What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we stop pretending the circle game is racism? (3 Viewers)

Yeah... I'd rather out myself as a Klan member as the reason for using that symbol than ever admitting to playing a game as 'tarded as that as an adult. At least as a racist, I'd have some self-respect.
:lmao:

The circle game triggering people like this has now become the best laugh of the week.

i have to admit I was today years old when I found out OK  was a white power symbol AND found out what the Circle Game was.

Now get off my lawn. 

Okay???

TheIronSheik said:
You put your hand below your belt and if you can get someone to look at it, you get to punch them in the arm.  If you can stick your finger in the circle and break it, you get to punch that person.  That's it.  It's a stupid game most guys learn when they are in junior high.  It was widely played all over the country for decades.  

IT IS NOT A WHITE POWER SYMBOL OF HATE! 
It's 1960s elementary school material - and stuck around through high school in the 70s.

I don't know after that.  It certainly means nothing more to me than a life-long aversion to gazing below the bellybutton of any male.  

Today I was packing up a laptop to send off for repair. The (African-American) student’s user icon? A hand making the “OK” circle.

Believe me, this kid isn’t the type to be making some meta statement about race or white supremicists. He’s referencing the game.

It was a game when I was a kid and it’s come back around at least twice in the last six years here.

The odds are stacked against the target person. It’s going to be tough to break up the circle without looking even if you know it’s there. Allowing pictures and videos makes it even worse. Why not just take a picture of yourself doing it and show it to them on your phone? Free pass to hit someone with not possibility of stopping it
Yeah good question 

West Point clears the three cadets.  Says they were not throwing up racist symbols but actually playing the "internationally known" circle game.

Good on them for actually using common sense instead of trying to throw people under the bus for something ridiculous.

West Point clears the three cadets.  Says they were not throwing up racist symbols but actually playing the "internationally known" circle game.

Good on them for actually using common sense instead of trying to throw people under the bus for something ridiculous.
Can we at least call them dumb for not doing it below the waist?  They didn't even know how to play the game.

Wasn't the point of looking into this to make sure this was the case?

Can we at least call them dumb for not doing it below the waist?  They didn't even know how to play the game.
It's below their waist.  That's why you only see their hands and not their faces. 

But even if it's slightly above their waist, if they went lower, it wouldn't be seen on TV.  Ruins the whole thing.  

Wasn't the point of looking into this to make sure this was the case?
Not sure I get what you're saying.   

What I can tell you is that many people have been fired from jobs because of the OK sign being shown in a company picture only for it to get called racist.  Instead of using common sense, those places chose not to upset the Twitter Idiot Hordes.  

Not sure I get what you're saying.   

What I can tell you is that many people have been fired from jobs because of the OK sign being shown in a company picture only for it to get called racist.  Instead of using common sense, those places chose not to upset the Twitter Idiot Hordes.  
Some people have used the circle thing as a white power symbol. It seemed unlikely that was what was happening here but it made sense to look into it. The Navy did and people move on. 

Some people have used the circle thing as a white power symbol. It seemed unlikely that was what was happening here but it made sense to look into it. The Navy did and people move on. 
As I said, I'm glad they looked into it and determined it was not racism.  But it would have been even better to not look into it.  Everyone knew that it was the circle game.  

You say "some people" but you say that like it's 50% or 25% or even 10%.  But the truth is the number is probably under 100 people.  So let's stop pretending we need to investigate everything for racism when we know it's not there.  It would be like saying, "I saw a white guy driving a Volkswagon.  Did you know Hitler invented them?  Obviously that white guy is a racist."  

I bet a lot of idiot white supremacists do a lot of things normal people do.  I bet they wave.  I bet they give the middle finger.  But that doesn't mean they own it.  And by saying the OK symbol is now something they do so we should look into it gives those morons who spread hatred more credit than they deserve.  It used to be we laughed at those inbred idiots.  Now, through the media and social media, we've turned them into a powerful group that everyone is afraid of again.  It's stupid.  Let's stop giving white supremacists credit and power they don't deserve to get. 

:soapbox:

As I said, I'm glad they looked into it and determined it was not racism.  But it would have been even better to not look into it.  Everyone knew that it was the circle game.  
Incorrect.  As a few people already said, there are many examples of legitimate white supremacists using this symbol to identity themselves.  It was the right move to investigate this incident. 

Incorrect.  As a few people already said, there are many examples of legitimate white supremacists using this symbol to identity themselves.  It was the right move to investigate this incident. 
No.  It was not.  As I stated in the rest of my post.

You say "some people" but you say that like it's 50% or 25% or even 10%.  But the truth is the number is probably under 100 people.  So let's stop pretending we need to investigate everything for racism when we know it's not there.  It would be like saying, "I saw a white guy driving a Volkswagon.  Did you know Hitler invented them?  Obviously that white guy is a racist."  

I bet a lot of idiot white supremacists do a lot of things normal people do.  I bet they wave.  I bet they give the middle finger.  But that doesn't mean they own it.  And by saying the OK symbol is now something they do so we should look into it gives those morons who spread hatred more credit than they deserve.  It used to be we laughed at those inbred idiots.  Now, through the media and social media, we've turned them into a powerful group that everyone is afraid of again.  It's stupid.  Let's stop giving white supremacists credit and power they don't deserve to get. 

A lot of people have no idea what the circle game is. Some people may have only seen it from Some story like this

To me it’s a very minor story and everyone who paid attention gets a bit of education. 

So the folks at West Point looked into it and cleared these guys, but you're still outraged because they took the time to investigate rather than just dismissing it outright?  Let it go my good man - this is the system working!

So the folks at West Point looked into it and cleared these guys, but you're still outraged because they took the time to investigate rather than just dismissing it outright?  Let it go my good man - this is the system working!
That's not quite what I said.  

I actually said I was glad to see that West Point cleared them.  Because so many places have just got out the pitchforks and torches and burned people at the stake.  The Cubs banned a guy for life for playing the circle game.  He's been branded a racist for playing a game that is played all over the planet!  How crazy is that?

What I said was that we shouldn't need to investigate stupid stuff like this.  It's stupid.  But more importantly, every time we do an investigation, we give the actual racists more power.  We let them have power over one of the most universally used hand signs in the world.  I would imagine every time one of these investigations is shown on the news, these white supremacists are high fiving each other and celebrating another victory where they've gained more power and notoriety.  

And if that's true, it's sad.  Because we have no one but ourselves to blame for the rise of fame to these groups.  The free advertising we're giving them.  Also, if we see anyone high fiving, we should investigate because I hear that some white supremacists are doing it.  And we should investigate just to make sure there's no racism.

Just because you haven't heard of it means it's possibly racist.  Not everything you haven't heard of should be investigating for racist overtones.  
Not sure where the bolded comes from. People might not be quite as informed on this game played by kids in middle school and are only aware of it as some WP thing or some weird thing that internet trolls have co-opted.  

Given the very public nature of this event I’d think the Navy handled this perfectly.

I remember this back in the 70’s. My uncle and some of his buddies (in their mid to late 20s) used to do it. 

Not sure where the bolded comes from. People might not be quite as informed on this game played by kids in middle school and are only aware of it as some WP thing or some weird thing that internet trolls have co-opted.  

Given the very public nature of this event I’d think the Navy handled this perfectly.
I've agreed with this from the moment I brought it up.

My point has been that it's ridiculous that we are at a point where we need to investigate hand signs.  From here on out, there should be no reason to investigate this.  We've seen it happen on live TV and it turned out it was the Circle Game.  So now everyone knows what it is.  No need to investigate any further.  If you see someone throw an OK sign up down below their waist, you can assume that it is almost 100% the Circle Game.

Many? Really? Other than the 4chan trolls trying to make this a thing, or the Twitter idiots looking for any history of random white supremacist idiots having used the ok symbol in any picture in their history?

People can find all sorts of things to "prove" their point yet it does not make them right. Unless you believe the flat earth and the anti vax people too that is.

My point has been that it's ridiculous that we are at a point where we need to investigate hand signs.  From here on out, there should be no reason to investigate this.  We've seen it happen on live TV and it turned out it was the Circle Game.  So now everyone knows what it is.  No need to investigate any further.  If you see someone throw an OK sign up down below their waist, you can assume that it is almost 100% the Circle Game.
Who knows. Agreed the whole thing is ridiculous when you actually talk about it. I do assume that most people are doing this innocently.

Personally I’d probably just not be flashing the circle game behind the back of the tv guy once I read that some skinheads did it but it’s not that important to me.

That's not quite what I said.  

I actually said I was glad to see that West Point cleared them.  Because so many places have just got out the pitchforks and torches and burned people at the stake.  The Cubs banned a guy for life for playing the circle game.  He's been branded a racist for playing a game that is played all over the planet!  How crazy is that?

What I said was that we shouldn't need to investigate stupid stuff like this.  It's stupid.  But more importantly, every time we do an investigation, we give the actual racists more power.  We let them have power over one of the most universally used hand signs in the world.  I would imagine every time one of these investigations is shown on the news, these white supremacists are high fiving each other and celebrating another victory where they've gained more power and notoriety.  

And if that's true, it's sad.  Because we have no one but ourselves to blame for the rise of fame to these groups.  The free advertising we're giving them.  Also, if we see anyone high fiving, we should investigate because I hear that some white supremacists are doing it.  And we should investigate just to make sure there's no racism.
I get what you are saying, but I guess what I'd say is that when something like this happens by a government institution in a very public setting, we are better off doing the investigation rather than just ignoring it and assuming it isn't racism.  Racism obviously exists within the government, and has historically existed in the military (not saying it does or does not currently, because I have no knowledge and not throwing that label at anyone or any group).  Other scenarios, particularly involving private, non famous citizens is a completely different story.  We should be making national headlines about something that isn't news just to grab attention for a headline.  Serves no purpose.

Who knows. Agreed the whole thing is ridiculous when you actually talk about it. I do assume that most people are doing this innocently.

Personally I’d probably just not be flashing the circle game behind the back of the tv guy once I read that some skinheads did it but it’s not that important to me.
To be fair though, I'm guessing more kids know about the circle game than they know that it's viewed by some to be a racist symbol.  

Many? Really? Other than the 4chan trolls trying to make this a thing, or the Twitter idiots looking for any history of random white supremacist idiots having used the ok symbol in any picture in their history?

People can find all sorts of things to "prove" their point yet it does not make them right. Unless you believe the flat earth and the anti vax people too that is.
There out there.  I'm not googling examples right now.

Besides, when was the last time you heard of the friggin' circle game?  That was played like 20 years ago.  The circle game was isn't all that relevant nowadays.

There out there.  I'm not googling examples right now.

Besides, when was the last time you heard of the friggin' circle game?  That was played like 20 years ago.  The circle game was isn't all that relevant nowadays.
Yes it is.  Maybe not for you and I in our middle ages.  But for kids, this game is still played.  My daughter said the kids in her high school play it all the time.  

Yes it is.  Maybe not for you and I in our middle ages.  But for kids, this game is still played.  My daughter said the kids in her high school play it all the time.  
lol - my daughter middle school and her whole softball team played it last year and part of the year before that ....

we would even be sitting on the bench and i'd yell OW and then "pretend" to grab my knee and make the circle and the girls would look and get pissed :lol:

Sadly we stopped just because of this crap .... 

lol - my daughter middle school and her whole softball team played it last year and part of the year before that ....

we would even be sitting on the bench and i'd yell OW and then "pretend" to grab my knee and make the circle and the girls would look and get pissed :lol:

Sadly we stopped just because of this crap .... 
Sad indeed.  We've allowed racists to control our fun and take away our symbols.  And the worst part is, we just gave it to them.  Handed it over and accepted that they now own the OK symbol.  Ridiculous.

Sad indeed.  We've allowed racists to control our fun and take away our symbols.  And the worst part is, we just gave it to them.  Handed it over and accepted that they now own the OK symbol.  Ridiculous.
Well, I'll admit that I didn't know the circle game was still being played as much these days.  Regardless, they were correct to look into it and we can move on now.

Unfortunately actual white supremacists deciding "hey 4chan that's actually a pretty cool symbol for white supremacy" and actually picking it up has probably ruined both the circle game and the OK gesture for everyone.  It's not like that's some reach or some unprecedented example of modern PC culture or anything.  The swastika was a well known symbol of well-being for hundreds of years before one stupid hateful group ruined it for everyone.

Obviously I don't think the army/navy kids knew or did anything wrong but I'm guessing the dominos have already started to fall and 5 years from now this well be widely recognized as a white power symbol before anything else and circle game will go the way of smear the #####.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. It was accidental, how did you play?
If someone in the area let out some flatulence they had to say "safety" before someone in the area said "doorknob".  If the safety occurred first then nothing.....go about normal business.  However if the "doorknob" was said first anybody around could punch the flatulence maker until they touched a doorknob.  

There were some other amendments for situations such as bus rides to a game (didn't want to harm a guy on the way to a game that could cause us to lose) to postpone the punishment.....bus ride home was fair game.

Users who are viewing this thread