What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (1 Viewer)

Therein lies my issue.  Yes goals are what wins games and scoring is important.  But 3 PKs, 1 accident, 1 sitter, and 1 goal in a blowout where everyone scored doesn't mean she had a good tourney. Too often players whose job it is to score gets rated higher for doing their job.  People overlook all the giveaways, the lack of defense, the bad passes because she scored her pk?  She had 1 decent game.  So many more deserving players not only on the US team but in the tourney. 

rant over.  I know a lot of you agree, just venting.  Up next in a series is how the US won despite Jill Ellis' incompetence and it wasn't a "shut up the haters" performance by her.
I don’t think there’s much disagreement with your main point, which is that several players were better, but leadership counts for something in a knockout tournament like this. When the US were given that penalty in the second half of a scoreless game yesterday, who do you want taking that penalty if not Rapinoe? It’s such a huge moment, and there’s value in having a player out there who is up to the task. 

I was wondering the same thing in real time. High kick used to be indirect, which wouldn't be a PK. Nowadays, no idea.

Fwiw, it was studs up to shoulder high kick, not something slight and on the fence. 
Ditto.  Outside of the obvious indirect  (pass back to keeper), it seems almost up to the refs level. By that i mean pro level refs are quick to call dangerous/obstruction type calls as a PK. Low level (less confident) refs often lean toward indirect,  on anything outside of a handball.  No proof here. Just one dope's (and former low-confidence ref's ) observation. 

To me, Rapinoe is the leader and Captain of the greatest women's soccer team ever assembled. That speaks volumes. She has the respect and support of the entire team. Sometimes it's not about the fastest player.

Steve Yzerman wasn't always the best player for the Wings. But he was the leader without question.  

I don’t think there’s much disagreement with your main point, which is that several players were better, but leadership counts for something in a knockout tournament like this. When the US were given that penalty in the second half of a scoreless game yesterday, who do you want taking that penalty if not Rapinoe? It’s such a huge moment, and there’s value in having a player out there who is up to the task. 

Agreed. She was very cool under pressure in difficult situations and nailed all 3 penalties.  That counts for something.

To me, Rapinoe is the leader and Captain of the greatest women's soccer team ever assembled. That speaks volumes. She has the respect and support of the entire team. Sometimes it's not about the fastest player.

Steve Yzerman wasn't always the best player for the Wings. But he was the leader without question.  
Not disagreeing with any of these. And who knows if anyone else could have taken the PKs in this or any situation since she took all three.  England rotated through three kickers since they all missed, so being able to take one is huge.  Every team needs a leader like this.

I just don't see how that wipes out so much poor play to say she is the best in the tourney.  

In these situations you have to look at the ability to rally a team, that doesn't play together much, quickly to play against the best in the world.  

You look at a guy like Messi and he was never really able to pull together a very talented squad like that.  It isn't like it's LeBron on the cavs and he has 10 months to get everyone on the same page.  

Rapinoe for sure had that skill.  A step slow at times, but clutch AF.  

Not disagreeing with any of these. And who knows if anyone else could have taken the PKs in this or any situation since she took all three.  England rotated through three kickers since they all missed, so being able to take one is huge.  Every team needs a leader like this.

I just don't see how that wipes out so much poor play to say she is the best in the tourney.  
dunno that MVP necessarily or even has to equate to "best".

In these situations you have to look at the ability to rally a team, that doesn't play together much, quickly to play against the best in the world.  

You look at a guy like Messi and he was never really able to pull together a very talented squad like that.  It isn't like it's LeBron on the cavs and he has 10 months to get everyone on the same page.  

Rapinoe for sure had that skill.  A step slow at times, but clutch AF.  
Argentina's entire federation is a complete mess. Despite that, Messi led them to the finals of the 2014 World Cup where they lost 1-0 in extra time due to a great goal by swimsuit-boner-man. Messi won the Golden Ball but a lot of people disagreed with that selection. 

The talent level of Argentina's national team compared to the rest of the world is not even in the same stratosphere relative to the US Women. 

Last edited by a moderator:
She’s pretty much a lock right? 
Pretty much, IMO. There's half a year left but I figure there's only a handful of people left who could beat her given the stuff that's left on the calendar. Tiger if he wins the British Open or the FedEx Cup, maybe a baseball player if they pull off a miraculous combo or team/individual performance in the second half (like if Yelich posts 60+ HRs and leads the Brewers to the World Series). And there's always the possibility of some form of activism in response to some forthcoming crisis, but that's a big part of Rapinoe's case too. 

Pretty much, IMO. There's half a year left but I figure there's only a handful of people left who could beat her given the stuff that's left on the calendar. Tiger if he wins the British Open or the FedEx Cup, maybe a baseball player if they pull off a miraculous combo or team/individual performance in the second half (like if Yelich posts 60+ HRs and leads the Brewers to the World Series). And there's always the possibility of some form of activism in response to some forthcoming crisis, but that's a big part of Rapinoe's case too. 
I think Kawi might have a say in this too.  

I think Kawi might have a say in this too.  
I thought about him too.  But he skipped a bunch of the regular season and didn't do anything amazing stat or milestone wise, arguably only won a title because of the Durant/Klay injuries, and maybe most importantly they've been giving it to NBA guys a lot recently, three times in the last seven years including last year.

There's really no other candidates so far this year other than Tiger. Maybe a guy like Mahomes, Zion Williamson or Kyler Murray would have a case if they'd won a title (and then played well in the first part of the upcoming seasons), but they didn't.  Rapinoe just seems like a no-brainer to me unless someone does something truly absurd over the rest of the MLB season.

I thought about him too.  But he skipped a bunch of the regular season and didn't do anything amazing stat or milestone wise, arguably only won a title because of the Durant/Klay injuries, and maybe most importantly they've been giving it to NBA guys a lot recently, three times in the last seven years including last year.

There's really no other candidates so far this year other than Tiger. Maybe a guy like Mahomes, Zion Williamson or Kyler Murray would have a case if they'd won a title (and then played well in the first part of the upcoming seasons), but they didn't.  Rapinoe just seems like a no-brainer to me unless someone does something truly absurd over the rest of the MLB season.
Yeah, I think Rapinoe is the right choice.  Tiger would have to win the Open and I don't think that's going to happen (but I also didn't think he'd win the Masters, so the hell do I know). 

dunno that MVP necessarily or even has to equate to "best".
Normally I agree with you.  Always have argued the MVP isnt necessarily the best player.  Should be 2 different awards.  BUT the Golden Ball (currently commercially termed "adidas Golden Ball") for best player, first awarded in 1982;  says nothing about most valuable.  Awarded to the best player.  Semantics maybe.  But there is a difference.

Can't wait to see this argument x 1,000 when Rapinoe wins SI Sportsperson of the Year in December.
I have no issue with her as SI Sportsperson.  She is the leader on the team winning the title, golden boot winner, activist.  That is what the sportsperson of the year is about.

can we go back to the faux outrage over the unequal pay for these 23 ladies please?  that was much more interesting to read.

See you back in four years when interest in women's soccer comes back into the U.S.A.

Normally I agree with you.  Always have argued the MVP isnt necessarily the best player.  Should be 2 different awards.  BUT the Golden Ball (currently commercially termed "adidas Golden Ball") for best player, first awarded in 1982;  says nothing about most valuable.  Awarded to the best player.  Semantics maybe.  But there is a difference.
isn't golden ball determined by goals, assists, per/minutes played? I didn't think it was subjective.

isn't golden ball determined by goals, assists, per/minutes played? I didn't think it was subjective.
Golden Boot is the leading scorer.  Golden Ball is tourney's best player. 

The Golden Ball award is presented to the best player at each FIFA World Cup final, with a shortlist drawn up by the FIFA technical committee and the winner voted for by representatives of the media. Those who finish as runners-up in the vote receive the Silver Ball and Bronze Ball awards as the second and third most outstanding players in the tournament respectively

can we go back to the faux outrage over the unequal pay for these 23 ladies please?  that was much more interesting to read.

See you back in four years when interest in women's soccer comes back into the U.S.A.
HEY!  I'm wearing my Thorns shirt at work right now, mister. 

Proud father of two daughters, all in favor of equal pay, and my youngest is a terrific soccer player (praying to the soccer Gods she receives some scholarship(s) for college).

but, let's call a duck a duck here and be honest.  No one is going to care in about 6 more minutes.  Megan Rapinoe will fall right next to Abby Wambach and Mrs. Garciaparra in the where are you now files.  :shrug:

I think so.  In '99 they gave it to the entire women's team.  That team had lots of great players but no real standouts like Rapinoe. Neither the tournament top scorer nor top player that year were US players.
I seem to remember Mia Hamm being the star player of that team, and that she was a pretty high-quality player in her own right.

HEY!  I'm wearing my Thorns shirt at work right now, mister. 
seeing as you are one of the NWSL fans in here, what do you think of the mild controversy brewing about the cash grab victory tour that is causing the women to miss even more NWSL games?  I have seen lots of comments both for and against.

I think US Soccer put the women in a bad spot here.

I seem to remember Mia Hamm being the star player of that team, and that she was a pretty high-quality player in her own right.
I think he meant in the tournament itself, not in general.  

Mia was the reluctant star of that team.  The best way to think of her is 180 degrees from Rapinoe who needs the camera like most people need air.  Mia was so shy she never talked to any one in  the media.  Foudy tells the story that the greatest player in the world at the time did not think she was good enough to take a PK in the final in 1999 and they all had to convince her.

I think he meant in the tournament itself, not in general.  

Mia was the reluctant star of that team.  The best way to think of her is 180 degrees from Rapinoe who needs the camera like most people need air.  Mia was so shy she never talked to any one in  the media.  Foudy tells the story that the greatest player in the world at the time did not think she was good enough to take a PK in the final in 1999 and they all had to convince her.
I thought he was referring just to talent, not 'personality'.

seeing as you are one of the NWSL fans in here, what do you think of the mild controversy brewing about the cash grab victory tour that is causing the women to miss even more NWSL games?  I have seen lots of comments both for and against.

I think US Soccer put the women in a bad spot here.
Well 1:  I am an absolute n00b when it comes to soccer and the mechanics of pay currently in place.  I've learned a great deal just from reading your posts about the subject alone, so I don't consider myself anywhere remotely qualified to answer your questions.

But 2:  I'm not a season ticket holder of the Thorns - yet - so I'm not too bothered by it.  However, if and when I do become a season ticket holder, I think I'd be a little miffed that Tobin Heath, Lindsey Horan, Emily Sonnett and Adrianna French were unavailable for yet another home match (or more) because of obligations to the USWNT to play an exhibition game.  

I don't begrudge the women for taking the payday, but I feel like the USSF could have arranged for these exhibition games after the NWSL season was over.  Though I do see the rationale for striking while the iron is hot, especially if you can sell tickets at the Rose Bowl.  

Golden Boot is the leading scorer.  Golden Ball is tourney's best player. 

The Golden Ball award is presented to the best player at each FIFA World Cup final, with a shortlist drawn up by the FIFA technical committee and the winner voted for by representatives of the media. Those who finish as runners-up in the vote receive the Silver Ball and Bronze Ball awards as the second and third most outstanding players in the tournament respectively
ah- thanks. :thumbup:

I'd have gone elsewhere as well... probably lavelle. or the english forward with the goggle celebration

Hamm was probably the best player on the team, but was very media shy.  She wouldn't do late night shows and hated media appearances.  Akers, Scurry, Milbrett, Chastain and Foudy were all on that team, with Chastain getting the big media attention when she took off her top after scoring the winning penalty in the final (Hamm shot 4th, leaving the game winner for the younger Chastain).  Hamm did not score much in the tournament, did not even lead the US in scoring, and both the golden ball and boot were won by non-US players.

Just to be clear when I said cash grab, I was referring to US Soccer not the women themselves.  US Soccer makes good money on these type of games.   The women get their normal CBA assigned pay for friendlies.
Seems like the perfect time for a strike. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3908663/ussf-says-uswnt-has-made-more-than-the-men?src=com

U.S. Soccer president Carlos Cordeiro contended Monday that analysis of federation finances showed that it paid members of the women's national team millions of dollars more than members of the men's national team over a period of nearly a decade.

:shrug:  I think US Soccer is making a mistake.  First line of defense - in court/arbitration - should be that these are not equals.  Sure they play the same game, but the men are objectively better.  This is not a situation of "equal pay for equal work".  This is like a low level manager complaining she does not make as much as a male senior manager - since they are both managers...

What they should do, is have the women's team play the men's team each January, and split the annual revenues on the basis of goals scored in that game.

:shrug:  I think US Soccer is making a mistake.  First line of defense - in court/arbitration - should be that these are not equals.  Sure they play the same game, but the men are objectively better.  This is not a situation of "equal pay for equal work".  This is like a low level manager complaining she does not make as much as a male senior manager - since they are both managers...

What they should do, is have the women's team play the men's team each January, and split the annual revenues on the basis of goals scored in that game.
They essentially ARE making that argument though.  They boiled down the financials to show that the men's games makes, on average, more than double what the women's games do.  That even though the women played far more games than the men, that the men actually earned more revenue in the games they did play.  No rational judge is going to view them as equals when it comes to pay based on revenue.

They essentially ARE making that argument though.  They boiled down the financials to show that the men's games makes, on average, more than double what the women's games do.  That even though the women played far more games than the men, that the men actually earned more revenue in the games they did play.  No rational judge is going to view them as equals when it comes to pay based on revenue.
I don't see that as the "same" argument - it in essence says, "assuming they are equal" the men generate more revenue, and thus are paid more.

I think the stance should be right up front - These are not remotely equal, or even similar jobs, and or skills.  Thus the disparity in income is not based on gender, but based on objective skill based discrimination.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3908663/ussf-says-uswnt-has-made-more-than-the-men?src=com

U.S. Soccer president Carlos Cordeiro contended Monday that analysis of federation finances showed that it paid members of the women's national team millions of dollars more than members of the men's national team over a period of nearly a decade.
the USWNT representative response to this was "please ignore the club salaries, they are not appropriate to consider".   

They did not explain why, either financially, or with basic reasoning why they should be ignored,  but they are the entire crux of the issue as many of us have been saying for a long time now.

Personally, since the women collective bargained for the salaries with US Soccer, and added in a nasty poison pill hurting others in the NWSL, I think it is fair to consider the salaries a part of their total compensation package.

US Soccer lost this battle long ago though in the public by not immediately stressing the salaries.  Now that so many just want to wave the equal pay flag, they may be screwed.   

The question I have is whether a court will also fall under the same public pressure or will a court see the salaries for what they are.  I don't see any way this stays out of court at this point.

So took the kid to the victory tour game Sat night at the Rose Bowl.  30-40k people there.  3-0 victory over a poor Ireland team.  felt like 80+% possession for the US. 3 nice goals although upon re-watching on tv should have been called back for offside.

Anyway, we were able to get seats close to the field where the subs were warming up for the US.  All the goals were at the other end unfortunately.  When the game ended we were able to get to the fence around the field and my kid got Allie Long to sign her jersey.  She was so excited.  Almost got Press too.  Watched the postgame show and actually could see my girl at the fence on TV.  All in all a pretty good night!

So took the kid to the victory tour game Sat night at the Rose Bowl.  30-40k people there.  3-0 victory over a poor Ireland team.  felt like 80+% possession for the US. 3 nice goals although upon re-watching on tv should have been called back for offside.

Anyway, we were able to get seats close to the field where the subs were warming up for the US.  All the goals were at the other end unfortunately.  When the game ended we were able to get to the fence around the field and my kid got Allie Long to sign her jersey.  She was so excited.  Almost got Press too.  Watched the postgame show and actually could see my girl at the fence on TV.  All in all a pretty good night!
Nice! I just bought tickets to take my 10 y.o. daughter to the game in Charlotte in October. Can't wait!.

I don't see that as the "same" argument - it in essence says, "assuming they are equal" the men generate more revenue, and thus are paid more.

I think the stance should be right up front - These are not remotely equal, or even similar jobs, and or skills.  Thus the disparity in income is not based on gender, but based on objective skill based discrimination.
I don't know anything about the history of this whole issue, but reading up a bit today after seeing a headline.  According to this article:

But let's talk about that money. Where does it come from? The biggest revenue streams are TV deals, sponsorship deals and ticket sales. It's tricky to decipher how much the men are bringing in with TV deals and sponsorship deals versus the women because those deals are often sold in bundles. When it comes to ticket sales though, the women have actually raked in more money over the past three years, according to audited financial statements obtained by The Wall Street Journal.

From 2016 to 2018, women's games generated approximately $50.8 million in revenue, compared with $49.9 million for men's games. Here's the sneaky caveat: The men actually average higher attendance. Meanwhile, the women have played in more games, which leads to more revenue. The women have also done more promotional and media tours than the men have in that span.

What is a potential solution?

There is one outlined in the lawsuit: The WNTPA proposed a revenue-sharing model to "test the USSF's 'market realities' theory." In that model, player compensation would directly be linked to how much revenue each team generates.
So if the total revenue actually is greater (I have no idea if this is accurate and/or the full scope of the situation) for women, why shouldn't they be compensated more in the collective bargaining agreement?  Is an issue that putting on twice as many events leads to much higher costs for the women to generate that revenue, so there is actually less to distribute?  I'm sure that there are many nuances to this whole situation.  

I was initially going to argue for my first point, but now that I am thinking about it, it probably would be apples and oranges to just use revenue and a revenue-sharing model.

I don't know anything about the history of this whole issue, but reading up a bit today after seeing a headline.  According to this article:

So if the total revenue actually is greater (I have no idea if this is accurate and/or the full scope of the situation) for women, why shouldn't they be compensated more in the collective bargaining agreement?  Is an issue that putting on twice as many events leads to much higher costs for the women to generate that revenue, so there is actually less to distribute?  I'm sure that there are many nuances to this whole situation.  

I was initially going to argue for my first point, but now that I am thinking about it, it probably would be apples and oranges to just use revenue and a revenue-sharing model.
I tend to focus on the on-field side of this sport... others here have greater breadth of knowledge/nuance on this- but... IMO, as long as the WNT salaries are paid by US Soccer, it's going to be tough to apples anything.

I dont think that is a nuance. 
meaning essentially the difference between revenue and gross profit?  i guess not for some, but when i see it reported that way and assume that revenue is driving the conversation, it seems like it might be a nuance.  though i was more talking about other nuances in the financial structure that i am not aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread