What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (18 Viewers)

They are not worried about the virus itself as anything more than it is... a respiratory disease.  Add it to the list.  They can and do treat patients with these symptoms (even without covid, respiratory disease has to be high on the list of causes of death?).

The logistical and procedural overload was always realized as a likelihood/probability....  the PPE shortage was not foreseen.

Worry and concern for the sick, sounds like a docs daily role, right? 
Pneumonia/respiratory disease are common causes of death. Pandemic, easily transmissible pneumonia without treatment options is not. Until now. Running out of PPE is an unprecedented concern. So are the prospects of insufficient ventilators/ICU beds and maintaining staffing if/when healthcare providers get sick. 

I’m shocked any ER doctor, intensivist, hospitalist, primary care provider, ID, infection control personnel or acute care nurse would take this lightly. I’ve been in healthcare over two decades and have never seen anything cause as much concern - HIV was the closest, but its trajectory was far less rapid.

For those filing... first off, sorry 😞 

Second, was it done online or in person? If in person how were lines/etc? 
Unemployment is pretty much all online or over the phone.  Usually you call in on Sundays answer a few questions on job search and get money .

SteelerFan03 said:
Bravo!... Really well done, great lyrics and I

appreciate the positive message.

Seriously, great job.

GroveDiesel said:
38% of those hospitalized are 20-54.

So not really half, but almost 40% seems like a big number when so many seem to believe that if you’re under 60 you’re basically in the clear.
You said under 40. A 14 year addition still didnt even get to half. That is like 77% of the US population accounting for 38% of hospitalizations.

Nobody is saying that people under 60 are never affected. 

But the effect it has in healthy people under 60 wouldnt have resulted in changing our entire way of life for an indefinite amount of time. 

It doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, but how are they counting positive tests geographically? My friend got it while she lived in nyc, but didn’t get tested til she came to Florida. So would her number be  a ny case? If she dies, she will be a Florida death, I guess, but she didn’t get it here. Also, there are zero cases in my county.  But we also have no testing, no hospitals in my county. We would go the neighboring county or even state (depending on insurance) for tests or care. How would that be counted?

We are going to have a worker shortage delivering product and stocking shelves. You would have to make over $25 an hour and risk getting the virus to equal staying at home. 

It doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, but how are they counting positive tests geographically? My friend got it while she lived in nyc, but didn’t get tested til she came to Florida. So would her number be  a ny case? If she dies, she will be a Florida death, I guess, but she didn’t get it here. Also, there are zero cases in my county.  But we also have no testing, no hospitals in my county. We would go the neighboring county or even state (depending on insurance) for tests or care. How would that be counted?
I think you’re focusing on the micro picture when the macro picture of one additional death is the important point. 

We are going to have a worker shortage delivering product and stocking shelves. You would have to make over $25 an hour and risk getting the virus to equal staying at home. 
You don't get unemployment if you quit. And places aren't going to layoff when they are hiring like every grocery store I know.

Unemployment will be $950 a week? 
In Florida,  $275 (the current weekly unemployment max)  + 600 = $875 per week. That's almost $22 per hour, about $45k per year. Higher salary than many who were laid off. More than my roommate who is an excellent pre-school teacher and more than the starting salary for most public school teachers in Florida. Not too far from the average salary in Florida which is $57k. With security and sick benefits for those 4 months. That's why there was opposition to the bill from Graham and others.

But if the extra benefits are only for 4 month, and these people pump most of that money into the economy, maybe it's the right thing  to do.

prosopis said:
The unemployment thing is confusing. I stopped doing it. There is no choice of covid 19 being the reason I am out of work. Seems like choices are fired,quit,strike,layoff. Also looks like if I sign up I need to apply for a certain amount of jobs a week. 

I do not see a choice for I have a job but don't know when I can work.
The state of Georgia waived the "look for work" requirement. you may want to see if AZ is doing that as well.

Here's how CA unemployment works now.

"As of March 19, if you are temporarily out of work and plan to return to the same employer, you do not need to meet the usual requirement of looking for work while you are collecting unemployment insurance. However, if you are not attached to a particular employer with a job to return to, you are required to look for work while collecting benefits. You can do that from home, for example, by searching for jobs online."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/us/coronavirus-file-unemployment-ca.amp.html

Last edited by a moderator:
prosopis said:
The unemployment thing is confusing. I stopped doing it. There is no choice of covid 19 being the reason I am out of work. Seems like choices are fired,quit,strike,layoff. Also looks like if I sign up I need to apply for a certain amount of jobs a week. 

I do not see a choice for I have a job but don't know when I can work.
I'm sure they will still contact your employer to verify when you were let go and why. 

Also from last Fri, in AZ regarding unemployment..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.12news.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/az-unemployment-benefits-tax-deadline-covid-19/75-d8a15335-2560-460c-89f2-1bdf7f52f412

I think one reason they did the + 600 for unemployment is because you don't have health insurance and not all states have expanded Medicaid.

The coronavirus mutates more slowly than the flu — which means a vaccine will likely be effective long-term

awoodward@businessinsider.com (Aylin Woodward)

Business InsiderMarch 26, 2020, 8:18 AM GMT+7

https://us.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-mutates-more-slowly-flu-011800790.html

A glimmer of hope on the coronavirus front: Experts who have been tracking the virus' spread have concluded that it mutates at a slower rate than other respiratory viruses like the flu.

This slow mutation rate has two implications — both positive. It means the virus (whose official name is SARS-CoV-2) is stable in its current form, and therefore unlikely to get even more dangerous as it continues to spread. That also means that a vaccine could be effective in the long-run; it'd act more like a measles or chickenpox vaccine than a seasonal flu shot. 

Peter Thielen, a molecular geneticist at Johns Hopkins University, told The Washington Post that an analysis of 1,000 different samples of the new coronavirus revealed only four to 10 genetic differences between the strains that have infected people in the US and the original virus that spread in Wuhan. 

"At this point, the mutation rate of the virus would suggest that the vaccine developed for SARS-CoV-2 would be a single vaccine, rather than a new vaccine every year like the flu vaccine," Thielen said.

The state of Georgia waived the "look for work" requirement. you may want to see if AZ is doing that as well.
I agree as its the same for MI.  My wife has been laid off and she and I filed for her online and it took less than 15-minutes.  There was a drop down for laid off due to Covid and the FEIN number tagged her employer when we populated this field.  She had confirmation of the weekly amount by the end of the day and she needs to go online each Sunday to re-certify the need; the "looking for work" requirement has also been waived.   

@BassNBrew

A provision in the Senate's coronavirus stimulus bill, under a section called Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, makes contractors, freelancers, and other self-employed workers finally eligible for unemployment insurance

DOC REPORT: England has only 15 available ECMO beds.  Confirmed by Guardian 

Scotland and Wales have zero.

Alleged/Unconfirmed plan is to "let young, previously fit patients with viral myocarditis die". 
Not like these are common machines.  According to article linked below only  - According to this article only 260 hospitals in US had these machines as of 2019 and can't imagine they had a bunch of them probably just 1 or 2 each.  Given the fact there are like 6k hospitals in the USA we clearly don't have enough to really make a difference in this fight.  That article seems like it is only try to grab headlines.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/06/17/end-life-decisions-questions-ecmo-can-part-life-support/1439787001/

Alleged/Unconfirmed plan is to "let young, previously fit patients with viral myocarditis die". 
Fwiw...just googled this, because I've found the Guardian to be regularly inaccurate or flat out wrong (the Mirror is even worse).

As of this time, they're the only media making this claim per google.

Maybe they're right and nobody else is on board yet. Or, ime with the guardian, this is misleading or false info.

Plus, the article is from Feb 27. We're a fortnight past that. 

Icon- dude. Do better...please. 

Well that's got disaster of biblical proportions written all over it
To be fair, this is an extremely small subset of people we are talking about. It's also the sickest of the sickest, with having to meet many criteria just to be a candidate, takes up a huge amount of resources, and still has poor outcomes.

Factor in the risk involved to providers to administer ECMO care, I wouldn't be surprised if it's simply put on hold for the most part. 

I think there are far more serious and worrisome things than that article, personally.

Apple Jack said:
I mean this to be constructive, not condescending. You need to pay attention to what is happening. Most are not concerned with getting it themselves. We are concerned with being carriers and getting compromised people exposed. I would very, very likely survive it and likely have very mild symptoms, if any. I'm not worried about me.
Just to add on a bit to a great, simple post...

Obviously keeping as many people as possible safe is the top priority, but a lot of us want to get back to "normal" just as much as the "you're being paranoid" crowd. Trust me, I want my 3 year old back in preschool ASAP. 

But we know that the best and quickest way back to normal, and staying normal, is by staying inside, away from people, and encouraging others to do the same.

USA will be first in total cases, if not by the end of today, definitely by some time tomorrow. 

55% of all USA cases are in the states of New York and New Jersey, heavily focused around the NYC area.

Not like these are common machines.  According to article linked below only  - According to this article only 260 hospitals in US had these machines as of 2019.  Given the fact there are like 6k hospitals in the USA we clearly don't have enough to really make a difference in this fight.  That article seems like it is only try to grab headlines.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/06/17/end-life-decisions-questions-ecmo-can-part-life-support/1439787001/
Is it really? 

There are more than double the available ECMO beds in minneapolis as there are in England/Scotland/Wales combined.

That doesn't sound much like sensationalism to me... sounds like a legit "critical" Shortage (as graded by NHS).

Fwiw...just googled this, because I've found the Guardian to be regularly inaccurate or flat out wrong (the Mirror is even worse).

As of this time, they're the only media making this claim per google.

Maybe they're right and nobody else is on board yet. Or, ime with the guardian, this is misleading or false info.

Plus, the article is from Feb 27. We're a fortnight past that. 

Icon- dude. Do better...please. 
This was also a claim made by a doctor. 

Are you implying they somehow have MORE ECMO beds available 2 weeks later into a COVID outbreak :lmao:  

Why did I even bother coming Back to this thread... 

glllll peas

Users who are viewing this thread