What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

you hear "X" on the call and immediately think "whoa, this is a big game" (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
all this Romo jibber jabber made me think, when you were a kid (or now) and you tuned in a sporting event, which announcers made you sit up and say "wow, this is going to be a big/important/must watch game".

not because you can't wait to hear the announcer but because that person or that announcing team brought a certain gravitas to the proceeding.

for me it's two teams:

Summerall and Madden - you dialed up a game and heard Summerall pipe in, the game somehow just felt more important. hie presence somehow elevated the contest. to me it always felt extra special when these two called a Packers game.

Max McGee and Jim Irwin - local Packers radio when i was a kid. we'd watch the game on tv with the volume off & listen to their radio call.  each game felt like some incredible happening. it was all tied together with the ritual of waking up to breakfast, smelling the coffee, going to church, coming home to play football in the yard with friends & then watching the local 30 minute news station's Packers pre-game before kickoff. the house doors would be open to let that sweet, cool fall air in... the sounds of the stadium getting loud enough to hear after a big play.   

all this Romo jibber jabber made me think, when you were a kid (or now) and you tuned in a sporting event, which announcers made you sit up and say "wow, this is going to be a big/important/must watch game".

not because you can't wait to hear the announcer but because that person or that announcing team brought a certain gravitas to the proceeding.

for me it's two teams:

Summerall and Madden - you dialed up a game and heard Summerall pipe in, the game somehow just felt more important. hie presence somehow elevated the contest. to me it always felt extra special when these two called a Packers game.

Max McGee and Jim Irwin - local Packers radio when i was a kid. we'd watch the game on tv with the volume off & listen to their radio call.  each game felt like some incredible happening. it was all tied together with the ritual of waking up to breakfast, smelling the coffee, going to church, coming home to play football in the yard with friends & then watching the local 30 minute news station's Packers pre-game before kickoff. the house doors would be open to let that sweet, cool fall air in... the sounds of the stadium getting loud enough to hear after a big play.   
You've got to be kidding me if you don't like Romo's "schtick" but weren't annoyed by Madden?  That is about as logical as the stories you tell about your wife.

You've got to be kidding me if you don't like Romo's "schtick" but weren't annoyed by Madden?  That is about as logical as the stories you tell about your wife.
Summerall. it's Summerall. and it's about the gravity he brought to the game.

the team together represented a big time game. Madden was great for a while but became a caricature later in his career.

Madden was peak NFL analyst for years. Romo couldn't carry his Raiders windbreaker.  

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s a few around today though the list is fleeting.  Al Michaels and Mike Emrick for sure.  

Growing up, Gifford, Cosell and Dandy Don was the big time.  Especially if you rooted for a team that didn’t crack MNF all that often.  Hell, getting a shout out on Cosell’s halftime highlights after a win was pretty sweet.

Before Madden became a caricature of himself, he truly was the best calling pro football. Too bad Dallas was good when he did. Too many memories of that stupid star in the backdrop from the booth.

Keith Jackson might be my favorite ever.

And how could I forget Mike Emrick?! What a gem he is for hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curt Gowdy and Chris Schenkel (sp, both?) were the two biggest of my childhood across about a zillion sports, along with the aforementioned Keith Jackson. Brent Musburger a little later on.

Summerall. it's Summerall. and it's about the gravity he brought to the game.

the team together represented a big time game. Madden was great for a while but became a caricature later in his career.

Madden was peak NFL analyst for years. Romo couldn't carry his Raiders windbreaker.  
Always thought Madden was extremely overrated.  He was probably great for people who didn't know anything about football, but he explained everything like you didn't know a lick about football.  That's probably why I appreciate Romo more, as he assumes some level of football knowledge which is refreshing and uncommon among color guys.

Users who are viewing this thread