What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (22 Viewers)

Last edited by a moderator:
####### people.   So Tulsa has now closed all of the local parks due to people overcrowding and allowing their kids to climb on the playground equipment.  
Kids were all over the playground equipment here two days ago, and people were still playing tennis.  So they shut it down.  They started putting caution tape around playground structures in my town yesterday, locked the tennis courts, and are blocking off the parking lots.  Initially they announced it was all closed - parks, open spaces, trails, etc, but then they backed down and decided to focus on the parking lots to keep people from driving to trail heads or parks or the beach, while allowing people to visit what's in their neighborhood.  So you can walk the dog or go for a run through a park, you just can't drive there from somewhere else to do it.

Seems like churches that don’t like to follow what the Bible actually says. 

Titus 3:1: ““Remind the believers to submit to the government and its officers. They should be obedient, always ready to do what is good.”

My church has already decided that we are not meeting on Easter, no matter what President Trump decides. It just isn’t worth the risk to our members and our community. There’s a difference between having faith and taking unnecessary risks to do...actually I’m not sure what they’re trying to do exactly.
Our church is in the same position as yours.  I'm curious, how long do you think the leaders of your church would be willing to follow the government on this, and ignore Hebrews 10:25 (Do not neglect meeting together)?  I said about 100 pages ago in this thread that there will be churches that would start meeting eventually, regardless of what government says.  I think if our governor said, "Don't meet again till June 1" our leaders would abide.  If she said, "Don't meet again until I say you can" our leaders will start to chafe at that and eventually rebel - depending on how cv spreads in the near future.  Just curious your thoughts.

There are people who think "the economy" (which is, if we're being honest on a meta level, mostly made up bull#### that benefits those fortunate enough--including many of us here, yes) is more important on any level than human lives that can be saved. And that thought process is just totally normal because of how skewed our humanity and priorities have become. As if the idea of a society is worth more than the people who actually make up that society. What is the ####### point of all this (I'm talking human civilization) if we're willing to sacrifice lives so that the big numbers some worship can get bigger, to put it simply.

I get that we do this all the time without fully realizing it until it's already a huge problem (see: climate change), and that we've slowly fallen into this mindset because there aren't always lives so obviously in the crosshairs. But this situation feels like much more of a direct, obvious choice between lives and this amorphous idea of big money and "the economy" we've built our society around--a system that doesn't even benefit most people even when things are going swimmingly. If anything could dumb that idea down into the easiest to process argument, it's a crisis like this, you'd think. It's an explicit choice between profits and lives splayed out as directly and raw as you can imagine--usually this stuff is pretty hard to see through the desensitized POV we all have, living how we do. 

This conversation is too big for this thread obviously, but I hope this whole ordeal and the things we show as a society we're able to do to combat it wakes some people up. This should be a turning point, but for some people they'll continue to prefer a perceived sense of normalcy that can turn on them at any moment as easily as it's turning on others now.

There are people who think "the economy" (which is, if we're being honest on a meta level, mostly made up bull#### that benefits those fortunate enough--including many of us here, yes) is more important on any level than human lives that can be saved. And that thought process is just totally normal because of how skewed our humanity and priorities have become. As if the idea of a society is worth more than the people who actually make up that society. What is the ####### point of all this if we're willing to sacrifice lives so that the big numbers some worship can get bigger, to put it simply. I hope this whole ordeal and the things we show as a society we're able to do to combat it wakes some people up. This should be a turning point, but for some people they'll continue to prefer a perceived sense of normalcy that can turn on them at any moment as easily as it's turning on others now.
I sincerely hope that there are some meaningful changes in societal thinking and actions that come out of this - your comment is a perfect example of one we can hope for.

The best chance for large scale changes are with our younger generations... I hope they're watching closely and soaking it all in.

My county FINALLY got around to issuing a "safer-at-home" order.

Effective tomorrow 10pm  <_<
Right? I don't get all the shelter in place orders...starting in 2 days. So everybody rush out and get as much done as you can now...together...in stores...lined up for hours...together... :loco:

Don't bother quoting Daily Mail in here, they are persona non grata 'round here

Germany's secret? Lots of testing. They have a lot of small labs in that country. They're testing mild symptomatic people and quarantining the + cases.
Interesting so South Korea tested the #### out of anything that moved and had a pretty favorable outcome all things considered. Now you're saying Germany is doing the same and having similar results? Crazy talk man, this stuff is so out of the box, we would have never thought of it  :rolleyes:

RI ordering all NYers travelling here to self-quarantine for 14 days. Lots of "summer homes" here and it's about a 2-3 hour drive depending on which end of each state is the start/end point. National Guard to help at airport / train / bus station(s) and State Police will pull over all NY plates to inform them and get contact information. 

https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavirus/march-26-ri-coronavirus-update/
Man how do you even enforce that? This is how this thing just keeps spreading. Not sure when we will get it, if ever.

Man how do you even enforce that? This is how this thing just keeps spreading. Not sure when we will get it, if ever.
Not really a mention of enforcement, and it sure does seem nearly impossible. Better than nothing, I guess. At least it will drive the point home to the fleeing NYers in the (hopefully unlikely) event that they still don't get it. 

South Korea, like Germany, has the same 3 things that really helped them: aggressive testing, younger cases and more ICU beds.
Or is the amount of younger cases on record because of all the aggressive testing? I get that Italty skews older but that has to be part of it.

What % of your salary are you donating?
For reference, we actually donate about 10% of my take home pay to local non profit organizations. We have increased that recently because they are being hit hard. 

On top of that I also volunteer about 15-20 hours a month in my community. 

You?

There has to be some middle ground, where both can be accomplished to some extent.  In other words, stay at home, social distancing, etc. while still trying to "re-start" the economy to some extent.  It doesn't have to be one or the other.   And, restarting doesn't mean we go back to life as we knew it a month ago.  A lot of measures need to be put into place, and restarting has to be done very creatively, and in several steps.  Certain industries first.  Maybe certain age groups first.  Most importantly, look at who's going back to work and who's not, and does it make sense?  I've always felt that the most successful people in life are those who are able to adapt to change, sometimes with little time to do so.  This is the perfect example of that, and some are doing a great job.... restaurants transitioning to takeout/delivery only, distilleries becoming mass producers of hand sanitizer, companies transitioning to produce masks and ventilators on short notice, etc.  

All of that said, our top priority right now has to be to protect and save lives.  
No, unfortunately. Until things are under control there isn't really a middle ground and by under control you need the health care system stable, ubiquitous and easy testing, and people willing to do their part. I don't think we are close to any of that right now. There are "essential" businesses which need to keep going of course. If exposure translates to immunity then I could see a niche industry of recoved COVID19 people performing jobs that expose them quite a bit.

If you leave are you planning to quarantine for 14 days when you get where you’re going ?
Hell no! We're going to party in our new freedom!!

Of course. And we've been quarantining ourselves already in anticipation prior to going anywhere, in case one of us becomes symptomatic...in which case we'd stay.

South Korea, like Germany, has the same 3 things that really helped them: aggressive testing, younger cases and more ICU beds.
I think a lot has to do with the populace of both nations as well. Both are fiercely nationalistic in their love for the Motherland and do whatever it takes to preserve. I'm not articulating my thoughts well but what I'm trying to say is their people listen. If there is a shelter in place order given in those countries I'd doubt you would see anyone other police & military on the roads. Here Karen is out getting Starbucks.

Apparently the ice cream man driving around the neighborhood is an essential business.
I had to drive to pick up some belongings at my old house during lunch today - some neighborhood kids had made a lemonade stand and the Mom was standing there with like 5 kids waving at cars to try and get folks to stop and get lemonade.  I was like WTF ARE YOU DOING?!??

I think a lot has to do with the populace of both nations as well. Both are fiercely nationalistic in their love for the Motherland and do whatever it takes to preserve. I'm not articulating my thoughts well but what I'm trying to say is their people listen. If there is a shelter in place order given in those countries I'd doubt you would see anyone other police & military on the roads. Here Karen is out getting Starbucks.

Yeah, I don't think its political of me to state that American Exceptionalism is gonna be a problem in curbing this thing's impact. Already is. 

People simultaneously hero-worshipping the law while taking idiotic pride in doing whatever they personally want is a problem even outside a pandemic situation.

I had to drive to pick up some belongings at my old house during lunch today - some neighborhood kids had made a lemonade stand and the Mom was standing there with like 5 kids waving at cars to try and get folks to stop and get lemonade.  I was like WTF ARE YOU DOING?!??
Just Karen and her brood selling cups of virus  :rolleyes:  We refuse to take this seriously as a populace. Not sure what it's going to take.

Yeah, I don't think its political of me to state that American Exceptionalism is gonna be a problem in curbing this thing's impact. Already is. 

People simultaneously hero-worshipping the law while taking idiotic pride in doing whatever they personally want. 
There is more than one definition of “impact“ with this virus. I’m sorry, but I think the massive shutdowns, unemployment, small business closures, retirements, and all the rest are already the biggest piece of this. So sorry some don’t agree. 

Just got an emergency alert on my phone from the Chicago mayor's office telling me that until further notice, Chicago lakefront, adjacent parks & beaches are closed.

i do, but it's not exactly fit for public consumption.
Is it set-up to model something like this (number of days):

Out to 56 days with a peak at day 28, a leveling off through day 35 and then a decrease from days 35-56 similar to the increase in days 1-13? If it's not set up like that then just ignore this.

Those numbers are NYC deaths. 

Nashville 21 year old battling COVID warning youths

“So, I’m aware that we’re supposed to be self-quarantining and social distancing all these things to keep everyone safe. Cool. I get it,” said Tate in a video she made for social media. “I just don’t think that I’m going to get the virus."   She says her friends ignored city leaders’ call for social distancing. In fact, after city leader first suggested social distancing and socializing with no more than 10 people, her friends decided to get together at a friend’s house – all 20 of them.

Days after her social media video.....

“It feels like someone is sitting on my chest at all times. It’s really hard to breathe. I’ve coughed until my throat has bled,” Tate said, describing her symptoms of COVID-19.

We've had less than 24,000 deaths around the globe. Predicting that many each day in the US is not the track we are on.
That's not how math works.  He also didn't predict that many in the US only, he was talking about the world.

This is the issue.  We are still into this thing and people still haven't figured out how the math is going to play out until it's too late. At this point we can only hope the social distancing will keep us from the worst of it.

Our church is in the same position as yours.  I'm curious, how long do you think the leaders of your church would be willing to follow the government on this, and ignore Hebrews 10:25 (Do not neglect meeting together)?  I said about 100 pages ago in this thread that there will be churches that would start meeting eventually, regardless of what government says.  I think if our governor said, "Don't meet again till June 1" our leaders would abide.  If she said, "Don't meet again until I say you can" our leaders will start to chafe at that and eventually rebel - depending on how cv spreads in the near future.  Just curious your thoughts.
I think we’ll abide as long as there is indication that meeting in person still risks significant health impacts, whatever that looks like.

We were quick to put together services that we can stream on Sunday mornings and leave up for folks to watch. We’ve also rolled out video conferencing for all of our small groups that has been extremely successful. In fact, we’ve had more people view our services and participate in small groups than we did before all this happened. My small group has a large text thread that we touch base regularly in. No, it’s not the same as meeting in person, but it absolutely IS meeting together. We’re lucky to live in a time where we can still “meet” together, support each other, and live in community together through technology.

I recognize that not all churches have equipped themselves to do this very well, but IMO, that’s a poor excuse for putting people’s health at risk. Figure it out. Practically everyone has Facebook. It’s not hard to record and put a service up there. My parents are in their 60s and not technologically illiterate but not super on top of things either and they have had no problems figuring out FaceTime and Zoom. That goes double for these megachurches that are still meeting in person. It’s a simple reality of our time that people are already searching for community online more and more (hello FBG). Churches that have chosen to ignore that and who are refusing to use those resources and capabilities now have already made their choice to ignore the world outside of their doors IMO. Maybe that’s harsh, but I think it’s true of way too many American churches in general.

Users who are viewing this thread