What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (5 Viewers)

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/22 - 255,584 reported cases - 11,350 dead - USA 33,346 cases - 414 dead

3/27 - 514,956 reported cases - 24,048 dead - USA 104,126 cases - 1,695 dead

3/28 - 581,528 reported cases - 27,551 dead - USA 123,428 cases - 2,211 dead

3/29 - 640,507 reported cases - 30,666 dead - USA 142,047 cases - 2,484 dead

3/30 - 702,911 reported cases - 34,476 dead - USA 163,479 cases - 3,148 dead

3/31 - 777,151 reported cases - 38,846 dead - USA 188,530 cases - 3,889 dead

4/1 - 852,910 reported cases - 43,863 dead - USA 214,482 cases - 5,093 dead

4/2 - 932,707 reported cases - 49,664 dead - USA  244,320 cases - 5,897 dead 

4/3 - 1,016,190 reported cases - 55,818 dead - USA 276,965 cases - 7,391 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

Kind of odd to have been doing this every night for 2 months and watch as it's gone from 277 to a million.  So sad, and seems preventable. 

The upside here is that the doubling rate has come down to 7 days. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Might not need a new board after all:

I would bet the parts dealer that sells the igniter would have one of these, too. Just need to find out where this part is and hope it's not too hard to access and get tools around.

EDIT: Bah ... the manual doesn't even mention "oven sensor" or "sensor" :(   Gotta keep Googling, maybe check YouTube.
I just have to say: the way this weaved through this thread to a possible conclusion is inspirational. Gave me a good laugh today. :lol:

:thumbup:
Weebs basically using a cheat code to fix his dishwasher was the true inspiration :D  

Gov Polis in my state is not messing around again. I didn't vote for the guy, but I have been so impressed with his handling of this crisis. He came out in his presser today and had a Colorado cotton mask on and told all Coloradans to wear masks when you are out in public. He has been out in front of this all along. I think the State should mass-produce the mask he had on and sell them with the proceeds going to a food bank or something. 

That’s fine, but they specifically told us over and over that masks aren’t necessary. They didn’t qualify it by saying if you do this and this, they presented it as an independent action. 
Again, things are still being learned about this entire situation. Not just the virus itself but how to deal with a global pandemic. It's a much different world since the last one a century ago with rampant global travel and technology. In particular, how to deal with a global pandemic where people without symptoms can infect others.

I think the idea of universal face covering is still new for us here. Perhaps the data from Asia and from other countries that are now practicing it is beginning to change our views here. It's not our culture here and I don't know of any solid data previously that shows it as an effective measure to further prevent spread. When this is all said and done, hopefully we will have data to analyze so we can deal with this better in the future.

I don't think the initial recommendations that there wasn't a need was due to keeping quantities available. Because again, countries like the Czech Republic are requiring masks but they are home made. If it was known early on, that could have been recommended here as well while retaining supplies for healthcare workers.

And even still, the recommendation is to voluntarily wear face coverings. Based on what we are seeing elsewhere, I think that's too soft. It should be required if inside any public place near others, IMO. Maybe one day we will get there. And maybe we can finally change the culture here where sick people in public wear face coverings in the future even without COVID.  I can tell you it's not something I would have ever considered recommending before but that has changed.

Based on where we are now, they were likely wrong to advocate no need for masks in public. But, again, I really don't think it was to keep supplies sufficient. And now, the mistake needs to be acknowledged and fixed moving forward.

One paddler was arrested after refusing to come to shore on closed beach. Idiot.
Not a lot of details here to go on, but can you explain why a lone individual going out kayaking (or whatever it is that you're describing) is an idiot?  That's not the sort of thing that endangers himself or others.

Edit: It occurs to me now that maybe you're saying that the arresting officer is the idiot in this story.  My apologies if I misunderstood you.  

I like watching Chris Cuomo, Cooper and Gupta talk on CNN. Poor dude is so flushed. Sweats through 7 outfits a day. Still has a great sense of humour. 

Not a lot of details here to go on, but can you explain why a lone individual going out kayaking (or whatever it is that you're describing) is an idiot?  That's not the sort of thing that endangers himself or others.
Its because if everyone started going out and doing what they wanted... yeah.

Edit: It occurs to me now that maybe you're saying that the arresting officer is the idiot in this story.  My apologies if I misunderstood you.  
All CA  beaches are closed to everyone. Gone is the 6 ft rule. There's no exception or you will have a problem with others saying well he did it. CA is strict which is why we aren't doing as bad, especially for the size of our state.

Again, things are still being learned about this entire situation. Not just the virus itself but how to deal with a global pandemic. It's a much different world since the last one a century ago with rampant global travel and technology. In particular, how to deal with a global pandemic where people without symptoms can infect others.

I think the idea of universal face covering is still new for us here. Perhaps the data from Asia and from other countries that are now practicing it is beginning to change our views here. It's not our culture here and I don't know of any solid data previously that shows it as an effective measure to further prevent spread. When this is all said and done, hopefully we will have data to analyze so we can deal with this better in the future.

I don't think the initial recommendations that there wasn't a need was due to keeping quantities available. Because again, countries like the Czech Republic are requiring masks but they are home made. If it was known early on, that could have been recommended here as well while retaining supplies for healthcare workers.

And even still, the recommendation is to voluntarily wear face coverings. Based on what we are seeing elsewhere, I think that's too soft. It should be required if inside any public place near others, IMO. Maybe one day we will get there. And maybe we can finally change the culture here where sick people in public wear face coverings in the future even without COVID.  I can tell you it's not something I would have ever considered recommending before but that has changed.

Based on where we are now, they were likely wrong to advocate no need for masks in public. But, again, I really don't think it was to keep supplies sufficient. And now, the mistake needs to be acknowledged and fixed moving forward.
That’s a pretty long winded answer But it really doesn’t address the issue. Not sure why they couldn’t of simply said we aren’t sure yet if masks help? They didn’t do that, they acted as if they knew.

Yeah, I was referring to all cases.  The post I was replying to was suggesting that counting COVID deaths wasn't going to be accurate (I agree) and that we should just subtract the normal amount of deaths from the actual deaths.  My point was that deaths in the US have plummeted this year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see life expectancy to actually go up this year despite declining 5 of the last 6 years.  Auto insurance rates will also drop next year.
Hopefully you're right, but I'd be shocked if overall death rate in the US goes down this year.

All CA  beaches are closed to everyone. Gone is the 6 ft rule. There's no exception or you will have a problem with others saying well he did it. CA is strict which is why we aren't doing as bad, especially for the size of our state.
Maybe he didn’t want to paddle ashore because the beach was closed? 

*Even in this serious thread, this is a joke.

This is a fair point, but it doesn't make the guy you described an idiot.  It's just an inherent drawback to zero-tolerance policies.  We need to close beaches so that people don't congregate -- that's great.  But there's nothing risky about a person strolling along the beach all by themselves or with a family member.

Maybe he didn’t want to paddle ashore because the beach was closed? 

*Even in this serious thread, this is a joke.
I think they left him out there until he had to swim back. Wish the video clip showed the whole thing. It's funny but what a waste of resources just to get people to obey the temporary law.

You still don't need to wear a mask.

You need to maintain a 6-foot distance from other people, you need to wash your hands thoroughly and regularly, and you need to not touch your face.
I am doing all of these except for the bolded, which goes against every natural instinct I have. It's crazy. This could be my life and I subconsciously can't heed the advice given here. Habit is a tough mountain to move or molehill quashed. The littlest things are now so existentially crucial.

This is a fair point, but it doesn't make the guy you described an idiot.  It's just an inherent drawback to zero-tolerance policies.  We need to close beaches so that people don't congregate -- that's great.  But there's nothing risky about a person strolling along the beach all by themselves or with a family member.
He's an idiot to defy the temporary LAW here. No one is above the law. Glad he was arrested. In SF you get educated the first time. Second time, that's it, for both individuals and businesses. It's not a request. Again, there is a reason why WA and CA are fairing better than other high case numbers states. Is it a wonder why other states slowly follow are lead. There's no exception here. Deal with it. Get your fresh air elsewhere. 

I am doing all of these except for the bolded, which goes against every natural instinct I have. It's crazy. This could be my life and I subconsciously can't heed the advice given here. Habit is a tough mountain to move or molehill quashed. The littlest things are now so existentially crucial.
Wear gloves. It’s pretty much the only reason I wear them. It definitely prevents me from touching my face. 

I don't think death rate will, but life expectancy has a shot at going up.
Not sure I understand that math, but I don't think a one year increase is relevant in any event. Especially considering our recent decrease in life expectancy is fueled by the "diseases of despair" - alcohol abuse/liver disease, opioid abuse and suicide.

He's an idiot to defy the temporary LAW here. No one is above the law. Glad he was arrested. In SF you get educated the first time. Second time, that's it, for both individuals and businesses. It's not a request. Again, there is a reason why WA and CA are fairing better than other high case numbers states. Is it a wonder why other states slowly follow are lead. There's no exception here. Deal with it. Get your fresh air elsewhere. 
This is true. Why people don’t understand this is baffling. The rules aren’t just for “other people”. WA and CA are doing better. They started earlier and it’s more strictly enforced. Not a coincidence anymore. This isn’t normal times to be defending individual rights, which I strongly believe in when people aren’t dying by the thousands due to an unprecedented pandemic. Wake up.

What about when it's all over and you have everything past due, due. Dude is scared and isn't able to see any light for himself. 
I feel a great deal of compassion for those people that are financially affected by this. A ton. I'm so lucky to be where I am at this point in time, lucky to not have to worry about things like that...yet. Further strains will place further strains upon my position, and I cannot but help have a heart go out to anyone who cannot afford to make it through these times. I may be among them soon.

Yet I think you're engaging in hyperbole and misrepresenting situations. I don't care for that. Misery might not love your company. This thread might be a lot of things according to a lot of people; for me, it's no stomping grounds for a miserabilist.

• Love
Reactions: SWC
Sometimes laws are dumb, or they have dumb consequences.  From what you're describing, this sounds like one of those times.  I say that as somebody who's barely left the house in three weeks, but I get that there's no danger involved in being outdoors. 

Today's numbers (actually "yesterday's" by the time I grabbed it) on Covid worldometers not so great.  New cases up slightly from yesterday (80,000+) , and in increase in deaths over yesterday.  U.S. cases increased, and deaths were a fair amount higher.  A bit concerning are numbers in Africa.  The counts are small (< 1,000 in every country), but the increases are often from 20-65% over the day before.  Exponential growth in many of those countries that aren't as capable of social distancing and handling the critically ill would be a serious concern.

Sometimes laws are dumb, or they have dumb consequences.  From what you're describing, this sounds like one of those times.  I say that as somebody who's barely left the house in three weeks, but I get that there's no danger involved in being outdoors. 
Like I said, our "dumb" temporary laws are a big part of the reason we are fairing better. That and moving quickly on social distancing. Who ever thought Trump would praise CA and WA?

Back in January, me and a bunch of other people in this thread were pushing back hard on the notion that covid-19 is just the flu, or that it's less dangerous than hippo attacks.  Now I think it's time that some of us start to push back on the notion that it's dangerous to go outside for solo recreation or that you're a monster if you go to the grocery store or Home Depot.  This thread has gotten kind of weird in the other direction.  

you have to treat people like kindergartner's.  johnny's out paddle boarding, i'm going out too!!   there are umpteen million people, 30 miles from that beach.  if you allow 1, gotta allow them all.

to me, this guy embodies the immeasurable arrogance and selfishness, of those that just can't stay the bleep home.  the jack hole ignored the lifeguards commands, for 30-40 minutes to get out of the water.  and only went to shore once the police boat arrived.  idiot.

NorvilleBarnes said:
It probably makes you super-cognizant of your hands, what they've touched, and that you shouldn't be touching your face with them.  I don't wear gloves when I'm out, but I find that imagining my hands to be red after they've touched a potentially unclean surface helps a lot with the urge to touch my face.

DA RAIDERS said:
you have to treat people like kindergartner's.  johnny's out paddle boarding, i'm going out too!!   there are umpteen million people, 30 miles from that beach.  if you allow 1, gotta allow them all.

to me, this guy embodies the immeasurable arrogance and selfishness, of those that just can't stay the bleep home.  the jack hole ignored the lifeguards commands, for 30-40 minutes to get out of the water.  and only went to shore once the police boat arrived.  idiot.
There is nothing wrong with not staying home.  I am going out for a run tomorrow morning with my wife.  We're going to be fine, and we're not harming anybody.  Covid-19 is not hanging out there in the atmosphere.  It is anti-science to suggest otherwise.  

Outdoors in a crowd = bad.  Outdoors by yourself = fine.  This isn't difficult, and it's not a confusing grey area.  It's a nice clear bright line.

IvanKaramazov said:
Back in January, me and a bunch of other people in this thread were pushing back hard on the notion that covid-19 is just the flu, or that it's less dangerous than hippo attacks.  Now I think it's time that some of us start to push back on the notion that it's dangerous to go outside for solo recreation or that you're a monster if you go to the grocery store or Home Depot.  This thread has gotten kind of weird in the other direction.  
Depends on whom you're pushing back. There seems to be a group that believe themselves the only arbiters of truth and any differing opinions are "conspiracy". I'm just glad some are warming up to the idea that China's info is unreliable. Good luck.

It probably makes you super-cognizant of your hands, what they've touched, and that you shouldn't be touching your face with them.  I don't wear gloves when I'm out, but I find that imagining my hands to be red after they've touched a potentially unclean surface helps a lot with the urge to touch my face.
That;s sort of what I thought but I was thinking the difference between "gloves remind me not to touch my face" and "glove prevent me from touching my face".

tri-man 47 said:
Today's numbers (actually "yesterday's" by the time I grabbed it) on Covid worldometers not so great.  New cases up slightly from yesterday (80,000+) , and in increase in deaths over yesterday.  U.S. cases increased, and deaths were a fair amount higher.  A bit concerning are numbers in Africa.  The counts are small (< 1,000 in every country), but the increases are often from 20-65% over the day before.  Exponential growth in many of those countries that aren't as capable of social distancing and handling the critically ill would be a serious concern.
I have a feeling that the way we will know that some of the densely populated and poorer countries are in trouble, is when we see their hospitals collapse.  It’s hard for me to believe they will test accurately.

CurlyNight said:
Not surprised. I'm sure Ellen DeGeneres did as well. They do nice giveaways during normal times. 
I’m sure she didn’t. I don’t deny that she is generous, but please don’t post things as seeming facts when they aren’t. 
For the record, Oprah donated 10M, which is awesome, but again, it isn’t 100M. 

There is nothing wrong with not staying home.  I am going out for a run tomorrow morning with my wife.  We're going to be fine, and we're not harming anybody.  Covid-19 is not hanging out there in the atmosphere.  It is anti-science to suggest otherwise.  

Outdoors in a crowd = bad.  Outdoors by yourself = fine.  This isn't difficult, and it's not a confusing grey area.  It's a nice clear bright line.
There is something wrong, however, with paddle boarding on a closed beach.

i agree.  the problem is, if everyone decides to go for a run on the same path as you and your wife, we get http://data/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZ.../7QD7ihgNdNVYqCPfOvhyLp1tqT9RNdVEXD1pKdio/9k=this  i don't know where you live, but there are millions of people in LA, going stir crazy.  if allowed, the beaches would be packed.

Users who are viewing this thread