What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☹ Official 2020 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☹ (4 Viewers)

I really loved this. Gives some insight in how they feel they will approach the offensive side of the ball and explains some moves. They wanted to be able to go three TE heavy formations and punch people in the mouth and run the ball as well as spread it out with 4/5 WR formations and use speed. Basically, instead of having "This is who we are, stop us" it is "we will attack you in how you are built- are you light/speed then we attack with beef. Are you built like a tank, we will run past you" 

That is the thing. The 40 is a track thing. The proper stance and mechanics of a 40 yard dash have nothing to do with football. Whether it was a quick clock or slow response, neither show his football speed which is what really matters. 
Pretty sure I was agreeing with you. I just don’t buy into the conspiracy that the clock was started before the gun went off. 

Pretty sure I was agreeing with you. I just don’t buy into the conspiracy that the clock was started before the gun went off. 
It wasn't his reaction. There's no gun. They are SUPPOSED to start when the player starts. There's .14 off the clock before his hand leaves the ground. Pretty blatant really. 

It wasn't his reaction. There's no gun. They are SUPPOSED to start when the player starts. There's .14 off the clock before his hand leaves the ground. Pretty blatant really. 
I seem to remember some false starts when watching. I never paid attention to whether it was on a que or on their own. 

The 40 time can be debated but what will matter is how he is playing midway or 3/4 of the way through the season.   He will take his lumps early as most rookies do.   

The 40 time can be debated but what will matter is how he is playing midway or 3/4 of the way through the season.   He will take his lumps early as most rookies do.   
yea.  reading the ruggs thread, i learned that he had some minor injuries, let's hope that they stay minor, or non existent.  tyreek gets hurt too.  little dudes that bring it, are in a dangerous line of work.

Chadstroma said:
They wanted to be able to go three TE heavy formations and punch people in the mouth and run the ball as well as spread it out with 4/5 WR formations and use speed. 
We've already seen the damage the Raiders can do in the run game if our O-line starters stay healthy and don't tail in production, Jacobs was a monster, and we wore teams the #&$% out with the grind.

Now imagine if the other phase of the game clicks as well -- our speedy, physical receivers play up to potential at this level right away on both short/intermediate hits out of the spread with the threat of a bomb any given play.

The run sets up the pass. The spread sets up the run.

Throw in a Bowden working at this level of the NFL as a joker, and you have a completely unpredictable, audible-loving, mismatch-creating monster.

The exact kind of offense a coach like Gruden could maximize and optimize. He may never leave the office and our playbook will be >2000 pages.

This could be really, really fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Arnette? 

It is frankly ridiculous that the NFL combines still have a hand-timed start. I mean, the finish is electronic, why not remove human error altogether?

Seeing how excited both Mayock and Gruden were when they drafted Arnette -- fists pumping in the air in victory, yelling out loud, their families jumping up and down -- that told me everything I needed to know about how confident they are that they got the right guy.

As for Arnette? 

It is frankly ridiculous that the NFL combines still have a hand-timed start. I mean, the finish is electronic, why not remove human error altogether?

Seeing how excited both Mayock and Gruden were when they drafted Arnette -- fists pumping in the air in victory, yelling out loud, their families jumping up and down -- that told me everything I needed to know about how confident they are that they got the right guy.
I had the exact same reaction to seeing Gruden and Mayocks reaction to the pick.  I don't follow College ball at all, and my NFL draft 'preparation' is normally pretty light.  Primarily reading up on the guys the Raiders could be targeting.  So I'm not embarrassed to point out that the announcement of Arnette's name by Goddell was likely the very first time I heard his name.   The immediate sense of "oh oh, I don't remember every hearing or reading this guys name" was washed away by the display of pure excitement by Mayock. 

Bummer.  Would have been fun to see Gore in a Raiders uniform before he turns to dust. 
Agree, one of my favorite backs to watch over the last 15 years - super tough, and proves people wrong every year about his effectiveness.

He'll likely prove me wrong yet again, but there seemed to be a notable step-down in his game last year -- speed and power. Even on a 1 year deal, not sure how much utility he would truly provide to our offense.

Not really excite about Booker outside of camp competition and depth. Booker looked really promising out of college, but has been largely pedestrian. He had a few flashes on singular plays: I remember a sweet hurdle right over the head of a Colts DB that he took the house; he was effective in a few end-arounds when he could turn the corner. Has some soft hands as a receiver.

Maybe this is risk mitigation in case Richard goes down and we need a 3rd down back if Bowden struggles in YR1. But Booker's pass pro ranges from mediocre to terrible. There is a reason the Broncos drafted Freeman. There is also a reason they brought on Theo Riddick as a 3rd down back.

We needed some potential depth at RB, so not a terrible signing. Hopefully he brings that chip on the shoulder to prove the Donks wrong when we play them twice a year. Maybe Booker finds the change of scenery enough to turn around his career (it's happened before -- Gannon is a great example). 

I doubt it though. We'll see.

Could not care less about RB3.  

If he goes down, we'll sign a banger, and, use Richard/Bowden/Ingold otherwise. 

Lamar Miller and Devonta Freeman are waiting for a call.  There's always a back we can get that will look good behind a good line.

Dang, so happy we have a good O-line.  

As a Bowden owner I wasn't thrilled to see Booker signed.  I was hoping that maybe Bowden would beat out Richard as the passing back, but adding Booker seems to be an indication that maybe the team doesn't trust Bowden to jump in and be ready.  What do others think?

Man, I hope there can be fans at the first home game. I’m sure drew brees will break records that night but still!

Well at least the Raiders don't travel the most miles of any team this year like the last three seasons.  Guess they made up for it by giving us the most 1 pm EST games of any west coast team in league history with six.

Well at least the Raiders don't travel the most miles of any team this year like the last three seasons.  Guess they made up for it by giving us the most 1 pm EST games of any west coast team in league history with six.
And we get catch the Chiefs after their bye...again.

But I don't care.

I welcome the continued league's hate - we are underdogs at our core and I like it that way.

I have stopped caring about the little disadvantages and worrying about what other teams we play and when.

To reach our glory days again, we need to win, no matter when or where, no matter the cost.

We are coming out of a successful rebuild, and we seem to have the pieces falling into place going forward with a young and dangerous-looking team.

Let other teams have nightmares about playing us. Let other teams think they have an advantage and come in to play us with defenses down and overconfident.

This is not the same Raider team as the last decade and a half. A new page is firmly turned for this team, and we are rejuvenated with a new breath of fresh Vegas air.

That air is the autumn wind. And it's gonna be a pirate.

I see at least 9 wins. Not the toughest schedule but far from a slam dunk.

I am up in the air about the Bills and TB, both have gotten stronger, and see us splitting division games with everyone (Chargers and Broncos are also much stronger) with a nod to getting swept by the Chiefs (though I have a hunch we can split games with them too).

I love our late schedule, as it looks like a great stretch of games to get us higher in the standings. Though I admit Dolphins might be a wild card this year.

4 Prime Time games this year? I don't recall us having that many in a long time, if ever. 

@ Panthers -- W

Saints  -- L

@ Pats -- W

Bills -- ?

@ KC -- L

BYE

Bucs -- ?

@ Browns -- W

@ Chargers -- L

Broncos -- W

Chiefs -- L

@ Falcons -- W

@ Jets -- W

Colts -- W

Chargers -- W

Dolphins -- W

@ Broncos -- L

As a Bowden owner I wasn't thrilled to see Booker signed.  I was hoping that maybe Bowden would beat out Richard as the passing back, but adding Booker seems to be an indication that maybe the team doesn't trust Bowden to jump in and be ready.  What do others think?
I like it because training camp will bear it out.  If Booker beats out Bowden it's because Booker's better, so why would that be a bad thing?  It won't mean the end for Bowden it just means someone else stepped up.  That's never bad.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
@ Panthers -- W

@ Pats -- W

@ Browns -- W

@ Falcons -- W

@ Jets -- W
This feels generous, west coast teams traditionally #### the bed when travelling for 1:00 starts.  Then add in that I'm not sure Oakland is actually better than any of these teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
This feels generous, west coast teams traditionally #### the bed when travelling for 1:00 starts.  Then add in that I'm not sure Oakland is actually better than any of these teams.
There are some recent developments regarding this football club you may want to look into.

Going to take a while to get used to the city change.

Vegas is in the Pacific Time Zone, isn't it?
I'm mostly just being pedantic, but they are about 10 miles from being in the Mountain Time Zone and farther east than some parts of Idaho and Oregon that are MTZ.  Vegas is 300 miles from the Pacific Ocean.

I'm mostly just being pedantic, but they are about 10 miles from being in the Mountain Time Zone and farther east than some parts of Idaho and Oregon that are MTZ.  Vegas is 300 miles from the Pacific Ocean.
On the plus side, they players won't be distracted by all the Vegas nightlife this season.

Valid point.

The 10 AM starts for WC teams has been the trope and traditionally true, probably more so for poor Raider teams over the last decade plus. Really interesting analysis of recent trends shows that the impact is not as severe as once believed. 

You are also right that nothing is proven about this or any team (especially one with a lot of rookies and 2nd year players we're depending upon in key starting slots) until we see it on the field. 

That said, any road game is tough, and road games despite time zone changes are a thing any team has to contend with. I remain fairly confident in that stretch. I am not saying the "W" means an easy win. But I think these are games we can win:

• I think the Raiders are way further ahead of the Panthers in the rebuild process and CAR isn't going to jump from a 5-win team to an 8-8 team this year.
  • Pats are due for a big let down given Brady's departure. They could adapt and survive with a personnel carousel with Brady. With Stidham? Not so much.
  • Browns have tons of talent, but (to the point above) have yet to show it on the field.  I don't see them being much better than they were last year.
  • The Falcons rebuilt their D, and could surprise, but they, too, are further behind in the rebuild process.
  • Jets can be dangerous and had a pretty great draft. Honestly I'm banking on the Raiders wanting revenge for getting their a$$e$ kicked up and down the field last year.

Hankmoody said:
I like it because training camp will bear it out.  If Booker beats out Bowden it's because Booker's better, so why would that be a bad thing?  It won't mean the end for Bowden it just means someone else stepped up.  That's never bad.
Booker was less than good in pass pro. 

I am not sure this is a position stacked against each other. Meaning, I don't think they are playing for the same role in the offense. Bowden will have game time for sure even if just plays made specfically for him. I suspect Booker will not make the 53. 

The Panthers will end up in a changing gear year I think. 

The Pats are going to be nothing near what we have known of them in the past. It isn't just about Brady either. This is the begining of the end of the dynasty. 

Of any of the teams on that list that I think we will end up taking an L on it is the Browns. They under played last year and I blame Kitchens. I like the new HC and they have goobs of talent. I expect them to be a much better team this year. HOWEVER, with COVID that may take a while and see them being a second half team where they start to get things together. (as teams with new HC's will all be in the same boat of being behind the established coaching staffs) We play them right when I suspect they might start to get their crap together. We shall see. 

Falcons have been stuck in neutral for the last couple of years and I am not sure I see any reason to expect them to be different. 

The Jets will be better this year but that is not a high standard to achieve. I think we will be better. 

Hey Raiders fans, I have a serious question.  I swear I'm not trolling, but I could use your input:

Buddies and I are starting to dream about our annual Vegas trip, and when I say dream I mean that in the sense of anything being normal enough by October/November enough that travel/gambling/football would make the trip worthwhile.

I am of the opinion that being on the Strip on any Sunday when the Raiders have a home game will be a nightmare for non-Raiders fans.  One of the weekends we are looking at they are scheduled to play the Chiefs at home on SNF.  Seems like a worst case scenario.  Any thoughts?

Hey Raiders fans, I have a serious question.  I swear I'm not trolling, but I could use your input:

Buddies and I are starting to dream about our annual Vegas trip, and when I say dream I mean that in the sense of anything being normal enough by October/November enough that travel/gambling/football would make the trip worthwhile.

I am of the opinion that being on the Strip on any Sunday when the Raiders have a home game will be a nightmare for non-Raiders fans.  One of the weekends we are looking at they are scheduled to play the Chiefs at home on SNF.  Seems like a worst case scenario.  Any thoughts?
Wear a plain black jacket or tshirt. 

I suspect Booker will not make the 53. 
I don't know. Mentioned this early but given Bowden's flexibility of dressing as an RB, WR, QB, ST, we could easily carry all 4 and choose to dress 3 for a game and list Bowden as a WR (but use him as a 4th RB). 

The Pats are going to be nothing near what we have known of them in the past. It isn't just about Brady either. This is the begining of the end of the dynasty. 
I can only hope, so sick of the fawning over that team. I do expect that fawning to shift a little to the Bucs as a result as both Brady and Gronk.

Take it you are a Chiefs fan? I don't think it was unpleasant even in the black hole in the Coliseum for opposing teams wearing their colors. Sure, you'll get some jabs, but I never saw anything mean-spirited. That only came when opposing fans tried to escalate - if you act like a goof, you'll get that right back and more.

I also think that "edge" might be a little softened with a different fanbase in LV. But I really can't say without being there and seeing the vibe first-hand and comparing it tom waht I experienced in Oaktown.

Hard to tell for certain.... but....

Both LA and Oakland were not friendly places to go to for fans of the other team. I can not say that will be the same but I would go on the safe side and NOT wear your teams colors to the game. That is just asking for trouble from LA and Oakland. If you are not wearing your teams colors then there is no reason to worry out of the game and the only way it becomes a potential problem is when you are cheering your team on during the game. 

When I was in Vegas back in November I saw a lot of Raider gear on the strip. Both our fanbase of the greater LA and Bay areas are readily within striking distance to to Vegas. I have no idea how much of that gear was from Vegas fans or imported. 

I don't know. Mentioned this early but given Bowden's flexibility of dressing as an RB, WR, QB, ST, we could easily carry all 4 and choose to dress 3 for a game and list Bowden as a WR (but use him as a 4th RB). 

I can only hope, so sick of the fawning over that team. I do expect that fawning to shift a little to the Bucs as a result as both Brady and Gronk.

Take it you are a Chiefs fan? I don't think it was unpleasant even in the black hole in the Coliseum for opposing teams wearing their colors. Sure, you'll get some jabs, but I never saw anything mean-spirited. That only came when opposing fans tried to escalate - if you act like a goof, you'll get that right back and more.

I also think that "edge" might be a little softened with a different fanbase in LV. But I really can't say without being there and seeing the vibe first-hand and comparing it tom waht I experienced in Oaktown.
Yea, if you are respectful you are going to be good but you also need to have a good attitude and not thin skinned. If you react like a tough guy then you are going to be in trouble quick. If you wear the other teams colors, you will get extra comments and jokes etc thrown at ya. If you keep cool, then people around you will keep cool. I still would't put that target on my back. 

Though I have no problem wearing my Raider gear to other stadiums. 

Yea, if you are respectful you are going to be good but you also need to have a good attitude and not thin skinned. If you react like a tough guy then you are going to be in trouble quick. If you wear the other teams colors, you will get extra comments and jokes etc thrown at ya. If you keep cool, then people around you will keep cool. I still would't put that target on my back. 

Though I have no problem wearing my Raider gear to other stadiums. 
Niners fan, so no consequence there.  I'm too old to wear "gear" and I mostly am there to gamble so I'm not chesty.  The Strip often sucks anyway, but I'm afraid it will be overrun with Raiders fans (read: NEW Raiders fans) being dbags.  I'm probably overreacting.  80,000 of them will be at Allegiant all day after all, right?

The Strip often sucks anyway, but I'm afraid it will be overrun with Raiders fans (read: NEW Raiders fans) being dbags.  I'm probably overreacting.  80,000 of them will be at Allegiant all day after all, right?
I love the strip -- it's cheesy, schlocky, touristy, and you get d-bags no matter what. Aside from the d-bags, I actually like it because it's at a scale and energy that is pretty unique. I like to gamble (blackjack, set a limit for loss) and love the food and the sights, so I guess I just enjoy the experience while I'm there. It's not for everyone, for sure.

As for what happens after a game on the strip, what the vibe is, etc.? We're all in new territory here so who knows.

Niners fan, so no consequence there.  I'm too old to wear "gear" and I mostly am there to gamble so I'm not chesty.  The Strip often sucks anyway, but I'm afraid it will be overrun with Raiders fans (read: NEW Raiders fans) being dbags.  I'm probably overreacting.  80,000 of them will be at Allegiant all day after all, right?
I think you are good and shouldnt need to worry

I love the strip -- it's cheesy, schlocky, touristy, and you get d-bags no matter what. Aside from the d-bags, I actually like it because it's at a scale and energy that is pretty unique. I like to gamble (blackjack, set a limit for loss) and love the food and the sights, so I guess I just enjoy the experience while I'm there. It's not for everyone, for sure.

As for what happens after a game on the strip, what the vibe is, etc.? We're all in new territory here so who knows.
"The sights".... the tight skimpy clothed kind

i wouldn't be concerned at all.  if you're chiefs fans, acting the fool, you might find attract some attention.  otherwise, you're good.  

even before the covid, i feared for our home field advantage.  after the covid, and after seeing those ticket prices, yikes!  i was not a season ticket holder, but was part of a group of 20+ year, season ticket holders.  around 25 of them.  only one renewed in vegas.  just too much money.  i usually go to around 2 home games and 1 away game.  this year will be weird.  i'd love to go to either opening night, at the new stadium, against the saints. or the tampa bay, sunday night game.  but the prices have me cringing.  gonna have to pull some corporate strings.

never saw so many fights than at raider/49er games.  all the bangers knew each other.  that cross town action, was not a good recipe.

i never saw anyone, get anything other than heckled, unless they were being a jackass.  been going to games for 30 years.

Users who are viewing this thread