What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

al Baghdadi is dead (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m lost in surreality. For a meaningful swath of the public, Trump taking credit, lashing out at Dems, and appearing at the World Series will erase all the sins. Watch, to an extent it will work, at least for a news cycle or two. Because Americans have lost the ability to discern truth from the reality show. It’s why Trump seized the opportunity to time the raid with ratings.  And he’s using that platform to divide from legitimate institutions that have a duty to check his power. And posters here are falling right in line.

Its like we simply don’t care anymore.
To be fair, it’s hard to care. Discerning reality from falsehood is really hard now.  Everything is a manipulatable set of pixels. 

I think it’s the kind of thing that would make Congress double down on any other investigations, but that ship has long sailed.  There really isn’t a political price to be paid by him at this point for just being a jerk to Congress. 
Agree, I think people are numb to it after all the time wasted on Russia and there probably isn’t a political price going forward. Not good in general but that’s where we are at. 

Agree, I think people are numb to it after all the time wasted on Russia and there probably isn’t a political price going forward. Not good in general but that’s where we are at. 
Not exactly what I said, but we ended up at the same place. I guess that’s good. 

I gotcha, I’ll take the glass half full on this news as opposed to your half empty and sounds like since we are both assuming it’s best just to see how it plays out. Great news so far. 
It's a full glass. I don't think there's a problem with acknowledging that Isis is still existing and that we are at war with them. It's a victory, not the victory.

It's a full glass. I don't think there's a problem with acknowledging that Isis is still existing and that we are at war with them. It's a victory, not the victory.
Do you ever think “the victory” exists? I don’t see a religious war ever going away unfortunately. 

In a perfect world or with a more say conventional leader we wouldn’t have these implications that the opposing party would leak military plans to the press, that’s not a good thing to be saying. Could have also done without his spiel about OBL and how he knew it was going to happen and that this guy is a bigger target, etc. 

Regardless a successful mission, glad this POS is dead. 

Do you ever think “the victory” exists? I don’t see a religious war ever going away unfortunately. 
Well we're still at war with Al Qaeda too. They exist. We found OBL hiding in the shadow of our ally there too and they fight on.

I don't know. When we got into this thing in 2001-03 we had to make a strategic decision whether to go full on war across the globe for as long as it took or continue the precision strike and response strategy that we had done in the 90s. From Bush Sr to Trump I don't envy the men who make the call. I know I criticize Trump all the time but like other presidents he carries the burden of those decisions and my hat is off to him for that. Good luck to us all on him making the right calls (as we did with other presidents).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we're still at war with Al Qaeda too. They exist. We found OBL hiding in the shadow of our ally there too and they fight on.

I don't know. When we got into this thing in 2001-03 we had to make a strategic decision whether to go full on war across the globe for as long as it took or continue the precision strike and response strategy that we had done in the 90s. From Bush Sr to Trump I don't envy the men who make the call. I know I criticize Trump all the time but like other presidents he carries the burden of those decisions and my hat is off to him for that. Good luck to us all on him making the right calls (as we did with other presidents).
Great post, it’s a mess man.....no easy answers but well said. 

Lindsey Graham just said that he was present in the WH situation room last night, but the third spot to being president, Nancy Pelosi knew nothing about this and wasn't even given a courtesy call. 

:(

An extremely bad man,  a force for evil in this world, is dead. It’s great news. Full stop. 
Exactly. 

Unfortunately, the usual suspects who are worried more about who does or who doesn't get credit are polluting this thread with their usual nonsense.  When you wonder in the next week or so why this subforum no longer exists, those are the people you can blame. :yes:  

Exactly. 

Unfortunately, the usual suspects who are worried more about who does or who doesn't get credit are polluting this thread with their usual nonsense.  When you wonder in the next week or so why this subforum no longer exists, those are the people you can blame. :yes:  
I won’t blame anyone. 

But let me say that, while I disagree with a few of the comments here, this thread is absolutely nothing like the thread that followed the death of Osama bin Laden. That was in the FFA, I wonder if it still exists. Not that I’d want to read it again. I remember it clearly, it was truly ugly. The Obama haters went from claiming it was a hoax, to arguing that Obama had nothing to do with it, to repeating a conspiracy theory that Obama tried to stop it. It was really awful, not like this at all. 

I won’t blame anyone. 

But let me say that, while I disagree with a few of the comments here, this thread is absolutely nothing like the thread that followed the death of Osama bin Laden. That was in the FFA, I wonder if it still exists. Not that I’d want to read it again. I remember it clearly, it was truly ugly. The Obama haters went from claiming it was a hoax, to arguing that Obama had nothing to do with it, to repeating a conspiracy theory that Obama tried to stop it. It was really awful, not like this at all. 
I have zero recollection of that thread, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just like you described.  

I gotcha, I’ll take the glass half full on this news as opposed to your half empty and sounds like since we are both assuming it’s best just to see how it plays out. Great news so far. 
I wasn’t trying to be half empty. A deal isn’t necessarily bad- depends on the value of the target, etc. 

We should try to be better than our president, and give him credit as CIC.

In 2012: “Stop congratulating Obama for killing Bin Laden. The Navy Seals killed Bin Laden. " 

It is possible to be supportive of what happened today, praise the mission, the planning and yes the President for a successful mission in killing this turd and at the same time you can be critical of the words he chose in describing leaks and attributing them to Dem leaders. That is the type of stuff that fuels division and is very dangerous and honestly should be shocking to everyone IMO.

What is the president implying with this?

This is just a discussion on that. It’s not an attempt at ruining the thread, praising a job well done, a successful mission that the president was a part of, etc.

It can be discussed in a reasonable way without people getting angry, right?

People need to have standards, a code. Pelosi should have been informed. To support her not being under a baseless assumption troops would have died is unpatriotic. It just is.

Edit: By inviting Graham, the President has politicized Special Forces raids.
It's a good thing that Pelosi wasn't informed.  She has no business being in her position and I wouldn't trust her keeping her mouth shut.

It's a good thing that Pelosi wasn't informed.  She has no business being in her position and I wouldn't trust her keeping her mouth shut.
Using that logic, we can then say that Trump should never be informed of anything since he has no business being in his position, right?  And we know he can't keep his mouth shut. 

Using that logic, we can then say that Trump should never be informed of anything since he has no business being in his position, right?  And we know he can't keep his mouth shut. 
The President makes those kinds of decisions, so he's a hell of lot more invested than Nancy Pelosi.

Geebus.

Can you point to one single thing she has ever done in her entire legislative career that would indicate that she would leak intelligence?

Geebus.

Can you point to one single thing she has ever done in her entire legislative career that would indicate that she would leak intelligence?
Her hatred for Trump is too risky to chance American lives.  Besides, the way she is conducting business and treating Trump,  she should be left out in the cold on most things. 

This is a very dangerous and bad thing for the president to say. Awful.
:goodposting:

Trump has a chance to try and bridge the divide here - instead he can't resist a partisan jab or two (down-playing the Bin Laden raid).

Just be happy you got a bad guy, and the world is a little safer today than it was yesterday.

Its difficult to comprehend - given my low opinion of the president already - but my opinion might have gotten lower with his remarks.

I always thought the fewer people know about a mission the better chance of success.  Only those that have to know should know.
And you leave it at that.

The President shouldn’t imply the person 3rd in line is some type of traitor to our nation. 

It’s dangerous, anti-American, gross stuff.

Even if he believes this be a leader, shut your mouth for just a few moments. Enjoy the job that was just accomplished.

And you leave it at that.

The President shouldn’t imply the person 3rd in line is some type of traitor to our nation. 

It’s dangerous, anti-American, gross stuff.

Even if he believes this be a leader, shut your mouth for just a few moments. Enjoy the job that was just accomplished.
I do enjoy what just happened, very much so.  I just don't see the need to inform Nancy Pelosi, especially the way she's treating the POTUS.  I don't see any advantage in notifying Nancy Pelosi on military matters.

the way she is conducting business and treating Trump,  she should be left out in the cold on most things.
I honestly don’t even know what the process is hear, if the speaker is let in on this things.

He injected this into the conversation by saying something either very dumb (and dangerous IMO) because he is impulsive and doesn’t understand the implications in the moment or purposefully injecting this into the conversation for political reasons. 

I think it’s the former but who knows.

Both would be bad and worthy of criticism and discussion. 

I do enjoy what just happened, very much so.  I just don't see the need to inform Nancy Pelosi, especially the way she's treating the POTUS.  I don't see any advantage in notifying Nancy Pelosi on military matters.
Yeah I’m not sure what the normal protocol is here. What I do know is that the President shouldn’t imply that telling the Speaker this type of thing would mean it will be leaked to the press. 

Yeah I’m not sure what the normal protocol is here. What I do know is that the President shouldn’t imply that telling the Speaker this type of thing would mean it will be leaked to the press. 
Why take a chance?  I believe it's more about her agenda and to needle her because of it.  Childish?  Yes, probably, but if I were the POTUS and was treated the way she is treating Trump, I would only tell her what I absolutely had to tell her.  This isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread