What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (2 Viewers)

Publix to install plexiglass barriers to protect cashiers

Florida grocer Publix announced it will be installing plexiglass barriers chain-wide to protect its workers from coronavirus.

The Lakeland company says installation will begin this weekend and take about two weeks to complete. The new barriers will go up at registers, customer service desks and pharmacies.

Publix’s decision to add the barriers comes two days after an employee from a Georgia store tested positive for COVID-19. 
New Seasons chain in the PNW had these installed over the weekend.  :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Publix to install plexiglass barriers to protect cashiers

Florida grocer Publix announced it will be installing plexiglass barriers chain-wide to protect its workers from coronavirus.

The Lakeland company says installation will begin this weekend and take about two weeks to complete. The new barriers will go up at registers, customer service desks and pharmacies.

Publix’s decision to add the barriers comes two days after an employee from a Georgia store tested positive for COVID-19. 
We’re getting similar in the pharmacy at Safeway and I’m pretty sure the cashiers as well.

What's up with the WorldoMeter stats for today? They seem way off. Showing only 200 something cases so far today.
It goes up all day. Yesterday, around 2:00 there were something like 5900 new cases reported, and the day ended at 11000.

And it's gone to 570 in the 7 minutes since you posted that.

It goes up all day. Yesterday, around 2:00 there were something like 5900 new cases reported, and the day ended at 11000.

Yep. To grasp just how things are going day to day, one needs to look at the YESTERDAY tab, instead of the NOW tab, because now is always changing until midnight. 

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA

Worldometers has been starting our day with like 2000+ new cases. I'd guess it was closer to 5000 by 11 am CDT yesterday. Worldometers starts their daily clock at GMT 0 which runs about 5 hours behind CDT, so U.S. cases posting after 7 pm CDT end up in the following day's statistics.

I'm glad the "Wal Mart Licker" was caught but I'm not sure how I feel about the charge of "Terrorist Threat". Absolutely NOT defending him or his behavior/crime. What he did is clearly wrong but it seems like what he did isn't what I normally perceive as a terrorist threat.
Needed to be charged with everything available. I dont care if he ends up in jail for years. Will send a message. People cant be worried about this. Enough panic as it is. 

Worldometer is different for the USA than other countries because in the USA states report individually.  Most other countries report at a national level.

Worldometers has been starting our day with like 2000+ new cases. I'd guess it was closer to 5000 by 11 am CDT yesterday. Worldometers starts their daily clock at GMT 0 which runs about 5 hours behind CDT, so U.S. cases posting after 7 pm CDT end up in the following day's statistics.
Ah, makes sense. 

Just jumped to 5000.

I know - but it starts updating the new day at midnight GMT. Usually at this time it is way more accurate and the numbers are way higher.

At 5000 new cases now, so it looks like reports coming in.

In the Era of MAGA, and "America First" and the promotion of Nationalism - why should the US and Europe come down hard on Asian countries looking after their own citizens before others?

Glad I scrolled back and saw your reply as I was just about to say the same thing.

So ditto and :goodposting:
I don't know about the mask buy-back specifically, but probably should be investigated given China's underhandedness in the whole thing.

Anyway, yes, when this is over China definitely deserves the anger and sanctions of the entire international community.  I won't hold my breath. 

Timeline: The early days of China's coronavirus outbreak and cover-up

Chinese scientists destroyed proof of virus in December

First time leaving house other than walks in 17 days... about to go 20 min drive to drop off excess surgical masks at a donation center. Have three boxes of 50 count surgical masks, and despite my paranoia I can’t abide front line workers facing shortages while I’m sitting on them.

Keeping a small box of 25, plus 6 N95 masks for use when leaving the house in the future. 

Called and may be a challenge to complete avoid human contact on drop-off, but will do my best to stay a safe distance.
Good on ya Ham, I hope everyone gives consideration to donating any excess medical supplies.

I paid a ridiculous premium for a box of 20 N-95 masks on Amazon a couple of weeks ago, I'm going to donate those today, along with a box of extra nitrile gloves.

I'm sure lots of places now have a local drop off spot to make such donations, e.g. below is the link for one in Columbus, OH:

https://www.10tv.com/article/ohio-state-wexner-medical-center-open-drop-site-medical-supply-donations-2020-mar

New, unopened/sealed items that will be accepted include:

• Masks — N-95 masks, surgical masks, procedure masks with or without face shields
  • Eyewear — medical or laboratory goggles and glasses
  • Shoe covers — medical or laboratory boot/shoe covers
  • Gowns — medical-grade protective gowns, isolation gowns
  • Gloves — nitrile exam gloves, surgical gloves
  • Bouffant caps
  • Hand sanitizer — greater than 60% alcohol
  • Sanitizer wipes

This is a masterful take down of your mis-representation of my posts.
You posted that your doctor friends weren't worried about the coronavirus itself, and that they felt they could capably treat a patient who has it (even with severe symptoms): Yes or No?

You posted that your doctor friends were worried about public reaction to the coronavirus and how it affects the rate of people coming into their offices, a glut of people presenting with mild, easily-explained everyday symptoms, etc.: Yes or No?

You didn't post anything about the following:

Do your doctor friends concern themselves with local hospitals being overrun with legit, critical cases of COVID?

If not, do you know whether they think that they simply will never get enough cases locally to overwhelm your local healthcare system?

Or else do they simply have great confidence in your local healthcare system's ability to take in as many extra patients as necessary to get through the worst of it?

I believe I had it starting Jan 27 and I had GI distress.  This is purely speculation and uncorroborated since I have not been tested.
I had a gnarly dry cough end of January that I still have the after effects of.  No real fever and no real GI distress.  I paranoid side of me says I had it.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
I believe I had it starting Jan 27 and I had GI distress.  This is purely speculation and uncorroborated since I have not been tested.
GI issues are a confirmed symptom.  Keep in mind that 40% of people show no symptoms whatsoever, perhaps more.  So of symptomatic people GI is relatively common at the onset, but you would expect it to be followed with other classic symptoms like chest congestion and/or fever.  
I've got a question.

What exactly does "shows no symptoms" or "asymptomatic" mean, in the context of coronavirus?

Does it mean "the person does not show any of the officially recognized symptoms of the disease, but still might have other symptoms"? Or does it mean "the person has not shown a single symptom at all"?

For example, what about the people early on who lost their sense of taste but otherwise felt exactly the same as usual. Would they have been counted as "asymptomatic"?

I always forget that Best Buy is even still in business.
Tangent 1:   I always forget that too.   Can't believe people still go there.

Tangent 2:   my wife started her career as a CPA and was in the same "start class" as Best Buy's new-ish CEO (former CFO).   I can tell you quite definitively that she (they have a female CEO) is not someone I would have ever expected to be a CEO.  Big personality, but not terribly impressive.   Actually, on second thought, it makes more sense.

In China, only patients showing symptoms and positive results in nucleic tests are included in the official tally of confirmed cases. Asymptomatic patients who have tested positive are monitored and placed under quarantine until they develop symptoms or turn negative in later tests.

The World Health Organization, however, says in its guideline that "a person with laboratory confirmation of COVID-19 infection, irrespective of clinical signs and symptoms" should be counted as a confirmed case. 

The risk posed by asymptomatic cases has drawn significant attention in China in recent days. Addressing these concerns, Wu Zunyou, a spokesman for the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said at a news conference Tuesday that the asymptomatic patients had all been found when monitoring those who had come into close contact with confirmed cases. 

"Will they cause the spread (of the virus)? No they won't," Wu said.

"Why? Because in China, under our current measures, all close contact (patients) have been placed under quarantine and isolated medical observation, and will be sent to hospital for diagnosis and treatment once they develop symptoms. So they won't cause any spread in society," he added.
From what BNB linked:  

Basically what this means is that the China case volume is meaningless.  People aren't being counted if A) they have no symptoms, B) are quarantined.

In other words, you need to 1) test positive, 2) have symptoms, 3) NOT be quarantined......to count toward the official China coronavirus stats.  That's insane.

Tangent 2:   my wife started her career as a CPA and was in the same "start class" as Best Buy's new-ish CEO (former CFO).   I can tell you quite definitively that she (they have a female CEO) is not someone I would have ever expected to be a CEO.  Big personality, but not terribly impressive.   Actually, on second thought, it makes more sense.
Best buy still does decent business.  If you get a high end tv they have the best protection plan you can buy.  

Implementing social distancing measures does seem to be making a difference according to Cuomo, and he cited the rate of hospitalizations slowing (on a doubling per day basis). Also, CA implemented their measures about a week in front of NY, and that week does appear to have made a difference. Of course, CA is less dense than NY, and NY has done more testing. But there does seem to be evidence that the measures are making a difference in slowing the rate of transmission. I would welcome any sources if anyone has a good data source, I saw that Kinsa has some data showing how taking measure in CA helped vs. what FL did, but I can't find it to link.

The takeaway is simple. In your state, please practice the extreme social distancing measures ASAP whether mandated yet or not. It's been preached about many times in here, but it is absolutely critical.

If you were single - would you encourage your parents to stay with you during this episode?

(My parents are currently riding this out in two different homes.  My dad is close to me, but my mom is far away, and she is considering leaving to stay with my sister - who is working from home and responsibly practicing social distancing).

So the question is - stay isolated - several hours from other family, or travel to stay with family?

I know people are talking about staying clear of the elderly - but my gut says she she go stay with my sister.
I think that would be best long term. They have each other instead of being alone. 

I haven't been there in quite some time, but I'd imagine Best Buy has probably gone a little towards the route of car dealerships to stay alive. I figure they must be making more and more of their money on loans and stupid service plans.

One of the things different with the people who licked ice cream is that "food tampering" is already a serious crime and I'm fine with them being charged even if they say haha just kidding I bought the ice cream. Hopefully ice cream makers start sealing their packages.

This guy licked the outside of non-food (deodorant I believe) packages. It seems like their should be a 'food tampering' equivalent for non-food items

GI issues are a confirmed symptom.  Keep in mind that 40% of people show no symptoms whatsoever, perhaps more.  So of symptomatic people GI is relatively common at the onset, but you would expect it to be followed with other classic symptoms like chest congestion and/or fever.  
I read this morning that loss of appetite was included in the "gastric distress"  category and probably made up half of those. So best I can gather about 20% of the infected presented with GI at onset/early stages.

In the Era of MAGA, and "America First" and the promotion of Nationalism - why should the US and Europe come down hard on Asian countries looking after their own citizens before others?
Because they lied and covered up the disease until it was too late to be contained.

You may be OK with that.  I’m not.

One of the things different with the people who licked ice cream is that "food tampering" is already a serious crime and I'm fine with them being charged even if they say haha just kidding I bought the ice cream. Hopefully ice cream makers start sealing their packages.

This guy licked the outside of non-food (deodorant I believe) packages. It seems like their should be a 'food tampering' equivalent for non-food items
No. Hopefully this sob goes to jail for years and word spreads. 

Demanding more plastic be used is silly. 

Because they lied and covered up the disease until it was too late to be contained.

You may be OK with that.  I’m not.
You've gone into a much broader discussion, the original point was regarding specifically masks.

China has done a lot of bad things regarding this virus and I fully expect international condemnation and perhaps even real world repercussions once the world is through this crisis.

I think you are mistaken in believing anyone here is defending China.

Anyone find online merchants who have restocked antibacterial wipes at this point (hopefully with an order limit)? I've signed up for alerts and everything but no luck yet. 

I read this morning that loss of appetite was included in the "gastric distress"  category and probably made up half of those. So best I can gather about 20% of the infected presented with GI at onset/early stages.
And if they’re the same folks eating bats, snakes, pangolin, etc, who knows what the actual cause is.

But I do know that the Ohio AG is reporting that they are seeing cases with GI issues as well, especially in one particular county. The WHO does mention diarrhea as a possible side effect as well. 

Seems like it’s one of those items that is possible, but I’m not sure it definitely 100% confirmed.

Implementing social distancing measures does seem to be making a difference according to Cuomo, and he cited the rate of hospitalizations slowing (on a doubling per day basis). Also, CA implemented their measures about a week in front of NY, and that week does appear to have made a difference. Of course, CA is less dense than NY, and NY has done more testing. But there does seem to be evidence that the measures are making a difference in slowing the rate of transmission. I would welcome any sources if anyone has a good data source, I saw that Kinsa has some data showing how taking measure in CA helped vs. what FL did, but I can't find it to link.

The takeaway is simple. In your state, please practice the extreme social distancing measures ASAP whether mandated yet or not. It's been preached about many times in here, but it is absolutely critical.
People largely drive in CA.  The subway is obviously huge in NY.  De Blasio and Cuomo screwed that up pretty badly.

Caring more about plastic than public health and safety is silly. 
Plastic production is far more harmful to everybody than the few times people have become sick(if you can even find a single example) due to grocery tampering. 

Look at your average grocery store. Should all apples now come individual wrapped? Should twist ties be replaced with plastic cable ties? 

L.A. Shopping update.

Did my first grocery shopping in 2 weeks at my local Ralphs in Glendale/Pasadena area.

Store opens at 7AM but first half hour is restricted to seniors, defined as 60 and above. 

There were letting people in 50 at a time with two lines, with one for seniors who are given priority throughout the day. 

I got in about 7:40. Someone outside was spraying the carts with disinfectant and all employees both inside and out were wearing gloves.

Toilet paper and paper towels were completely out and was told before entering they were expecting a delivery tomorrow. Sanitary wipes out too as they are just about everywhere. 

While I was there they announced they just got in water again and there was some limit on that, but it didn't concern me so I don't know the details 

There was plenty of meat, chicken, pork, eggs, bread and dairy products, except there was a limit of 2 items for each per customer.

Pasta and rice were pretty much cleaned out. I got some Rice A Roni which I buy anyway and a New Orleans brand Zataran which is a red beans and rice mix that is pretty good. Only pasta was Kroger generic mac and cheese cups, which is like a buck each for a small cup, but will do in a pinch if you are really desperate. No spaghetti sauce except white Alfredo, but there were small cans of tomato sauce if you want to make your own. 

No shortages in fresh produce section, so I will have some fresh vegetables again for a few weeks.

Some canned vegetables were limited, notably tomatoes and some variety of beans (I got some of the last few cans of diced tomatoes).

Canned chicken was gone, as was most of canned beef (I got a couple cans of that, some stuff in gravy but I have no idea how it tastes). Plenty of canned corned beef if you like that. Still some canned tuna although supplies were dwindling (was able to get half dozen cans of Bumble Bee chunk Albacore). 

Anyway, it was not as bad as I expected and shoppers were respecting social distancing and people generally were friendly.

Hospitalization rates have declined two days in a row in NY which means the social distancing is working. Not shocked that only one other person mentioned this in this thread since people only like posting the bad news. 
Hoboken had its first case on March 13th, the day schools were starting to close and when the mayor urged everyone to self quarantine. Bars and restaurants were switched to takeout only that weekend. 

Grocery stores remained open and after the initial chaos, things have calmed down where I was able to restock quickly a couple days ago. 

From the short walks I've taken as my 3 year old rides her scooter a bit, pretty much everyone is following the "rules" and the number of people out is way down from where it was even a week ago. 

This is a densely populated city of probably 60,000, and while there's no subway system like NYC, people were commuting in packed PATH trains under the Hudson and in packed busses through the Lincoln tunnel. 

We're up to 20 cases in town as of last night. Social distancing is absolutely working and I only wish NYC took stronger measures sooner.  

You've gone into a much broader discussion, the original point was regarding specifically masks.

China has done a lot of bad things regarding this virus and I fully expect international condemnation and perhaps even real world repercussions once the world is through this crisis.

I think you are mistaken in believing anyone here is defending China.
Hoarding and repurchasing masks is crappy too.  Especially since all of this lies at their feet.  I’m not sure why anyone is OK with either.

Glimpse from the inside: ALL Best Buy Stores in PA are re-opening and requesting resumption of their regular daily FedEx Express pick up after initially suspending same.

:wall:
How is that even possible with the current orders from the governor? Aren’t they looking at huge fines or even the pulling of business licenses?

Users who are viewing this thread