What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (2 Viewers)

It's been coming rapidly, because of what you've said. Top clubs/staff/infrastructure already in place...expanded, not niche, generation of girls growing up playing and a lot more money being invested. In spite of the pro league here, the US still essentially relies on Title 9 and the college game to build players. 

It's interesting to see more and more top US women going to Europe to play for the big clubs. Mewis and Lavelle both just signed for Manchester City who is playing in the Community Shield right now as I type.
Press and Heath reportedly moving to United too.  Could be quite the derby.

I'll add to the infrastructure that the UK at least covers the women's game pretty well in the media. Far better coverage than in the US.
With the structure of the leagues, the international play accross Europe, just like the men's leagues, Europe will be the place to go.  The women's league here was the first pro sports league to come back and play (bubble in Utah I believe) but you wouldn't know it from the reporting.  

Press and Heath reportedly moving to United too.  Could be quite the derby.

With the structure of the leagues, the international play accross Europe, just like the men's leagues, Europe will be the place to go.  The women's league here was the first pro sports league to come back and play (bubble in Utah I believe) but you wouldn't know it from the reporting.  
the USWNT had oly qualifiers pre covid... first meaningful games after winning the WC. nobody knew a thing- they played in front of empty stands and got zip coverage.

Its official.
I think this is great.  The sooner the US women realize they need to make their money over seas and not through some ridiculous clause in their national team contract, the better for everyone one.

The NWSL will suffer but that is the nature of the beast.  They will have to adapt/grow or die.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is great.  The sooner the US women realize they need to make their money over seas and not through some ridiculous clause in their national team contract, the better for everyone one.

The NWSL will suffer but that is the nature of the beast.  They will have to adapt/grow or die.
Wasn't the clause in there as part of a way to help the league without support from MLS?  I think the women's leagues in Europe are all backed by the Men's teams.  The money, infrustructure, brands are all there for the leagues to grow.  Women's sports in the US are at a dissadvantage anyway, but now the starts will be heading overseas.  And they will need to or risk being overtaken at the National Team level as well.  USWNT won't be on top for much longer.

Wasn't the clause in there as part of a way to help the league without support from MLS?  I think the women's leagues in Europe are all backed by the Men's teams.  The money, infrustructure, brands are all there for the leagues to grow.  Women's sports in the US are at a dissadvantage anyway, but now the starts will be heading overseas.  And they will need to or risk being overtaken at the National Team level as well.  USWNT won't be on top for much longer.
The clause had no direct relation to MLS.  MLS has no involvement with NWSL outside of some overlap in ownership

The clause came about because the women did not have the chance to go overseas yet (Euro teams were just starting), and US Soccer was afraid too many would have to retire because there was no money to be made.

The clause had no direct relation to MLS.  MLS has no involvement with NWSL outside of some overlap in ownership

The clause came about because the women did not have the chance to go overseas yet (Euro teams were just starting), and US Soccer was afraid too many would have to retire because there was no money to be made.
Thanks. I knew MLS wasn't involved but I thought the NWSL didn't want MLS backing/involvement as a make it on their own type of deal.  

Regardless, will be interesting to see what the US Women's team and NWSL do next.  As the Euro leagues grow and become profitable, more clubs will start teams.  NWSL is at a crossroads, again.

Any thoughts on what the migration of US talent overseas will do to the USWNT? 

will college/HS aged players start signing and forego college? will this make the US stronger, or the foreign leagues and players stronger? can be both I suppose...

Any thoughts on what the migration of US talent overseas will do to the USWNT? 

will college/HS aged players start signing and forego college? will this make the US stronger, or the foreign leagues and players stronger? can be both I suppose...
I think both will occur but it will likely close the gap even more between the US and Euro teams (especially if England starts bringing many foreigners).   Women's soccer could use a few more countries that are competent to help the sport overall.

‘Watershed’ £24m TV deal for Women’s Super League

I'd say this will hasten the move for top players to end up in England.  It will be interesting to see if this carries over into other Women's Leagues around the world.

I don't really know the state of the NWSL - whether they can muster this kind of financial commitment from TV.  I can't find any financial numbers from their last deal in 2020 - but I suspect it was not much.

No - I woke up to see the headline.   

I think Sweden are good - but, wow!
Swedes thoroughly dominated ... at one point it was 70/30 possession, 11-4 in shots attempted, 6-2 in shots on net, 9-2 corner kicks ... all in the Swedes favor - this was shortly after Stina Blackstenius popped her 2nd goal ... she was taken out at the 64' mark, and her replacement (Hurtig) knocked in the 3rd. 

it was a complete and utter dog-walking ... the loss to the same team that knocked them out in the '16 WWC (on pks) in and of itself is not shocking, but the manner of which it happened is. 

No - I woke up to see the headline.   

I think Sweden are good - but, wow!
Same here.  Surprise!!!

Few things working against the USWNT:
1) No reigning WC Champ has gone on to win Olympic Gold
2) The rest of the world is catching up to the US in the women's game.
3) Sweden seems to be that one team for the US
4) Ertz has been injured, came on at the half but hasn't played in awhile. She is the US team's most important player.

With all that, I expect it to be fine and just a one game oops.  They should still win it.

B Maverick said:
Same here.  Surprise!!!

Few things working against the USWNT:
1) No reigning WC Champ has gone on to win Olympic Gold
2) The rest of the world is catching up to the US in the women's game.
3) Sweden seems to be that one team for the US
4) Ertz has been injured, came on at the half but hasn't played in awhile. She is the US team's most important player.

With all that, I expect it to be fine and just a one game oops.  They should still win it.
We also have the oldest team out there. They need to integrate younger new blood in soon. The rest of the world is catching up too. 

They will be fine. As said earlier, Sweden has their number.

Ertz will ease back in and that will help. The US team is deep and with quick turnarounds, this will also help them moving forward.

Swedes thoroughly dominated ... at one point it was 70/30 possession, 11-4 in shots attempted, 6-2 in shots on net, 9-2 corner kicks ... all in the Swedes favor - this was shortly after Stina Blackstenius popped her 2nd goal ... she was taken out at the 64' mark, and her replacement (Hurtig) knocked in the 3rd. 

it was a complete and utter dog-walking ... the loss to the same team that knocked them out in the '16 WWC (on pks) in and of itself is not shocking, but the manner of which it happened is. 
Lol....I woke up at 2am to take a dump, started messing around on my phone and saw your post on another thread that this game was at the half, Swedes up 1-0.  I immediately put a live wager on our girls, went downstairs and watched the 2nd half.  Wooooof.  Sweden absolutely crushed our gals.  There was one terrific opportunity for the US to score and I think it was Press who just whiffed on the  shot.  

But you are right, this team looked totally discombobulated and out of sorts.  The coach looked like Mr. Magoo, clueless on the sidelines.  This was a bad loss, but it's not like Seden is a bad team; in fact, I'd suggest they are the team to beat right now if the US can't get its act together.  Sweden was better on offense, defense, goalkeeping, everything.  The US defense was uncharacteristically bad.  

Lol....I woke up at 2am to take a dump, started messing around on my phone and saw your post on another thread that this game was at the half, Swedes up 1-0.  I immediately put a live wager on our girls, went downstairs and watched the 2nd half.  Wooooof.  Sweden absolutely crushed our gals.  There was one terrific opportunity for the US to score and I think it was Press who just whiffed on the  shot.  
i had o2.5 for the match, but certainly wasn't expecting the 3 scores to all be for Sweden  :lol:

my book had our gals at +235 at the half, and i was kinda tempted ... but i figured if they did come back to win it would clinch my o2.5 wager, so i let it marinate. 

Sweden got right back on the gas, and ended any hope toot sweet - they were methodical when the match was still in the balance - can't recall seeing this group of USA ladies taken to the shed like this.

The coach looked like Mr. Magoo, clueless on the sidelines.
:lmao:

... anyways, initial offerings are -3100w, -3.75g for the Kiwis 🥝 on Saturday - i'd hazard to say it's a "get well" spot, ya know?

Ya ya ya, I think there's too much pride at stake for the lasses to do anything other than pulverize the poor Kiwis.  I'll be laying a goal or two if offered.

I do think the team is getting a little long in the tooth and complacency has set in. 

Ya ya ya, I think there's too much pride at stake for the lasses to do anything other than pulverize the poor Kiwis.  I'll be laying a goal or two if offered.
lowest i'm getting is laying 3 (AH), at -120 ... but can't help but think this has all the makings of a 6-nil affair  :shrug:

I do think the team is getting a little long in the tooth and complacency has set in. 
roger that, 100% ... if the Sweden blowout didn't shake 'em up, they'll have a very tough go of it. 

I saw the USWNT tied this morning 0-0 with the Sheila's.

They finished second in the group (only not 3rd because of GD).

I wonder if this is the first time the women have not won their group in any tournament...?

@El Floppo on the thread title  :lol:  

ya know, i have yet to lose a wager placed on a match with these ladies  :pickle:  the Sweden game was first time i didn't back them outright, but it still cashed. 

I saw the USWNT tied this morning 0-0 with the Sheila's
basically nada for them to play for vs Sheila, as they pretty much had 2nd sewn up, while Sweden clinched top by dusting the Kiwis - was why i stayed away from plunking coin - Morgan did get one in the first half, but nullified by offsides.

i believe they are now thru to match up vs the Netherlands - them Dutch ladies have been scoring like an X dealer at a Pace University rave ...

Sweden gets Brazil, iirc - Dutch blew the doors off China today, while Brazil was uninspired vs Zambia ... btw, YUUUUUUUGE tip of the cap to them Z ladies - they've been a turnstile thus far, and faced a very heavily favored Brazil team with a pre-match o/u of 6.75 - Brazil laying 4.75. 

Zambia drew a red card 14 minutes in, and the Brazil ladies cashed roughly 5 minutes after ... but that was it.  the Z's went roughly 80' down one player, and only let in one ... hell, 74 minutes of shutout after that lone Brazil tally at the 19' mark. 

perhaps Brazil eased the gas a tad, seeing as how the Dutch were raining goals vs the Chinese, all but ensuring winning that group ... but, still, the Zambia ladies put in one hell of an effort in holding them down while operating short-handed.

By the way, what in gods name happened to China? 

Did they stop funding the sport for girls over there?  My memory of them was that they were a very solid team and were one of the countries that got started early with the sport like in the US. 

How did they let in 17 goals in 3 games at the Olympics?

By the way, what in gods name happened to China? 

Did they stop funding the sport for girls over there?  My memory of them was that they were a very solid team and were one of the countries that got started early with the sport like in the US. 

How did they let in 17 goals in 3 games at the Olympics?
Xi Jinping vs Girls Sports

I saw the USWNT tied this morning 0-0 with the Sheila's.

They finished second in the group (only not 3rd because of GD).

I wonder if this is the first time the women have not won their group in any tournament...?
Watched some of the first half and they mentioned that they were 2nd in the group at the '96 games.

Setting up for a dramatic finish.  Lloyd had a great opp to put US ahead 2 goals and moments later, Dutch equalized.  Here come the subs.  Fire power, let's go!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread