What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☹ Official 2020 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☹ (2 Viewers)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
New city, new stadium, new hope.  Let's leave a great place with a lot of great memories and christen a new home with a whole ton more.

The Autumn Wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea,
With a rollicking song, he sweeps along,
Swaggering boisterously.

His face is weather beaten.
He wears a hooded sash,
With a silver hat about his head,
And a bristling black mustache.

He growls as he storms the country,
A villain big and bold.
And the trees all shake and quiver and quake,
As he robs them of their gold.

The Autumn Wind is a raider,
Pillaging just for fun.
He'll knock you 'round and upside down,
And laugh when he's conquered and won.

Sorry, didn't see the new 2020 post. Looking ahead we have 73 million in cap space, 2 first rounders 12 and 19, plus 3 third rounders.  Personally, id like them to take a run at Chris Harris from Denver.

Burfict has been reinstated. Do we bring him to Vegas? I vote yes, by all accounts he was a good teammate,  good leaderahip, and should be a low cost no risk investment to bolster the LB corps. 

When do we officially become the Las Vegas raiders?

i read somewhere the team won’t head out until training camp is finished 

When do we officially become the Las Vegas raiders?

i read somewhere the team won’t head out until training camp is finished 
The Start of the new league year,  in March they are the Las Vegas Raiders. I do think they are Napa next year for Spring Training. 

Burfict has been reinstated. Do we bring him to Vegas? I vote yes, by all accounts he was a good teammate,  good leaderahip, and should be a low cost no risk investment to bolster the LB corps. 
Sure may as well.  When he's suspended he costs 0 and when he's not he's worth every penny.  We do need a full-time reliable answer at some point but with the holes we still have we need every chance to patch it up to be undertaken.

2019 sack totals:

Bears 32.0 (24th in the league)

Raiders 32.0

Individual players

Max Crosby 10 (top 10!!!)

Nick Bosa 9.5

Khalil Mack 8.5

This is somewhat of what I meant toward end of last year when I said "screw tanking, go for the W at all times, let draft position take care of itself and you will be rewarded by the football gods." Now if we could only do something about the officiating!!!

I thot this was so great I posted in 2019 thread as well. When do we officially make the switch? So confused...

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-nfl-schedule-raiders-home-015727340.html

Home
Denver Broncos-W
Los Angeles Chargers-W
Kansas City Chiefs-L
New Orleans Saints-L
Indianapolis Colts-W
Tampa Bay Buccaneers-W
Miami Dolphins-W
Buffalo Bills-W

Away
Denver Broncos-L
Kansas City Chiefs-L
Los Angeles Chargers-W
Atlanta Falcons-W
Cleveland Browns-W
Carolina Panthers-W
New England Patriots-L
New York Jets-W

I'm calling 11-5 now. 

Home
Denver Broncos-W
Los Angeles Chargers-W
Kansas City Chiefs-L
New Orleans Saints-L
Indianapolis Colts-W
Tampa Bay Buccaneers-W
Miami Dolphins-W
Buffalo Bills-W

Away
Denver Broncos-L
Kansas City Chiefs-L
Los Angeles Chargers-W
Atlanta Falcons-W
Cleveland Browns-W
Carolina Panthers-W
New England Patriots-L
New York Jets-W

I'm calling 11-5 now. 
That is a nice schedule.  11 games vs non playoff teams. 

Was looking for the "2020 Oakland Raiders" thread and skimmed past. This is gonna take some getting used to.

But google image search the new stadium and its easy to quickly get psyched for the new digs in Vegas. 

Home
Denver Broncos-W
Los Angeles Chargers-W
Kansas City Chiefs-L
New Orleans Saints-L
Indianapolis Colts-W
Tampa Bay Buccaneers-W
Miami Dolphins-W
Buffalo Bills-W

Away
Denver Broncos-L
Kansas City Chiefs-L
Los Angeles Chargers-W
Atlanta Falcons-W
Cleveland Browns-W
Carolina Panthers-W
New England Patriots-L
New York Jets-W

I'm calling 11-5 now. 
Both chargers games should be included in the home column

Are we playing overseas this year. I’d assume we are not giving up a home game as of this year

happy new year everyone 

Las Vegas Raiders is going to take some time to get used to.  Can't remember the last time I was this excited/optimistic about the next season right after the conclusion of the current one.  Happy New Year to all Raider Nation.

That is a nice schedule.  11 games vs non playoff teams. 
Happy New Year Raider Nation!! 

I like that schedule too.   But so much as to how we do hangs on Derek Carr's improvement as a downfield passer and a team leader.   He can't just be a "game-manager";  he has to show that he can carry this team when needed.   

Happy New Year, everyone! Wishing you all good health and prosperity in 2020!!

Wanted to get on the board before the 'Bama/Michigan game and say I'm somewhat intrigued by Shea Patterson. Haven't watched a lot but what I've seen I've liked.  Came up woefully short in the two biggest games of his career but I believe the offense put 20+ on the board in both.

I firmly believe Gruden wants a mobile quarterback, be that Carr or someone else. Carr has not really shown that ability IMO. When he got the corner against SD late this season Gruden mentioned "RPO" in the postgame press conference. Only time I heard him say that all year and I really thinks he wants that to be a much bigger portion of his offense.

I think Patterson can bring that element and I think he can extend plays with his feet as well. His rushing numbers, however, this year were terrible so I may not have a point. 😉 But they were a little better the season before and of course have nothing to do with extending plays.

However, I read one brief scouting report on him and it sounded like he had some of the problems that plague Carr. I'll dig that up if I can find it.

Anyway, Patterson doesn't get talked about much in this year's QB crop and I've even read where he can possibly be had in the 5-7 range. I think that's perfect. He could end up being another Tom Brodie. 😉 This game will be a good showcase for him. 'Bama's offense is terrific and their D would seem to have some things for him to exploit so it'll be interesting to see if he can keep the scoreboard operator busy and Michigan in the game.

I also think he's playing in the senior bowl as well.

Happy New Year, everyone! Wishing you all good health and prosperity in 2020!!

Wanted to get on the board before the 'Bama/Michigan game and say I'm somewhat intrigued by Shea Patterson. Haven't watched a lot but what I've seen I've liked.  Came up woefully short in the two biggest games of his career but I believe the offense put 20+ on the board in both.

I firmly believe Gruden wants a mobile quarterback, be that Carr or someone else. Carr has not really shown that ability IMO. When he got the corner against SD late this season Gruden mentioned "RPO" in the postgame press conference. Only time I heard him say that all year and I really thinks he wants that to be a much bigger portion of his offense.

I think Patterson can bring that element and I think he can extend plays with his feet as well. His rushing numbers, however, this year were terrible so I may not have a point. 😉 But they were a little better the season before and of course have nothing to do with extending plays.

However, I read one brief scouting report on him and it sounded like he had some of the problems that plague Carr. I'll dig that up if I can find it.

Anyway, Patterson doesn't get talked about much in this year's QB crop and I've even read where he can possibly be had in the 5-7 range. I think that's perfect. He could end up being another Tom Brodie. 😉 This game will be a good showcase for him. 'Bama's offense is terrific and their D would seem to have some things for him to exploit so it'll be interesting to see if he can keep the scoreboard operator busy and Michigan in the game.

I also think he's playing in the senior bowl as well.
Well...ahem. Can I say I was tempted to delete my entire original post? 😉

Patterson's long ball is obviously terrible. Ironically his best was his first and it got dropped and it snowballed from there. Nothing even really close after that. On the other hand, the Gruden offense doesn't put a lot of stock on a lot of deep balls. He also only completed 17 of 37 which is obviously terrible too but on the surface but I saw close to a half dozen drops.

On the plus side, I loved his pocket awareness and the plays he made with his legs. His medium and short balls were for the most part fine but even on some of those he put his receivers off balance with some poorly placed throws.

Aside from the long ball issue (and that's obviously a major one), I didn't see anything else that soured me on him. But I can kinda see the 5-7 round preliminary draft grade now. I think he'd be worth taking a flyer on at that range assuming they haven't taken a QB before then but I think they will depending on how the draft shakes out.

Bottom line is he was the second best QB on the field. Patterson had a running game working for him yet could never dent the 'Bama defense for really anything significant. The Jones kid outplayed him. True he had Jeudy, etc., but that's an argument Carr backers have long made--give him the weapons and he'll do lots of damage too. And Michigan's receivers are not slouches.

Here are some other views on Patterson (the first is what I was referring to in my original post about him):

Patterson has completed 57 percent of his passes this season for 2,828 yards with 22 touchdowns and six interceptions. He hasn't developed enough as a pocket passer to be an early-round prospect.
Patterson is a streaky quarterback. He can make some accurate throws when he is in rhythm and can use his legs to make some things happen. Patterson revealed some bad habits against Penn State. There were plays where he had a clean pocket, but Patterson would get frantic and rattled by a rush that wasn't there. There was one play where he made a jump pass when he had a clean pocket and it would have been an easy completion if he had just thrown the check down with his feet set. On the next play, Patterson threw a terrible pass right to a defender on an attempted screen.
Patterson's field vision and composure need a lot of work, as he often gets flustered when his first read is covered. Patterson has a skill set with a strong arm and mobility, but he looks like a third-day prospect who should be a third-string developmental backup to see if he can improve enough to be considered a backup. He has a long way to go.

From: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825810-a-way-too-early-look-at-the-potential-2020-nfl-draft-qb-class#slide6

(written in May)

Michigan's Shea Patterson may not push himself into the first-round conversation by next year, but he does possess some intriguing qualities. He's athletic, can excel on the run or from the pocket, has adequate size (6'2", 205 lbs) and has flashed good accuracy at times—he completed 64.6 percent of his passes in 2018.

Patterson is also an intelligent signal-caller, as Matt Miller explained.

"I think, from an evaluation standpoint, he has enough tools and he's a smart enough quarterback and that could really help him. He could push up through the (draft) process," Miller told Nick Baumgardner of the Detroit Free Press in December, with Patterson mulling declaring for the 2018 draft. "You're going to test well, you're going to interview well. You could probably push yourself up throughout."

However, Patterson isn't a high-volume quarterback—he had just 325 attempts and 2,600 yards in 2018; for comparison, Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins had 533 attempts—in Michigan's offense and isn't going to produce eye-popping numbers. He doesn't have any special traits either, which may lead teams to view him as a Case Keenum-, Cody Kessler- or Josh Dobbs-type prospect.

As a Raider fan living in CT, surrounded by New England fans, had this fantasy of Oakland clinching that 6 seed and going into New England on Wild Card weekend to take out Tom Brady and be the bookend to his career as a Patriot, which ironically they helped trigger with the tuck rule. But I digress...

very excited for 2020, draft picks, free agents, etc.  The Carr situation will be interesting. Agree that defense is what needs the most help, but in today's NFL you need an aggressive offense that can score points and between Carr not having a true WR1, and our lack of 2nd half adjustments this year, we need to see improvement with this as well. 

you can move....you can draft great.....but it's obvious the refs and the league have an agenda to screw you with a couple "blatant" bad calls every week....so it doesn't really matter what you do right...?....lol....

maybe with the move and a new year on the horizon.....a good raider fan new year's resolution could be to stop whining and complaining every week that the league "has it out" for them...

you can move....you can draft great.....but it's obvious the refs and the league have an agenda to screw you with a couple "blatant" bad calls every week....so it doesn't really matter what you do right...?....lol....

maybe with the move and a new year on the horizon.....a good raider fan new year's resolution could be to stop whining and complaining every week that the league "has it out" for them...
Do you piss in every NFL team's threads? Or just the Raiders thread? 

Don't feed the troll. I've been on this board for 19 years (like most of us) and I've only blocked one person, Stinkin Ref. It's a shame there isn't enough Chiefs talk to keep this guy occupied.

since KC plays them twice a year, I visit the DEN/VEGAS/LAC threads to feel the vibe from the division opposition and talk a little smack on a message board.....all in good fun....never personal.....guess some are a little sensitive to that.... :shrug: ....just an awful lot of weekly whining in Raider thread about how the league "has it out for them"....I find that ongoing excuse/mindset interesting but also pretty lame....so worthy of some discussion...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feed the troll. I've been on this board for 19 years (like most of us) and I've only blocked one person, Stinkin Ref. It's a shame there isn't enough Chiefs talk to keep this guy occupied.
since KC has another bye this week....not much to talk about....

Was looking for the "2020 Oakland Raiders" thread and skimmed past. This is gonna take some getting used to.

But google image search the new stadium and its easy to quickly get psyched for the new digs in Vegas. 
Totally will take getting used to, just like it did when they were in the city of angels.

Regardless, from the Bay to LA to Vegas, Raiders till we die.

Playing in a slick Death Star definitely takes some of the edge off.

Super psyched to take the next step. This team is poised for excellence. Draft will add the last piece or two we need to take the league by storm.

Just win, baby.

Does Jon bring on Jay to staff?

When asked Jay basically said he wants to be a HC and may sit a year if he doesn't get it. When asked directly about the Raiders he basically ssid he didn't think so as Jon had a full staff but them said something along the lines of needing to look at it if it was offered. 

I don't think any team is going to offer him HC. He may get an OC offer with another team. I don't think Jon will bounce Olsen but we ran without a QB coach this year. I can see bringing Jay in as QB/AHC position to add to the offensive staff. I think it would be a great fit and add for us. 

Totally will take getting used to, just like it did when they were in the city of angels.

Regardless, from the Bay to LA to Vegas, Raiders till we die.

Playing in a slick Death Star definitely takes some of the edge off.

Super psyched to take the next step. This team is poised for excellence. Draft will add the last piece or two we need to take the league by storm.

Just win, baby.
Was in Vegas in October. I wanted to head over but didn't have time so all I saw was it from the freeway at night. Still looked awesome. LOOKS like a Raider stadium which is cool. It has that Raider character. Totally amped up for the move. 

:lmao: ....that is pure gold....welp there it is....all the proof you need....I guess that settles that....Rog has gotta do something now....how could he argue with any of that... :lmao:
Pretty sure that was going to be your response no matter what that link contained.

Pretty sure that was going to be your response no matter what that link contained.
yeah its just weird to think that the league has "secretly" passed on to 112 + officials every year to make sure they screw the Raiders whenever they have their games....wonder how exactly that gets communicated to them....and not one of them over all these years has ever said anything about it.....weird....

I honestly think there’s some unconscious bias against teams wearing black. You know "black outfit" = bad guys. 
I thought I saw some study on that. Will google now...

I honestly think there’s some unconscious bias against teams wearing black. You know "black outfit" = bad guys. 
now they (the refs) are doing it....but they just don't know they are doing it.....sweet

but then that would only explain about half of their games each year....so what about the other half....

now they (the refs) are doing it....but they just don't know they are doing it.....sweet

but then that would only explain about half of their games each year....so what about the other half....
Trying to have a civil, logical conversation here. Try to keep up. 

Here’s a hockey related one from 2012 about dark jersey’s teams getting more penalties that light jerseys.

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/26/151383136/power-dis-play-teams-in-black-draw-more-penalties

But this one is more interesting from Psychology Today article from 2016 with this quote "The results revealed that, when seeing the same play, referees were more likely to call a penalty against a team when it wore black uniforms compared to white uniforms."

full article here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/attitude-check/201610/do-uniform-colors-matter-in-sports

joey said:
It is reputation or rather confirmation bias. The Raiders have had the reputation of being the bad boys and having lots of penalties so the refs are looking for those penalties whether they exist or not. 

I have no explanation for the outright bad calls like the non-TD's or bad placing of the balls etc.

One of the best developments of 2019 was the growth of Kolton Miller this year. He had only 4 penalties and gave up 7 sacks and 25 QB hurries, nearly half of what he gave up last year. Having him at LT lets the Raiders keep Brown at RT, and that gives them an advantage over other teams. Also, Brown needs to stay healthy next year, its only an advantage if he is on the fields. If Miller improves on 2019 it'll take all the sting out of passing on Derwin James.

Just super stoked that I dont have to change any of my Raiders gear, cuz none of it says Oakland. Logo is sacred and long lasting, thank god they never put the city in the logo.

🤢 🤮 

I feel for my east bay peeps. The Raider Nation gets a lot of grief, but they’re good fans. Dedicated fans. They come out for good teams & bad, and throw 1000% of their support behind the shield. And they  deserve better than to be abandoned for a 2nd time. 

F Mark Davis. His last words about Oakland fans were just a slap in the face to a fan base that’s long supported him. He is clueless, broke & incompetent. He took a 700M bribe because he didn’t have the backbone to admit he couldn’t afford to keep the team his dad built.

60+% of my friends are Raiders fans. Maybe 10% have said they’ll go to see them in Vegas. About 1/2 say they’ll continue to root for them. The rest are just absolutely gutted by this. 

I have no explanation for the outright bad calls like the non-TD's or bad placing of the balls etc.
Al Davis. 

he’s sues the league multiple times, and he was always a thorn in the commissioner’s paw. 

that lawsuit against the TB Bucs when they changed their logo? Yeah. That’s just one of dozens.

the NFL hates the Raiders & will continue to punish them with terrible officiating. The non-TD on review was mind-bogglingly bad. To the point that it was blatantly obvious that the Raiders were getting jobbed.

Derick Carr probably loses ~5 TDs a year by being a Raider. Maybe more. As a Carr dynasty owner I hope they trade him to literally anywhere else. 

Users who are viewing this thread