What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (4 Viewers)

Tangent 1:   I always forget that too.   Can't believe people still go there.

Tangent 2:   my wife started her career as a CPA and was in the same "start class" as Best Buy's new-ish CEO (former CFO).   I can tell you quite definitively that she (they have a female CEO) is not someone I would have ever expected to be a CEO.  Big personality, but not terribly impressive.   Actually, on second thought, it makes more sense.
Best Buy has done a really nice job of repositioning itself in recent years. Check their stock and earnings. Their stores are broken into pods that have some really useful expertise/displays now. For instance, if you want to buy a new phone... you can go there and they have all of them on display + offer all the deals from the major providers on the spot. Likewise, they have Apple representatives in-house to display all the gadgets, provide advice, sell on the spot.

Ordering expensive electronics online is convenient, but they've done a really good job of making things available to see, feel and touch... and matching the prices you'd find on Amazon, Verizon, the Apple store or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plastic production is far more harmful to everybody than the few times people have become sick(if you can even find a single example) due to grocery tampering. 

Look at your average grocery store. Should all apples now come individual wrapped? Should twist ties be replaced with plastic cable ties? 
I think by the time this is all over there will be a lot of changes.

After 9/11 America made made several changes, some of them good, some of them "security theater".

I think we'll see the same type of things again - some for the better (even at the cost of a small bit of plastic) and some probably silly simply for the psychological or marketing benefit.

My point, however, was that there is already a "food tampering" crime and I'd like to see something other than "terrorist threat" for things like licking the outside of non-food packages.

Hoboken had its first case on March 13th, the day schools were starting to close and when the mayor urged everyone to self quarantine. Bars and restaurants were switched to takeout only that weekend. 

Grocery stores remained open and after the initial chaos, things have calmed down where I was able to restock quickly a couple days ago. 

From the short walks I've taken as my 3 year old rides her scooter a bit, pretty much everyone is following the "rules" and the number of people out is way down from where it was even a week ago. 

This is a densely populated city of probably 60,000, and while there's no subway system like NYC, people were commuting in packed PATH trains under the Hudson and in packed busses through the Lincoln tunnel. 

We're up to 20 cases in town as of last night. Social distancing is absolutely working and I only wish NYC took stronger measures sooner.  
Yes, this about NYC. Please take note across the country. If you come into contact with 0 other people, you can't get it from or give it to that non-existent person. If you come into contact with 1 person, it makes it worse, but if you come into contact with 3 other people and so do they, that can extrapolate out to like 400 contacts in like one or two series.  

Glimpse from the inside: ALL Best Buy Stores in PA are re-opening and requesting resumption of their regular daily FedEx Express pick up after initially suspending same.

:wall:
How is that even possible with the current orders from the governor? Aren’t they looking at huge fines or even the pulling of business licenses?
Are there things Best Buy sells or services they provide that qualify as essential? Are there businesses or work-from-home folks that have contracts with the Best Buy Geek Squad for some network support (or similar)?

And I guess components needed to work from home -- cables, monitors, routers, etc. -- got lumped in under "essential"?

So my university has received a shipment of 1,000 surgical masks (which our Wellness Center has been unable to otherwise obtain) from a former MBA student who is from China.  He's back in China, working as an attorney, and he had reached out to me a couple of weeks ago.  A very kind gesture on his part.   :thumbup:

Man, so many more people out in “lockdown” Austin than I’d have thought. Just before noon on Wednesday, and 50% normal traffic. Makes me furious. Most of these people should not be out.
I was watching groups of elderly going in to get coffee last week.  Just bizarre. 

Man, so many more people out in “lockdown” Austin than I’d have thought. Just before noon on Wednesday, and 50% normal traffic. Makes me furious. Most of these people should not be out.
Schools closed, bars/restaurants/theaters/gyms, all non-essential people mandated at home yet? The extreme social distancing measures coming in place early make a huge difference. How people don't get this yet is baffling, as has been said in here every day for what feels like weeks already.

I'm sure there are a lot of unnecessary trips being taken ... but just being outside of ones home, or just driving in a car -- those things themselves are not at all risky, are they? I was thinking it was much more necessary to avoid congregating in groups, and to keep six feet of distance from others ... actual social distancing.

IOW -- isn't "social distancing" a very different thing from "isolation at home"? I do know that a chunk of people will round off the corners and bend the guidance to their personal whims, though. I don't know if that's "a few" corner-cutters, or a lot, or what.

Are things Best Buy sells or services they provide that qualify as essential? Are there business of work-from-home folks that have contracts with the Best Buy Geek Squad for some network support (or similar)?

And I guess components needed to work from home -- cables, monitors, routers, etc. -- got lumped in under "essential"?
From what I read about the governor’s order, electronics repair is essential but sales is not. So the Geek Squad could still operate out of their stores, but the front of house sales floor would have to remain closed.

Are there things Best Buy sells or services they provide that qualify as essential? Are there businesses or work-from-home folks that have contracts with the Best Buy Geek Squad for some network support (or similar)?

I think the work from home stuff could be considered essential depending on how the local jurisdiction is defining that term.  New computers for people that suddenly need more tech to work from home, home office supplies, etc.  Given that all their physical location competitors have closed and Amazon has delayed shipping, I could see people needing to go there.  

How is that even possible with the current orders from the governor? Aren’t they looking at huge fines or even the pulling of business licenses?
Lots of loopholes it seems. We work with a handful of PA mfg companies and most have stayed open. One of the larger ones (200 people) that was closed for a few days just announced that they'll be fully operational tomorrow. Also saw that they issued 27 "warnings" to businesses in PA yesterday. No actual fines.

Yes, this about NYC. Please take note across the country. If you come into contact with 0 other people, you can't get it from or give it to that non-existent person. If you come into contact with 1 person, it makes it worse, but if you come into contact with 3 other people and so do they, that can extrapolate out to like 400 contacts in like one or two series.  
This isn't true.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
This isn't true.
Thinking fomites?

Do your doctor friends concern themselves with local hospitals being overrun with legit, critical cases of COVID?  If people are stupid, this is possible.. but no not an imminent concern.  They expect the curve to be flattened enough with the existing distancing/sheltering in place.

If not, do you know whether they think that they simply will never get enough cases locally to overwhelm your local healthcare system?  This is the case.  

Or else do they simply have great confidence in your local healthcare system's ability to take in as many extra patients as necessary to get through the worst of it?  Yes, they do.  Per the above context.

Had to go in yesterday and buy another chromebook for my kids to do zoom classes on.  They were sold out.  Costco had a couple left.

Still no news about the effectiveness of garlic...
This is from the WHO website under the Mythbusters section:

”Can eating garlic help prevent infection with the new coronavirus?

Garlic is a healthy food that may have some antimicrobial properties. However, there is no evidence from the current outbreak that eating garlic has protected people from the new coronavirus.”

So my wife called me to say that they had to "borrow" their respirator from their NICU unit.     Sad days my friends.   Oklahoma is setting up two main hospitals one in Tulsa and one in OKC to house the most serious cases to help with resources and have the most experienced people to help the sick.    All of my friends from the surgery department are helping in other areas of the hospitals since the elective cases have all been stopped.  

This is from the WHO website under the Mythbusters section:

”Can eating garlic help prevent infection with the new coronavirus?

Garlic is a healthy food that may have some antimicrobial properties. However, there is no evidence from the current outbreak that eating garlic has protected people from the new coronavirus.”
Does Dracula carry Covid?

This isn't true.
Correct. To specify, when I mentioned that you can't give it to a person that you don't come into contact with, I understand your point about fomites, but the overall point is the same. Do not come into contact with people if you can help it, at all. Parsing words isn't taking away from that overall point. Thanks for helping me clarify though. 

NEW?  wow
I think.  I wrote that as I was watching Cuomo's press conference.  That's what he had on his powerpoint.  Worldometer is only reporting 4,463 for New York though.  So I don't really know, it's possible his powerpoint was from the last 24 hours (since his last press conference yesterday morning) and worldometer only includes new reports for today, I'm not really sure.  

Both slightly lower than yesterday. Need to see this continue in the days ahead.
We are on a 6-day stretch in Italy where we are getting 5-6k new cases a day.  It's certainly good news that things seem to have leveled off.  But as long as they are getting 5k new cases a day, there's no end in sight to their quarantine. 

First time leaving house other than walks in 17 days... about to go 20 min drive to drop off excess surgical masks at a donation center. Have three boxes of 50 count surgical masks, and despite my paranoia I can’t abide front line workers facing shortages while I’m sitting on them.

Keeping a small box of 25, plus 6 N95 masks for use when leaving the house in the future. 
Went through storage yesterday and found an old box of 10 unopened N95 masks. Donated them to the local hospital (they need them more than I do).

1 hour ago, Doug B said:
Do your doctor friends concern themselves with local hospitals being overrun with legit, critical cases of COVID?  If people are stupid, this is possible.. but no not an imminent concern.  They expect the curve to be flattened enough with the existing distancing/sheltering in place.

If not, do you know whether they think that they simply will never get enough cases locally to overwhelm your local healthcare system?  This is the case.  

Or else do they simply have great confidence in your local healthcare system's ability to take in as many extra patients as necessary to get through the worst of it?  Yes, they do.  Per the above context.
(Assuming you are in or near San Antonio)

Given the city's population, it looks like you guys are actually doing all right at the moment. Maybe you area will escape the worst of it. Gotta keep up hope that the social distancing and general good sense helps keep that curve flattened in the SA are.

Correct. To specify, when I mentioned that you can't give it to a person that you don't come into contact with, I understand your point about fomites, but the overall point is the same. Do not come into contact with people if you can help it, at all. Parsing words isn't taking away from that overall point. Thanks for helping me clarify though. 
I didn't mean it to be a shot at you.  People need to be more aware of what surfaces they touch.  Doorknobs.  Mailboxes.  Packages/mail they receive.  Hopefully is not that much of a threat.  Better safe than sorry.

So my wife called me to say that they had to "borrow" their respirator from their NICU unit.     Sad days my friends.   Oklahoma is setting up two main hospitals one in Tulsa and one in OKC to house the most serious cases to help with resources and have the most experienced people to help the sick.    All of my friends from the surgery department are helping in other areas of the hospitals since the elective cases have all been stopped.  
Most of my surgeons are volunteering wherever they can between emergent cases. :thumbup:   

Lots of loopholes it seems. We work with a handful of PA mfg companies and most have stayed open. One of the larger ones (200 people) that was closed for a few days just announced that they'll be fully operational tomorrow. Also saw that they issued 27 "warnings" to businesses in PA yesterday. No actual fines.
LA has threatened to shut off power and water to businesses that do not comply.

I didn't mean it to be a shot at you.  People need to be more aware of what surfaces they touch.  Doorknobs.  Mailboxes.  Packages/mail they receive.  Hopefully is not that much of a threat.  Better safe than sorry.
No worries. You are correct and it's a great point to hammer home as well. I very much appreciate anyone who is sharing great advice like you are.

Italy reported 5210 new cases and 683 new deaths. They have basically been flat on new cases since Friday, which appears to be good news. Of course, who exactly knows how testing is going on in northern Italy given health care crisis there. 

Death numbers are awful but also flattening. 

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA

Users who are viewing this thread