And now Bryce Love is yet another cautionary tale of an RB who should have come out of college after coming off a big year. This year, that fool is Chuba Hubbard
Yes, Hubbard cost himself a lot of money.  Another one that should have come out is Zamir White.  After tearing his ACL twice you would think he learned his lesson.  He had a good / not great year, so I suppose he thinks he can help his draft stock next year. It's a big risk IMO.  Some players probably need to take that risk, some do not.  Love didn't have to and neither did Hubbard. Love killed his value with the injury and Hubbard killed his with his play.

While I agree he should have left school early,  I don't see a plethora of RBs doing this. 
I don't feel like looking it up but it seems to me most very good RBs come out early.  The NFL mandates that you must be out of high school for at least three years before you are eligible to play.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't see many of the very best RBs playing 4 years of college.

I don't feel like looking it up but it seems to me most very good RBs come out early.  The NFL mandates that you must be out of high school for at least three years before you are eligible to play.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't see the many of the very best playing 4 years of college.
No you're not wrong, I'm talking all positions, not just RB's.  But if the RB's or any position for that matter are that good (Cook, Henry, Kamara, etc.), then 1 more year in college won't make a difference. A career ending injury can happen at anytime. You know what I mean? It's always good to have a backup plan(degree) just in case. Should Chubba and Etienne have gone back to college? Maybe Chubba is just a one year wonder. Or maybe he'll become a steal for whoever takes him. Who knows? Maybe Etienne would've been a top 20 pick last year, maybe he won't get drafted until the mid 2nd. Good for the team who grabs him in the 2nd. Who knows?!

No you're not wrong, I'm talking all positions, not just RB's.  But if the RB's or any position for that matter are that good (Cook, Henry, Kamara, etc.), then 1 more year in college won't make a difference. A career ending injury can happen at anytime. You know what I mean? It's always good to have a backup plan(degree) just in case. Should Chubba and Etienne have gone back to college? Maybe Chubba is just a one year wonder. Or maybe he'll become a steal for whoever takes him. Who knows? Maybe Etienne would've been a top 20 pick last year, maybe he won't get drafted until the mid 2nd. Good for the team who grabs him in the 2nd. Who knows?!
It's not just injury either, even though RBs probably have the highest risk for injury, it's that NFL RBs don't have longevity to begin with.  To spend an extra year in college only magnifies that further.  RBs coming into the NFL not only needs to think about that first contract (peanuts), they need to consider the 2nd contract.  It's a lot easier to get a decent 2nd contract if you're not 27 years old and it seems that number is shrinking.

Leaving early if they’re likely to be drafted at least in the 4th round is a smart financial decision particularly for running backs

Leaving early if they’re likely to be drafted at least in the 4th round is a smart financial decision particularly for running backs
I'm not so sure about 4th round, maybe 3rd, but the good RBs staying another year really hurts their ability to get a great 2nd contract, which is more important than a rookie contract.  Ideally RBs should enter the NFL no older than 22. I think NFL teams will wise up to dishing out large 2nd contracts and being younger helps the player immensely when that time comes and by younger, I mean that number seems to be shrinking.  26 is fast becoming the new 27.  If I were an NFL RB I would want my 2nd no later than 25.

It's not just injury either, even though RBs probably have the highest risk for injury, it's that NFL RBs don't have longevity to begin with.  To spend an extra year in college only magnifies that further.  RBs coming into the NFL not only needs to think about that first contract (peanuts), they need to consider the 2nd contract.  It's a lot easier to get a decent 2nd contract if you're not 27 years old and it seems that number is shrinking.
Even more of a reason to get their college education BEFORE entering the NFL. It's so much easier to finish a degree when all the information is still fresh in your head, than waiting 3+ years then going back to college. If you're that good, then one more year of college won't hurt you. Plus, most of them won't make it to there 2nd contract.

Look at all the players that have been in the league for over 10+ years not just RB's, if you're good enough to play in the league for 10+ years, then 1 more year of college won't hurt.

Plus it's the same thing with every position in the NFL, not just RB's.  There's over 250 players that enter the NFL every year not including undrafted players. Not everyone is gonna make it.

Even more of a reason to get their college education BEFORE entering the NFL. It's so much easier to finish a degree when all the information is still fresh in your head, than waiting 3+ years then going back to college. If you're that good, then one more year of college won't hurt you. Plus, most of them won't make it to there 2nd contract.

Look at all the players that have been in the league for over 10+ years not just RB's, if you're good enough to play in the league for 10+ years, then 1 more year of college won't hurt.

Plus it's the same thing with every position in the NFL, not just RB's.  There's over 250 players that enter the NFL every year not including undrafted players. Not everyone is gonna make it.
I disagree with this on a couple of fronts.  First, an NFL player can go back to college if they want to.  Fresh in their heads?   Really?  Sorry, but that is pretty much irrelevant.  Ability to learn doesn't change because college facts aren't in your head currently.  Second, I believe it's a fact that RBs have a higher propensity for injury than all other positions.  Even if I'm wrong about that, please read my post regarding 2nd contracts.

I disagree with this on a couple of fronts.  First, an NFL player can go back to college if they want to.  Fresh in their heads?   Really?  Sorry, but that is pretty much irrelevant.  Ability to learn doesn't change because college facts aren't in your head currently.  Second, I believe it's a fact that RBs have a higher propensity for injury than all other positions.  Even if I'm wrong about that, please read my post regarding 2nd contracts.
Mind you, you're the only one that replied to me in this thread, so this really isn't directed towards you.

No you're not wrong about that at all. It's just that when people (not just you, I hear it all the time) say that RB's don't last long in the NFL, or my all time favorite "he was hardly used in college, so he has plenty of tread on his tires."  << These things are complete garbage in regards to how good a player is and whether or not he leaves school a year early or not, which is what I hear when people say these things. As far as injuries go, you're right about that. But when people say the average length of a rb's career is 4 years, I can't help but get irritated at how stupid that is. Yeah, sure, 4 years. When around 20-25 RB's get drafted every year, but less than 10 of them get 2nd contracts, it's not because they hit there prime and went downhill, It's because they suck. Plain and simple. Like I said, even more of a reason for them to finish college before entering the draft.

For the "he was hardly used in college, so he has plenty of tread on his tires." people, maybe he was hardy used in college because they ran a different scheme, or maybe he just sucks. My money's on he sucks.  It's always good for a player to show consistency before entering the draft, another good reason to stay in college for another year.

But yeah, you guys are right, Bryce was stupid for finishing his degree before going to the NFL, he probably would have been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of the 4th. What an idiot. And Chubba and Etienne are also stupid for going back to school. Chubba might just be a 1 year wonder, at least now I know I won't touch him in my fantasy draft until the 3rd/4th round. Etienne? I think it depends on where he lands tbh.

Like I said, even more of a reason for them to finish college before entering the draft.
It's not like these guys are getting degrees in nuclear physics or rocket surgery.  They gain practically nothing by completing their degree before entering the NFL in this regard.

It's not like these guys are getting degrees in nuclear physics or rocket surgery.  They gain practically nothing by completing their degree before entering the NFL in this regard.
In general I agree. Lots of useless degrees out there.  But to Love's credit, it is Stanford.  Any degree from Stanford stands out.

Travis Etienne could have declared for the draft last season but chose not to.

Its one of the knocks against him.

Former Washington Football Team RB Bryce Love went unclaimed on waivers. 

Love tore his ACL in his final game at Stanford in 2019. Washington then selected him in the fourth round of the draft, knowing his rookie season would be lost to the recovery timetable. He made Washington's final roster in 2020 but was made a healthy scratch for three weeks before landing on IR with a setback in his knee. He did not come off IR and was waived this spring. Love managed to earn solid draft capital despite the redshirt season he faced and has a 2,000-yard season to his name in college. However, going unclaimed on waivers, which would have only cost a team $780K in non-guaranteed money is a bad look for the 23-year-old. He'll look to earn a name for himself as a depth signing in the summer with a good training camp showing possibly netting him one of 53 roster spots.

SOURCE: Dov Kleiman on Twitter

Apr 20, 2021, 6:12 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread