What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Free Dad Hugs At Pride Parade (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:
My version after the Pride Parade in Knoxville yesterday. 

This was sort of an accident. I knew Knoxville had a parade but I didn't know when it was. Turns out I realized Friday night it was planned for Saturday morning starting at 10:30. And just by "coincidence", I was planning to be downtown a half mile from the parade route for an appointment at 12:30. And I'd just happened to order this shirt a week ago after I read the article I linked to in the original post. 

I put quotes around "coincidence" because I think things often happen to me for a reason. 

So I went. I wore the shirt and I found an open spot and I gave out a bunch of Free Dad Hugs. My experience wasn't as dramatic as the Dad at the parade in Pittsburgh. Part of it I'm sure is it wasn't a novel idea anymore. Part of it is age maybe. It's a little creepy for a 55 year old man to be offering hugs. But by and large, it was a great experience. A few people seemed genuinely grateful. No sobbing or anything but you could tell there was something special. Most were just happy and appreciative. 

Really, it was just hugs. But sometimes that's enough. Everyone likes a hug. Some people especially like a hug from their dad. I may not have been THEIR dad. But I was A dad. And that was something. So I gave out hugs. It didn't change anything or anyone. It was erring on the side of love. And hugs. Which sounds kind of lame. And maybe it is. But it's what I'm going with.

This was sort of an accident. I knew Knoxville had a parade but I didn't know when it was. Turns out I realized Friday night it was planned for Saturday morning starting at 10:30. And just by "coincidence", I was planning to be downtown a half mile from the parade route for an appointment at 12:30. And I'd just happened to order this shirt a week ago after I read the article I linked to in the original post. 

I put quotes around "coincidence" because I think things often happen to me for a reason. 

So I went. And I found an open spot and I gave out Free Dad Hugs. My experience wasn't as dramatic as the Dad at the parade in Pittsburgh. Part of it I'm sure is it wasn't a novel idea anymore. Part of it is age maybe. It's a little creepy for a 55 year old man to be offering hugs. But by and large, it was a great experience. A few people seemed genuinely grateful. No sobbing or anything but you could tell there was something special. Most were just happy and appreciative. 

Really, it was just hugs. But sometimes that's enough. Everyone likes a hug. Some people especially like a hug from their dad. I may not have been THEIR dad. But I was A dad. And that was something. So I gave out hugs. It didn't change anything or anyone. It was erring on the side of love. And hugs. Which sounds kind of lame. And maybe it is. But it's what I'm going with.
Super cool. I’m glad it was a good experience for you. Don’t underestimate the impact a simple loving gesture can have on another person. 

Super cool. I’m glad it was a good experience for you. Don’t underestimate the impact a simple loving gesture can have on another person.  
Agreed. I've seen it many times where something simple can be meaningful.

I've been hesitant to even talk about it as this isn't about me. I'm still not sure I should have said anything as it's hard to tell it without it sounding like it is. I think it's just about empathy and erring on the side of love. 

So I went. I wore the shirt and I found an open spot and I gave out Free Dad Hugs. My experience wasn't as dramatic as the Dad at the parade in Pittsburgh. Part of it I'm sure is it wasn't a novel idea anymore. Part of it is age maybe. It's a little creepy for a 55 year old man to be offering hugs. But by and large, it was a great experience. A few people seemed genuinely grateful. No sobbing or anything but you could tell there was something special. Most were just happy and appreciative. 

You’re a good man.

So I went. I wore the shirt and I found an open spot and I gave out a bunch of Free Dad Hugs. My experience wasn't as dramatic as the Dad at the parade in Pittsburgh. Part of it I'm sure is it wasn't a novel idea anymore. Part of it is age maybe. It's a little creepy for a 55 year old man to be offering hugs. But by and large, it was a great experience. A few people seemed genuinely grateful. No sobbing or anything but you could tell there was something special. Most were just happy and appreciative. 

This is a great story.

And a great way to live life.

✌️😎👍

You’re a good man.
I don't know about that. But thank you, you're kind.

As I've thought about this a bit more, I think what's hitting me on the "it's not about me" angle is this: It isn't about me. But it's somewhat about the response from people like me. Meaning the bigger group. And in the bigger sense, it feels like it's about all of us. That we're all in this together. That we can default to the side of extending grace and love to each other. 

As the parent of a trans teenager, I applaud you for this, Joe. Well done.

To those parents with LGBTQ kids, I only have one word of advice:  Love doesn't have an off-switch. If you loved your child before they came out, you should love them equally afterwards. They are still the same person with the same needs and feelings.

Good on you, Joe.  :thumbup:  And yep, I've said it for many years. Sometimes a hug says it all. 

I am not quite sure why this is a national story now.  There has been a group of middle-aged women doing this for years at the Pittsburgh Pride March.   My coworker does it every year.

As the parent of a trans teenager, I applaud you for this, Joe. Well done.

To those parents with LGBTQ kids, I only have one word of advice:  Love doesn't have an off-switch. If you loved your child before they came out, you should love them equally afterwards. They are still the same person with the same needs and feelings.
One of my wife’s charity endeavors is working with an organization that helps  trans teens  whose families have turned their backs on them. Really eye opening and sad that people can do this to their own kids. Life is hard enough as a teen with full support from loved ones .

I am not quite sure why this is a national story now.  There has been a group of middle-aged women doing this for years at the Pittsburgh Pride March.   My coworker does it every year.
Not sure either. I think it's probably one of those "right place right time" things when a photographer caught what was happening. 

I'd guess there is likely a Dad vs Mom thing at play too. I'm completely generalizing and guessing about something I don't have a clue about (generally a bad idea) but my guess is there are more gay kids that had a problem with their dad being supportive compared to their mom. I have no idea if that's true though. Just a guess. If that were true, a Dad offering hugs might seem different than a Mom. 

HellToupee said:
It’s a damn shame the feelings at pride aren’t felt everyday, not only in this country but the world 
I agree. Our local pride day/parade is one of the happiest things I’ve ever been to. 

I was thinking about this last night, and this part really stuck with me:

• >> "I don't identify as Republican or Democrat. I'm an Independent," he said. "I've gotten a lot of hate mail calling me a leftist. I hunt, I fish, I carry a weapon, I'm a member of the NRA, but I'm out there hugging people, because I don't care who you love." 

I know I should never underestimate how miserable humanity can be....but good grief.    If you're so angry about this guy offering free hugs that you have to send politically charged hate mail to him -- it's time to reassess your life.  You're a complete failure.  

Godsbrother said:
Why would a group of women offer “Dad Hugs”?

I was thinking about this last night, and this part really stuck with me:

• >> "I don't identify as Republican or Democrat. I'm an Independent," he said. "I've gotten a lot of hate mail calling me a leftist. I hunt, I fish, I carry a weapon, I'm a member of the NRA, but I'm out there hugging people, because I don't care who you love." 

I know I should never underestimate how miserable humanity can be....but good grief.    If you're so angry about this guy offering free hugs that you have to send politically charged hate mail to him -- it's time to reassess your life.  You're a complete failure.  
Yeah, it’s probably a good thing you don’t go to the Politics Forum.

Users who are viewing this thread