What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Defending Sweatshops - What Do You Think? (1 Viewer)

Do You Agree With Kristof's Position On Sweatshops?

• Strongly Agree

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Somewhat Agree

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Somewhat Disagree

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Strongly Disagree

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Nicholas Kristof is an author I like. @Maurile Tremblay thinks he's sensible and that carries weight with me. 

This 2009 article from him came up when discussing the Nike / Kaepernick / Betsy Ross thing. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/opinion/15kristof.html

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia

Before Barack Obama and his team act on their talk about “labor standards,” I’d like to offer them a tour of the vast garbage dump here in Phnom Penh.

This is a Dante-like vision of hell. It’s a mountain of festering refuse, a half-hour hike across, emitting clouds of smoke from subterranean fires.

The miasma of toxic stink leaves you gasping, breezes batter you with filth, and even the rats look forlorn. Then the smoke parts and you come across a child ambling barefoot, searching for old plastic cups that recyclers will buy for five cents a pound. Many families actually live in shacks on this smokinggarbage.

Mr. Obama and the Democrats who favor labor standards in trade agreements mean well, for they intend to fight back at oppressive sweatshops abroad. But while it shocks Americans to hear it, the central challenge in the poorest countries is not that sweatshops exploit too many people, but that they don’t exploit enough.

Talk to these families in the dump, and a job in a sweatshop is a cherished dream, an escalator out of poverty, the kind of gauzy if probably unrealistic ambition that parents everywhere often have for their children.

“I’d love to get a job in a factory,” said Pim Srey Rath, a 19-year-old woman scavenging for plastic. “At least that work is in the shade. Here is where it’s hot.”

Another woman, Vath Sam Oeun, hopes her 10-year-old boy, scavenging beside her, grows up to get a factory job, partly because she has seen other children run over by garbage trucks. Her boy has never been to a doctor or a dentist, and last bathed when he was 2, so a sweatshop job by comparison would be far more pleasant and less dangerous.

I’m glad that many Americans are repulsed by the idea of importing products made by barely paid, barely legal workers in dangerous factories. Yet sweatshops are only a symptom of poverty, not a cause, and banning them closes off one route out of poverty. At a time of tremendous economic distress and protectionist pressures, there’s a special danger that tighter labor standards will be used as an excuse to curb trade.

When I defend sweatshops, people always ask me: But would you want to work in a sweatshop? No, of course not. But I would want even less to pull a rickshaw. In the hierarchy of jobs in poor countries, sweltering at a sewing machine isn’t the bottom.

My views on sweatshops are shaped by years living in East Asia, watching as living standards soared — including those in my wife’s ancestral village in southern China — because of sweatshop jobs.

Manufacturing is one sector that can provide millions of jobs. Yet sweatshops usually go not to the poorest nations but to better-off countries with more reliable electricity and ports.

I often hear the argument: Labor standards can improve wages and working conditions, without greatly affecting the eventual retail cost of goods. That’s true. But labor standards and “living wages” have a larger impact on production costs that companies are always trying to pare. The result is to push companies to operate more capital-intensive factories in better-off nations like Malaysia, rather than labor-intensive factories in poorer countries like Ghana or Cambodia.

Cambodia has, in fact, pursued an interesting experiment by working with factories to establish decent labor standards and wages. It’s a worthwhile idea, but one result of paying above-market wages is that those in charge of hiring often demand bribes — sometimes a month’s salary — in exchange for a job. In addition, these standards add to production costs, so some factories have closed because of the global economic crisis and the difficulty of competing internationally.

The best way to help people in the poorest countries isn’t to campaign against sweatshops but to promote manufacturing there. One of the best things America could do for Africa would be to strengthen our program to encourage African imports, called AGOA, and nudge Europe to match it.

Among people who work in development, many strongly believe (but few dare say very loudly) that one of the best hopes for the poorest countries would be to build their manufacturing industries. But global campaigns against sweatshops make that less likely.

Look, I know that Americans have a hard time accepting that sweatshops can help people. But take it from 13-year-old Neuo Chanthou, who earns a bit less than $1 a day scavenging in the dump. She’s wearing a “Playboy”shirt and hat that she found amid the filth, and she worries about her sister, who lost part of her hand when a garbage truck ran over her.

“It’s dirty, hot and smelly here,” she said wistfully. “A factory is better.”

The problem I have with his argument is I understand the logic but it feels eerily similar to what one sometimes sees the person in power say to the person who's being badly mistreated in shaming them with "plenty of other people have it worse".

Whether it's the abusive husband who tells his battered wife she should be happy they have a nice home and there are women in the homeless shelter who'd be glad to switch places with her. 

Or slave masters who wanted to pat themselves on the back for having nicer slave housing than the "mean" slave owner who was even more cruel. 

At some point you know something is wrong. The fact it's less wrong than something else doesn't make it ok.

The fact a country has Dante like hell conditions for some people doesn't mean Nike gets credit because they just run a sweatshop. 

The problem I have with his argument is I understand the logic but it feels eerily similar to what one sometimes sees the person in power say to the person who's being badly mistreated in shaming them with "plenty of other people have it worse".

Whether it's the abusive husband who tells his battered wife she should be happy they have a nice home and there are women in the homeless shelter who'd be glad to switch places with her. 

Or slave masters who wanted to pat themselves on the back for having nicer slave housing than the "mean" slave owner who was even more cruel. 

At some point you know something is wrong. The fact it's less wrong than something else doesn't make it ok.

The fact a country has Dante like hell conditions for some people doesn't mean Nike gets credit because they just run a sweatshop. 
Exactly

Just because it's not the worst thing they could be doing doesn't make it morally right.  Add in the fact that it's for a first world country and a business that is making millions of $$$s and it's sickening if you ask me.  

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/04/25/bangladesh_building_collapse_toll_nears_200_joe_fresh_clothing_other_brands_made_at_site.html

Ask them if they would rather be alive and pushing a rickshaw or trapped in a burning building?

I voted "somewhat agree."  I think Kristof's position is clearly dictated by a basic understanding of economics if you take the world as it is.  But I couldn't vote "strongly agree" because I generally view multinational corporations as a very imperfect vehicle for lifting people out of poverty and making the world a better place.  I would greatly prefer it if the rich countries of the world (like the United States) substantially increased humanitarian aid that helped improve living conditions in the sorts of places Kristof is talking about.  I don't think it's particularly good for anyone if children in poor countries are toiling in factories rather than getting educated, especially if those factories are polluting where those children live.  And if the sweatshops are producing a bunch of crap that Westerners don't really need but they buy it anyway because it's just so cheap, that's a bad outcome too.  

Nike isn't really looking for credit, I don't think. It's looking for profits.

But the fact that profit-seeking is causing Nike to improve the lives of people in countries that have Dante-like hell conditions is a fortunate side-benefit. Nike should not be criticized for, or discouraged from, improving people's lives.

And while it's hard for us to look at an individual factory worker in a sweatshop as a shining example of an improved life, there's no real doubt that economic conditions in third-world countries in general have improved remarkably over the past few decades as manufacturing jobs (such as the ones Nike provides) have become available there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted "somewhat agree."  I think Kristof's position is clearly dictated by a basic understanding of economics if you take the world as it is.  But I couldn't vote "strongly agree" because I generally view multinational corporations as a very imperfect vehicle for lifting people out of poverty and making the world a better place.  I would greatly prefer it if the rich countries of the world (like the United States) substantially increased humanitarian aid that helped improve living conditions in the sorts of places Kristof is talking about.  I don't think it's particularly good for anyone if children in poor countries are toiling in factories rather than getting educated, especially if those factories are polluting where those children live.  And if the sweatshops are producing a bunch of crap that Westerners don't really need but they buy it anyway because it's just so cheap, that's a bad outcome too.  
I don't think that should have prevented you from voting "strongly agree" because I doubt Kristof would be opposed to that.

This is a hard issue because, as humans, our thoughts are significantly affected by our emotions, and it's impossible to look at the conditions in sweatshops and have positive emotions about them. The conditions in sweatshops are far worse than most of what we experience in our own lives (interns for Amy Klobuchar excepted), and so we feel bad about them. We'd probably feel better about things if the sweatshop workers all went back to the trash heaps and suffered quietly somewhere in a manner that made us feel less personally responsible (though we'd never think about it explicitly in those terms -- which is kind of the point). We wear Nike shoes and use iPhones, so we feel responsible for the plights of the sweatshop workers. We don't really have anything to do with the Cambodian trash heaps, so those don't have the same emotional effect on us.

I don't believe that humans should put aside their emotions when it comes to figuring out the moral course of action. Our emotional sentiments can be instructive, and we should pay attention to them.

But I also don't believe we should put aside dispassionate reason and go only by our emotional sentiments.

When our emotional sentiments are telling us that we'd be happier if people went from less suffering (in sweatshops) to more suffering (in trash heaps) because that way we'd feel less personally responsible, I think it's appropriate to let dispassionate reason trump our emotions. (I recognize there are different opinions about this -- utilitarianism vs. virtue ethics, etc.)

The natural response is, "But I'm not saying they should go back to the trash heaps; I'm saying they should stay in the Nike factories but get paid a lot more, and there should be air-conditioning and long lunch breaks with pizza on Fridays." That, however, involves coming up with an entirely new economic system, which is not realistic, and is therefore a sort of moral cop out, IMO.

Realistically, the best scenario for workers in China or Cambodia that I can think of would be along the lines of (a) something like capitalism and free trade, which have an imperfect but unmatched track record at lifting people out of poverty, (b) something like a constitutional democracy and the rule of law, which have an imperfect but unmatched track record of protecting human rights, and (c) plenty of humanitarian aid.

Countries like China and Cambodia could use a lot more of (b) and (c) for sure. But in terms of (a), manufacturing jobs in sweatshops seem like the least-bad realistic intermediate step between trash heaps and greater prosperity. Opposing them because they disturb us emotionally, when we don't have a better realistic solution to offer, is to do more harm than good, IMO.

What does a $2 an hour sweatshop in Cambodia do to wages around the rest of the world?  If Cambodia is willing to do something for $2 and hour and Haiti is willing to do it for $1 then what?  What if Bangladeshis are willing to do it for 10 cents?

And I don't see how you can take the emotional reactions to all this out of it.  We're nowhere near Cambodia, Haiti and Bangladesh in this country, but the decline of manufacturing in the US has already thrown up a populist demagogue who'd be wreaking even more havoc than he is if he weren't constrained by ~250 years of history.  That's what emotion gets you if you don't take it seriously.

I don't think that should have prevented you from voting "strongly agree" because I doubt Kristof would be opposed to that.
I guess I just couldn't vote "strongly agree" because it seems like there might be better options to help lift people out of poverty, although those options are clearly not politically viable right now.  I do strongly agree that it's better for  U.S. companies to be operating sweatshops in impoverished countries than to not do anything at all in those areas.  I don't know if that was the question though. 

Nike isn't really looking for credit, I don't think. It's looking for profits.
I think they are. As are those defending their practices.

It's a "Let's not criticize Nike. These jobs are in great demand". 

They leave out the "Well, yeah it's a sweatshop. But it's better than living at the dump". 

I think my biggest argument with Kristof is you could use the exact same logic in defending slavery. 

I've never been a big fan of the "Sure it's bad. But it could be worse" as a way to justify or defend what we know is still bad. 

I think my biggest argument with Kristof is you could use the exact same logic in defending slavery. 

I've never been a big fan of the "Sure it's bad. But it could be worse" as a way to justify or defend what we know is still bad. 
I don't think the logic works all that well in defending slavery.  If there was no slavery, the former slaves would, presumably, be better off.  If there were no sweatshops, the former sweatshop employees would be worse off.  That's the whole point of the article.

I don't think the logic works all that well in defending slavery.  If there was no slavery, the former slaves would, presumably, be better off.  If there were no sweatshops, the former sweatshop employees would be worse off.  That's the whole point of the article.
Probably not slavery as an institution. But definitely the mistreating of people. Justifying one mistreating another by claiming others are so much worse off they'd be improving their position to move up to swap with the people you're mistreating. 

How are we defining "better off" and "worse off"?

Are we comparing 1800s slave conditions to 1800s African tribesman conditions? Or are we comparing the conditions of their descendants?

If the only choices are bad and worse, I think it's a mistake to favor worse.

"Treating slaves well is preferable to treating them poorly, so let's have slaves and treat them well" isn't acceptable when a third possibility -- ending the institution of slavery -- would make people better off.

With sweatshops, what's the third possibility? If ending the institution of sweatshops would make people worse off, what then?

"Treating slaves well is preferable to treating them poorly, so let's have slaves and treat them well" isn't acceptable when a third possibility -- ending the institution of slavery -- would make people better off.

With sweatshops, what's the third possibility? If ending the institution of sweatshops would make people worse off, what then?
Who is favoring worse?

I'd say the third possibility is pay much better wages and have what we'd call good working conditions. 

I have a hard time believing profit margins on the Nike Shoes can't withstand paying decent wages. I get their goal is to make a profit. But at some point, enough is enough. 

Who is favoring worse?

I'd say the third possibility is pay much better wages and have what we'd call good working conditions. 

I have a hard time believing profit margins on the Nike Shoes can't withstand paying decent wages. I get their goal is to make a profit. But at some point, enough is enough. 
Sure, Nike could pay more to its overseas employees. But then it would experience a decrease in profits, which would lead to less money for investors and for Nike's American employees, which would lead to a smaller amount of money being pumped back into the American economy.

Also, it would allow Nike's competitors -- including ones that aren't based in America -- to capture market share by undercutting Nike's prices, which could lead to Nike losing its position as the #1 sports apparel brand, which could lead to thousands of Americans losing their jobs.

Who is favoring worse?

Why would Nike make their shoes in Cambodia then?  What you’re proposing is the same as shutting the sweatshops down.

Sure, Nike could pay more to its overseas employees. But then it would experience a decrease in profits, which would lead to less money for investors and for Nike's American employees, which would lead to a smaller amount of money being pumped back into the American economy.

Also, it would allow Nike's competitors -- including ones that aren't based in America -- to capture market share by undercutting Nike's prices, which could lead to Nike losing its position as the #1 sports apparel brand, which could lead to thousands of Americans losing their jobs.
Or we could institute policies that make all importers play on a level playing field. Here's the thing when workers rights are respected these factories can be a good thing. But when all they do is chase the next cheap place then they aren't.  And part of this problem is the whole idea that there is never enough profit that is driven by Wall Street. 

Or we could institute policies that make all importers play on a level playing field. Here's the thing when workers rights are respected these factories can be a good thing. But when all they do is chase the next cheap place then they aren't.  And part of this problem is the whole idea that there is never enough profit that is driven by Wall Street. 
Exactly...maybe the solution is that the top 1% shouldn't own 90% of the wealth???  Such a crazy thought for some.  But literally locking children into a sweatshop with no protections and then having it burn to the ground with the people inside...heck that's just capitalism

So why cant Nike pay $15 an hour for a living wage?

America seems to have a plan for this to work. Why not implement it globally?
Pay $15/hr to make shoes and ship them halfway around the world, vs. pay $15/hr and make them in our backyard and truck them to market.

It’s the low labor costs that make it feasible to produce in places with minimal infrastructure, far from the consumer markets at all.

So unless Nike can afford to engage in international charity and still stay in business, requiring them to pay living wages overseas may as well be the same as driving the workers back to the garbage dump.

Pay $15/hr to make shoes and ship them halfway around the world, vs. pay $15/hr and make them in our backyard and truck them to market.

It’s the low labor costs that make it feasible to produce in places with minimal infrastructure, far from the consumer markets at all.

So unless Nike can afford to engage in international charity and still stay in business, requiring them to pay living wages overseas may as well be the same as driving the workers back to the garbage dump.
Nike can afford it. They just put profit over people and that is their right. I just dont want to hear people say they are leading the way in corporate morality. 

This $15 hour minimum wage is going to sink smaller businesses in America. At the same Nike continues to exploit child labor to remain a multi billion dollar company.

Who is favoring worse?

If every intervention we can think of would make things worse, then anyone calling for intervention is favoring worse.

How do you propose to get employers to pay much better wages and offer good working conditions? I don't see a way to force it that doesn't do more harm than good -- i.e., I don't see a way that isn't effectively favoring worse.

Take Cambodia. We could encourage Cambodia to pass minimum-wage legislation to protect its own workers. But then factories owned by international corporations would relocate from Cambodia to Mauritania. That wouldn't be good for Cambodians. (It would be good for Mauritanians, but only because it would give Mauritania its own set of sweatshops, so it doesn't solve the problem we're trying to solve.)

Or we could have the U.S. forbid importing goods assembled in factories that pay less than $5/hr or whatever. But then factories would relocate from Cambodia to Mexico, or maybe Ohio. That wouldn't be good for Cambodians, either. (If Americans want to benefit Ohioans at the expense of Cambodians, that's possibly a valid desire; but in that case let's not use concern for Cambodians' own good as a pretext.)

We could hope that Nike just voluntarily agrees to pay above-market wages to Cambodians. They can afford it, to an extent. But Nike has an unusually strong brand that allows it to make an above-average return on invested capital. Its own situation can't be generalized to all manufacturers with factories in Cambodia, many of which would end up having to close down if they tried to pay above-market wages. So that's not a robust strategy.

Also, when we're talking about companies voluntarily paying above-market wages, we're no longer in section (a) of the final paragraph of my previous post, but we're instead in section (c). Subsection (c) is great. I'm all for it, and I think Nike's shareholders should use some of their own dividends to make charitable donations to people in places like Cambodia. But that's really a separate conversation, and anyway I don't see why the burden of foreign aid should fall on Nike shareholders specifically rather than on U.S. taxpayers more generally.

If every intervention we can think of would make things worse, then anyone calling for intervention is favoring worse.

How do you propose to get employers to pay much better wages and offer good working conditions? I don't see a way to force it that doesn't do more harm than good -- i.e., I don't see a way that isn't effectively favoring worse.

Take Cambodia. We could encourage Cambodia to pass minimum-wage legislation to protect its own workers. But then factories owned by international corporations would relocate from Cambodia to Mauritania. That wouldn't be good for Cambodians. (It would be good for Mauritanians, but only because it would give Mauritania its own set of sweatshops, so it doesn't solve the problem we're trying to solve.)

Or we could have the U.S. forbid importing goods assembled in factories that pay less than $5/hr or whatever. But then factories would relocate from Cambodia to Mexico, or maybe Ohio. That wouldn't be good for Cambodians, either. (If Americans want to benefit Ohioans at the expense of Cambodians, that's possibly a valid desire; but in that case let's not use concern for Cambodians' own good as a pretext.)

We could hope that Nike just voluntarily agrees to pay above-market wages to Cambodians. They can afford it, to an extent. But Nike has an unusually strong brand that allows it to make an above-average return on invested capital. Its own situation can't be generalized to all manufacturers with factories in Cambodia, many of which would end up having to close down if they tried to pay above-market wages. So that's not a robust strategy.

Also, when we're talking about companies voluntarily paying above-market wages, we're no longer in section (a) of the final paragraph of my previous post, but we're instead in section (c). Subsection (c) is great. I'm all for it, and I think Nike's shareholders should use some of their own dividends to make charitable donations to people in places like Cambodia. But that's really a separate conversation, and anyway I don't see why the burden of foreign aid should fall on Nike shareholders specifically rather than on U.S. taxpayers more generally.
I don't think you can force them to pay above sweatshop wages. In general, I'd just like to see it. 

This isn't just an abstract issue in theoretical economics.

When people pressure companies to stop doing business with sweatshops, there are real-world consequences, no less severe for being unintended.

Child labor is a problem illustrative of the quandary. I'm sure we all agree that child labor is unfortunate, and if we could wish it away, we would. But what happens when measures to reduce child labor end up increasing child prostitution instead? Is that better or worse?

From a 2006 article:

In the early 1990s, for example, the U.S. Congress considered legislation that would have imposed sanctions on corporations who benefit from child labor. The bill never got through Congress, but it did trigger enormous political pressure on such companies. One German company buckled under pressure from activists, and laid off 50,000 child garment workers in Bangladesh. The British charity group Oxfam later conducted a study on those 50,000 workers, and found that thousands of them later turned to prostitution, crime, or starved to death.

In 1995, anti-sweatshop activists persuaded Nike and Reebok to close down soccer-ball manufacturing plants in Pakistan to thwart planned protests during the 1998 World Cup. The closings laid off tens of thousands of Pakistanis. Additional activist-inspired closings laid off hundreds of thousands more. The UPI reports that the mean family income in Pakistan soon fell by more than 20 percent. In Tomas Larsson’s book "Race to the Top," University of Colorado economist Keith Maskus says the Pakistani child laborers who lost their jobs were later found begging, or getting bought and sold in international prostitution rings.

UNICEF reports that an international boycott of Nepal’s child-labor supported carpet industry in the 1990s forced thousands child laborers out of work. A large percentage of those child laborers were later found working in Nepal’s bustling sex trade.
There are no easy solutions. The universe is often uncooperative that way.

My plea is that we need to consider the likely consequences of any action we take. Sometimes the only realistic alternative to bad is worse. There are lives depending on our collective ability to be realistic about such situations.

What is your metric of “good” for these people?

What is your metric of “good” for these people?
I would say that something is good for someone if it tends to guide him, from his current position, in the direction towards flourishing and away from suffering, all things considered, rather than vice versa.

Nike can afford it. They just put profit over people and that is their right. I just dont want to hear people say they are leading the way in corporate morality. 

This $15 hour minimum wage is going to sink smaller businesses in America. At the same Nike continues to exploit child labor to remain a multi billion dollar company.
Maybe Nike can...but what happens when Reebok undercuts their prices by $5 a pair because they continue to exploit cheaper labor?  Will Americans pay significantly more for shoes than they have to just because they oppose sweatshops?

Sadly I doubt it.  Because if they would, they could already be making charitable contributions at those levels to repuatble relief agencies.

Here's another problem. At some point Cambodians say "hey prices are rising and I need a higher pay to maintain my buying power" Nike says " screw that we are moving to Mauritania". Rinse and repeat. There is always another desperate country full of desperate people ripe for exploitation. The Nike business model depends on that fact. But even now they and other manufacturers are running out of people to pay nothing. So automation is being brought in. So what Cambodia gets is short term exploitation without enough real money to reshape their economy to be ready for when the sweatshops go away. Then what? Did they really get better than bad or did we turn a blind eye while the can got kicked down the road? 

I think labor standards should absolutely be something we focus on in trade deals.  I'd much rather negotiate for that instead of IP rights and financial liberalization when we are getting lower tariffs.  I also don't morally have an issue with their existence in many countries.

Here's another problem. At some point Cambodians say "hey prices are rising and I need a higher pay to maintain my buying power" Nike says " screw that we are moving to Mauritania". Rinse and repeat.
Yes, that’s how it’s supposed to work. When sweatshops open in Cambodia, it will lift wages and the standard of living in Cambodia — this is a good thing — and then when wages are sufficiently high in Cambodia, it will be Mauritania’s turn sometime after that.

This is already happening as many Asian countries are starting to become much more economically affluent as they go through the cycle from agrarian to unskilled manufacturing to skilled manufacturing and more service-oriented industries ... and then sweatshop jobs become less attractive there and will move to other countries ready to progress through the same cycle. Ultimately, someday, it’d be nice if extreme poverty were eliminated everywhere and there'd be no more sweatshops. Until then, different countries will be at different stages in the progression.

Seems like the best thing to do would have some labeling which would certify the product was made with some minimum level of labor practices,

Probably not slavery as an institution. But definitely the mistreating of people. Justifying one mistreating another by claiming others are so much worse off they'd be improving their position to move up to swap with the people you're mistreating. 
Mistreatment is relative.  That may sound harsh, but it’s reality.  I don’t want to push a company to shut down a factory that improves general living conditions for its employees because they don’t offer overtime or an adequate sick leave policy.  That would be counter productive.

It doesn’t work that well in defending slavery now.  It worked pretty well then. 

White paternalism over people who would be worse off was one of the main arguments in favor of slavery. 

Joe Bryant said:

I think just about the only opinion in that article (not the facts, they are factual, the conclusions he draws) is the solution: promote jobs there. Try to make the workforce equal the availability of jobs and conditions will improve faster

jon_mx said:
Seems like the best thing to do would have some labeling which would certify the product was made with some minimum level of labor practices,
That would enable the consumer to vote with his/her money. Some would. Many would not for various reasons such as lack of economic freedom and unawareness (willful or not).

That would enable the consumer to vote with his/her money. Some would. Many would not for various reasons such as lack of economic freedom and unawareness (willful or not).
It would also guilty trip the major brands into action.    Right now it I see no evil hear no evil. 

It would also guilty trip the major brands into action.    Right now it I see no evil hear no evil. 
Probably. A few years ago a factory in Bangladesh went up and over a thousand workers perished. A number of brands got clothes sewn there, incl. some Damish brands. After the accident it was discovered that the doors and fire exits had been chained shut and only few keys existed and fewer were able to be used.

The whole thing was picked up by the media and some contrition was shown by the brands involved. IIRC some covenant for "ethical" production of garments was produced and some brands at least claimed to adopt it.

I'm not sure what the status is of this covenant, but the fact that we are still discussing sweat shops in the present tense would indicate that the uptake has been less than ideal.

IMHO shaming will have an effect but unlikely to be a game changer. Because we've been here before, shamed companies and then bought into the brand again after some act of public contrition, without questioning the effectiveness of the application.

Joe Bryant said:
I don’t think their lakes freeze over. 

I don't think anyone is saying they should be earning $15/hour in a country like Cambodia or Bangla Desh.  But conditions in some of these factories are really, really bad and work week is way too many hours. 

I find it hard to believe that the corporations couldn't pay a little more in wages, reduce the work day a little, and improve the working conditions a bit.  There has to be a happy medium between profits and not exploiting poor people.

I think it is a certain arrogance and a rationalization to justify this sweatshop situation.  I can’t speak for these workers, the totality of their wants and desires, but our involvement warps the market of what was a fishing/Agro culture in almost every respect.  I don’t know how you quantify happiness or contentment, but being connected with the earth and living a simpler life seems to grade out happier than taking people away from a naturalistic life and putting them inside of a factory to toil away.  But the market dictates that if 20 cents an hour changes the housing market and local food cost, you have to keep up with the joneses.  But on a net level, leaving the people stressed and less happy.  But we are giving them money! More than they could ever make in Cambodia!  

Well I’d guess, the “bonus” of giving African tribesmen Christianity was also a rationalization and justification.  The mere fact of giving them clothes, food.  

These people are “free” but are they really if our intrusion has totally skewed what the local financial ecosystem would be without Nike et al coming in.  

Now I say this with the caveat, I don’t know what the local opinion is of this, maybe they’re happy to chase a western, more material existence.  But the end result still seems to leave them unhappy at work even if the end result is advantageous 

Pretty glum recent report on sweatshops.

https://fashionista.com/2019/06/malaysian-garment-worker-labor-violations-transparentem

People selling their homes just to pay to work in the factories. 

Deductions in pay if they fail to meet production quotas or break machinery. 

Verbal abuse and the use of physical force by managers.

Unsanitary or overcrowded living conditions.

Withholding passports.

The Guardian reported that Nike basically pulled the standard line about not being responsible for subcontractor abuses when told about the situation.

F Nike.

I don't think anyone is saying they should be earning $15/hour in a country like Cambodia or Bangla Desh.  But conditions in some of these factories are really, really bad and work week is way too many hours. 

I find it hard to believe that the corporations couldn't pay a little more in wages, reduce the work day a little, and improve the working conditions a bit.  There has to be a happy medium between profits and not exploiting poor people.
Yes, there can be. But the principal tenet is "maximize shareholder value". with no qualifications. So you get exploitation built in.

Users who are viewing this thread