What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

Alright, I give up....

John Roberts
@johnrobertsFox
After telling @FoxNews  that his father had a preliminary POSITIVE test for coronavirus, Eduardo Bolsonaro now tells @FoxNews  the test was NEGATIVE. Bolsonaro says has been in touch with the White House.
Weird. What's difficult to get straight about that? 

Rudy Gobert may have been a dope but his inconsiderate actions may saved some lives.
Son, we live in a world that has sports, and those sports have to be cancelled by men with germs. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the playoffs, and you curse the interviews. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that my actions, while stupid, probably saved lives; and my infection, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want my hands on those microphones -- you need my hands on those microphones.

We use words like "social distancing," "flattening the curve," "karma." We use these words as the backbone of a few minutes spent cancelling something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very cancellations that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way.

Son, we live in a world that has sports, and those sports have to be cancelled by men with germs. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the playoffs, and you curse the interviews. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that my actions, while stupid, probably saved lives; and my infection, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want my hands on those microphones -- you need my hands on those microphones.

We use words like "social distancing," "flattening the curve," "karma." We use these words as the backbone of a few minutes spent cancelling something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very cancellations that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way.
***HUGS***

Looks like we caught the little ####er in Canada, now we learn how to kill it on a mass scale 

https://sunnybrook.ca/research/media/item.asp?c=2&i=2069&f=covid-19-isolated-2020
How is this different than the Chinese sharing the full genome on 2/25?  Is this a step forward somehow?
Found another article that better explains the Canadian team's research goals. The original article linked heavily implied that the Canadian team essentially "discovered" the virus and that the virus had been eluding detection since the outbreaks started.

Rather, the virus-isolation that the Canadian team was something more like a genetic sampling to detect an individual mutated strain. This has been done several times by teams in China, Australia, Italy, and elsewhere. However, this kind of sampling is still important work in keeping track of the virus's mutation types/rates and for anti-viral/nascent vaccine research .

one more thing that i stocked up on that I'm not sure has been mentioned - oatmeal. 

if for some reason dairy becomes scarce due to transportation/ pricessing issues,  you can still have some morning carbs if you're so inclined. 

Oatmeal and raisins have an extended shelf life too.

Some jerkoff on the other side of the office is coughing up a lung.  It's a wet cough though so that's not corona right?  

Maybe they want to be responsible. 🤷‍♀️
I think it's part that, part CYA, and part keeping business as long as possible.  

Had a few people say they will come in here more vs another place since they see we are taking precautions.  Meanwhile one of the employees just showed me a pic of a Dairy Queen in the town up the road he lives at post a sign that said they will refuse service to anybody they think might have it.  :oldunsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
one more thing that i stocked up on that I'm not sure has been mentioned - oatmeal. 

if for some reason dairy becomes scarce due to transportation/ pricessing issues,  you can still have some morning carbs if you're so inclined. 

can add frozen fruit, dried fruit, cinnamon, or peanut butter, etc.   Many ways to make it.   I'm stocked up on it too.

there's a work from home thread set up already... not sure if it's a questions and answers thing yet, but seems like it mgith as well be.
I've seen that thread before ... gets bumped every few weeks or so. Will go bump it when I get caught up here.

Experts say kids and teenagers are great carriers.  And when they visit grandma and grandpa they kill them. They are a part of the community spread and they tend to be less careful.
Well ... don't have kids go visiting Grandma and Grandpa, then. Got to adjust to the changing conditions, even when it's hard and heartbreaking.

May have already been mentioned (impossible to keep up with every page of this thread), but now that we may all have a lot more time on our hands, The Great Influenza by John Barry is a fantastic book.
One of my favorites. Great recommendation. 

Thank you!!  I work for a Fortune 40 Company and my daughter for an huge lending institution so we are very well supported, we both presume (on a call last evening, it was mentioned the company has close to 90K VPN Portals (I think)?).  Reading your post, it would seem that living in the EST, it would make sense to do the most online early in the morning to avoid major traffic.  
Yes, indeed -- good post. Timing considerations like you mention will also help manage VPN load.

Just saw a picture online of Traders Joes in Pasadena (about 6 miles from me) showing empty shelves and saying that the store is completely out of all frozen foods, most canned goods, along with rice and pasta.

Some jerkoff on the other side of the office is coughing up a lung.  It's a wet cough though so that's not corona right?  
Yeah, if you're confident it's a wet cough -- and especially if the guy has post-nasal drip causing the cough -- you can all but rule out COVID.

@ConanOBrien 23h

Lori Loughlin is wondering how the Coronavirus got into Princeton and her kid didn’t.
No jokes please, people getting banned over that and I'd hate to lose you.

Probably not but as @Grace Under Pressure mentioned, what's difficult about "if you are not feeling well, stay home"? Just went through this earlier in the week with a coworker and we all eventually shamed him into going home. Not in a bad way but I guarantee he would have been here everyday this week had we not all said something to him. And it still took 30 minutes before he finally acquiesced and left. Doctor gave him a Z-pack and steroids for the chest infection he was sporting.

Chinese billionaire Jack Ma has made a huge donation to get the world tests. He's now the leading provider of tests for the US by a huge magnitude. We are depending on a foreign billionaire right now. 
This is a case where the ambition for raw cash will benefit the fight against COVID. Jack Ma knows that a U.S. in severe economic turmoil is really bad for business, even while the Chinese Communist Party can't help but get digs in at the U.S.

Not slagging on the guy at all -- Ma is stepping in and helping while his country's government is more concerned with scoring geopolitical points.

I just left Publix with a bunch of oatmeal, raisins, and coffee...breakfast is easy to overlook.

Primarily opens up a huge pool of emergency funding, similar to a disaster relief area after a hurricane, tornado, etc.  
Probably to access the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance program. Billions sitting there that could be used right now. It takes a Presidential Declaration to open the program. Good move.

Users who are viewing this thread