What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (23 Viewers)

There are so many oddities about this thing for sure. 

The concept of an asymptomatic superspreader is insane to me, yet this looks like exactly what happened at the biogen conference or the party in connecticut.  
We should have realize we were up the creek when people in small subsets of also every group had it; 3 NBA players, 1 NFL coach, 1 USHoR, etc.The horse was out of the barn before we even knew it was among us.

Right now these stupid kids are just "off from school" (I get that they're taking classes online, but its not the same thing) . Lets see how they feel 2 months from now when their summer vacation is ruined.

Or ya know....when their grandparents are in the hospital on a ventilator.
I'm pretty tired of this sentiment. There are tons of elderly people acting like much bigger idiots. But the media isn't out there filming granny at the craft store or getting her cake flour. 

Group of elderly people in my area were out playing pickleball. Somebody called the police on them. Now if this was a group of kids skateboarding the public would have been outraged. But nope. These are old people out there exercising. That's healthy. Shame on anybody getting upset about that!

There are so many oddities about this thing for sure. 

The concept of an asymptomatic superspreader is insane to me, yet this looks like exactly what happened at the biogen conference or the party in connecticut.  
Well, that is what bugs me. I was icon level prepping for this back in January. Wife and I have been so careful (especially with me being a type 1 diabetic).  I chose to leave the house two days ago with her and get a car side Walmart pickup (I have been in this house over ten days), but we stopped by a liquor store that I knew no one would be there that early. The owner is a germ freak and has his whole cashier area encased in plastic like a box. I grab 3 cases of beer and then not one, but two stockers come walking by me. I didn't have a mask, but had gloves. My wife (who doesn't drink) is making me feel uneasy because I was exposed in there with two people. I loaded the beer in our trunk, took my gloves off and threw them away, sanitized my hands and arms and when we got home immediately took my clothes off in the garage and showered, Overkill? Maybe?  As a high-risk person, I worry about any chance of getting this especially with the CDC moving the goalposts.

edit---yeah, I should just stop being an alcoholic and solve this--but we had planned this to last me 30 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't it a 40th birthday party?
Per the article it was indeed that. My bad. I didn't read closely enough. I heard this secondhand and the way it was relayed to me, the party was in honor of some foreign dignitaries. Perhaps the article references a party like the blurb below...italics mine. Sorry to have added to any confusion. The general point was, this woman had come into direct contact with COVID-19, had processed that the elderly gentleman who passed had had it, she had hugged him, and she was still going to p/t conferences. 

'But the Westport soirée “may be an example of the kind of thing we call a super-spreading event,” said William Hanage, an associate professor of epidemiology at Harvard, especially since some of the partygoers later attended large social events in the New York metropolitan area.'

dickey moe said:
Yes, that is the key variable. But if it can remain manageable by the medical community, then low-risk people are going to have be allowed to return to work soon. It's going to need to be within weeks, not months.
How were you able to determine this timeline? How are you defining low risk?

I realize individualism is prized in America, but this isn’t the time to place one’s own financial well-being over the health of the community.

Went searching for the tool box brand shop towel and seemed sold out most places. Found some here and order 2 6 packs. 

https://www.farmandhomesupply.com/sellars-toolbox-blue-shop-towels-6-pack-664be4ba350e06bc63c093b8a1332cd5.html

Kind of pricey shipping but figured I'd procure some and see if it will work with some home made masks my wife just got material from Joann's to make. If not, can always use some rags.

Why in the hell does the American public need to be told wearing a covering over your nose and mouth is a good idea right now?  And more important, what took them so long to suggest it?  Is there anyone who thinks wearing a mask is bad?  Sure, some moron will surely wear a plastic bag and suffocate, but they probably were gonna make the Darwin Awards eventually.

gianmarco said:
Along these lines, here's a new paper that shows that the chloroquine/azithro combo isn't effective.  Small N, however, this methodology is different and more clinical.  To summarize, the previous article that showed decrease growth from cultures when the medicine uptake is in the secretions and did not check PCRs unless those cultures were positive.  That methodology isn't clinically relevant whereas this study checked PCRs directly from secretions.

I know we are hoping for some miracle drug or drug combo, but this isn't looking like it.
There are basically four papers looking at hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19, and the results are mixed. The biggest was 62 patients, non-peer reviewed with flawed methodology. Many more studies are being conducted, but thus far it’s looking like the enthusiasm was premature.

I think the whole breathing thing is (hopefully) off too, but I am really having a hard time understanding that if just people would have washed their hands, 1000+ people wouldn't have caught it and died in the US today.  Believe me, I really want to understand this is a surface that people touched virus thing, but I am scared. How are this many people getting infected unless it is somehow in the air more than we believe? I get New York and the confines of subways and such, but it is exploding in my state of Colorado and we are way spread out with a very aggressive approach to this virus
I know of a couple in Manhattan that both have it and they've only left their apartment twice since March 2 to go to the grocery store. They did everything they were supposed to: keep social distance, don't touch face, use hand sanitizer, wash hands thoroughly when you get home. But they now have it. 

I know of a couple in Manhattan that both have it and they've only left their apartment twice since March 2 to go to the grocery store. They did everything they were supposed to: keep social distance, don't touch face, use hand sanitizer, wash hands thoroughly when you get home. But they now have it. 
Back in the days we were focusing on China there was a story about it jumping floors in an apartment building due to shared ventilation.  

You laugh, but I see a lot of that kind of "sound bite" thinking. Probably 1/2 of what we "know" about coronavirus right now will either turn out later to be flat-out wrong or incomplete.

On the point of groceries specifically: if something was never recognized to be a vector for the common cold, or for influenza, or for other viral illnesses ... I have to have serious doubts that it would be a vector for COVID. That's one way I kind of am in the "just like flu" camp -- I'm not convinced that coronavirus can exploit modes of transmission that other viruses never (really) have.

I mean ... yeah, if someone sneezes right on my can of tuna, and I go handling that can right away ... that's potential fomite transmission. But that's essentially a contrived situation. It seems like, rather, in the general run of life ... statistically, very few contagious people (with any illness) have recently handled food on the grocery shelves, or have recently handled your mail, or whatever. Sure, there's a non-zero chance -- but not something on which we bothered spending mental energy the recent past.

I think a lot of the "Lasts for nine days on surfaces! And a cool 17 days on a cruise ship!" is going to go away, too. Things just aren't the same in a lab as they are in real life (and on the cruise ship they found viral remnants, not actual viruses). Reminds me somewhat of the 1970s Canadian tests that "proved" saccharine caused cancer and that the sweetener shouldn't be used in toothpaste. To get rats to develop tumors from saccharine (or so they thought) ... they fed rats the equivalent amount of saccharine to an average-sized human man eating the saccharine out of 606 tubes of toothpaste (further reading). Um, no person has ever consumed that much toothpaste at one sitting.
Good post. The knowledge base is constantly evolving, and the available data must be interpreted with caution.

AFIK, we don't even know the infectious dose of SARS-CoV-2. Even finding complete viruses in the environment doesn't mean they are readily transmissible from surfaces in sufficient quantities to cause infection. Moreover, the idea that it can be spread by things like speaking and breathing is speculative at best.

To use everyone's favorite comparison, influenza is predominantly droplet spread. This means larger droplets which travel shorter distances (~6 feet or less) cause most infections. Hence, droplet isolation with surgical masks is recommended. But there is evidence that flu, like SARS-C0V-2, can be spread in aerosols in some situations. And the original SARS appears to have some aerosol spread, though run-of-the-mill coronaviruses are thought to be droplet.

A combination of epidemiological, environmental and experimental (usually animal) data facilitate understanding the likely mechanisms underlying infectious spread. ATM, we're still learning about this virus, so any dogmatic proclamation should be viewed with skepticism. Here is a nice review of some issues with determining aerosol spread.

IMO, things which favor some aerosol spread include: 1. similarity to SARS-CoV-1 2. the tendency to cause lower respiratory tract infection 3. higher Ro than seasonal flu - but there are many other potential reasons for this.

That being said, it certainly isn't as contagious as something like measles, the classic example of an airborne illness. 

My gestalt is it's mostly droplet spread + some fomite, with a smattering of aerosol, fecal-oral and other mechanisms. For the average person with average exposure risk, social distancing + good cough and hand hygiene will probably be sufficient to limit spread. Regarding universal masks, it's hard to know if they help by limiting droplets/aerosols from infected individuals, decrease the size of innoculum for uninfected people who are exposed, and/or prevent people from touching their faces. It's probably some combination of all three.

Went searching for the tool box brand shop towel and seemed sold out most places. Found some here and order 2 6 packs. 

https://www.farmandhomesupply.com/sellars-toolbox-blue-shop-towels-6-pack-664be4ba350e06bc63c093b8a1332cd5.html

Kind of pricey shipping but figured I'd procure some and see if it will work with some home made masks my wife just got material from Joann's to make. If not, can always use some rags.
Any idea where to find elastic? JoAnns looks wiped out.

No it's not a good article.  It's just a map of where the virus first showed up and who put in restrictions first.  If you look at the counties in the south and midwest that put in restrictions before the arbitrary date of the 28th they are white and grey also.  Furthermore, how does mobility reduce 100%?  You still have first responders, doctors, and nurses traveling to and from work and people getting groceries.
I don't understand the arbitary number of 2 miles. Large segments of America don't have the population density of big cities. I'm not just talking about rural America. it's half a mile to get out of my development.  Closest grocery store is 2.6 miles away.

Good article, first map shows travel last week and the other national map shows when each area fellow below 2 miles a day per capita

Where America Didn’t Stay Home Even as the Virus Spread

I don't understand the arbitary number of 2 miles. Large segments of America don't have the population density of big cities. I'm not just talking about rural America. it's half a mile to get out of my development.  Closest grocery store is 2.6 miles away.
Great point. I go on a bike ride each day of 5+ miles and have my phone with me. 

Mayor Duggan of Detroit starting today has ordered police to fine people gathering in larger crowds $1000.00.  Way too many people in Detroit not following social distancing.   There have been huge gathering and parties with vids of people screaming "Eff Corona..we gonna party"  Large groups still gathering and playing Basketball  at parks.   Mayor Duggan had all the rims taken off the city park BB courts as of yesterday.  Detroit is a Corona hotspot and lost 20 people yesterday alone and people won`t listen.  

CurlyNight said:
One paddler was arrested after refusing to come to shore on closed beach. Idiot.
What's the problem with paddling?

ETA: nm - already discussed

I tried looking at the link but my pop up blocker pissed it off so I passed. This is the guy I've been pimping for a week when I first saw it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mai-UqdNRi8&t=24s 

This is what I ordered off Amazon last week, probably be tougher to get now that it's getting traction from the national news.

Non-latex #33 Rubber Bands  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008X09YJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shop towels https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TRQHXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stupid, but relevent story:

My nonna used to pick food off our plates... Buy discounted/near rotting food... Threw NOTHING away...We (her kids and us grandkids) always used to bust her chops about it, because she was no longer war poor in italy.

And every single time she'd say "Pover' te" which means "poor you", and told us if the war/famine ever came again, we'd be the first to suffer and understand why she is the way she is.

Now, of course grocery shelves are half empty, but still plenty to go around... But I finally understand, without having to understand what she always meant by this.

This generation has has such a luxurious life that we are in no way mentally prepared for this. At all. I really dont know if we can make it out of this unscathed in a serious, serious way.

We're soft. stubborn. and have no understanding of real struggle (the masses, at least)

My nonna used to pick food off our plates... Buy discounted/near rotting food... Threw NOTHING away...We (her kids and us grandkids) always used to bust her chops about it, because she was no longer war poor in italy.

And every single time she'd say "Pover' te" which means "poor you", and told us if the war/famine ever came again, we'd be the first to suffer and understand why she is the way she is.

Now, of course grocery shelves are half empty, but still plenty to go around... But I finally understand, without having to understand what she always meant by this.

This generation has has such a luxurious life that we are in no way mentally prepared for this. At all. I really dont know if we can make it out of this unscathed in a serious, serious way.

We're soft. stubborn. and have no understanding of real struggle (the masses, at least)
hmmmmmmmm

I was about to criticize nonna but she may be right. 

Google’s Community Mobility Reports show how your community is moving around differently due to COVID-19.

By Country                          Italy          Spain          USA 
Retail & recreation ........... -94% ........ -94% ........ -47% 
Grocery & pharmacy ........ -85% ........ -76% ........ -22% 
Parks ................................. -90% ........ -89% ........ -19% 
Transit stations ................ -87% ........ -88% ........  -51% 
Workplaces ...................... -63% ........ -64% ........  -38% 
Residential ....................... +24%........ +22% ........ +12%

By Province/State       Lombardy     Madrid     New York 
Retail & recreation ........... -95% ........ -94% ........ -62% 
Grocery & pharmacy ........ -81% ........ -72% ........ -32% 
Parks ................................. -91% ........ -92% ........ -47% 
Transit stations ................ -89% ........ -89% ........ -68% 
Workplaces ...................... -65% ........ -65% ........ -46% 
Residential ....................... +24% ........ +22% ........ +16%
Uh oh.

We will be scarred, that's for sure. How much, nobody knows.

Some industries will probably not recover or will be very different. How comfy will we feel packing a movie theater again? How about an airplane? A concert? The ball game? Forget the fire code for maximum occupancy in buildings - we'll probably come up with some safe social distancing code. Restaurants are going to have to space things out more. Say goodbye to the all-you-can-eat buffet (no big loss).

For our homes, will anyone ever run low on TP again? Or hand soap? 

My wife is making a ton of masks for family, friends and coworkers. She was finally able to find elastic on eBay. It’s supposed to be here on Wednesday. We’ll see. 
My wife has decided that with the paucity of elastic, she is going more elaborate with parachute cord and cord locks.  We can get those parts and have material. Not sure how this will turn out though.

My wife has decided that with the paucity of elastic, she is going more elaborate with parachute cord and cord locks.  We can get those parts and have material. Not sure how this will turn out though.
That’s a pretty good idea. Let me know how it turns out please. My wife has made a few that just tie on. She said some people prefer it since you can guarantee a snug fit with a tie on. 

Back in the days we were focusing on China there was a story about it jumping floors in an apartment building due to shared ventilation.  
Friends and family I talk to in Manhattan are convinced the virus is airborne and this is exactly what is happening based on the circumstances of people contracting the disease. People who have been following all the "rules" are still getting it. 

It seems like a total horror show there. We have older family friends who are extremely ill and are being told by medical and emergency services that if they can still talk they are not sick enough to be hospitalized. 😪

Friends and family I talk to in Manhattan are convinced the virus is airborne and this is exactly what is happening based on the circumstances of people contracting the disease. People who have been following all the "rules" are still getting it. 

It seems like a total horror show there. We have older family friends who are extremely ill and are being told by medical and emergency services that if they can still talk they are not sick enough to be hospitalized. 😪
SARS evidently spread through plumbing. https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-spread-building-pipes.html

Here's a more detailed explaination https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-pipes-intl-hnk/index.html

I went through tough times as a kid.  Like really tough -- no heat and no hot water in multiple winters, no food, yard saled by the bank kind of stuff.  I know how to endure.

I'm constantly having to remind myself that my family and the people around me did not go through anything like that.  I'm glad for it, but watching them struggle with stupid stuff (i.e. anything other than we're healthy, we're safe under our own roof, we have food, we haven't lost our jobs) is hard for me.  I feel incredibly lucky and fortunate right now.

I keep thinking about the phrase "Children of Summer" from GOT. 

India punishes lockdown violators (YouTube)
As India began its three-week lockdown on Wednesday, police punished people who ventured outdoors with beatings, and in some cases, push-ups, after Prime Minister Narendra Modi ordered 21-day nationwide confinement to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus. Police enforced the lockdown by beating people with batons, and in Mumbai, Nagpur, and Mau cities law enforcement resorted to handing out sit-ups and squats in public as punishment.
Heartbreaking.  Those scenes at the end where they are handing out food and the people are packed together.  India will get crushed.

Regarding the first part, I'm thankful I live in the US.  I'll take some stray paddleboarders on the beach over authoritarian brutality any day.

My cousin is a nurse.  She posted the following on Facebook this morning...it got a little dusty here.

For those of you that love a health care worker......be patient with us, we are carrying burdens and worries I don’t know how to discuss with you or put into words.

I feel unsure, I am questioning everything I used to know, I am scared for my family, I am scared for myself and I feel unprepared to fight this fast-changing elusive killer, I feel guilty for increasing the risk for my loved ones.

I am obsessively thinking.....did I wash my hands enough, did I not touch my face today, should I change clothes outside and go straight to the shower going to be enough to keep my loved ones safe? Are we going to run out of PPE? Will I be the one that gives someone the virus that ends their life?

I struggle to sleep even though i know i need sleep to stay healthy and sharp. I want to hug my husband but I am too afraid. I want to see my dad, friends, love ones, the people I turn to when I need to feel loved and reassured. But that would be foolish and risky.

I am concerned about my work family. I see the stress on their faces. Being a nursing leader I am feeling the weight. We are trying to make the right decisions when no one really knows what the right decisions are.

The recommendations are changing daily. I am spending hours reading, learning, thinking through scenarios. Trying to be prepared for the unknown. I want to provide the best care to my team so they can provide the best care to our small patients and keep them safe.

.....so for those of you that love a health care worker, be patient with us, we are struggling and may need a little extra grace at this time.

India punishes lockdown violators (YouTube)
As India began its three-week lockdown on Wednesday, police punished people who ventured outdoors with beatings, and in some cases, push-ups, after Prime Minister Narendra Modi ordered 21-day nationwide confinement to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus. Police enforced the lockdown by beating people with batons, and in Mumbai, Nagpur, and Mau cities law enforcement resorted to handing out sit-ups and squats in public as punishment.
Thank God I live in the US. We have our issues, but public beatings aren’t one of them. 

So a week ago in an effort to get folks here to take it seriously with relatable numbers I posted on FB that in the next week we would lose twice as many people as died in the 9/11 attacks. 

As with everything having to do with this pandemic I got huge pushback and doubt. 

If 600 people pass today we will cross that mark :(  

Now for the really ####ty numbers: 

Next week.. we will have four 9/11's

The following week: a 9/11 Roughly every 6 hours. 😢

This of course assumes the model holds true and our distancing efforts have been followed enough to avoid this... it also assumes no major medical breakthroughs. 

The next two weeks are ABSOLUTELY critical. Please stay the #### at home. 

Matters seems to be trending more positive here in The Netherlands. Growth factor of new cases at or around 1 for the past week. Number of people that needed to be admitted to the hospital is down again. Only 336 today, of which 36 needed to go to the ICU. The distance policies appear to be working. Having said that, the daily death rate continues to hover around 150.  

If you have any bungee cords lying around cut them open. They are filled with elastic
This right here...'murica  :hifive:

The next two weeks are ABSOLUTELY critical. Please stay the #### at home. 
I think the crew in here now are thoroughly convinced, still way too many people out and about not taking this seriously that need to hear this from the top down. Not sure why we keep talking about states not enacting lock downs. The governor of GA ordered a shelter in place today but left the public beaches wide open  :wall:

These things really need to come from the state itself, or even better, diorectly from the president. Here in Minnesota, we have one county that has shut down all their playgrounds. Yet, that is only the county run playgrounds that span several cities/towns. So you have some playgrounds closed, yet others are still chugging along.

Too many tiers of control. It is confusing as #### to have the city say one thing, county another, and governor yet another.

Users who are viewing this thread