What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

There's a whole different forum for this stuff MOP.  This is a politics free zone.

Take it to the PSF pls.
Perfectly fair to wonder what people are motivated by when they are lashing out at elected officials. 

I think it's way obvious what you all are trying to do in here and ganging up on anyone that calls you all on it.

I don't know anything about that other Forum and I am not talking politics but if someone can't see that DeSantis is taking action and continues to tighten things up, you are either blind or you have some type of "Agenda" and want to come in here and get it off your chest by skirting the Mods and trying to wink and get one over. 

All I did was defend DeSantis and ask the question of why people are so quick to judge these folks in leadership? 

Then all hell breaks loose and people act like their offended...I've brought lots of info from Florida as I've found it and posted it up in here. 

-I showed respect to New York City and Cuomo, you all are being a bit over reactive IMHO. Chill Out. 

Perfectly fair to wonder what people are motivated by when they are lashing out at elected officials. 

I think it's way obvious what you all are trying to do in here and ganging up on anyone that calls you all on it.

I don't know anything about that other Forum and I am not talking politics but if someone can't see that DeSantis is taking action and continues to tighten things up, you are either blind or you have some type of "Agenda" and want to come in here and get it off your chest by skirting the Mods and trying to wink and get one over. 

All I did was defend DeSantis and ask the question of why people are so quick to judge these folks in leadership? 

Then all hell breaks loose and people act like their offended...I've brought lots of info from Florida as I've found it and posted it up in here. 

-I showed respect to New York City and Cuomo, you all are being a bit over reactive IMHO. Chill Out. 
Take it to the PSF pls.

Today here in The Netherlands we moved past the 10K total case level. Also 132 new deaths, the highest daily total to date. After Italy and Spain, The Netherlands has the highest death rate per 1M citizens. But the growth rate of new cases has been lower the past few days, 96% of the Dutch citizens are seriously adhering to social distancing (recent poll) and of the 1600 Corona ICU beds in the country only 900 are in use at the moment. We are still on the "good" side of the line.

And oh yeah ... Government and health care folks are quite upset about the shipment of faulty masks (600K) from China.

That's bologna Cap. I'll let it go but to not see that a fairly Hard Leaning Left Forum doesn't pound down on Republican leaders any chance they get whether they inject the (R) or (D) is kind of silly. 

The folks who seem to be leading the charge also seem to be from one side of the aisle which adds a little bit of validity to what I'm saying. I haven't posted all that much in this thread and nothing I posted in the last couple days was anything political so I don't know where this is coming from.

Cheers

You're the one who brought it up.

People have asked nicely for you to take it to the other forum.  

DeSantis has received criticism for letting local officials make decisions about closing beaches. Most beaches have been closed for days or weeks, but just yesterday, the St. Augustine area beaches were finally closed after public outcry about large crowds. In this photo of the beach crowd, you can see the line between counties: https://mobile.twitter.com/travisakers/status/1243990179557359616
Thank You SoBe and I understand. I don't disagree with allowing the local officials to handle it. 

People with their own boat slips are filling the waterways, despite the beaches closed people are still finding ways to sneak out to the Ocean, folks who don't live here seem to have a lot of judgement about how we need to be handling things. 

I think officials are doing the best they can, almost all of them, everywhere, NYC, FL, California, they are doing the best they can, every area is different and has unique things that require local officials to step in. 

That's bologna Cap. I'll let it go but to not see that a fairly Hard Leaning Left Forum doesn't pound down on Republican leaders any chance they get whether they inject the (R) or (D) is kind of silly. 

The folks who seem to be leading the charge also seem to be from one side of the aisle which adds a little bit of validity to what I'm saying. I haven't posted all that much in this thread and nothing I posted in the last couple days was anything political so I don't know where this is coming from.

Cheers
Let's keep going with that. 

Specific actions (or lack thereof) are being criticized. I saw one or two generic "bad job" posts, but since those the criticisms have been of specific (in)actions, not ad hominem criticisms.
Understood, I checked in and saw posts ripping on Florida and I took a different POV. 

I don't know what else people want DeSantis to do. He is now doing checkpoints at the State Line, that's something I've never seen before in my life. 

What's he not doing right now that is making people so sad and feel sorry for family stuck here right now? Because it seems like people are wanting to get into the State of Florida, almost desperately. 

Open up facebook just now and first post I read is somebody complaining that they had to go to several places to find olives.

Yes. Olives. 

Only thing less encouraging is that there are about 6 replies of people talking about their own searches of trivial things. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It isnt ramping up that will solve the crisis. "Ramping in" might be a better description. More companies will start to make them if the demand is pretty much every person in the country. The CDC has already put on their website that in times of emergency they can be reserved for members of the medical community. 

Instead they decided to cap demand by lying. 

February 6th was the first article I read telling people masks dont help and people are too stupid to put them on right. Within the next few days every publication was printing that.

Almost 7 weeks wasted. 
So you are saying that the articles that say that masks don't help are a lie by the CDC to save their supply?

Country v Country Trajectories

This is absolutely wild. From a Nobel Laureate / NYT

(eta: he stole the graphic apparnetly from some other well known figure, but cant figure out who)
The growth rate in America was never that high.  That’s just a result of testing suddenly coming online in a country that had a lot of the virus. People that use that growth rate are soon going to claim that the growth rate is plummeting as testing catches up to reality.  

This thread is terrible
So stay out, no one forcing you to read it. This thread has been nothing but full of useful information with the occasional flair up of stupidity that accompanies any thread of this size.

You commented on the shortage of masks earlier, make your own https://youtu.be/mai-UqdNRi8. Will free up all the N95’s to actually go to people who need them and not Karen.

Hope someone can answer this for me, as I am genuinely curious (and ya, I guess I already know different answers are coming in from different states)

In Ontario (and rest of country, I believe) only Essential Services are open. (grocery, gas, constructions, take-out foods etc)

Schools in some provinces are closed indefinitely... in some it's just a month or so, w online learning the only option. day cares are also closed, causing problems for working parents

In all honesty, it means a lot is open, but when you drive, EVERYTHING is seemingly closed. 

Borders closed, etc... It's a wild sight. 

Is this type of action being taken down there yet in any states? Sorry there is just TOO much info to go thru

Hope someone can answer this for me, as I am genuinely curious (and ya, I guess I already know different answers are coming in from different states)

In Ontario (and rest of country, I believe) only Essential Services are open. (grocery, gas, constructions, take-out foods etc)

In all honesty, it means a lot is open, but when you drive, EVERYTHING is seemingly closed. 

Is this type of action being taken down there yet in any states? Sorry there is just TOO much info to go thru
No.  The list of essential services is a mile long.

It isnt ramping up that will solve the crisis. "Ramping in" might be a better description. More companies will start to make them if the demand is pretty much every person in the country. The CDC has already put on their website that in times of emergency they can be reserved for members of the medical community. 

February 6th was the first article I read telling people masks dont help and people are too stupid to put them on right. Within the next few days every publication was printing that.

Almost 7 weeks wasted. 
Agree with this - back at the beginning of March when my department started ordering extra cleaning and disinfecting supplies for public transportation vehicles, we looked at purchasing some masks for our drivers and elected not to do that because every official guideline we could find said that masks weren't effective at all for healthy folks against this. Now four weeks later the CDC is coming out with an almost complete reversal on that advice. 

Going to work every single day because building brand new infrastructure for the government is "essential " .  Jay doesnt want people to have sleep overs and screw the small business restaurants, but we cant have government contracts loosing money. See how that works?  

30% peeps on the freeway.  Super markets half full when I stop on the way home. Will adventure out tomorrow and will report back. 
We are still pretty dead. Not sure if you are liking going into work or not. But hopefully they are putting as much stuff in place as possible to keep you safe.

I could go in but work has decided to shut it down and we are doing as much as we can from home.

I go for walks, have been to the store, have gotten coffee at my friend’s business. Everyone just following the distancing rules.

Last info I looked at, Washington was quite a bit lower and slower on the curve. They have the auxiliary hospitals going up so they are getting prepped if they need it.

Honestly haven't been following the numbers super closely but I believe Washington is going up way slower than other areas that have no been hit. Thought our chart looked much more like a steady slow rising hill than a straight up incline that places hit badly are seeing.

I’d give Inslee a high score on this.

He hasn’t been proactive. Let Disney and the beaches stay open way longer than needed severely furthering the spread. State is being overrun and he still hasn’t issued quarantine orders. He’s behind on everything.

Why in hell would I care where he is from? Just because I am from Tampa doesn’t mean I like the guy. I can’t stand most of these idiots here.

And who I voted for makes no difference, he’s the guy in charge now and he needs to start being proactive rather than reactive. 
I understand your POV, but when you say Disney, you are talking about the company that owns ABC, ESPN, their Movie Studio that owns Star Wars and Marvel now I think...they own Central Florida pretty much, how fast can you order them to shut down and safely get all the folks who are in their hotels and Parks back to their planes and back home?

I'm gonna go enjoy being a Floridian and take the paddleboard out and try to find a spot to enter the water since all the docks are closed. 

Almost 7 weeks wasted. 
The only problem is that demand hasn’t stopped. Do you think companies decided not to produce masks because of what the recommendations were at the time? What about the health care professionals who still can’t get them? We’re a major supermarket/pharmacy chain and we were able to get 10 boxes of masks for an entire  section of a major metro area. You really think companies are looking at the current mask situation in the country and deciding not to make masks until they change the recommendations?

Schools in some provinces are closed indefinitely... in some it's just a month or so, w online learning the only option. day cares are also closed, causing problems for working parents

Good question.  The answer is that it’s being decided on a city/county/state basis.

This town right next door to me has an order to stay home, and then an exclusion list a mile long.

https://www.franklintn.gov/our-city/stay-at-home-order

Others are far more strict.  Others are doing almost nothing other than recommendations.  I think all schools are closed nationwide (not sure)

When I went to the store yesterday it seemed very close to a normal Saturday. 

The hot spots are doing well. The non hot spots aren’t (in many cases). Which may mean that in 3-4 weeks we have another new group of hot spots.

When I started, I did it daily after my morning shower. Mostly these days, I do it a few times a week if I notice I'm more congested than usual.  This particular time of year, I will resume daily use again, because of all the pollen around. It really helps with that. I would get a sinus infection almost every year during pollen season before I began using the rinse.
We had like the highest or 2nd highest pollen count ever recorded here in north Atlanta suburbs.  It's horrible right now.

You're the one who brought it up.

People have asked nicely for you to take it to the other forum.  
Bass, I got it the first time, but I'm allowed to have the OPINION that Gov DeSantis acted quickly and has done about as good a job as one could expect in this pandemic. 

That's not political, are we clear on this?

Cheers

When I went to the store yesterday it seemed very close to a normal Saturday. 
grocery in my town has a strict 30 person max right now, w security at the door asking COVID related questions and wiping down all carts w disinfectant. 

such a PITA, but makes total sense.

Social distancing.  It has been very effective in slowing the spread and saved thousands of lives. 
Not touching the last part.  

This part seems to go against every stat posted in here and just about every post about our experiences with how this social distancing us going.  

Agree with this - back at the beginning of March when my department started ordering extra cleaning and disinfecting supplies for public transportation vehicles, we looked at purchasing some masks for our drivers and elected not to do that because every official guideline we could find said that masks weren't effective at all for healthy folks against this. Now four weeks later the CDC is coming out with an almost complete reversal on that advice. 
We’ve been trying to order masks since before the CDC said that, there isn’t any and it’s not for a lack of demand. They’ve been sold out for months, there’s been plenty of market for it and they can’t keep up with production. There isn’t going to be some magical switch that the CDC changes their recommendations and suddenly the shelves will be flooded with masks.

We are lucky to have such great leadership in the white house.
Please don't post just to get a reaction. That's the definition of trolling. 

If you think President Trump is doing a good job, take it the Political forum and say it and back up why you say it. But drop the trolling. 

Zero patience to debate this with you. Drop it or find a new board. 

Makes sense, and have 0 clue why stores dont have stuff like this here.  
and yet many seniors still find a way to basically make out with you in an empty store.

im telling you, for being the most at risk, a lot of seniors acting like they dont give a damn... they cant seem to break their habits and get REAL close way too often

Users who are viewing this thread