What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

It might not kill you, but 104 is going to be a miserable experience.  I used to get just brutal strep every 18 months or so through my 20s and I got to be a fever connoisseur.  Up to 100.5 is no big deal.  There to 101.5 and you definitely feel ####ty.  But 102 to 103 is horrible.  Getting out of bed to do anything for five minutes is hard.
Kids tolerate high fevers better. Although it's still a physiologic response, nobody advocates sitting on adults with 102+ fevers.

I am going to have to check out his work. I know a lot of people really dug Fountains of Wayne but I wrote them off because of Stacy's Mom. 
Start with “Sick Day,” my favorite.

Or that entire album plus the Utopia Parkway one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's, slightly down from yesterday, but not much. I imagine this to be the jagged chart line still very much on the upswing, for another couple of weeks at the minimum:

143 new hospitalizations (1498 total)

52 new on vents (490 total)

54 new deaths (273 total)

6809 new tests complete (45776 total)

1187 new positives (6424 total)

for a 17.4% positive rate of new cases to new tests performed...

Which leads me to a question. Of the other 82.6% that were negative, what the heck did they have? I know some of them could just be precautionary testing for healthcare workers, etc. but that still seems like a high number. I guess we won't ever get the full answer on those numbers, and they may not even be collecting that type of data, may or may not have tested for other illnesses before/after Covid-19, etc., but just curious. @Doug B any thoughts on that?
Some are false negatives - the most widely used tests only pick up 60-80% of cases. Plus there are potential errors in specimen collection.

If the clinical suspicion is high, retesting is recommended in 2-3 days.

As for other reasons for a negative test, some may be contact tracing for those exposed to a known case, some are people with febrile illness attributable to non-respiratory infection, some are non-diagnosable infections due to other viruses/atypical bacteria/etc., and some are people tested for fever/respiratory illness of non-infectious etiology.

Probably some rich people pulling strings to get tests that aren't indicated, too.

Not sure if this has been posted already. Longer video but I thought it was hugely beneficial for understanding.  How not to get infected.  Simple  .  What to do for your family if you do  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WxyH1rkuLaw&feature=youtu.be
Thank you for posting this.  While there are some people out there still not taking this seriously, my sense is that there are quite a few people who are over-reacting to miniscule or outright nonexistent risks (like walking around outside by themselves).  Videos like this help.
Agreed. Very interesting info here. If you're put off by the length of the vid you can start at 7:40

And according to the article, the reason they think that is:

"What it means in my mind, is that because we are screening the general population, we are catching people early in the infection before they start showing symptoms," Stefánsson said.

I think many (not you, bradyfan) fail to understand that the reason 50% of the cases have no symptoms, is usually because they are still in the incubation stage and haven't developed them yet.  That's just the way the numbers work.

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/22 - 255,584 reported cases - 11,350 dead - USA 33,346 cases - 414 dead

3/27 - 514,956 reported cases - 24,048 dead - USA 104,126 cases - 1,695 dead

3/28 - 581,528 reported cases - 27,551 dead - USA 123,428 cases - 2,211 dead

3/29 - 640,507 reported cases - 30,666 dead - USA 142,047 cases - 2,484 dead

3/30 - 702,911 reported cases - 34,476 dead - USA 163,479 cases - 3,148 dead

3/31 - 777,151 reported cases - 38,846 dead - USA 188,530 cases - 3,889 dead

4/1 - 852,910 reported cases - 43,863 dead - USA 214,482 cases - 5,093 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

Just an FYI and PSA:

Fever like that isn't dangerous.  Yes, even above 104.  Our bodies won't allow temps to get high enough to cause harm.  Unless temps are getting raised due to an outside source (like being stuck in a hot car), the height of the fever isn't harmful.

There's no need for ice baths for your little ones for high fevers.  We bring fever down with medicine to help kids feel more comfortable.  Putting them in an ice bath completely defeats that purpose. 

As to what was posted above, it's pretty unlikely it was truly 106.  But glad to hear he's doing better and home.
Interesting to know, and thanks. I remember my son, around 8 at the time, had a 103.5 temp. My wife was out of state at the time and I freaked out. Ended up on the phone with an emergency nurse at like 7am in the morning.

For some reason, I had some vague imprinted understanding that anything over 103 was potentially dangerous. Missed work that day and was pretty worried. 😢

Not that I have to worry about that anymore.

I dont think it was meant that way. I think it was an attempt at being funny.
I'm over it but still think it was rude. If I posted it indicating it's a funny that's one thing, but I had no clue wtf was so funny. That's the main reason I only post in threads where it's not cool to make fun of someone. This clearly was making fun of how I wrote what I meant. During this time getting a laugh off of someone's poor grammar or use of words is not cool. Jmo as obviously everyone disagrees with me. 

What the hell is Wisconsin thinking? Gov. Tony Evers refuses to delay the primaries and will bring in the national guard to help at the polls. 
I fully agree that, under the circumstances, this seems like a dumb and irresponsible decision.  You'll get no argument from me on that.

Now let's fast-forward into November.  This this thing still hasn't subsided.  Would any of us welcome individual states deciding to postpone elections?   Would any of us welcome the federal government delaying elections?  These are discussions that we really need to have now, because while they're unlikely to come up in the fall, there is definitely a non-zero probability that they'll come up.

I fully agree that, under the circumstances, this seems like a dumb and irresponsible decision.  You'll get no argument from me on that.

Now let's fast-forward into November.  This this thing still hasn't subsided.  Would any of us welcome individual states deciding to postpone elections?   Would any of us welcome the federal government delaying elections?  These are discussions that we really need to have now, because while they're unlikely to come up in the fall, there is definitely a non-zero probability that they'll come up.
I was just thinking about that the last few days.  What an epic disaster this might turn into.

I'm over it but still think it was rude. If I posted it indicating it's a funny that's one thing, but I had no clue wtf was so funny. That's the main reason I only post in threads where it's not cool to make fun of someone. This clearly was making fun of how I wrote what I meant. During this time getting a laugh off of someone's poor grammar or use of words is not cool. Jmo as obviously everyone disagrees with me. 
I apologize for upsetting you. I’m a language student too and should have known it would hurt your feelings. No unkindness was intended. 

If we are still this way in November, it doesn’t matter who the president is, the country is done. The economy can’t last like this for seven more months. 

Charlotte folks> Sugar Creek Brewery has a whole warehouse of kegs they are offering at 1/2 price. 

For those that don't know, their head brewer, Joel Vogelbacher, was featured in the Netflix movie Beers of Joy and just was awarded the level of master cicerone, the 19th man in the world to do so.

Go buy a keg of Sugar Creek!

Eta: also free (local) delivery for orders >$30.
Didn't see a way to order on their website.

ABC: Target, Walmart, Costco ordered to stop in-person sales of nonessential items in Vermont

MONTPELIER, Vt. (WZTV) - Big box retailers like Target, Walmart and Costco are being ordered to stop in-person sales of nonessential items in some areas.

Vermont Gov. Phil Scott added this to his original executive order amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Such nonessential items, as detailed by the state, include things like beauty supplies, arts and crafts, clothes, electronics and more.

Rather, according to The Agency of Commerce and Community Development, these stores are being asked to stick to items like food, pharmacy and beverages.
Stupid.  Summer will stink with no deodorant.

ABC: Target, Walmart, Costco ordered to stop in-person sales of nonessential items in Vermont

MONTPELIER, Vt. (WZTV) - Big box retailers like Target, Walmart and Costco are being ordered to stop in-person sales of nonessential items in some areas.

Vermont Gov. Phil Scott added this to his original executive order amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Such nonessential items, as detailed by the state, include things like beauty supplies, arts and crafts, clothes, electronics and more.

Rather, according to The Agency of Commerce and Community Development, these stores are being asked to stick to items like food, pharmacy and beverages.
Why?

Some selected quotes:

Italy’s official death toll from the virus stands at 13,155, the most of any country in the world. But that number tells only part of the story because many people who die from the virus don’t make it to the hospital and are never tested.

In the areas worst hit by the pandemic, Italy is undercounting thousands of deaths caused by the virus, a Wall Street Journal analysis shows, indicating that the pandemic’s human toll may end up being much greater, and infections far more widespread, than official data indicate.

Nowhere in Italy has been harder hit than Bergamo, a city of about 120,000 people. In March 2019, 125 people died in the city. This March, 553 people died. Of these, 201 deaths were officially attributed to the virus. This leaves 352 further deaths for the period, far higher than normal.

I've been ordering things from record stores. They're happy to have the business and are shipping quickly, but I'm not sure exactly where I stand vis a vis responsible consumer behavior during this time. Is it stressing the deliveries we're getting anyway with essentials, or am I being irresponsible by putting things into the stream of commerce?

Discogs is still selling things and hoping people will buy from vendors who might not make in through June (record stores are notoriously month-to-month). I don't know. It would be nice to have some guidance about the tack I've chosen. 

Just an FYI and PSA:

Fever like that isn't dangerous.  Yes, even above 104.  Our bodies won't allow temps to get high enough to cause harm.  Unless temps are getting raised due to an outside source (like being stuck in a hot car), the height of the fever isn't harmful.

There's no need for ice baths for your little ones for high fevers.  We bring fever down with medicine to help kids feel more comfortable.  Putting them in an ice bath completely defeats that purpose. 

As to what was posted above, it's pretty unlikely it was truly 106.  But glad to hear he's doing better and home.
Wow. I never knew that. Thank you.

I've been ordering things from record stores. They're happy to have the business and are shipping quickly, but I'm not sure exactly where I stand vis a vis responsible consumer behavior during this time. Is it stressing the deliveries we're getting anyway with essentials, or am I being irresponsible by putting things into the stream of commerce?

Discogs is still selling things and hoping people will buy from vendors who might not make in through June (record stores are notoriously month-to-month). I don't know. It would be nice to have some guidance about the tack I've chosen. 
I'm trying to think of things to buy during all of this that still ship

Yeah, my stuff is certainly not essential, but probably essential to those businesses. I'm trying to perform a balancing act of utility concerns. 
I think it is a good thing to do for those of us that can afford it.  Have been trying to think of new hobbies to blow money one while home.

I'm not sure exactly where I stand vis a vis responsible consumer behavior during this time. Is it stressing the deliveries we're getting anyway with essentials, or am I being irresponsible by putting things into the stream of commerce?
The stream in the Northeast is reaching the breaking point. Could be a complete meltdown in a couple of weeks with the lack of manpower 

Users who are viewing this thread