Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Recommended Posts

A couple of articles out of India talking about how if even 80% of the population would wear masks, this virus can be controlled...

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/science/homemade-masks-to-overcome-shortage/article31228542.ece

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/coronavirus-outbreak-can-be-stopped-if-80-pc-population-wears-masks-63668

 

Quote

Marking a major shift in strategy from the existing rules on masks, a government guidance on masks on Tuesday said once 80 per cent of population wears masks outbreak of coronavirus can be stopped immediately. 

 

Quote

Adviser to the Prime Minister says “analyses show if 50% of the population were to wear masks, only 50% of the population would be infected by the virus. Once 80% of the population wears a mask, the outbreak can be stopped immediately”.

 

This link from the first article provides instructions on how to make a homemade mask...

http://164.100.117.97/WriteReadData/userfiles/FINAL MASK MANUAL.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dezbelief said:

 

Wearing a mask while doing cardio has been a thing for a while, it limits oxygen intake supposedly mimicking high altitude training. 

That's fine but not a n95 mask that is badly needed for our medical staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An alternative sterilization source we have been using is  steramine tablets. One tablet per gallon of water. We have them mixed in spray bottles around our house.

Good around food areas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you guys talk about wearing masks when out in public, is that only when going somewhere with a bunch of other people (e.g. grocery stores)?  I go for long walks 1-2x a day around my town just to get some fresh air and scenery, I don't pass many other people while I'm out and when I do we always give a wide berth so I'm never within 6 feet of anyone the entire time. Any real reason for me to be wearing a mask while doing that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Look, I am not going to argue you with you anymore and appreciate your insight in this thread and that you are on the front lines of this.  I am just passing along the info I have from conversations with a personal friend who is on the front lines at an overwhelmed hospital in NJ that surgical masks are not sufficient protection in a healthcare setting but they don't have enough n95 masks to take proper precautions .  As I said earlier, she is an infectious disease doctor.  

Also, check out that instagram page if you want to see pictures of what people are wearing in NYC.  

You obviously are a smart guy and can make decisions for yourself but thought it was worth passing along this info that I have.  You are free to ignore as you want but if I were in your situation and you have n95 masks available I would use them.  

:hifive:

I do appreciate your posts and sharing your experience as well.  I really do.  For the same reasons, I'm simply trying to offer up perspective so that everyone can stay as safe as possible but without added fear/worry/inconvenience.  In the end, we all have to make decisions that we feel are right for us and for our families.  As long as people are at least doing the minimum to keep themselves and others safe, you won't get any arguments from me.  These are some uncharted waters we're in and we are all still learning how to best navigate through this. 

I'll also add that we get our recommendations from a multitude of infectious disease doctors who remain in contact with ID doctors throughout the country.  Those in NYC and other hot spots communicate what they are seeing and what they are doing and that information is disseminated to help other communities and hospitals and physicians act appropriately.  I, too, have some ID physician friends and have not been warned as above.  I think setting and situation matters in terms of what's needed and it's possible that wasn't conveyed.  If your ID friend is truly advocating for all workers in all settings to wear N95 masks, that would be the first I'm hearing/reading about it.  I will certainly be looking into it more and keep out for any new information on it so thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

When you guys talk about wearing masks when out in public, is that only when going somewhere with a bunch of other people (e.g. grocery stores)?  I go for long walks 1-2x a day around my town just to get some fresh air and scenery, I don't pass many other people while I'm out and when I do we always give a wide berth so I'm never within 6 feet of anyone the entire time. Any real reason for me to be wearing a mask while doing that?

No.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who don't watch Cuomo at night on CNN it's interesting to follow how he's doing with covid. He's had rigors and wild hallucinations. Says it's brutal.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CurlyNight said:

For those who don't watch Cuomo at night on CNN it's interesting to follow how he's doing with covid. He's had rigors and wild hallucinations. Says it's brutal.

He's certainly in a position to educate on a singular case basis what COVID might do. I wish him the best. I can only imagine if things get severe, he'll be getting top-notch medical care, but who knows in these uncertain times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

DNC moved to Aug.

DNC moving is very significant symbolically, but it is just the celebratory crown on the victor's head, though. The real meat is in the election cycle and dates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

For those who don't watch Cuomo at night on CNN it's interesting to follow how he's doing with covid. He's had rigors and wild hallucinations. Says it's brutal.

Wonder how much of that is true and how much of it is to generate ratings.

Also, what are rigors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BassNBrew said:

Wonder how much of that is true and how much of it is to generate ratings.

Also, what are rigors?

Yeah, let's assume a guy who has the coronavirus is lying about symptoms

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

When you guys talk about wearing masks when out in public, is that only when going somewhere with a bunch of other people (e.g. grocery stores)?  I go for long walks 1-2x a day around my town just to get some fresh air and scenery, I don't pass many other people while I'm out and when I do we always give a wide berth so I'm never within 6 feet of anyone the entire time. Any real reason for me to be wearing a mask while doing that?

Nope. Just wash your hands if you touch anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

:hifive:

I do appreciate your posts and sharing your experience as well.  I really do.  For the same reasons, I'm simply trying to offer up perspective so that everyone can stay as safe as possible but without added fear/worry/inconvenience.  In the end, we all have to make decisions that we feel are right for us and for our families.  As long as people are at least doing the minimum to keep themselves and others safe, you won't get any arguments from me.  These are some uncharted waters we're in and we are all still learning how to best navigate through this. 

I'll also add that we get our recommendations from a multitude of infectious disease doctors who remain in contact with ID doctors throughout the country.  Those in NYC and other hot spots communicate what they are seeing and what they are doing and that information is disseminated to help other communities and hospitals and physicians act appropriately.  I, too, have some ID physician friends and have not been warned as above.  I think setting and situation matters in terms of what's needed and it's possible that wasn't conveyed.  If your ID friend is truly advocating for all workers in all settings to wear N95 masks, that would be the first I'm hearing/reading about it.  I will certainly be looking into it more and keep out for any new information on it so thank you.

I am guessing the difference is context we are talking about. These situations I am referring to are full fledge Covid wards/hospital completely swamped and basically full with just Covid patients.  That turns basically everything into super high risk as has been described to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shader said:

Yeah, let's assume a guy who has the coronavirus is lying about symptoms

I was just asking a question, not making an assertion.  No different than you questioning China's numbers.  I haven't read much about hallucinations being a symptom.  Not much about it on the mayoclinic, etc.  I have read where that is something that happens with small children with a fever.  One could call a dream a hallucination...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

I am guessing the difference is context we are talking about. These situations I am referring to are full fledge Covid wards/hospital completely swamped and basically full with just Covid patients.  That turns basically everything into super high risk as has been described to me.  

The video gianmarco posted is from a doctor in that exact scenario. And even that doctor said that they only wear an N95 mask if they're in direct contact with an infected patient in that patient's room. Otherwise, they're wearing regular masks, or they're wearing no mask at all (like when they're just walking down the hallway).

Then again, these guys have easy access to hand sanitizer, and they're well-trained in the practice of not touching your face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I was just asking a question, not making an assertion.  No different than you questioning China's numbers.  I haven't read much about hallucinations being a symptom.  Not much about it on the mayoclinic, etc.  I have read where that is something that happens with small children with a fever.  One could call a dream a hallucination...

Hallucinations are not a specific symptom of COVID, but a common symptom of high fevers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

ABC: Disaster in motion: 3.4 million travelers poured into US as coronavirus pandemic erupted

Travel data of passengers arriving in the United States from China during the critical period in December, January and February, when the disease took hold in that country, shows a stunning 759,493 people entered the U.S.

NYC Advice on 1/25/20

:unsure:

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, beer 30 said:

If this is considered political, let me know and I’ll delete it.

Pentagon paper from 2017 predicting a respiratory viral pandemic and the response. Scroll to line 396 and then to line 2657. We’re not dumb, just stupid.

https://www.scribd.com/document/454422848/Pentagon-Influenza-Response#from_embed

The paper has a Jan 6, 2017 date. If it was published 2 weeks later after Trump became POTUS, it either did not get much attention or got lost during the transition.

Edited by bradyfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I was just asking a question, not making an assertion.  No different than you questioning China's numbers.  I haven't read much about hallucinations being a symptom.  Not much about it on the mayoclinic, etc.  I have read where that is something that happens with small children with a fever.  One could call a dream a hallucination...

 

I've had really high fevers with the flu. Once, I was trippin' so bad I swear I saw God. I even told him that I didn't believe in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, moleculo said:

welp, my wife has come down with a cough and has been tired lately.  Obviously, your mind jumps to the worst, but in reality, it's probably allergy season (pollen has been especially bad) coupled with not sleeping well due to anxiety.  No fever and the cough isn't persistent so I don't think she has the Rona.  Still, we are starting to make preparations to quarantine her in the basement for a couple of weeks.  Our basement is fully furninshed, two guest bedrooms, it's own bathroom with shower, mini-fridge, microwave, large screen TV and sofa - she'll be fine here.  also, it means that if we suspect she may be positive, we aren't leaving the house except for walks in the 'hood. 

How long do we wait for this to progress (or not) before one of us can go for groceries or the like?

Mrs Moleculo has begrudgingly accepted her basement quarantine.  Cough is still there, probably getting worse.  No fever, slightly tired but no other signs of illness.  This is especially tough for her as she is the extrovert of us - I haven't left the house in several days and am totally fine, whereas being confined is really killing her.  For shopping: our oldest is 23 years old - he will be taking care of that.  Heck, if I were to go down, we will enlist him to take care of the kids until we are upright again.  

Regarding the mask discussion: the Mrs. made 5 masks yesterday and is making more today.  Obviously, before wearing them we will do what we can to sterilize them - spray lysol or something.  There have been lots of how-to videos floating aorund on social media, she was able to put some together from left over fabrics.

Downside is my home office was in the basement.  Now, I guess I'm working from the dining room table.    Also, my brewery is in the basement .  :kicksrock:  1st world problems, I know.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I was just asking a question, not making an assertion.  No different than you questioning China's numbers.  I haven't read much about hallucinations being a symptom.  Not much about it on the mayoclinic, etc.  I have read where that is something that happens with small children with a fever.  One could call a dream a hallucination...

 

i've been hospitalized a handful of times over the past 20 years with pnuemonia, had to be quarantined for one back in '05 - one of the symptons is delusion, which can lead to hallucinations - it's prevalent in severe pneumonia cases, i know first hand ... last time i was hospitalized was 2011, and that night i was rambling incoherently, along with (according to my gf) slight foaming at the mouth. 

i was delerious. 

so i would not discount hallucinations if the virus has an end game of severe pneumonia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Today's, slightly down from yesterday, but not much. I imagine this to be the jagged chart line still very much on the upswing, for another couple of weeks at the minimum:

143 new hospitalizations (1498 total)

52 new on vents (490 total)

54 new deaths (273 total)

6809 new tests complete (45776 total)

1187 new positives (6424 total)

for a 17.4% positive rate of new cases to new tests performed...

 

Today's expected large jump, but still... :eek: 

141 new hospitalizations (1639 total)

17 new on vents (507 total)

37 new deaths (310 total)

5310 new tests complete (47185 total)

2726 new positives (9150 total)

for a 51.3% positive rate of new cases out of 5310 new tests performed ... damn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

The paper has a Jan 6, 2017 date. If it was published 2 weeks later after Trump became POTUS, it either did not get much attention or got lost during the transition.

I'm sure it did, I'm also sure, regardless of the administration, it probably got the same amount of attention. Just don't think we ever thought it would happen in the US like we always do.

Again, doesn't mean we aren't smart, obviously we knew of the potential, we're just stupid because we didn't listen and prepare accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might bring some levity. My wife showed me a Facebook post from someone who knows through a workout group:

"Did anyone ever wonder how it's such a coincidence that the Corona Virus and the collapse of the economy are happening at the same time? Based on what I know about history, this is too big to be random. Someone needs to look into this." 

  • Laughing 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wtf?? Death threats for Fauci?? They've beefed up security for him. Poor guy isn't under enough stress already.. :angry:

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Can dogs/cats transfer it to humans?  Like if I let the cat out in the neighborhood & pet it, or let the dogs lick my face?  

The recommendation in DK is wash your hands before and after you pet your pets. As for letting them lick you in the face: Ewwwww. And you know it's not so smart, right?

Edited by msommer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

This might bring some levity. My wife showed me a Facebook post from someone who knows through a workout group:

"Did anyone ever wonder how it's such a coincidence that the Corona Virus and the collapse of the economy are happening at the same time? Based on what I know about history, this is too big to be random. Someone needs to look into this." 

 Just SO MANY possible responses to this...

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa, Florida reported 209 deaths today.  Only had 101 total deaths previously

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

The video gianmarco posted is from a doctor in that exact scenario. And even that doctor said that they only wear an N95 mask if they're in direct contact with an infected patient in that patient's room. Otherwise, they're wearing regular masks, or they're wearing no mask at all (like when they're just walking down the hallway).

Then again, these guys have easy access to hand sanitizer, and they're well-trained in the practice of not touching your face.

yup, I am aware of that as I have watched the video.  I am just saying what I heard from a direct friend who is in a similar position which is they want everyone to wear n95 masks in that situation but they don't have enough to do it.  

Edited by Redwes25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Also, my brewery is in the basement

Free the beer!!! Rise up against Oppression. Down with Tyrranny!!!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wearing masks should help reduce the spread of the virus.  Wearing an N95 properly should reduce your chance of contracting the disease through inhalation.   I wish the dummies that are wearing N95s over beards would stop wasting them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, glock said:

I've had really high fevers with the flu. Once, I was trippin' so bad I swear I saw God. I even told him that I didn't believe in him.

It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shader said:

Whoa, Florida reported 209 deaths today.  Only had 101 total deaths previously

:cry:

:tfp:

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, msommer said:

The recommendation in DK is wash your hands before and after you pet your pets. As for letting them lick you in the face: Ewwwww. And you know it's not so smart, right?

Well I watched this video from a vet in Vancouver.  He seems pretty knowledgeable.  He argues that pets have built in immunities to viruses.  Also said that animal fur is hostile to viruses.  Doesn’t seem like there’s any serious evidence that dogs/cats can be infectious to humans.

I guess my real question was the worst case scenario, if a dog licks a surface with covid19 and then licks my mouth a couple minutes later can I get it.  

And yeah I kiss my dogs, get off my back!!  I love my little boneys!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Wearing masks should help reduce the spread of the virus.  Wearing an N95 properly should reduce your chance of contracting the disease through inhalation.   I wish the dummies that are wearing N95s over beards would stop wasting them.  

yeah, it's probably time to shave the coronabeard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Italy had 4668 new cases and 760 new death.  Numbers remain flat but really hoping/wishing that they would start decreasing at this point.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

The video gianmarco posted is from a doctor in that exact scenario. And even that doctor said that they only wear an N95 mask if they're in direct contact with an infected patient in that patient's room. Otherwise, they're wearing regular masks, or they're wearing no mask at all (like when they're just walking down the hallway).

Then again, these guys have easy access to hand sanitizer, and they're well-trained in the practice of not touching your face.

Actually, that's not even what he said. He said he only wears it during an interaction that would aersolize the virus. He didn't clarify what that is, but I can for you:

1. Intubation -- Inserting a breathing tube to help them breathe and get them on a ventilator

2. CPR/code, which often involves number 1 if they aren't intubated already.

3. Endoscopy/bronchoscopy 

4. Nebulized medications administration like albuterol. We've actually switched to given albuterol mostly with inhalers however there is a shortage of them (prior to COVID, fwiw).

That's pretty much it. Those procedures don't happen often for a single patient. A critical care doctor like him might be doing 5-10 intubations/day with this going on (maybe even more), but the rest of the time, even direct contact isn't what he was describing.

Just talking to a patient or examining a patient is not what he was describing as needing an N95 mask. Now, if someone comes into the ER or gets transferred to the ICU, if they are really sick, he may start wearing it due to the anticipation of possibly having to emergently perform one of those procedures, but that's it.

Hope that clarifies.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RKelly said:

Grain of salt warning: This is not a study with a control group. It's a doctor giving the regimen to his patients and observing the results.

Dr. Steven Smith: Hydroxychloroquine Works; "This is the beginning of the end of coronavirus"

Cards on the table: Without corroboration, I don't want to accept anything at face value from Fox News or any online conservative news outlet. I understand some also feel that way about old-line news organizations like the Big 3 broadcast networks, BBC, Reuters, NYT, etc. WSJ is traditionally conservative, but I don't believe they're getting behind the "we have the cure!" stories.

IMHO, the trouble with the right-leaning news is they are too often giving their readers "easy outs" -- "Just take chloroquine! Just wear a mask! Business as usual can return -- we have the cure and a prevention strategy!"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Italy had 4668 new cases and 760 new death.  Numbers remain flat but really hoping/wishing that they would start decreasing at this point.  

For the third straight day recoveries were over 1,000 

ETA and over the number of dead that day

Edited by msommer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, shader said:

Whoa, Florida reported 209 deaths today.  Only had 101 total deaths previously

Sad but Florida’s gonna get slammed. Older population, people fleeing there from other states, idiot Governor, way behind in closing off the state and allowing gatherings. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Cards on the table: Without corroboration, I don't want to accept anything at face value from Fox News or any online conservative news outlet. I understand some also feel that way about old-line news organizations like the Big 3 broadcast networks, BBC, Reuters, NYT, etc. WSJ is traditionally conservative, but I don't believe they're getting behind the "we have the cure!" stories.

IMHO, the trouble with the right-leaning news is they are too often giving their readers "easy outs" -- "Just take chloroquine! Just wear a mask! Business as usual can return -- we have the cure and a prevention strategy!"

Honestly, that sounds like a personal bias. I posted something on this from the NYT last night that actually cites a small controlled study having success.

But if you'd take news from MSNBC but not Fox (as your post makes it sound), may want to take a long look in the mirror while shaving that coronabeard. Still love ya, Dougie.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Today's expected large jump, but still... :eek: 

(Louisiana stats - db)

...

5310 new tests complete (47185 total)

2726 new positives (9150 total)

for a 51.3% positive rate of new cases out of 5310 new tests performed ... damn!

I remember early on, the positive rate was about 45% ... like over the first week or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Wtf?? Death threats for Fauci?? They've beefed up security for him. Poor guy isn't under enough stress already.. :angry:

Really, people? The coronavirus was not his fault. If Dr. Fauci decided to sit this one out back in February, the economy still gets fubarred in exactly the same way. Maybe worse.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.