What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we stop pretending the circle game is racism? (1 Viewer)

When we punch people (friends and family only, of course) for the "punch buggie no punch backs", should we only be using the old style VW beetles or include the newer styles?
Newer styles also included.  Only ever called it "slug bug".  And if you see an old VW bus/van, you get to do the "VAN SLAM!".  Usually a much worse beating than slug bug.

I knew about the game but not the rascist slant of the ok gesture.

Wtf is wrong with this world.
Agreed. Basically a horde of Nazi/alt-righters in the 4chan cesspool hijacked a perfectly good symbol for their ilk to “secretly” use as a white power symbol. Now you see those people flashing it in photos all over the place. At the very least though, they out themselves publicly which is nice I guess.

I wonder if minority recruitment is hurt by this kind of stuff.  

If someone in the area let out some flatulence they had to say "safety" before someone in the area said "doorknob".  If the safety occurred first then nothing.....go about normal business.  However if the "doorknob" was said first anybody around could punch the flatulence maker until they touched a doorknob.  

There were some other amendments for situations such as bus rides to a game (didn't want to harm a guy on the way to a game that could cause us to lose) to postpone the punishment.....bus ride home was fair game.
Yeah that's similar, I don't remember if we actually said the words. But he was running for a doorknob on our dorm lounge door. I cut him off, he tried to side step and I attempted a tackle and...... Crash right through the big window....

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Basically a horde of Nazi/alt-righters in the 4chan cesspool hijacked a perfectly good symbol for their ilk to “secretly” use as a white power symbol. Now you see those people flashing it in photos all over the place. At the very least though, they out themselves publicly which is nice I guess.

Does it hurt being this confused about what happened?

Nobody hijacked anything.

It was the circle game.  Period.  From the start, in the middle, at the end.  Plain ### obvious to anyone with a clue or bothering to care.

Does it hurt being this confused about what happened?
I played this game all through middle school. The fact of t he matter is, they were throwing signs. If they were indeed playing the game, it’s below the waist. Plus, the guys who looked at the circle would have gotten punched. 

You should look it up.  It's been around since the 80's.  And it was so popular that 4chan decided to start a rumor that it was a white supremacy sign.   
They did and some Right wingers started using it to troll people but also some White Supremacy people have started hijacking it and giving it meaning. The New Zealand Mass Shooter flashed it in court

Per the Anti Defamation league 

Ironically, some white supremacists themselves soon also participated in such trolling tactics, lending an actual credence to those who labeled the trolling gesture as racist in nature. By 2019, at least some white supremacists seem to have abandoned the ironic or satiric intent behind the original trolling campaign and used the symbol as a sincere expression of white supremacy, such as when Australian white supremacist Brenton Tarrant flashed the symbol during a March 2019 courtroom appearance soon after his arrest for allegedly murdering 50 people in a shooting spree at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Again them

Other, similar-seeming hand gestures have also been mistakenly assumed to have white supremacist connotations as a result of the “okay” hoax. One of these is the so-called “Circle Game,” in which people attempt to trick each other into looking at an okay-like hand gesture made somewhere below the waist. Another is the hand sign of the Three Percenter movement, a wing of the anti-government extremist militia movement. Three Percenters, who are right-wing extremists but are not typically white supremacists, often make a hand gesture to symbolize their movement that uses the outstretched middle, ring, and pinky fingers to represent a Roman numeral “3.” This gesture, from certain angles, can often resemble an “okay” hand gesture and has been misinterpreted by some as a white supremacist symbol.
In Brazil the symbol mean F You so NBA people were telling basketball players going to the Summer Games in Rio who were playing to not using the typical symbol which they use when they make a 3 when in Brazil and to respect the culture. This symbol today has a lot more meaning today then it use too. 

Also I'm not buying the what the Military academies are saying. Half these jackasses come from wealthy families with parents who are possible alumni. Their Little Johnny ain't getting discipline on this. Trust me. If the Military is gonna cover up War crimes they will cover up cadets and midshipman being idiots 

I played that game as a kid. Below the waist was a key part of it. You try to get your buddy to look down at it so you can punch him in the arm. I don’t know the motivation of a particular person and why they would hold up that sign in the air in a photo or on video.  But I’m guessing it may be for a reason other than the circle game because (1) it’s not below the waist; and (2) who are they going to punch? However, the way it was done at the Army Navy game does look more like how you would play the game, though I guess question 2 still remains. 
Bingo!!!! Those saying it was the circle game leave out the key part the Circle game is done with it below your waist. These days the kids make you Flop to the ground or take a punch now 

But why?  A lot of these kids don't even realize it's supposed to be a hate symbol to some.  They are playing a game.  This is like getting in trouble for playing Go Fish.  Sure, Go Fish is a game everyone knows, but some people view it as a game of hate towards the Dutch.  And even though that's not true, people who play Go Fish should know better.
Wrong many of these kids know exactly what they are doing. The game if they were playing was always the hand and gesture below the waist or at least how I've known its played. These kids knew exactly what they were doing. Mommy and Daddy probably paid the academies handsomely to keep their kiddies out of disciplinary here. 

Did white racists start using it to signal their racism?  Never been clear on that part of the story.
Right Wingers hijacked it to start trolling the left and SJWs. However it's been adapted by some Extreme racist right wingers including the New Zealand shooter and others to give it meaning. SO today yes it has the meaning of White Power now. I mostly blame 4chan for this. Nothing but a bunch of immature children living at home getting their ####s and giggles in and now we have this issue 

West Point clears the three cadets.  Says they were not throwing up racist symbols but actually playing the "internationally known" circle game.

Good on them for actually using common sense instead of trying to throw people under the bus for something ridiculous.
I call bull####. This is the same institution that also defends their military for raping women and children and covers up other war crimes committed by their officers and soldiers yearly 

what about the "safety" / "doorknob" game. anyone ever play that one? 
That was more popular amongst my group growing up then the circle game. And boy did we have some good participation for this one. We had a few that just let it go or dropped bombs that cleared a whole elementary classroom.

There out there.  I'm not googling examples right now.

Besides, when was the last time you heard of the friggin' circle game?  That was played like 20 years ago.  The circle game was isn't all that relevant nowadays.
One of my co workers just out of hS played it with his buddies. I told him I haven't seen anyone play that in years and totally forgot about it. I would say more people know it meaning White Power then the circle game. And by the rules I remember it was the circle game only if below the waist. Any other form if a dude punched you well dude got to take a nap himself 

That's what I've thought since the beginning. 

As I said, I'm glad they looked into it and determined it was not racism.  But it would have been even better to not look into it.  Everyone knew that it was the circle game.  
That wasn't going to happen here, now. 

I call bull####. This is the same institution that also defends their military for raping women and children and covers up other war crimes committed by their officers and soldiers yearly 
Nowadays that's just the CinC. 

Played this thousands of times, but I am old and we had to come up with ways to entertain ourselves before the internet and video games.

I also used to tie June bugs onto string and fly them around like a kite.

We also rode helmet-less on our bikes miles away from our homes when we were 10 years old, down to the liquor store, where we bought candy and Mountain Dew.

Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose...

Played this thousands of times, but I am old and we had to come up with ways to entertain ourselves before the internet and video games.

I also used to tie June bugs onto string and fly them around like a kite.

We also rode helmet-less on our bikes miles away from our homes when we were 10 years old, down to the liquor store, where we bought candy and Mountain Dew.

Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose...
Yep. Did you also break the lights off lightning bugs and make a ring around your finger with them?

If it was below the waist it doesn't show up on the camera.
Thats how you play the game which is why I call bull#### on the excuse. They were flashing the white power sign to look like complete jackasses. But like I said this is part of the government that covers up their soldiers and officers raping women and children and committing other war crimes and have admitted they don't know WTF they are doing in Afghanistan. Its not different then the corrupt cop giving the "I feared for my life" bull#### when gunning down an unarmed citizen 

Thats how you play the game which is why I call bull#### on the excuse. They were flashing the white power sign to look like complete jackasses. But like I said this is part of the government that covers up their soldiers and officers raping women and children and committing other war crimes and have admitted they don't know WTF they are doing in Afghanistan. Its not different then the corrupt cop giving the "I feared for my life" bull#### when gunning down an unarmed citizen 
:mellow:

DJackson10 said:
You seem to have significant issues here. 

Get help. 

It would be fascinating to see if you actually have anything tangible to support your rants. 

The elected policy makers that sent forces to Afghanistan an Iraq didn't know what they wanted, so how the hell were the generals supposed to know? 

DJackson10 said:
Dude you are a mess.

Right Wingers hijacked it to start trolling the left and SJWs. However it's been adapted by some Extreme racist right wingers including the New Zealand shooter and others to give it meaning. SO today yes it has the meaning of White Power now. I mostly blame 4chan for this. Nothing but a bunch of immature children living at home getting their ####s and giggles in and now we have this issue 
A crazy shooter can still be a troll when he arrives in court. They are looking to cement their 15 minutes of fame and even continue it, so to give credit for them doing this as a thing is just falling right into their plans.

-OZ- said:
You seem to have significant issues here. 

Get help. 

It would be fascinating to see if you actually have anything tangible to support your rants. 

The elected policy makers that sent forces to Afghanistan an Iraq didn't know what they wanted, so how the hell were the generals supposed to know? 
You may want to read this article on War Crimes by Seal team 6 and here's 2 very good Youtube videos on the subject by the author. Pretty revealing and shows the type of corruption in the military

The Crimes by SEAL TEAM 6

Interview with the Author and more details on cover ups

SEALS tried 6 months to report commander for crimes

More then aQTR of Houston residence shot by HPD were unarmed as cops claimed life or Civilians threatened

This article is mostly on AA shootings but goes for every one

Civilians claims "I feared for my life" gives cops Carta blanche to kill and not get in trouble

Thisarticle is about how the military lies told are worse then the ones the soldiers themselves tell

Lies Chris Kyle believed worst then ones he told

The elite brainwashed that are bought and paid for by the corporations. Aren't there to protect us

You may want to read this article on War Crimes by Seal team 6 and here's 2 very good Youtube videos on the subject by the author. Pretty revealing and shows the type of corruption in the military

More then aQTR of Houston residence shot by HPD were unarmed as cops claimed life or Civilians threatened

Civilians claims "I feared for my life" gives cops Carta blanche to kill and not get in trouble

Thisarticle is about how the military lies told are worse then the ones the soldiers themselves tell

The elite brainwashed that are bought and paid for by the corporations. Aren't there to protect us
An absolute mess.

Please cite your evidence for the bolded. 

Just because you want to make pearl clutching SJWs look like morons doesn't make you a right winger. 

Please cite your evidence for the bolded. 

Just because you want to make pearl clutching SJWs look like morons doesn't make you a right winger. 
:lmao:

Heres a hint as to why you’re wrong: nobody except right wingers ever says SJW. If you use that silly phrase it kind of gives away exactly who you are. 

Why are you citing the police here? 

Things do happen, some people do bad things and try to cover them up. No argument there. 

Maybe I read more into your statements than you meant, but I interpreted your posts as saying these things are far more prevalent than they are. Your assumption that these cadets have to be racist and assuming WP leadership is making excuses instead of a common sense, logical explanation. 

I'll never claim the military is perfect, that would be way too broad a statement. But this situation seems to be handled correctly.

Except I've not voted for a Republican President... ever. 

Please do not pass go and head directly to wrong. 
I don’t care who you voted for. Right wing doesn’t mean Republican, that’s for dang sure. 

Nobody uses the term Social Justice Warrior (at least not seriously) unless you’re right wing. Full stop. Have a merry Christmas. 

I don’t care who you voted for. Right wing doesn’t mean Republican, that’s for dang sure. 

Nobody uses the term Social Justice Warrior (at least not seriously) unless you’re right wing. Full stop. Have a merry Christmas. 
I for one am shocked Tim is as disconnected from reality as ever when it comes to stuff like this. Shocked :D  

Doesn't SJW just factor into regular parlance. I agree with tim, but only to an extent. I'm sure there are anti-PC that use the term that don't consider themselves "of the right" at all. It would be hard to prove/disprove this, though, so it seems hardly worth the effort. 

:lmao:

Heres a hint as to why you’re wrong: nobody except right wingers ever says SJW. If you use that silly phrase it kind of gives away exactly who you are. 
This isn't true.  I am an Independent who has voted Democrat more times than Republican and I use that term all of the time.

Haven’t been on the boards much of late, but can we stop pretending that symbols can’t have more than one meeting; that a symbols meeting can depend upon the user/audience/context; and finally, a concerted effort is often made to co-opt a seemingly benign symbol for less than altruistic purposes?

TL;DR: it’s pretty clear that the circle game and the “ok” symbol (with the pronounced three wingers for W as in White) has ALSO been co-opted to confer the brotherhood of racists/white nationalists/jabronies that think it’s funny to act like one.

This isn't true.  I am an Independent who has voted Democrat more times than Republican and I use that term all of the time.
It’s absolutely true and what party you vote for doesn’t define whether you’re a right winger or not. If you seriously use the term “social justice warrior” then you have a skewed, frankly incorrect viewpoint about political correctness issues that only certain right wingers have. To everybody else that term, if we’re even aware of it, is a joke, not to be taken seriously except as evidence of paranoia. 

It’s absolutely true and what party you vote for doesn’t define whether you’re a right winger or not. If you seriously use the term “social justice warrior” then you have a skewed, frankly incorrect viewpoint about political correctness issues that only certain right wingers have. To everybody else that term, if we’re even aware of it, is a joke, not to be taken seriously except as evidence of paranoia. 
Ok

Users who are viewing this thread