What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Laviska Shenault Jr. - SEA (1 Viewer)

Is 10 touches a reasonable expectation tonight with no Chark? Considering him over Tyler Boyd. 

I say 10 is just about right! If anything, I’ll take the over 

I think 10 touches is very reasonable, as is starting him over Boyd. I'm going Shenault over Hilton and Slayton. I think the Jags score 30+ tonight.
I think he has lucky 13 touches and two targets he doesn't catch making it an "even" 15.

I was already starting him as my third WR and this only further excites me for tonight's opportunity. 

ETA: Just realized that Xavien Howard was going to be covering Chark before, but now who does he cover? I'm guessing Shenault... which, uh... I don't know what to do now because that, uh... ain't good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was already starting him as my third WR and this only further excites me for tonight's opportunity. 

ETA: Just realized that Xavien Howard was going to be covering Chark before, but now who does he cover? I'm guessing Shenault... which, uh... I don't know what to do now because that, uh... ain't good. 
Howard is playing but has a knee injury

Howard doesn't go into the slot often though, so its more likely to me that he's on Cole, or even Conley. 

I'm guessing Shenault mostly sees fellow rookie Noah Igbinoghene.

Howard doesn't go into the slot often though, so its more likely to me that he's on Cole, or even Conley. 

I'm guessing Shenault mostly sees fellow rookie Noah Igbinoghene.
This is probably right. Noah is coming off a really bad game where he got smoked by Diggs all afternoon. 

Laviska Shenault caught 5-of-6 targets for 33 yards in the Jaguars' Week 3 loss to the Dolphins, adding a one-yard rush. 

Week 3's most tweeted about fantasy darling, Shenault instead saw his rushing usage dialed back. He wasn't put in position to make any big plays as a pass catcher, and was barely heard from in the second half as the Jags played from behind. The positive takeaway is that the receptions were a new season high, while Shenault has now reached at least five touches in all three of his NFL appearances. The Bengals are a mouthwatering Week 4 matchup. 

Sep 24, 2020, 11:54 PM ET

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

Laviska Shenault only carried the ball once tonight after rushing 7 times for 47 yards in Weeks 1-2. Not sure why they've declined to use him more. That's one of the larger surprises tonight. Playing time dropped in the 2nd half.

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

Laviska Shenault only carried the ball once tonight after rushing 7 times for 47 yards in Weeks 1-2. Not sure why they've declined to use him more. That's one of the larger surprises tonight. Playing time dropped in the 2nd half.
Robinson looked good and they were playing from behind all night. I wasn't deterred by his performance last night. 

mildly disappointed in his production in what seemed a juicy matchup, but still on the bus. Obviously a big part of their weekly plans.

Very weird gameplan. At half, he was sitting at 4 catches already and ended with 5... in a blowout where they trailed all night. 

I mean... I don't even know what to make of that. 

Bad coaching is all I can come up with. 

Very weird gameplan. At half, he was sitting at 4 catches already and ended with 5... in a blowout where they trailed all night. 

at least on two plays Shenault was running free and Minshew either didn't see him or decided not to throw it. This latter was true a few times regardless of who the open receiver was, you can see a receiver open and Minshew looks in the direction, but opted to look for a different receiver or took off running. His play was terrible last night, so I'd chalk it up to that for last night's game. I mean, it was that obvious even without looking back and highlights.

You can add bad QB'ing to this as well.  Get him while you can, because when they draft Justin Fields he's gonna skyrocket.

They were using Shenault for short throws in the first half, most of his routes were 5 yards. In the second half they decided to constantly try downfield, bad idea btw. Shenault is ill-suited for trying to get open and catch a pass 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage.

Jaguars WR Laviska Shenault was limited at Friday's practice but is expected to play Week 4 against the Bengals. 

The rookie's injury wasn't specified. It looks like he'll be a go in what could be a high-scoring contest with the Bengals this week. Shenault remains a flex option without much of a ceiling as the Jaguars spread out targets among their wideouts. 

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter 

Oct 2, 2020, 1:48 PM ET

Laviska Shenault caught 5-of-6 targets for 86 yards in Week 4 against the Bengals.

Shenault's targets and yards were behind only D.J. Chark. He wasn't featured in the run game this week, getting just one carry for five yards. Shenault took a hard hit late in the game but was never announced with an injury. The second-round rookie has been a staple of the Jacksonville offense and continues to distance himself from Keelan Cole and Chris Conley. Shenault is a low-end flex for Week 5 against the Texans.
Was anyone able to see this game to see how he looked?  Gotta like the stat line as well as next week's matchup.

Christian Karayannides

⁦‪@CKarayannides⁩

116 touch-pace for Shenault.

Probably eclipses it.

Team needs to narrow the focus of this offense to it’s best play makers:

Chark
Robinson
Shenault

10/5/20, 11:05 AM

Was anyone able to see this game to see how he looked?  Gotta like the stat line as well as next week's matchup.
One thing I've noticed, at least the last 2 games, is for whatever reason all of his production has come in the 1st half. I don't know why that is, perhaps because they have fallen behind each of the last 2 games, but in theory, that should only help him. The Jags make their offense worse every snap that Conley takes over Shenault(and probably being active over Westbrook too) so its possible Shenault's workload only improves as the season goes on, as they figure that out.

travdogg said:
One thing I've noticed, at least the last 2 games, is for whatever reason all of his production has come in the 1st half. I don't know why that is, perhaps because they have fallen behind each of the last 2 games, but in theory, that should only help him. The Jags make their offense worse every snap that Conley takes over Shenault(and probably being active over Westbrook too) so its possible Shenault's workload only improves as the season goes on, as they figure that out.
Here's why he disappeared in the 2nd half this week...hamstring injury.  No confirmation, but likely to miss some time

https://www.jaguars.com/news/what-we-learned-bengals-33-jaguars-25

The Jaguars are beat up – like really beat up. Jack and Henderson left with ankle and shoulder issues. Left tackle Cam Robinson left with a knee injury and cornerback D.J. Hayden and wide receiver Laviska Shenault Jr. both left with hamstring injuries. Those absences weren't why the Jaguars lost. They sure didn't help.

NFL Rookie Rankings: 10 highest-graded rookies through Week 4

Excerpt:

7. WR LAVISKA SHENAULT JR., JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Shenault made a modest impact for the Jaguars’ offense in his first three games but stepped up his game in the Week 4 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. Shenault posted an 84.1 PFF grade for the game, generating three gains of 15-plus yards on his six targets.

In addition to those three big plays, Shenault also showed off his balance with a couple of broken tackles. After this solid Week 4 performance, Shenault now has a 77.0 receiving grade for the year, 18th among qualifying wideouts.

Laviska Shenault Jr. (WR, JAX) - Week 5 Waiver Wire Pickups

BALLER MOVE: Add in 14+ Team PPR Leagues

ROSTERED: 24% of Leagues

ANALYSIS: A second-round draftee, the rookie Laviska Shenault Jr. is turning into one of the most reliable receivers out there this season. Although he's third in snaps played for the Jaguars, Shenault is just three shy of DJ Chark Jr.'s mark (159) for the second place in Jacksonville's offense, and Shenault has been targeted the second-most times (20) among the team receivers.

In four games, Shenault is averaging 11.6 PPR points per game with a super-low standard deviation of just 2.4 fantasy points. His lower score was of 8.4 in Week 3, and his highest of 14.1 this past weekend when he posted season-high marks in yards (86) and receptions (5 on 6 targets). Shenault also has rushing prowess and although he's only been used in the running game in a few plays so far, he already has 9 rushing attempts on the year for 53 combined yards on the ground.

QB Gardner Minshew is not the flashiest or best of fantasy quarterbacks, but he's good enough to keep feeding Laviska and giving him enough chances to keep up his average points per game. Shenault is the WR45 in PPR leagues through W4 and a very reliable FLEX play with a very solid floor of around 10 PPR points and upside to reach 20 if he lucks into scoring a touchdown.

John Shipley

⁦‪@_John_Shipley⁩

#Jaguars HC Doug Marrone said Laviska Shenault is dealing with a hamstring injury. He won't have an update on the severity of the multiple injuries until later.

10/4/20, 3:31 PM

John Shipley @_John_Shipley

#Jaguars WR duo of the future had a good display in Week 4.

DJ Chark and Laviska Shenault combined for 13 catches on 15 targets for 181 yards (13.92 yards per catch, 12.06 per target) and two touchdowns. 

Shenault had 2.32 yards per *snap* 🤭
https://twitter.com/_john_shipley/status/1313548913715089408?s=21

John Shipley @_John_Shipley

Receiving yards*, bc he had a five yard rush lollll. 

2.46 yards per snap. He's good at football imo
https://twitter.com/_john_shipley/status/1313549178782523392?s=21

Laviska Shenault (hamstring) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

It's a new injury for Shenault. It's possible this is why he wasn't on the field in the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss. The limited practice suggests Shenault should play in Week 5

Mia O'Brien

⁦‪@MiaOBrienTV⁩

#Jaguars OC Jay Gruden asked about Laviska Shenault’s growth:

“A lot. And I think we’re gonna see a lot more”

Says we still haven’t seen Shenault at full strength. “Just scratching the surface”

10/7/20, 10:01 AM

Jaguars' Laviska Shenault: Ready for Week 5

(5 mins ago) Shenault (hamstring) won't carry an injury designation into Sunday's game against the Texans.

The 22-year-old began the week as a limited practice participant but showed enough to avoid the questionable tag for Week 5. Shenault caught five passes for a career-high 86 yards last week against the Bengals and gets a prime matchup against a suspect Houston defense on Sunday.

Laviska Shenault caught 7-of-8 targets for 79 yards in Week 5 against the Texans.

Shenault led Jacksonville in targets but was held out of the end-zone for the fourth straight week. His role continues to grow as the No. 2 option behind D.J. Chark, and he now has at least 70 total yards in three of the last four games. With Chark leaving with an ankle injury in the fourth quarter, Shenault could be in line for a big Week 6 role.

- Rotoworld

I would disagree with Rotoworld, Chark being out hurts Shenault(really the entire offense) in my opinion. He needs that guy opening up the short/intermediate areas for him. The Miami game was proof of that, and so was the 4th quarter of today's game.

He looks better every week and they are leaning on him to move the team more. 8 targets this week, his most yet and he ends up just short of about 15 in PPR. 4th time in double digits, involved a lot in the offense, hopefully Chark gets back soon to assist with the heavy lifting. 

It was him or Higgins in my Flex this week, went went with LSJ in case AJ Brown is a no go or slow coming back from injury. 

The schedule is soft next 3 weeks with a bye mixed in, after that it's rough waters ahead. 

Laviska Shenault (hamstring) is not practicing Wednesday.

Shenault has battled a hammy issue for a couple weeks now but played through it in Week 5, reeling in 7-of-8 targets for 79 yards. He led the team in targets against the Texans. With D.J. Chark (ankle) looking more doubtful for Week 6, Shenault could be in line for a bigger role, assuming he gets the green light.

Oct 14, 2020, 2:27 PM ET

13, 10, 8, 14, 14...not.a lot of explosion but he is becoming very reliable as a Flex or Bye week fill in and almost assuredly is going to get better. He played thru it last week, the worry is he starts and then has to sit before Half and doesn't come back. But B2B solid productive weeks in PPR. 

Users who are viewing this thread