Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

2 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Desantis: Huge amount of New Yorkers flying to Florida

While speaking Monday about whether he will lock down the state of Florida, Gov. Ron DeSantis said “huge amounts” of New Yorkers are flying to Florida despite the stay-at-home order they are currently under.

DeSantis said there were over 190 flights from the New York City area to Florida airports on Monday. 

“A lot of people fled the city and they’re going to stay with their parents, or they’re flying. We’re getting huge amounts of people flying in and we’re looking at how to address those flights,” DeSantis said.

New York City is making this so much worse..  horrible:no:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

nah, Gronk gotta get paid somehow.

seriously though, these lists of essential services are ridiculous.

Not really though.  Think about it, we need food, right?  So just the grocery stores?

Well, what about the companies that make and package the food?  The businesses that make and service the equipment used to make food and packaging would be necessary.  Well, those businesses need parts to make and service the machines.  And those companies need the raw materials and outside services to make the components.  And each and every one of those companies need payroll support, and IT support, janitorial support, and a whole slew of things that you probably wouldn't even have thought of.  

Now think about everything else associated with a grocery store.  The delivery and distribution, logistics, infrastructure, IT support, utilities supply, fincancial, etc.  Each of those things would have levels upon levels of supporting businesses.

And that's just food.  Think about hospitals, medical equipment manufacturers, gas stations, hardware stores (for emergencies).  Think about all of the supporting businesses that they rely on.  

The economy is really much more intertwined than people realize.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

While speaking Monday about whether he will lock down the state of Florida, Gov. Ron DeSantis said “huge amounts” of New Yorkers are flying to Florida despite the stay-at-home order they are currently under.

DeSantis said there were over 190 flights from the New York City area to Florida airports on Monday. 

“A lot of people fled the city and they’re going to stay with their parents, or they’re flying. We’re getting huge amounts of people flying in and we’re looking at how to address those flights,” DeSantis said.

This is pretty indicative of how the US leadership seems to be handling things. Wait, wait, act on it when it is too late. How many land, get off the planes, move out into FL to potentially spread the virus while the leaders there are "looking at how to address those flights"? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAA said:

Im 75% sure I had it back in early Feb.  When the anti-body tests come out Ill be first in line.

Will this be widely available.  As I reported a long time ago in this thread, I had (what I thought to be) the flu around the third week of February.  I haven't had the flu like this in 30 years.  

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, jplvr said:

Georgia with no lock down, but banned gatherings of 10 or more. How that's enforceable, I don't know.

I can answer this. They can't and don't. It's up to people to do this themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Capella said:
35 minutes ago, the moops said:

Grr. 

Try living here 

I know. My brother lives on Sanibel. My folks are in Ft Myers.

My folks have been lying to us about staying in. Found out they went to the clubhouse to eat dinner at their stupid little golf course they live on. Apparently they asked the waitress if the menus are sanitized between each patron. She responded that is wasn't feasible to do (which in itself is ridiculous, for of course you can wipe down each menu after someone handles it). But they proceeded to eat their anyway. Their golf community is still keeping on like nothing is going on. Dudes play poker. Everyone is out hitting golf balls. They all eat at one of the two restaurants. They have ####### karaoke at the pool still. :angry:

Shut it down governor. Save people from their ignorance and arrogance

Edited by the moops
  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, DrJ said:

It actually is an answer because you could get numbers for the flu for each of those.   

You have to stop with the flu stuff, Dr.

It's much more contagious than the flu.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Edit: also in the article:   Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday that he will sign an executive order that will force anyone who travels from New York or New Jersey to Florida to self-isolate for two weeks immediately after they land in the state.

Is he calling it the New York flu?

• Like 6
  • Laughing 5
  • Thinking 2

Just now, cosjobs said:

Is he calling it the New York flu?

Fredo flu would be racist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jplvr said:

Fredo flu would be racist.

How about Kung Flu?

• Thinking 1

14 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

This is pretty indicative of how the US leadership seems to be handling things. Wait, wait, act on it when it is too late. How many land, get off the planes, move out into FL to potentially spread the virus while the leaders there are "looking at how to address those flights"? 

Where is the airline industry on this? It took only two days after 9/11 to resume air transport as they beefed up security checks, disallowed items like boxcutters, etc. People working in airports should be in Tyvek suits with full on respirators if necessary. Temp scan passengers and make them wear protective gear. Where is American ingenuity to make a tough situation workable and safer? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shuke said:

Not really though.  Think about it, we need food, right?  So just the grocery stores?

Well, what about the companies that make and package the food?  The businesses that make and service the equipment used to make food and packaging would be necessary.  Well, those businesses need parts to make and service the machines.  And those companies need the raw materials and outside services to make the components.  And each and every one of those companies need payroll support, and IT support, janitorial support, and a whole slew of things that you probably wouldn't even have thought of.  

Now think about everything else associated with a grocery store.  The delivery and distribution, logistics, infrastructure, IT support, utilities supply, fincancial, etc.  Each of those things would have levels upon levels of supporting businesses.

And that's just food.  Think about hospitals, medical equipment manufacturers, gas stations, hardware stores (for emergencies).  Think about all of the supporting businesses that they rely on.  

The Merengue March is essential.

25 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Edit: also in the article:   Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday that he will sign an executive order that will force anyone who travels from New York or New Jersey to Florida to self-isolate for two weeks immediately after they land in the state.

Come on, now. The Staten Island newlyweds need a honeymoon. 

*sigh*

42 minutes ago, jplvr said:

Georgia with no lock down, but banned gatherings of 10 or more. How that's enforceable, I don't know.

That’s the thing. Nothing is really enforceable. People are essentially on the honor system. And if people were doing it in the first place, they wouldn’t need an order. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jplvr said:

https://twitter.com/Stewartmoore/status/1242195606669537289?s=20

Desantis just travel banned New Yorkers. 14 day quarantine.

That is not a travel ban - that is self -isolate for 14 days....... unfortunately,  good luck enforcing that.  What they need to do is suspend all flights in and out of the NY/NJ area

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

This is open-and-shut unconstitutional.  Interstate commerce.

Not unconstitutional and Hawaii is also doing the same thing starting Thursday.   

Expecting a shelter-in-place order for Washington today with a 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the state.   

7 hours ago, Uncle CornCob said:

Anyone else hear info about the need for “travel papers” for essential workers in the near future?

I got some for my job but I'm definitely not an essential worker

57 minutes ago, the moops said:

I know. My brother lives on Sanibel. My folks are in Ft Myers.

My folks have been lying to us about staying in. Found out they went to the clubhouse to eat dinner at their stupid little golf course they live on. Apparently they asked the waitress if the menus are sanitized between each patron. She responded that is wasn't feasible to do (which in itself is ridiculous, for of course you can wipe down each menu after someone handles it). But they proceeded to eat their anyway. Their golf community is still keeping on like nothing is going on. Dudes play poker. Everyone is out hitting golf balls. They all eat at one of the two restaurants. They have ####### karaoke at the pool still. :angry:

Shut it down governor. Save people from their ignorance and arrogance

Want me to drive over and paper towel their golf course (TP is out of stock)?

Good article on the regulations and regulators that delayed testing - There's a good timeline in there also.

Unfortunately, the United States has not made testing widely available and now various regions are being forced to impose severe economic and social lockdowns. As of March 17, the U.S. had tested only about 125 people per million. South Korea had tested more than 5,000 people per million. Between early February and mid-March, the U.S. lost six crucial weeks because regulators stuck to rigid regulations instead of adapting as new information came in. While these rules might have made sense in normal times, they proved disastrous in a pandemic. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Not unconstitutional and Hawaii is also doing the same thing starting Thursday.   

Expecting a shelter-in-place order for Washington today with a 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the state.   

I almost drowned, twice, trying to drive home from Maui.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 2

1 hour ago, the moops said:

They have ####### karaoke at the pool still. 

Gasp.

1 hour ago, cosjobs said:

sigh. Its the right call. But sigh, anyway

You good?

• Thanks 1

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/19 - 164,646 reported cases - 6,800 dead - USA 14,299 cases - 218 dead

3/20 - 194,589 reported cases - 8,126 dead - USA 19,383 cases - 256 dead

3/21 - 225,885 reported cases - 9,771 dead - USA 26,112 cases - 325 dead

3/22 - 255,584 reported cases - 11,350 dead - USA 33,346 cases - 414 dead

3/23 - 297,299 reported cases - 13,221 dead - USA 43,449 cases - 545 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

Haven't been able to follow much that's happening today, but in these overall numbers, we still are showing no signs of slowing down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

THE INVISIBLE SCOURGE.  Jesus #### he really think we are stupid.   Or at least 40% of them

Edited by hammerva

He keeps saying “we are going to open it back up”

Wth is closed besides bars, restaraunts and some conctruction? Not that they’re not a big deal, I just don’t understand wtf he’s talking about

4 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

He keeps saying “we are going to open it back up”

Wth is closed besides bars, restaraunts and some conctruction? Not that they’re not a big deal, I just don’t understand wtf he’s talking about

Thanks. Who is he?

2 hours ago, Keerock said:

It's only informative if you can read Italian 😄 

They even published an English version.

Click the “infographic available in english link” on this page for updates.

@Ministry of Pain arguing medical data/science with @Terminalxylem in here is good comedy, given the former's infamous math skills (Or lack thereof), and the latter's well established technical proficiency on this topic. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

THE INVISIBLE SCOURGE.  Jesus #### he really think we are stupid.   Or at least 40% of them

Problem is...  he's right.

Posted (edited)

For anyone listening to or following Trump right now, realize there is a very real chance he's going to get you killed. There's 100% certainty that his words are going to kill some people...I truly hope none of you fall in this group out of sheer luck. 

eta: I'd happily sign up for 4 more years of Trump if he would switch course immediately, warn people how serious it is, lock #### down, and get our healthcare professionals everything they need. Not even a question. 

Edited by RUSF18
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, shuke said:

Everyone should listen to shuke on the topic of food distribution. 

GM on the other hand... well... he sucks. 

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Dezbelief said:

The flu doesn't cross your brain blood barrier.

Blood doesn't cross his blood-brain barrier.

• Laughing 10

1 hour ago, ericttspikes said:

Where is the airline industry on this? It took only two days after 9/11 to resume air transport as they beefed up security checks, disallowed items like boxcutters, etc. People working in airports should be in Tyvek suits with full on respirators if necessary. Temp scan passengers and make them wear protective gear. Where is American ingenuity to make a tough situation workable and safer? 

United is gearing up to eliminate employees if they don't get a juicy aid package.

1 hour ago, shuke said:

Our next guest on Supply Chain Radio....Is Shuke from the Internet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 3

1 hour ago, Parrothead said:

New York City is making this so much worse..  horrible:no:

To be fair, the lack of testing available was not NY's fault. It was hard to make decisions based on the data we had last week. 

But with the data we have now, I can't believe the city isn't on a full quarantine. It's multiple times worse that Italy. We are days, if not hours, away from seeing their hospitals become overrun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Just now, Cowboysfan8 said:

Sorry

Donald

Dude.  I thought you hated talking politics in here?  Or was that an alias?  Or are you answering for someone else?

Posted (edited)

And go figure.. I open a dating profile in February and we hit a global pandemic 😂😂

Edited by wazoo11
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 4
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Sandeman said:

I gotta say, I just don't understand why the Japanese and/or the IOC are holding on to the Olympics. Shocked it hasn't been canceled yet. Good for Canada pulling out. Sends the right message; others need to get on board. Jesus man. Ain't no way it happens.

Just like Kansas leaving the NCAAs. But Canada is probably more of a 4 seed in the summer Olympics. So maybe Duke.

Local news showing local restaurant that is now delivering. Guy going door to door and handing out bags of food and standing there talking to customers on their porch. Wtf???

Then they cut to weather. The weather lady says some local kids had a great idea to still play together. They were kicking a soccer ball across the street to each other. 

Wtf???