What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Snow is drifted over my car (1 Viewer)

Location?

Big storm coming to the Twin Cities.  Always curious if it is the weather terrorists whipping up a frenzy or if the predictions are true.

Thoprawishes.

Location?

Big storm coming to the Twin Cities.  Always curious if it is the weather terrorists whipping up a frenzy or if the predictions are true.

Thoprawishes.
I am south of Denver just a bit.  At 6700 feet of altitude.  The snow here is light and powdery, not like November snow in the Twin Cities.  Easy shoveling but it does blow and drift.  Sort of like a January blizzard in the Twin Cities.

I am south of Denver just a bit.  At 6700 feet of altitude.  The snow here is light and powdery, not like November snow in the Twin Cities.  Easy shoveling but it does blow and drift.  Sort of like a January blizzard in the Twin Cities.
Looked at the map.  It appears it is the same system they are predicting to hit here.  They are saying it will be light fluffy snow, but I find that hard to believe unless the temperature drops big time before it hits.

ah, no big deal. it will be 73 tomorrow and 90 on Thursday. 

or course it will be 43 on Friday and 13 on Saturday but the 60s are right around the corner next week.

ah, no big deal. it will be 73 tomorrow and 90 on Thursday. 

or course it will be 43 on Friday and 13 on Saturday but the 60s are right around the corner next week.
Indeed.  We always get relief from winter down here.  Not like the Twin Cities where once it sets in , it is set in for months. Here, after most storms we get several days of sunny, mild, even pleasant weather all winter long.

Still snowing.  My wife tells me we have a foot of snow across the driveway already.  It has been three hours since I shoveled.  I'm guessing no more than another 3 inches of snow but damn, those drifts.  The wind direction is perfect right now for drifting over my driveway.  It will be good exercise when I get home to clear it again.

This thread is useless without pics. LOL

I'm in Western WI and it's coming our way so I should have a similar look tomorrow.

BTW, I have a 2 1/2 car garage and we can't fit any vehicles in it due to other stuff so I feel your pain.

Louisiana guy, living in a place where all highways close at the first sign of a single flurry:

Just how long does it take to shovel an ENTIRE driveway? Or to clear 2 feet of snow off a car? I know people telecommute these days a lot more ... but in the past, like the 1970s-80s, were people just coming into work three hours late all the time during a snowy winter?

Louisiana guy, living in a place where all highways close at the first sign of a single flurry:

Just how long does it take to shovel an ENTIRE driveway? Or to clear 2 feet of snow off a car? I know people telecommute these days a lot more ... but in the past, like the 1970s-80s, were people just coming into work three hours late all the time during a snowy winter?
Really depends on the size of the driveway and if you have a snowblower, and if it is heavy wet snow, or light dry snow.

People still come in late on snow days for a myriad of reasons.  Sometimes kids' busses are running late, so they can't leave.  Sometimes just clearing the driveway take a while.  If it is snowing in the morning, the roads are a mess, and more people leaving later means more people on the roads at the same time.

My work has offices all over.  It drives me nuts with there is a threat of snow in Charlotte, so they are closed all day.  Meanwhile, we'll have a foot coming our way and our managers just tell is to "drive safe" on our way in in the morning.

Really depends on the size of the driveway and if you have a snowblower, and if it is heavy wet snow, or light dry snow.
I think this distinction is what's kind of lost on me. I've heard of "wet snow" and "dry snow", but don't really grok just quite how it affects shoveling. I guess if it's dry enough, you really can just blow it away.

I always imagined shoveling snow off of a driveway to me much like shoveling an equal volume of sand or mud. But if the snow were that heavy ... Northerners wouldn't be going out real quick to clear their driveway before work. They'd be out there all day, and would probably need heavier equipment than a fat shovel.

Meanwhile, we'll have a foot coming our way and our managers just tell is to "drive safe" on our way in in the morning.
People here can't do ice on the road. Thankfully, it happens pretty rarely. But when it does happen ... everyone just tries driving like normal and wonders why they're sliding all over the place, unable to tailgate and stop short, etc.

Feel your pain DW--we got our daughter home from college in Greeley yesterday right before the storm hit here in Colorado Springs. Her car is in the warm confines of the garage and my car is outside, with probably 6-8 inches around it. The wind is just starting to pick up, so I imagine that total will change quickly. 

I think this distinction is what's kind of lost on me. I've heard of "wet snow" and "dry snow", but don't really grok just quite how it affects shoveling. I guess if it's dry enough, you really can just blow it away.

I always imagined shoveling snow off of a driveway to me much like shoveling an equal volume of sand or mud. But if the snow were that heavy ... Northerners wouldn't be going out real quick to clear their driveway before work. They'd be out there all day, and would probably need heavier equipment than a fat shovel.
Big difference between the wet snow and the dry fluffy stuff.  Think of 1 cubic foot of sand/mud vs 1 cubic foot of leaves.  You can sometimes just push or sweep the light fluffy stuff.  You have to lift and throw the wet stuff.  Shoveling the wet stuff is a workout and people die from heart attacks shoveling every year.  My driveway isn't quite big enough to justify a snow blower, but it would be really nice a couple of times a year.

The wet snow makes better snowballs and snowmen though.  :D  

The first couple of snows I'm usually right out there getting everything cleaned off.  Later in the season I'm more, "meh, I can drive over it with the Jeep."

Last edited by a moderator:
Working from home today because of the forecast.  Supposed to start snowing around noon.  I have the rest of the week off.

People here can't do ice on the road. Thankfully, it happens pretty rarely. But when it does happen ... everyone just tries driving like normal and wonders why they're sliding all over the place, unable to tailgate and stop short, etc.
And to be fair, the roads are not designed for freezing temps. Northern roads use cloverleafs to keep the concrete on the ground to take advantage of ground warmth.

Southern roads in cities have a lot of elevated ramps that are surrounded by air so freeze quickly. Some of the major highway interchanges in Houston are like  a toboggan run in winter. I have sat watching cars just slide down them scraping off the barriers no matter how slow they went.

I used to laugh at drivers here in winter. But after a long drive to the airport during a freeze, I realized just how bad the highways here were suited for it.

(Edit to add, 77 right now) ;)

well, typically employers don't give a single #### about how you get it done... you're expected to be on time.

if you don't have a snowblower & need to manually shovel 2 feet of snow off your car... pretty good chance you've got a near equivalent amount on the driveway.. you're looking at 3-4 hours depending on the size of your driveway & if you're doing it solo.

a big snowblower would chew through it much more quickly. maybe 45 minutes - 1 hour?

we got a huge snowfall to start the season last year. over a foot. plows buried my 2-stall width driveway. snowblower could not handle it because of the ice chunks. finally a bolt stripped, rendering the blower worthless. took me about 2 hours just to clear a single lane out of the driveway so that i could drive to Home Depot (other options were closed because of weather) in search of a new shear bolt. they didn't have any.

i spent..... 4+ hours clearing all the snow by hand. it was so heavy, wet and deep that i had to take numerous breaks.

regarding getting to work on time, you just have to get up earlier. i've heard people plowing at 2 AM. usually if we get a bad one i can get up around 5, clear the snow, get cleaned up and to work for 8.

Part of me misses snow around Christmas, but I always hated shoveling it. That, plus the fact that skies in Michigan are gray from October to April, and I moved to Florida. I'd rather stare down hurricanes than winter, because sometimes the hurricane flinches. Winter doesn't flinch.

I do remember my dad sending me out to shovel while it was still snowing, only to have to do it again once it stopped. I argued that it's a wasted effort to shovel twice, just do it when it's done, but I lost that argument. After I moved to Florida, he got a snowblower, but eventually he and my mom moved to Florida as well.

Wisconsin born boys like me just deal with it.  I am essential personnel so I come in no mater what.  currently my driveway is pretty short, maybe 35 feet by 30 feet.  took me a half hour or so this morning to clear it. as a kid our driveway was several hundred yards long.  By hand it took hours to clear with us three boys working hard.  If the adults had pity on us Grandpa might put a plow on one of the tractors and clear it but they mostly liked to see us spend some of our youthful energy outside doing something productive as opposed to destructive, so that was few and far between.

Still coming down. Two feet and counting.

well, typically employers don't give a single #### about how you get it done... you're expected to be on time.

if you don't have a snowblower & need to manually shovel 2 feet of snow off your car... pretty good chance you've got a near equivalent amount on the driveway.. you're looking at 3-4 hours depending on the size of your driveway & if you're doing it solo.

a big snowblower would chew through it much more quickly. maybe 45 minutes - 1 hour?

we got a huge snowfall to start the season last year. over a foot. plows buried my 2-stall width driveway. snowblower could not handle it because of the ice chunks. finally a bolt stripped, rendering the blower worthless. took me about 2 hours just to clear a single lane out of the driveway so that i could drive to Home Depot (other options were closed because of weather) in search of a new shear bolt. they didn't have any.

i spent..... 4+ hours clearing all the snow by hand. it was so heavy, wet and deep that i had to take numerous breaks.

regarding getting to work on time, you just have to get up earlier. i've heard people plowing at 2 AM. usually if we get a bad one i can get up around 5, clear the snow, get cleaned up and to work for 8.
Trying to break it up and shovel as it comes down makes a huge difference if you have to do it by hand. Awfully tough if it’s snowing overnight though.

Wet snow is around 10 times heavier than dry powdery snow.  Growing up in Wisconsin it was often wet and heavy.  Here in Colorado almost never wet and heavy.

Woke to maybe 16 to 18 inches of fresh powder.  The wind has whipped it into drifts.  My sedan is completely covered.  My truck, well it is up to th edoor handles.  I passed up my morning ride and run and spent the calories shoveling.

It sure is pretty.
Better you than me.   It is 61 and not a cloud in the sky in Pittsburgh  :thumbup:

Feel your pain DW--we got our daughter home from college in Greeley yesterday right before the storm hit here in Colorado Springs. Her car is in the warm confines of the garage and my car is outside, with probably 6-8 inches around it. The wind is just starting to pick up, so I imagine that total will change quickly. 
You are a good Dad.  Good Dads do not let their wives and daughters cars get cold and buried, that is our small burden to deal with.

I heard it was not suppose to get over Monument hill, but this event seems to want to defy forecasting, a bit.

She goes to UNC?

Snowblowers take up quite a bit of garage space, shovels, not so much.  There are times when I am tempted but I am still capable, if barely so, of clearing what needs to get cleared.  A remnant of my upbringing I suppose.  as a kid I hated shoveling, now, it is quite, and often quite pretty, almost like therapy for me.

Teri needed a ride this morning.  We like Teri.  Teri had a breast reduction and they are still DD's on an otherwise willowy frame.  Will be taking her home as well.

Navin Johnson said:
Ditkaless Wonders said:
It sure is pretty.
You'll get over that pretty quick.
The "snow is pretty!" thing is big around here. It snowed in New Orleans 0.5" on Christmas Day 2004 and maybe a little less than that on December 11, 2008. Not quite enough snow to totally cover a front lawn ... could still see sprigs of green sticking out. But enough snow for people to "hand shovel" enough snow off their grass & cars to make foot-high snowmen :D

But anyway, yeah, locals love reminiscing about that Christmas 2004 snowfall. That one was the only time I can remember seeing a good number of flakes coming down all at once like we see in the movies. Usually, when we get snow (the rare times that we do), it's kind of "fakey" snow ... closer to sleet or BB-sized "mini-hail".

Bull Dozier said:
What about all the leaves I never got around to raking?

Oh well, crappy yard again next year I guess.
Best thing you can do for your lawn is to leave the leaves un-raked to decompose naturally. Nobody does it because it looks like #### though.

WDIK2 said:
Big difference between the wet snow and the dry fluffy stuff.  Think of 1 cubic foot of sand/mud vs 1 cubic foot of leaves.  You can sometimes just push or sweep the light fluffy stuff.  You have to lift and throw the wet stuff.  Shoveling the wet stuff is a workout and people die from heart attacks shoveling every year.  My driveway isn't quite big enough to justify a snow blower, but it would be really nice a couple of times a year.

The wet snow makes better snowballs and snowmen though.  :D  

The first couple of snows I'm usually right out there getting everything cleaned off.  Later in the season I'm more, "meh, I can drive over it with the Jeep."
Ya, dry snow is almost like that decorative snow you put in display cases.  You can move it around just by blowing on it.  Your shovel is heavier than the snow itself when shoveling.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Snowblowers take up quite a bit of garage space, shovels, not so much.  There are times when I am tempted but I am still capable, if barely so, of clearing what needs to get cleared.  I remnant of my upbringing I suppose.  as a kid I hated shoveling, now, it is quite, and often quite pretty, almost like therapy for me.
You, sir, are a masochist.  This is the first winter I have a working snowblower and I'm almost excited to use it.  Almost, but not really.  It will be better than shoveling (though I have a longer than average driveway, and half of it is a 45 degree slope, so it is a pain in the butt).

Ya, dry snow is almost like that decorative snow you put in display cases.  You can move it around just by blowing on it.  Your shovel is heavier than the snow itself when shoveling.

You, sir, are a masochist.  This is the first winter I have a working snowblower and I'm almost excited to use it.  Almost, but not really.  It will be better than shoveling (though I have a longer than average driveway, and half of it is a 45 degree slope, so it is a pain in the butt).
I have owned a snow blower.  When one owns a snow blower one's wife feels you should clear the driveway of that nice older couple down the block, and also for that single mother across the street even though she is suspicious you may harbor desires in that regard. It does not lessen your work as it increases your obligation to your fellow man.  you become a neighborhood resource. Like having a pick up truck makes you a target for requests to help move stuff.  Same deal. 

Well gents, I am woefully low on alcohol--so time to go dig out the car and brave the elements. Of course, I am going to store purely under the guise that the kids want homemade chocolate chip cookies and milk and I don't want to disappoint them.  :D

I have owned a snow blower.  When one owns a snow blower one's wife feels you should clear the driveway of that nice older couple down the block, and also for that single mother across the street even though she is suspicious you may harbor desires in that regard. It does not lessen your work as it increases your obligation to your fellow man.  you become a neighborhood resource. Like having a pick up truck makes you a target for requests to help move stuff.  Same deal. 
Maybe true in places where snow is less than a burden.  Around here, when I'm in my driveway shoveling, I am listening to the dozen snowblowers all around me.  Even the old retired couple across the street has one.  The old guy comes out, does his driveway, and is back inside before I feel like I've even made a dent.

Growing up, the guy across the street actually had a tractor, and he would do the driveways of those in my immediate vacinity in no time at all.  Not a full size farm tractor, but not a little John Deere yard tractor either.  One swipe down the driveway did it, and you just had to shovel the piles off the side if you wanted it a full two cars wide.  So nice.

Yep. I got my dad a snow blower a few years ago and he clears off a bunch of neighbors' driveways. But I think he really enjoys it, plus they only get enough snow to need it once or twice a year (TN). But yeah, we thought it would reduce his work and it definitely did not.

I live in a small town. I used to live in the country in the same area. When in the country if you had a big snowfall even if you cleared your driveway it might be 2 or 3 days before your road got plowed. That part is easier now. I have a snowblower and I live in town and am close to the main highway so I no longer have an excuse of being snowed in.

Users who are viewing this thread