What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Dad And Cancer (1 Viewer)

So sorry Joe, but so glad you and your dad had such a great, close relationship and that you have so many wonderful memories. Peace.

So sorry to hear the news, Joe. My prayers are with you and your family.

Also very grateful that you were given the gift of being able to say goodbye to him and tell him what he meant to you

Very sorry for your loss Joe. All the best to you and your family.

In hindsight your dad had the right intuition to forgo aggressive treatment as it allowed him to participate in Thanksgiving without a bunch of surgeries and treatments interfering.

Joe, this piece you tweeted out is so beautiful and touching. What a wonderful thing to have and to also express to your dad.

“But one of the things I told him was if I could draw up a script for a fantastic story with a father and son, I couldn't do better than the story we actually lived out together.”

Hi Folks,

My Dad died last night about 3:00 AM.

He went quickly downhill the last couple of days and he was ready.

I was able to spend good time with him and express clearly how much appreciative I am of him and how much I love him and he very much appreciated that.

Good lesson for me there in even though you think people know everything you think, they sometimes don't. This was a very good thing.

He died peacefully at home and did not seem to be in pain.

I'm beyond grateful for him and owe him so much.

Thank y'all for the support here. Much appreciated.
I'm so sorry to hear this Joe, I'll be praying for your family. I'm thankful you got to spend that quality time with him and you have as much closure as you can on this side of life.

Sorry for your loss, Joe. We will hold the Bryant family in prayer.

Your dad sounds like a great man. I’m sure he was proud of you. Love how you are honoring his life. Thinking of you, brother man.

Just read your beautiful and moving tribute to your dad on Twitter. Definitely choked up reading it as it brought back memories of being able to say the things I wanted to say to my mom before she died. Telling my mom she was my hero one final time was a real gift and I'm glad you had the chance to share your heart with your dad. Peace to you and your family, Joe.

Was able to add some more thoughts here.

Thanks y'all.

https://x.com/Football_Guys/status/1731675801563607046?s=20 - for a pic

Some personal news. I'm ok here and don’t need a thing, but I’m sorry to let you know some sad news that my Dad died yesterday.

He was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called “spindle cell” a couple of weeks ago and it spread to his lungs. The upside is he did not suffer a long time. He just became weaker and would get short of breath. Last week it began to progress rapidly, and they brought hospice care in.

He was 100% good mentally all the way up to the end and understood and accepted how this would go. He died peacefully at home.Late last week, I was fortunate to be able to clearly let him know how much I love and appreciate some of the things he’s done for me and my family. It was three pages of some of the things I hoped he already knew. Being able to share that with him and leave a written copy was a true gift. He fully understood and appreciated what I was able to tell him. And it was very good.

An example of him being good mentally last week was when I asked if I could read to him the list of things I was thankful for, he said, "Of course.".

I had a hard time starting and was choked up. He joked, "You're not doing this very good".

That was about as critical a thing as he ever said to me. That's just how he was. An encourager.

He had a very strong faith, and he was ready to go. He told me he was much more fearful of this dragging out a long time than he was afraid of dying. He’s reunited with my little brother Rich today and his beloved Mother and his Father he barely knew as he died when my Dad was just a boy. I can only imagine the joy.

I’m crushed to not have him here. I knew him and loved him longer than any other person on Earth. But one of the things I told him was if I could draw up a script for a fantastic story with a father and son, I couldn't do better than the story we actually lived out together.

So while I'm sad. I’m grateful. I was able to tell him how much of who I am and all the good things I'm able to do and have are connected to him. I learned so much from him and received so much opportunity from him. I knew without a doubt that he was always "for me". So I'm forever thankful. What a gift.

We're not ready for a memorial service this week but we’ll try to get that set for a future date soon.

Joe I am very sorry for your loss. I wish you and your family peace and nothing but the best. My heart goes out to you, and I'll keep you all in my prayers. Take care.

I was very sorry to read the news on Twitter. Your post was heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

Your written words often exude quite a bit of grace even when you're writing about frivolous things like fantasy football and other topics of the FFA. I hope it's comforting to know that you likely were gifted that grace from your Dad.

Blessings to you and your family.

Very sorry for your loss, Joe.

My dad fought bladder cancer for more than 20 years, but liver cancer is another animal. It took about 10 months.

The mental fitness to the end and acceptance of what was happening that you mentioned was huge imo. It's sad to miss them, but I find myself thinking more and more that it was a blessing my dad went before he became completely dependent on other people for everything. He would have hated that. Best wishes to you and your family through all of this.

In hindsight your dad had the right intuition to forgo aggressive treatment as it allowed him to participate in Thanksgiving without a bunch of surgeries and treatments interfering.
Most doctors, when they themselves near the end of their lives, tend to forego extraordinary measures to prolong their lifespan. There's a lesson in there

Most doctors, when they themselves near the end of their lives, tend to forego extraordinary measures to prolong their lifespan. There's a lesson in there
Interesting. I had not heard that before, but it doesn't surprise me, as chemo and radiation as understood by the general populace are a lot different than the actual experience of the patients, family members, and medical staff who see such things first hand.

I actually had a friend who recovered from a really bad prognosis after a gruelingly awful hospital stay and treatment. He told us when he was in the process of gaining back the 50 pounds of weight he had lost (and he was not a large man) that he would have stopped his treatment if not for his kids.

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing, and my deepest condolences to you and your family during this difficult time. I'm glad you were able to spend time with him in his final days.

Just saw this
So sorry Joe. Cancer is the worst. Lost a friend the other day. Has impacted a lot of family members as well
I’m luckily to have both parents around but I know those days are numbered

Thanks y'all. It was a nice day yesterday. He died on the third so it was almost a month. In some ways that was a good thing as it let people process better. In other ways, I'd sort of been dreading it. I think on balance, it was good to have waited.

Cooking the BBQ was stressful but in the end, it was totally the right thing. It just made too much sense given he'd built the BBQ cooker.

Our normal crew for helping break down and chop the cooked BBQ were from his church and we had a dozen of his friends there a couple hours before the service to help do that. I think that was helpful for them too.

It was so sweet to see his friends.

One of his friends is 90 and still in great shape. Still walks 9 holes of golf almost every day. But at 90, he's no stranger to funerals for his friends.

He could barely talk and held on to my arm saying, "This one. This one is hard".

His church is relatively small with about 300 members but very active and his church community was a big part of his life.

My big worry was how we'd keep the BBQ warm in the couple of hours between getting it ready , then the service and then serving lunch. Turns out the little church kitchen had two brand new really nice ovens that did exactly what was needed. Later learned my Dad had bought those for the church last year.

They brought up a couple of his latest hot rod cars and parked them at the front door of the church.

The service was in the sanctuary of the church and sweet. 3 of his friends sang songs that my dad loved. And I asked 4 of his friends from different parts of his life to speak. They crushed it. One was a tough Special Forces retired Colonel who'd been friends with my dad since the 3rd grade. He told a few stories and fought back tears ending with, "He was my friend for 71 years". And then sat down. We could have ended it right there.

The others talked and then I was able to give a eulogy that kind of tied it all together. It was serious but light. I made a joke about him being a husband 3 times. But not all at the same time.

I was able to recognize a few people too and say thanks. I had a lot of people there tell me later that they knew my dad well but had a better picture of him after the service and learned some things they didn't know. So that's good.

And the BBQ crushed. Small churches in the South often have a multi use area that is a gym but also place to set up tables for a lunch or dinner. They did all that and it was great.

I felt relieved and better after it was over. And I think my Dad would have been happy and proud.

What an amazing man he is and he raised an amazing man.

Thank you for sharing , i know its hard as ive been thru this myself when my dad was diagnosed with Cancer in his bladder . He passed away 2 months after they found the mass in his body . Its heart wrenching watching someone you loved and looked up and depended on suffer so and unable to stop it . All we can do is make it as comfortable as possible .

God bless

Users who are viewing this thread