What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Ties & Overtime Rules (1 Viewer)

In all seriousness, this is entertainment. I'm not into seasonal determinations other than for rankings for a shortened season. I like that. Some people find that unfair, I'm into weighting the end of the year and adjustments.

So I like OT in a condensed way of thinking about that. 

Eh, just to be clear, I think the OT's are maybe longer? Because a FG doesn't end it. Games used to end more quickly (I bet).
I don't think so, SID. The OTs were fifteen minutes long in duration until 2017, now they're ten minutes long.

That has to play a huge role in the increase in ties. 

But seriously though - nothing wrong with a tie.

Sometimes teams are evenly matched over 60 (or 70) minutes.  The score/result should reflect that.

I do think it is a player safety issue - given the stresses on the body over the course of a game.  Tired muscles lead to more injuries/aches/pains, etc.

I don't think so, SID. The OTs were fifteen minutes long in duration until 2017, now they're ten minutes long.

That has to play a huge role in the increase in ties. 
Well yes I understand that, but I mean that under the old rules one drive could end in a FG on the first drive. That could take 3 minutes. Under current rules, that’s followed by another drive, at least.

Well yes I understand that, but I mean that under the old rules one drive could end in a FG on the first drive. That could take 3 minutes. Under current rules, that’s followed by another drive, at least.
True. The field goal rule certainly adds to the increase in ties, without a doubt. Double that by decreasing the amount of time from fifteen to ten minutes and you've got a recipe for more ties. I think it's certainly to a large degree explainable by those two variables, no? 

Maybe I'm missing your point here.

I never liked the idea of an OT where both teams  aren’t guaranteed a possession. I’d rather the game just be a tie if it’s tied at the end of regulation. 

I would love to see OT just be a continuation of the game. No coin toss or kickoff. Play a 10 minute continuation of the fourth quarter. Give each team an extra time out. 

At the end of the day, it’s not that big of a deal to me though. Just don’t go to the college OT. I love college football, but the OT is terrible. Almost worse than the shootout in the NHL. 

I’m fine with ties. No need to lengthen the game even more when these guys are already fatigued for the day, greater chance of injury when that happens, the product is worse, etc.  can’t stand the old OT where the coin flip decided the winner, each team should get a possession, if it’s still tied so be it

Man In The Box said:
I never liked the idea of an OT where both teams  aren’t guaranteed a possession. 

I would love to see OT just be a continuation of the game. No coin toss or kickoff. Play a 10 minute continuation of the fourth quarter. Give each team an extra time out. 

Some snippage.......

But I agree with parts of the above.

I propose we do this.  At the end of regulation, we have another coin toss and it is handled exactly as the pre kickoff ritual.  Then both teams can proceed to their respective locker rooms for 15-20 minutes.  An acceptable "break" or "breather period" to let each team gather themselves and prepare for the coming extension.

We now have a 10:00 MINUTE GAME EXTENSION , similar to another quarter, but its realistically a small 10 minute "game" after the tie. Each team is given  only one lone timeout. 

Or,  you could basically not give either team any timeouts, and take away any they may have had at the end of the 4th. (I actually thought of this years ago. A 5 minute time allotment isn't enough, but 20 more minutes is just too much more. A 10 minute extension is about perfect.)

Note - eliminating any timeouts from there on, would help keep the pace and action fast, and force teams to "try and win" rather than just burn the clock slowly like we see all too often in the middle of games today.

Once the kickoff is determined, everything is played just like it is normally. Except the game doesn't end after a TD (or any other silliness), the entire 10 minute extension is played.

If after this 10 minute extension is played, there is STILL a tie, then the game isn't over. Its now finished similar to an old style sudden death..... basically, the first team to score NOW, in any fashion wins, GAME OVER.

Note - There would never be any ties. Any and all games would eventually end, for better or for worse. The games wouldn't last "all night", in fact the majority of them would be over after the 10 minute extra period or soon thereafter.

You guys are getting paid millions of dollars.  #### A TIE GAME..... DETERMINE A WINNER.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Man In The Box said:
I never liked the idea of an OT where both teams  aren’t guaranteed a possession. I’d rather the game just be a tie if it’s tied at the end of regulation. 

At the end of the day, it’s not that big of a deal to me though. Just don’t go to the college OT. I love college football, but the OT is terrible. Almost worse than the shootout in the NHL. 
Charles Barkley thinks this idea is turrible, just turrible.

It would take away all the drama and time management strategies of the end of regulation.  The clock becomes meaningless.  It simply gives an advantage to the team with the ball at the end of regulation rather than the randomness of a coin toss.  It does less to "guarantee" a possession than the current rules.

We've got a rule to not end the game on an initial field goal.  We've shortened it to ten minutes... which is great for player safety.  I accept it for what it is, a tie game.

Charles Barkley thinks this idea is turrible, just turrible.

It would take away all the drama and time management strategies of the end of regulation.  The clock becomes meaningless.  It simply gives an advantage to the team with the ball at the end of regulation rather than the randomness of a coin toss.  It does less to "guarantee" a possession than the current rules.

We've got a rule to not end the game on an initial field goal.  We've shortened it to ten minutes... which is great for player safety.  I accept it for what it is, a tie game.
I don’t necessarily agree. I think that a team will still try to win in regulation if there’s a minute left and the game is tied, because OT wouldn’t be sudden death. I do agree with your last paragraph (and as I said in my original post, it’s really not a huge issue for me). They have made the OT rules better than they were. 

Users who are viewing this thread