What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is your definition of racism? (1 Viewer)

Nobody has provided a definition...more anecdotal references than anything.

I think the entire racism conversation in this country is inefficient at best as a result of not having a working definition.  The lack of definition actually compounds the problem.

How about just the actual definition?

Racism

noun

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
:confused: What exactly are you looking for.  www.dictionary.com

It's not more complicated than that unless you are intentionally trying to make it more complicated :shrug:  

How about just the actual definition?

Racism

noun

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
Does Trip have you on ignore or something?

Nobody has provided a definition...more anecdotal references than anything.

I think the entire racism conversation in this country is inefficient at best as a result of not having a working definition.  The lack of definition actually compounds the problem.
:hifive:  

Sorry to interrupt but is this another one of those threads where a board  (almost) full of white folks tell POC how they should feel about their treatment in modern America?

Last edited by a moderator:
In practice, nearly everyone uses the terms "racism" and "prejudice" interchangeably.  Even people who push the "prejudice + power" definition tend to slide back to plain old "prejudice" as soon as it's convenient to do so.  This particular topic is my personal go-to example of a motte and bailey.
Not entirely sure I understand your point so -

Are you saying that most people are using  that a person may attribute other qualities to a person (or group) based only on knowledge of  skin color as proof of someone being a racist, but then once the person is labeled a "racists" are then attributing (or counting on others to attribute) other qualities such as hatred and/or bigotry and/or resentment and/or discrimination, etc to that "racist"?  

Or do you mean something else?

Look- in truth I really don’t care if we label what Donald Trump wrote on Sunday as racist, or bigoted, or ignorant, or hamburger. 

What I want is a society in which we all agree that what Trump wrote was wrong and worthy of condemnation. I am a believer in political correctness. 
This is probably closest to the truth as anything I’ve read in here.  If we get into details, his statement was probably bigoted, not racist.  But it’s still wrong.

This is probably closest to the truth as anything I’ve read in here.  If we get into details, his statement was probably bigoted, not racist.  But it’s still wrong.
Hence my thread about the definition of "racism"...term is thrown around, but most don't have a common understanding what it means.

Hence my thread about the definition of "racism"...term is thrown around, but most don't have a common understanding what it means.
I think people know what it means, it's just unfortunate that it's getting thrown around too much instead of words like ignorant, bigoted, or unaccepting.  

To paraphrase Potter Stewart: I know it when I see it. 

And I sure as hell see it in our President. 
What a load of horse ####. 

This is basically code for "I can play the race card whenever I want, and I don't have to give reasons why, because 'I know when I see it.'"  

What a load of horse ####. 

This is basically code for "I can play the race card whenever I want, and I don't have to give reasons why, because 'I know when I see it.'"  
Except that I don’t do that. I thought it was ridiculous for AOC to accuse Pelosi of racism. I find lots of charges of racism to be ridiculous. 

The definition is basically anytime you hurt a liberal/Democrat's feelings or disagree with them, you're racist. Pretty simple.

When you are parsing on defintions and not holding people accountable you have your priorities messed up. The guy came down the escalator and the first thing he did was call immigrants rapists and murders (narrator: They commit less crime than citizens)

You are more hurt by the pushback than crime. 

"You know, 'racist' is not a fixed term. It's not an identity, it's not a tattoo — it is describing what a person is doing in the moment, and people change from moment to moment."

urbanhack said:
"You know, 'racist' is not a fixed term. It's not an identity, it's not a tattoo — it is describing what a person is doing in the moment, and people change from moment to moment."
Someone's been listening to NPR  :D

Not gonna lie....I was going to post this same thing yesterday, but I got sidetracked :hifive:  

Users who are viewing this thread