What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

Just got back from the grocery. Removed all perishables from the car and did, in fact, wipe with them down with alcohol before putting them into the fridge. Non-perishables are still in the car to sit in the hot car for a bit— will bring them in later.

A week ago, I’d have said that was overkill. Probably is. But I’m not living for myself these days, most especially now.
Why does sitting in a hot car matter?
Might not. Around 132 F (56 C) kills the coronavirus - it's on WHO's website, I linked to it the other day. Don't feel like digging it up now.

What I don't know is the time frame -- 132 F for a few minutes? A few hours? A few days? I left the non-perishables in the sun-baked car for about 3 hours. Interior temps might have been 120, might have been 140, dunno. Basically, it was a way to avoid having to wipe down EVERYTHING. I had to get the perishables into the house ASAP -- wife insisted on a wipedown. But if I would have had to wipe down every article I bought, it would have taken hours. I'm kind of mentally inclined not to, anyway ... but I don't need the strife.

Now, with Terminalxylem's latest info, I have mental license to not concern myself overly with wiping down groceries. Might do it here and there upon request from family members, but I'm not going to stress about it. I will wash hands after handling food containers as a rule, however -- was already doing that.

Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread.  Everyone.

I like to hear how different parts of the country are reacting, what local governments are doing, etc.  Very interesting and helpful.  

I live in a more rural area in Wisconsin, but am fairly close to Madison and Milwaukee. Have family in Milwaukee.  Have family in Minnesota.  So, I really like hearing how the different states are handling things.  Milwaukee is eerily quiet.  

Everything is pretty chill here.  People respecting each other.  Taking precautions, but I don't think the populace as a whole totally grasps what could be on the horizon. Small town.

It is nice to have this forum and thread to see what is really happening in America.  So, please keep up the posts.  Personally, I like to hear the personal posts like icon shared about the travel papers.  Stuff we are not hearing on the big news sites.

Thanks again, and I hope and pray everyone stays safe!

One argument against national lockdown - the US is very regional. Maybe every metro/state should have its own flexibility to determine its own measures. Not everywhere is NYC. 
The argument against is similar to argument people were making a few days ago where I live which is a suburb of Dallas.  Dallas County shut down but our county did not for a few days later. So what you have is people simply driving over to our county to eat out, go to bars, hit the gym,  get a haircut, etc, etc, and a lot of people were I live were very frustrated they did not order a shutdown until we started getting more positive cases.

I get driving from county to county is easier then region to region but to some degree I think that's the problem we'd run into and are already seeing to some extent.

I get your beef with one, but in theory Costco runs are to stock up on food and supplies.   If they haven't, they really need to implement throttling the crowds somehow though and minimizing the number of people in the store.   0 reason for there to be 100s of people in any store at this point.  
Went to our Costco today.  They are limiting occupants to some amount, I'm not sure, guessing 250.  It was awesome, so much room to move around.  And pretty much fully stocked with everything, and this was at about 2:00.

I am 45 years old. I am scared as #### about getting this. I would take the flu every year for the rest of my life if it would spare me of contracting Covid-19
Same here. I'm twenty pounds overweight with diabetes and high blood pressure. I just -- and I mean a week before all of this hit -- got diagnosed in a yearly physical. Scared as #### of getting it doesn't even begin to describe my attitude.

I’m of the opinion that we lock it down for a few weeks so agree with the steps that CA gov took.

Aren’t the vast majority of people practicing the stay at home policy?
Are you kidding?  You'd be pissed if you went out today.   Nobody heard Jay's plea yesterday.  Home Depot was packed, I stood in line at the butchers and stopped by the brewery for some growlers. Food trucks outside. If you didnt know better it looked like a regular Saturday in Maple Valley.  I saw packs of kids riding bikes, teenagers stuffed in cars going through the drive threw. One guy, one single guy wearing a respirator at Home Depot was the only tell I saw. Everything else totally normal. 10+ people easy at the RC car park, half of them kids. 

One argument against national lockdown - the US is very regional. Maybe every metro/state should have its own flexibility to determine its own measures. Not everywhere is NYC. 
While that’s true, Ohio has done pretty well with hard shutdowns early. Would be great if more states were that proactive, and hopefully Ohio continues to be diligent and locks it down even harder given the anecdotal story recently shared here.

If the whole nation was more like Ohio perhaps NYC wouldn’t be NYC. Heck the mayor of NYC was working out in a public gym 5 days ago.

Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread.  Everyone.

I like to hear how different parts of the country are reacting, what local governments are doing, etc.  Very interesting and helpful.  

I live in a more rural area in Wisconsin, but am fairly close to Madison and Milwaukee. Have family in Milwaukee.  Have family in Minnesota.  So, I really like hearing how the different states are handling things.  Milwaukee is eerily quiet.  

Everything is pretty chill here.  People respecting each other.  Taking precautions, but I don't think the populace as a whole totally grasps what could be on the horizon. Small town.

It is nice to have this forum and thread to see what is really happening in America.  So, please keep up the posts.  Personally, I like to hear the personal posts like icon shared about the travel papers.  Stuff we are not hearing on the big news sites.

Thanks again, and I hope and pray everyone stays safe!
@pricklypete - where you at?  I am about 15 min NW of Madison in Lodi.   I know last week there was a + at a church in Sun Prairie and there were quickly a handful of +s after that, but I haven't heard any updates since then.  

The bolded is mostly what I encounter around here.  Seems like most think this is a problem for the bigger cities if even that.  Like I have posted in here, about 1/3 of the people I work with in the morning mostly think this is a joke and are actively pissed about the changes we are doing.   

Are you kidding?  You'd be pissed if you went out today.   Nobody heard Jay's plea yesterday.  Home Depot was packed, I stood in line at the butchers and stopped by the brewery for some growlers. Food trucks outside. If you didnt know better it looked like a regular Saturday in Maple Valley.  I saw packs of kids riding bikes, teenagers stuffed in cars going through the drive threw. One guy, one single guy wearing a respirator at Home Depot was the only tell I saw. Everything else totally normal. 10+ people easy at the RC car park, half of them kids. 
So you yourself went to 3 different stores and complain about others?

BREAKING: 21 people incarcerated at Rikers Island have tested positive for #COVID19 — as well as a similar number of staff. Population in infectious disease unit has doubled from 28 to 56 in past 4 days. @NYCMayor response is totally insufficient to full blown crisis

#### #### ####

You may die, and be fine with thst. But it is not about you, you selfish #####
Did you miss the part where I haven't left my house in a week and half jerkoff?     I think it's stupid, this is media driven panic, but DrJ abides. 

Oh and I won't be getting any stimulus either because I make too much money, but I was planning to give it out in big tips and hire people out of work to do stuff around my house with it if I did.    I'm so terrible.... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Deaths in NY are around 0.7% compared to 8% in Italy. At this point I think it's unwise to compare anywhere to Italy. 
i hope i'm wrong, but i don't think we've really gotten to the timeline where people start dying, in the US.  that's why i keep saying, the next 2 weeks will be telling  

There's no way we're gonna be locked down until September. China is already starting to return to normal. So has SK and Japan. People keep seeming to ignore that. 
You seem to be ignoring the levels they had to take to be able to get to "start to return to normal" after a couple months.   Do you think anywhere in the US is taking steps close to what those countries did?   Also, I think people are putting to much stock into the phrase "return to normal" and are thinking that it's business as usual for some of those places.  It's not like they are living life exactly like they were at the end of 2019 or anything.  

Optimism is good. Stating being not worried in the slightest? Not good
The death rate for 40-49 year olds is 0.4%. Being scared as #### (your words) of something you have a 99.6% chance of surviving is not good. The stress will kill you before the virus. 

Went to our Costco today.  They are limiting occupants to some amount, I'm not sure, guessing 250.  It was awesome, so much room to move around.  And pretty much fully stocked with everything, and this was at about 2:00.
Cool. Is this Fields Ertel Costco or Tri-County Costco?

ETA: close to needing a quick run so this info is helpful

@pricklypete - where you at?  I am about 15 min NW of Madison in Lodi.   I know last week there was a + at a church in Sun Prairie and there were quickly a handful of +s after that, but I haven't heard any updates since then.  

The bolded is mostly what I encounter around here.  Seems like most think this is a problem for the bigger cities if even that.  Like I have posted in here, about 1/3 of the people I work with in the morning mostly think this is a joke and are actively pissed about the changes we are doing.   

Hello somewhat neighbor!  Jefferson County.  We have 1 confirmed case.  Dane to the west and Waukesha/Milwaukee to the east with decent amount of cases in each.  

I know Lodi and the area from coaching basketball.  We are in very similar towns. I think this whole region has pretty much the same mindset.  At least in the smaller towns.  

He needs to do what CA and NY have done. Surprised he hasn't since he's 1 of the big 3.

While that’s true, Ohio has done pretty well with hard shutdowns early. Would be great if more states were that proactive, and hopefully Ohio continues to be diligent and locks it down even harder given the anecdotal story recently shared here.

If the whole nation was more like Ohio perhaps NYC wouldn’t be NYC. Heck the mayor of NYC was working out in a public gym 5 days ago.
I agree. Minnesota was pretty quick too and I’m glad for it. Just to be clear I’m pro locked down earlier than most people because by the time you see it’s a crisis it’s kind of too late. But I also don’t want to have a nationally imposed shut down when NYC is a hotspot but others may not be. 

Either way the federal government has been completely derelict in its duties in the last month and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better.

To a very very small percentage of healthy 40 year olds. 
read this and see if it changes your mind any... it's just one of many accounts that should change your mind. I'm not advocating panic by any means, but if you aren't at least mildly concerned by this point, then you haven't done much meaningful research IMO. I'm 43, in perfect health, and in the best shape I've ever been in in my whole life, and I'll admit, it makes me a little nervous 

This respiratory therapist treats coronavirus in New Orleans. He says the virus is a lot worse than you think.

i hope i'm wrong, but i don't think we've really gotten to the timeline where people start dying, in the US.  that's why i keep saying, the next 2 weeks will be telling  
I understand that but even if we jump to an ungodly 3% that's still not in the same stratosphere as italy. 

The death rate for 40-49 year olds is 0.4%. Being scared as #### (your words) of something you have a 99.6% chance of surviving is not good. The stress will kill you before the virus. 
Yes but there are people in that age range that would likely die that are otherwise living because they needed and received proper medical treatment. I expect that percentage to start sky rocketing the more hospitals get overwhelmed and not everyone can get proper and timely treatment.

Hello somewhat neighbor!  Jefferson County.  We have 1 confirmed case.  Dane to the west and Waukesha/Milwaukee to the east with decent amount of cases in each.  

I know Lodi and the area from coaching basketball.  We are in very similar towns. I think this whole region has pretty much the same mindset.  At least in the smaller towns.  
If your state shut it down hardcore for 3-4 weeks instead of being complacent you could be South Korea instead of Italy. No shtick. 

So you yourself went to 3 different stores and complain about others?
Sure, under shelter rules you can make essential trips. But keep in mind we arent under shelter rules in WA. 

Home depot - I had to fix a septic, possible bio-hazard issue. 

Butcher - you have to eat. 

Beer - it's right next to the butcher, had to see what the hubbub was about. 

You seem to be ignoring the levels they had to take to be able to get to "start to return to normal" after a couple months.   Do you think anywhere in the US is taking steps close to what those countries did?   Also, I think people are putting to much stock into the phrase "return to normal" and are thinking that it's business as usual for some of those places.  It's not like they are living life exactly like they were at the end of 2019 or anything.  
I think NY shutting nearly everything down in the last week will definitely flatten the curve. I know optimism is frowned upon in this thread. 

• Laughing
Reactions: DrJ
I told my wife last Saturday to buy two weeks worth of groceries because “we are 10 days behind Italy“ and she hadn’t ever heard that phrase before. Anyone who is paying attention knows what’s going to happen in the next few days but most people haven’t been paying attention. The federal government needs to make up for the relative lack of education in the populace.

Nice.   My parents/family are from the Jefferson/Fort/Cambridge area.    Be safe over there.   Not sure what you coach, but my son is in 7th grade basketball, so maybe we are bumping into each other and not knowing it.  (just now hopefully from 6' away.. ;)

read this and see if it changes your mind any... it's just one of many accounts that should change your mind. I'm not advocating panic by any means, but if you aren't at least mildly concerned by this point, then you haven't done much meaningful research IMO. I'm 43, in perfect health, and in the best shape I've ever been in in my whole life, and I'll admit, it makes me a little nervous 

This respiratory therapist treats coronavirus in New Orleans. He says the virus is a lot worse than you think.
No one account doesn't change my mind. Statistics still say 0.4% death rate for 40 year olds. I like my odds :shrug:

This is what I can’t reconcile about the U.S. response. There were examples to follow. We didn’t and still aren’t, and it’s absolutely confounding as to why. I guess it is naive to think people would do the right thing. When people say we don’t need the “nanny state”, that apparently isn’t true. Unfortunately we absolutely need it, at least in this case. 
Jan 24 - wasn't that around then when someone said it would go away like a miracle?

Users who are viewing this thread