What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Dad And Cancer (1 Viewer)

A really cool thing my mom’s family did recently was a couple of my uncles sat down and simply recorded an interview of sorts with my mom’s oldest brother. They asked him questions about his childhood, about the family, about his life, etc. What an awesome thing it was to be able to give that recording to the rest of the family to hear stories never heard, find out family history that wasn’t know or was forgotten, to laugh and cry together. Maybe you’ve already done something like that, if so, being able to relive those together while you still can would be an amazing blessing.
This could be a wonderful gift for all of you.

Best wishes for a lovely family Thanksgiving.

Thank y'all. I was hesitant to share as I didn't want it to seem like a sympathy thing. But this was super helpful. Thank y'all. 🙏
Joe, you’ve been so kind, supportive, and sympathetic for so many others, it’s the least everyone can do to be supportive for you as well.

There’s never a good way to lose a loved one, but I think there can be gifts in certain ways. We had very similar timing and circumstances with my grandfather years ago. I wish I had realized the opportunity I had to simply ask questions and have him tell stories that I’ll never hear or know now because I didn’t understand the opportunity I had.

A really cool thing my mom’s family did recently was a couple of my uncles sat down and simply recorded an interview of sorts with my mom’s oldest brother. They asked him questions about his childhood, about the family, about his life, etc. What an awesome thing it was to be able to give that recording to the rest of the family to hear stories never heard, find out family history that wasn’t know or was forgotten, to laugh and cry together. Maybe you’ve already done something like that, if so, being able to relive those together while you still can would be an amazing blessing.

May God bless you and your family’s time together richly and extravagantly. May there be much joy, love, and laughter over the next weeks.
My mother went thru the final stages of Alzheimer’s last year during the holidays. I did take a lot of videos toward the end. I have them all, just not ready to see them quite yet.

Will be thinking of you and the Bryant family today Joe.

Sorry to read this. Good OP to reflect a little today. Spend time with your parents while you can.

Lost my dad when I was 15 so really don`t have the memories to draw on. Can hardly remember his voice or what he looked like other than looking at pictures. I guess that is good and bad.

Just wanted to wish you and the family a wonderful and peaceful Thanksgiving, Joe.

Goes for all the other FBGs out there too.

Sorry to hear this Joe. My old man's going through a similar thing right now albeit not anywhere near as advanced, glad you are able to spend this time together

God bless you and your family JB. Enjoy the time you have left together - it's a gift. The best advice I can give is not to grieve while you have him with you. Celebrate his life now, there will be time to grieve after he's gone.

Pax Christi

Thanks y'all. It was a good day. Bittersweet, but good. As he always does every year, my dad carved the turkey and explained to his grandsons how everyone should know how to carve a turkey as if they have never heard this tutorial before.

He brought one of his childhood friends with him that didn't have a place for dinner and his friend was a lot of fun, and the mood was light as we told fun old stories. Including some from his friend that I had never heard before.

It was especially sad at the end, as he can no longer walk from my front door to his car without stopping several times to catch his breath. He’s pretty sick. But when he's sitting still, he feels good.

We'll see where it leads from here. Thank you all for prayers and support. I am thankful for y'all.

I lost my father two years ago to lung cancer. While there are 6 siblings, I was the one who took him to all the appointments at the VA. Sat there with him while he decided whether to do the chemo, etc. The best advice I can give you is to have those tough conversations. Tell him how much you love him,etc. When my father ended up passing away I had just had hernia surgery and couldn't be there with him. But it was OK. Because my sister who was kind of estranged from him had to jump in and they were able to mend some fences before it was too late.

I lost my mother to brain cancer in 2004. I was not ready for that and it crushed me. There was so much I hadn't said to her that I couldn't. Cancer sucks. Hang in there Joe. Cherish every moment you have left and make them count. Thoughts and prayers for you.

Sending thoughts, prayers, and love your way, Joe. Truly. I hope you're able to spend as much quality time with your father as you can.

Sorry to hear this Joe. I've lost a few members of my family to cancer (most recently my Aunt) and my only word of advice is to be there for him and your mom (or whoever is his caregiver). This will be as tough on them mentally and physically.
God bless man, this will be a tough ride.

So sorry to hear this, Joe. Thoughts and prayers to your family and your father. I know it's not easy. :heart:🙏

Thoughts and prayers Joe - enjoy the most of the time you have. It's bitter-sweet, but also special that you have the holidays. Make some memories.

So sorry to hear about your father, Joe. I hope that all goes as well as possible for your Dad and that you are able to spend time with him while he is still alive.

Glad you and your Dad were able to enjoy Thanksgiving together Joe. I hope you are able to enjoy Christmas with him as well.

Joe: Your recounting of the storytelling on Thanksgiving made me think of my friend’s business - Heritage Films. And they do travel and could come to Tennessee.

It’s a great idea for anyone who is interested in preserving some of the stories and oral histories of a loved one.

This video explains the process: https://vimeo.com/429788115

Last edited:
Joe, I hope every day you and your dad have left together is as special as that first boat y'all sold on that Halloween day. I wish you and your family peace, strength, laughter, and love. :heart:🚤

Hi Folks,

My Dad died last night about 3:00 AM.

He went quickly downhill the last couple of days and he was ready.

I was able to spend good time with him and express clearly how much appreciative I am of him and how much I love him and he very much appreciated that.

Good lesson for me there in even though you think people know everything you think, they sometimes don't. This was a very good thing.

He died peacefully at home and did not seem to be in pain.

I'm beyond grateful for him and owe him so much.

Thank y'all for the support here. Much appreciated.

Sorry to hear it Joe but I’m glad you got to spend that time with him and let him know how much he means to you. Cherish that because speaking for many, we don’t or didn’t have that.

Joe, I hope every day you and your dad have left together is as special as that first boat y'all sold on that Halloween day. I wish you and your family peace, strength, laughter, and love. :heart:🚤

How did you remember that! That was a long time ago but a fun memory and a fun thing.
I remember random things, but I'm pretty sure I remembered that because it was a special milestone in your life, and I could tell that the memory made your heart smile.

I'm sorry for the loss of your dad. I'm glad that all of you had the time to express how much you mean to each other. I'm also glad that his illness was short, and he left this world peacefully. May all the great memories of your dad rain down on you and your family and saturate you in peace, comfort, and lots of love. Soak it up. :heart: RIP Mr. Bryant

How did you remember that! That was a long time ago but a fun memory and a fun thing.
I remember random things, but I'm pretty sure I remembered that because it was a special milestone in your life, and I could tell that the memory made your heart smile.

I'm sorry for the loss of your dad. I'm glad that all of you had the time to express how much you mean to each other. I'm also glad that his illness was short, and he left this world peacefully. May all the great memories of your dad rain down on you and your family and saturate you in peace, comfort, and lots of love. Soak it up. :heart: RIP Mr. Bryant

Thank you so much. You're right in it's a fun memory. Halloween of 1990 and we sold our first boat. I have an old picture I'll post. I was 26 and no clue about anything other than I wanted to be in business with my Dad. Footballguys was another 10 years away.

I worked hard on things and felt like I carried my weight but he helped me in so many ways giving me an opportunity and showing me daily what it meant to be a businessperson and do things.

Thank you so much. You're right in it's a fun memory. Halloween of 1990 and we sold our first boat. I have an old picture I'll post. I was 26 and no clue about anything other than I wanted to be in business with my Dad. Footballguys was another 10 years away.

I worked hard on things and felt like I carried my weight but he helped me in so many ways giving me an opportunity and showing me daily what it meant to be a businessperson and do things.
So awesome the life you and your dad had together. Hopefully in time you can share some more stories. That said, I'm horribly sad for you J. Condolences to your family.

My thoughts to you and your family.

My father (84) had a stroke last Feb and spent 4 months in-patient trying to get an accurate dx and treatment. Had to repair a valve and a very nice recovery. Very scary time for us

Hoping for peace for you

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

I was able to spend good time with him and express clearly how much appreciative I am of him and how much I love him and he very much appreciated that.

Good lesson for me there in even though you think people know everything you think, they sometimes don't. This was a very good thing.

I'm sorry to hear this Joe, you know he's in a better place right now.
I was happy to read your Thanksgiving post and the time you got to spend with your dad.
-I feel your loss, my dad passed from cancer as well. Today is about you and having time to reflect and heal emotionally.
Thoughts and Prayers to you and your loved ones. I'm sure your family and friends will surround you and give you lots of support thru this.

Very sorry for your loss Joe. If there is any small upside in this (let's face it, there isn't), he is no longer in pain. You sound like he was at peace and if he is a believer, he is in a better place.

I’m so sorry for your loss Joe. I’m sure one of the greatest gifts in your dad’s life was seeing the man that you became. May the many beautiful memories you have exist as grace carrying you through the weight of your loss.

Hi Folks,

so sorry joe - wish that I could have spent the time with my dad that you were able to spend with your dad later in life - as you know ...you're very fortunate

losing parents hurts man

Sorry to hear that Joe. Glad you got to spend time with him and echo your thoughts of always letting those around you know you love them.

So sorry for your loss Joe. I'm glad you got to spend that last Thanksgiving together, and you also got to tell him how much he meant to you. He likely knew but yes, it's always good to hear. It sounds like he left this world having lived a successful, happy life that mattered to others, and you can't ask for much more than that.

My thoughts and condolences go out to you and your family, Joe. :heart: and peace be with you always.

Oh, and simey is good people. That's why she remembers something that meant a lot to you. She's one of those that brings about a "salt of the earth" comment, and I truly appreciate her.

I also think of you that way, Joe. I hope you find happiness in whatever you do in the years ahead. Your father helped make you into a good man, and it shows. Bless him and you.

Checking in to see how the thanksgiving went and saw this. My condolences to the Bryant family. It’s never easy around the holidays, but the family got to be together one last time for Thanksgiving.

Users who are viewing this thread