What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (18 Viewers)

Q: How long do you think it'll be before businesses can return to normal?

A: You serious, Clark?
Q: When will every american that wants to get a test be able to get a test? Right now only people with symptoms are told to get a test. Hold on before you answer while I send out a tweet about social distancing, flattening the curve, and not overwhelming healthcare network. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The virus has a ####### name. Call this behavior racist or whatever you want, but if you call it the "Chinese virus", "kung flu" or anything besides it's name you obviously have an agenda and want to tweak people. That's it. 

This conversation can't go on in here or people are going to get banned (on either side of the argument). I posted tweets in here just yesterday from Asian Americans suffering in their everyday lives due to people ignorantly spreading racism and fear via this tactic. It's effecting real people as other Americans who are scared and hateful look for an outlet for their anger.

You may not know you're doing it. You are. Stop it.

The virus has a ####### name. Call this behavior racist or whatever you want, but if you call it the "Chinese virus", "kung flu" or anything besides it's name you obviously have an agenda and want to tweak people. That's it. 

This conversation can't go on in here or people are going to get banned (on either side of the argument). I posted tweets in here just yesterday from Asian Americans suffering in their everyday lives due to people ignorantly spreading racism and fear via this tactic. It's effecting real people as other Americans who are scared and hateful look for an outlet for their anger.

Okay fine. But the point that was being made was that a press conference such as was just done isn't a helpful place to ask that question.

The virus has a ####### name. Call this behavior racist or whatever you want, but if you call it the "Chinese virus" or anything besides it's name you obviously have an agenda and want to tweak people. That's it. 

This conversation can't go on in here or people are going to get banned (on either side of the argument). I posted tweets just yesterday from Asian Americans suffering in their everyday lives due to people ignorantly spreading racism via this tactic. It's effecting real people as other Americans who are scared and hateful look for an outlet for their anger.

Yeah he wants to tweak the Chinese government that hid this ####### virus from the world for over a month but yeah let's all get offended at the word used instead of the real culprits in this case. 

Okay fine. But the point that was being made was that a press conference such as was just done isn't a helpful place to ask that question.

That's not the point you made at all. You said "not to reasonable people, no". 

I'll drop it bc I think I got my point across and it's going to destroy the thread.

You have to take breaks.  Played Euchre online with 3 of my buddies for 1.5 hours last night.  First time we've ever done that.  Got my mind off things that's for sure.
yeah i went for a nice walk today. i usually workout for an hour then cardio for 30 more so thats been helping

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
One thing that is nice re: FDA is that today's FDA approves more drugs than ever. 

I had never seen the FDA approve a drug that had an adcom meeting that voted to not approve. 8-5 against approval and recommended a phase 3 study. Only a phase 2 study had been completed. This FDA approved it.

Now obviously a different scenario as it was  an RRMM drug, but still shows they are bold. 

Btw

A company is starting to sell take at home tests starting March 23. They will cost $135 and require a prescription (you fill out a few questions online and the doctor reviews and approves or denies).

Yeah he wants to tweak the Chinese government that hid this ####### virus from the world for over a month but yeah let's all get offended at the word used instead of the real culprits in this case. 

(Even in the unlikely event you are correct or that this could have ANY positive outcome) you think it's acceptable to harm everday Americans with words used in an address to those Americans, in an effort to "tweak" a foreign power that could give a #### about being "tweaked" by our president? Please. 

Edit: nvm. This is my last take on this before the mod squad comes in and rightly sets the thread back on course. 

But we need to also just not allow drive-by (even if accidental/unintentional due to ignorance) racism in here by letting the "chinese virus" crap go unchallenged. Just don't perpetuate that, folks. 

I'm part German. If we were offended by it you'd know it. :angry:

Anyway, to be clear, I'm agreeing that calling it the Chinese Virus isn't helpful either.
He's clearly taking a dig at the Chinese government and not Chinese people but everyone loves to get offended these days so doesn't shock me. 

(Even in the unlikely event you are correct or that this could have ANY positive outcome) you think it's acceptable to harm everday Americans with words used in an address to those Americans, in an effort to "tweak" a foreign power that could give a #### about being "tweaked" by our president? Please. 
Americans <> Chinese

Hth

Oh, and the other 2 employees in our office who take the BUS to work and sit in the same air-space.
Still haven't seen hard evidence from corroborated and repeated studies (would need several, not just one or two) that have indicated "sharing air" from several feet away is at all risky, absent coughing/sneezing fits.

Now, the interior surfaces of buses are publicly-touched all over, typically ... so one needs to wash/sanitize hands frequently. And if the bus is packed like a sardine can, then yeah ... you can't get your social distance.

I've been saying we should call it "Wet Market Virus" to give more attention to what creates these things.  The facts are though that it came from China and the China government and a certain segment of the Chinese population are responsible for allowing Wet Markets and making it legal to farm wild animals for these markets.  Holding China responsible for this ia an agenda I'm firmly behind.

I salute Spectrum giving Wi-Fi away to any family in NYC with a K-12 child so they can participate in the online classes starting Monday:

WiFi
Spectrum said starting Monday, it will provide free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 students and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395

I've been saying we should call it "Wet Market Virus" to give more attention to what creates these things.  The facts are though that it came from China and the China government and a certain segment of the Chinese population are responsible for allowing Wet Markets and making it legal to farm wild animals for these markets.  Holding China responsible for this ia an agenda I'm firmly behind.
And that position is really, really super duper helpful. So thanks!!!

Elon Musk in the midst of some tweeting bravado says on twitter he'll start manufacturing ventilators as soon as there's a shortage, that it would take some time but not be difficult given the complex hvac systems they design for Tesla and the life support systems SpaxeX makes...crickets when people from all over link him to examples of just that happening, and more examples to come. DiBlasio reached out as well, even, and said he'd follow up directly.

Curious to see if this comes to anything...do American billionaires with the facilities and means actually end up partaking in the direly needed charity everyone thinks they're so good for if you let them hoard their wealth the rest of the time? We'll see.
During the Thai-cave-diving rescue in 2018, Elon Musk interjected himself by talking about how he has a mini-submarine that the rescuers could use to get everyone out. One of the world cave-diving experts (probably 1 of a half-dozen at his level in the world) that was on the ground in Thailand kindly (initially) asked Musk to stand aside and that his mini-sub would not be needed. After a little more back and forth, Musk proceeded to slander the guy on Twitter and deliver his mini-sub to Thailand anyway. IIRC, his mini-sub was still too big to fit through some of the bottlenecks they needed to get the kids through ... so Musk's sub was never used, and indeed was never seriously considered by the rescuers.

Musk should do more like Chinese billionaire Jack Ma -- work quietly behind the scenes, then only make an announcement when positive action is imminent. Ma was behind the delivery of 1,000,000 COVID test kits to the U.S. earlier this week.

A few notes from suburban Twin Cities:

- I've never seen so many people out walking. I live directly across the street from the park and the number of people walking through the park has increased a ton in the last week. Interestingly, most people seem to be keeping their distance from one another. I haven't seen groups of kids, people standing next to one another when talking, or any other pre-COVID behaviors as I watch out my window.

- What I am seeing in my neighborhood differs greatly from what I see from my car window. I was just out driving this morning (as my kid had to pick something up at his school - he did so with precautions) the parking lot at Target was packed and people seemed to be going about normal business. No distancing in the parking lot, no masks, etc. I'm also seeing a bunch of Facebook posts from people who are still gathering with friends, partying, etc. I'm shocked and appalled at the lack of concern shown by some (these are primarily people in their 40s).

- As my family is distancing, I've found that I REALLY enjoy being in the car. Going for a drive is currently one of my favorite things to do. Even my quick drive to the school and back this morning was wonderful. If the Twin Cities goes into full lockdown mode, being unable to go for a drive would be very frustrating.

- To echo the experience of many, my Mom and my In-Laws are not taking this seriously (70s). They are still having happy hour with friends, group dinners, etc. My Mom has a hair appointment scheduled for next week that she is telling me she will keep. When I dared suggest she cancel it, she responded, "What, am I supposed to go six months without a haircut?" Yes, Mom. Yes you are.

- Finally, I just logged onto a couple of local grocery store websites to see how their curbside pick-up was looking. One is not taking any appointments. The other is scheduling out to next Tuesday at this point. So it is available but we need to plan ahead a bit if we need anything (which thankfully we don't right now).

Well whether the FDA is officially behind the use of it or not, US hospitals have already begun using it. UW (Washington) hospitals already on record that they're providing it to their patients who are hospitalized with CV19.
FDA probably has meetings scheduled for next month on its use. If someone is in bad shape and may not make it, it seems this needs administered immediately.

Still haven't seen hard evidence from corroborated and repeated studies (would need several, not just one or two) that have indicated "sharing air" from several feet away is at all risky, absent coughing/sneezing fits.

Now, the interior surfaces of buses are publicly-touched all over, typically ... so one needs to wash/sanitize hands frequently. And if the bus is packed like a sardine can, then yeah ... you can't get your social distance.
Yes, 100% poor choice of phrase on my part. I did not intend that as a claim that this disease has an airborne transmission.

the moops said:
Singapore is likely the cleanest city in the world. It is illegal to litter and spit and smoke in public. We are gosh darn monsters compared to them
Not sure if it's illegal to chew gum there but you can't buy any.

Same.  I can catch up with stuff as it spills in.

:sadbanana:

In a COVID-less world, I would have taken today and tomorrow off and woulda been hunkered down at a bar/grill to watch everything.
yeah im supposed to be at a gaming conference in SF this week getting open bar treatment from EPIC games. times have changed quickly

Many of us have hypertension. Does it matter if it's being successfully treated, as far as death rates?

Many of us have hypertension. Does it matter if it's being successfully treated, as far as death rates?
Same for me. We had a discussion about this sometime last week ... IIRC, @Terminalxylem found out that untreated hypertension was the risk factor, not merely being a hypertension patient who is managing with medicine.

Could have been @Tecumseh , @ProstheticRGK , or @ghostguy123. Pretty sure it was Terminalxylem, though.

Users who are viewing this thread