What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

I have had great experience with WalMart pickup.  Just open my trunk and they put it in, step back about 15 feet and I inspect the trunk.    We nod and then I leave.  No extra fee and I do all my shopping online.
No tip?

for those wearing masks in public, do you wear one if just going for a walk around the neighborhood?  or only if going to a grocery store or other place where you will be in doors or closer to people?
I wear them when going indoors to Walmart or any other indoor activity. Indoors where I am in Florida, the trend is catching on. Prob 15% of people I see at this point have a face covering as of now.

For a walk around the neighborhood, we just make sure to be away from other people. 

For those wondering what the actual costs of Instacart look like, our shopper accidentally (I assume?) left the receipt in our bag last week.

We got $288 worth of groceries according to the receipt. We paid Instacart $399. The service itself was pretty awesome, but won’t be using again at those prices.
Mine also left the receipt, but it wasn't nearly that bad. I paid $115-ish for $100-ish worth of groceries. Given the hour they spent shopping, the 5 mile drive to and from my house, and the front porch drop off... I was happy to pay $15 to avoid the crowd. However, I'd think twice on $110. 

I haven’t driven my second car in a while now. Does gas in a car go bad? How long does it last? Can I simply drive the car around to keep it fresh or do I have to use up the full tank before this expiration date? 
a mechanic once told me the only worry is getting water in the tank after not using it for some time, and he suggested keeping the tank full (or ocmpletely empty) if you're gonna do that

I wear them when going indoors to Walmart or any other indoor activity. Indoors where I am in Florida, the trend is catching on. Prob 15% of people I see at this point have a face covering as of now.

For a walk around the neighborhood, we just make sure to be away from other people. 
Same here. 

For those wondering what the actual costs of Instacart look like, our shopper accidentally (I assume?) left the receipt in our bag last week.

We got $288 worth of groceries according to the receipt. We paid Instacart $399. The service itself was pretty awesome, but won’t be using again at those prices.
Try Shipt.  99 dollar annual fee, and then no delivery fee over 35 bucks.  If you’re planning on doing it for a long time, it’s totally worth it.

I haven’t driven my second car in a while now. Does gas in a car go bad? How long does it last? Can I simply drive the car around to keep it fresh or do I have to use up the full tank before this expiration date? 

I remember there was some discussion of this in TWD thread, I can’t believe it’s actually relevant now. 
I'm currently getting like 2 weeks to the gallon.

Put it in the positives thread?

When we used Shipt last year, I noticed they jacked up the prices quite a bit too.  We were using them for Publix and Target.

Shipt which is Texas version of instacart is overwhelmed and unable to take orders now. 
Don’t think this is true nationwide. My wife drives for Shipt and is out now making deliveries. 

It’s been a tough decision figuring out whether she should keep doing it. She’s always been a clean freak so she sanitizes  and washes hands like crazy. The money is unreal right now.  And she also has people that greet her in tears because they are scared to leave the house so she feels like she needs to do it. 

So after spending a few days before the shutdowns being prepared and bulking up on supplies, including a good amount of canned goods. Well, my damn can opener broke today, never even thought of having a backup...its just something we always had.  :rant: :bag:
I forget how to off the top of my head but I do know there is a fairly simple solution. Google it and I am sure it is not hard to find. 

Surgeon general commercial pointed out over 65 and health conditions need to social distance 6 ft. Didn't say everyone. How misleading. 

I remember there was some discussion of this in TWD thread, I can’t believe it’s actually relevant now. 
Buy some STA-BIL if you are worried but you have a few months for it to go bad.

I would just start it up and drive once every couple of weeks

There will be documentaries and movies about people getting sick, dying, and being trapped on cruise ships during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Maa family tradegy on the Coral Princess is unfolding before us at the Port of Miami. The father, Wilson,  was not evacuated to a local hospital as were other very sick people when the shipped docked yesterday. Then he got sicker, was manually ventilated on the ship, and it took the family 5 hours to get him to a local hospital, after calling 911, where he died hours later. Lots of runaround. Now, the mother Toyling is getting sicker on the ship and facing a similar dilemma, as the daughter pleads for help from the Miami Herald, Local 10 and Princess Cruises:

"Dad passed away last night. Thanks for all your support. Now my mom Toyling Maa is waiting for her ambulance. Been waiting over an hour. Please, I can't go through this again."

https://mobile.twitter.com/julieformusic/status/1246824695619616770

https://mobile.twitter.com/harrisalexc

There are 4 large hospitals within 10 minutes of the ship. Mount Sinai, Mercy, UM Health and Jackson Memorial. The father was sent to the lowest-rated hospital about 30 minutes away. I'm not sure what gives. The daughter is reaching out to the Florida SG via Twitter. 

Miami Mayor Francisco Suarez responds on Twitter,: "Julie please DM me."

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't make a comment, I asked a question. I had read about plane loads of people flying down from the NY/NJ/CT area to Florida (I'm from NJ,) but no one I know did so. I read that FL was forcing everyone that went down to self-quarantine for 14 days, I was wondering if that was the case and how they monitor/enforce that. 

I would have followed up with a few questions, but decided not to after reading your response. Enjoy the warm weather. 
Okay, the reason for my defensive response is bc people frown upon what I did, even though I’ve been here for a month already and was way out in front of it.

I didn’t deal with any problems at any borders or anything along those lines bc I was here early enough.

SHIZNITTTT said:
Risk my life for that extra item I may have forgotten or today's dinner need an Avodaco.   Got it.       We have a long way to go America.
Still not prepared to accept that going to the grocery — while taking precautions — is dangerous enough to be considered life-risking.

So after spending a few days before the shutdowns being prepared and bulking up on supplies, including a good amount of canned goods. Well, my damn can opener broke today, never even thought of having a backup...its just something we always had.  :rant: :bag:
Sorry man that sucks. When I was thinking about getting ready back in January, this was one of the events that came to mind that could happen, so I went to the dollar store and bought 3 of them then. 

Where I didn't plan, is propane. I ordered all this meat and was squared away there---my tank quit last night in the middle of making dinner. Now I am screwed and going to have to make a 6:00 am Lowes run this week. 

You just can't think of everything I guess. 

So we’re spending less money and obviously not traveling anytime soon. My wife is having a pretty hard time with this and so I’d like to splurge on something that we can enjoy at home. Any ideas?

The beginnings of our National Pandemic planning in 2005

In a November 2005 speech at the National Institutes of Health, Bush laid out proposals in granular detail -- describing with stunning prescience how a pandemic in the United States would unfold. Among those in the audience was Dr. Anthony Fauci, the leader of the current crisis response, who was then and still is now the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

"A pandemic is a lot like a forest fire," Bush said at the time. "If caught early it might be extinguished with limited damage. If allowed to smolder, undetected, it can grow to an inferno that can spread quickly beyond our ability to control it."

The president recognized that an outbreak was a different kind of disaster than the ones the federal government had been designed to address.

"To respond to a pandemic, we need medical personnel and adequate supplies of equipment," Bush said. "In a pandemic, everything from syringes to hospital beds, respirators masks and protective equipment would be in short supply."

George W. Bush in 2005: 'If we wait for a pandemic to appear, it will be too late to prepare'

A book about the 1918 flu pandemic spurred the government to action.

By

Matthew Mosk

April 5, 2020, 4:08 AM

George W. Bush paved way for global pandemic planningThe former U.S. president stressed the importance of planning for pandemics and laid the foundation for the present day federal response to COVID-19.

In the summer of 2005, President George W. Bush was on vacation at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, when he began flipping through an advanced copy of a new book about the 1918 flu pandemic. He couldn't put it down.

When he returned to Washington, he called his top homeland security adviser into the Oval Office and gave her the galley of historian John M. Barry's "The Great Influenza," which told the chilling tale of the mysterious plague that "would kill more people than the outbreak of any other disease in human history."

"You've got to read this," Fran Townsend remembers the president telling her. "He said, 'Look, this happens every 100 years. We need a national strategy.'"

MORE: Coronavirus map: Tracking the spread in the US and around the world

Thus was born the nation's most comprehensive pandemic plan -- a playbook that included diagrams for a global early warning system, funding to develop new, rapid vaccine technology, and a robust national stockpile of critical supplies, such as face masks and ventilators, Townsend said.

The effort was intense over the ensuing three years, including exercises where cabinet officials gamed out their responses, but it was not sustained. Large swaths of the ambitious plan were either not fully realized or entirely shelved as other priorities and crises took hold.

President George W. Bush walks towards microphones to speak to the press, Dec. 22, 2005 at the White House.

President George W. Bush walks towards microphones to speak to the press, Dec. 22, 2005 at the White House.Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images, FILE

But elements of that effort have formed the foundation for the national response to the coronavirus pandemic underway right now.

"Despite politics, despite changes, when a crisis hits, you pull what you've got off the shelf and work from there," Townsend said.

When Bush first told his aides he wanted to focus on the potential of a global pandemic, many of them harbored doubts.

MORE: Experts warn about big dollar fraud in $2.2 trillion coronavirus relief package

"My reaction was -- I'm buried. I'm dealing with counterterrorism. Hurricane season. Wildfires. I'm like, 'What?'" Townsend said. "He said to me, 'It may not happen on our watch, but the nation needs the plan.'"

Over the ensuing months, cabinet officials got behind the idea. Most of them had governed through the Sept. 11 terror attacks, so events considered unlikely but highly-impactful had a certain resonance.

"There was a realization that it's no longer fantastical to raise scenarios about planes falling from the sky, or anthrax arriving in the mail," said Tom Bossert, who worked in the Bush White House and went on to serve as a homeland security adviser in the Trump administration. "It was not a novel. It was the world we were living."

According to Bossert, who is now an ABC News contributor, Bush did not just insist on preparation for a pandemic. He was obsessed with it.

"He was completely taken by the reality that that was going to happen," Bossert said.

Anthony S. Fauci, director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease for National Institutes for Health, listens to questions during a hearing of the House International Relations... more

Anthony S. Fauci, director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease for National Institutes for Health, listens to questions during a hearing of the House International Relations Committee on Capitol Hill, Dec. 7, 2005 in Washington, DC.Brendan Smialowski/Bloomberg via Getty Images, FILE

Tune into ABC at 1 p.m. ET and ABC News Live at 4 p.m. ET every weekday for special coverage of the novel coronavirus with the full ABC News team, including the latest news, context and analysis.

In a November 2005 speech at the National Institutes of Health, Bush laid out proposals in granular detail -- describing with stunning prescience how a pandemic in the United States would unfold. Among those in the audience was Dr. Anthony Fauci, the leader of the current crisis response, who was then and still is now the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

"A pandemic is a lot like a forest fire," Bush said at the time. "If caught early it might be extinguished with limited damage. If allowed to smolder, undetected, it can grow to an inferno that can spread quickly beyond our ability to control it."

The president recognized that an outbreak was a different kind of disaster than the ones the federal government had been designed to address.

MORE: Stimulus check calculator: How much might you receive?

"To respond to a pandemic, we need medical personnel and adequate supplies of equipment," Bush said. "In a pandemic, everything from syringes to hospital beds, respirators masks and protective equipment would be in short supply."

Bush told the gathered scientists that they would need to develop a vaccine in record time.

"If a pandemic strikes, our country must have a surge capacity in place that will allow us to bring a new vaccine on line quickly and manufacture enough to immunize every American against the pandemic strain," he said.

Fran Townsend, President Bush's adviser on Homeland Security, answers questions at a White House press briefing on the reorganization of the Homeland Security system, June 29, 2005, in Washington D.C.

Fran Townsend, President Bush's adviser on Homeland Security, answers questions at a White House press briefing on the reorganization of the Homeland Security system, June 29, 2005, in Washington D.C.Dennis Brack/Bloomberg via Getty Images, FILE

Bush set out to spend $7 billion building out his plan. His cabinet secretaries urged their staffs to take preparations seriously. The government launched a website, www.pandemicflu.gov, that is still in use today. But as time passed, it became increasingly difficult to justify the continued funding, staffing and attention, Bossert said.

"You need to have annual budget commitment. You need to have institutions that can survive any one administration. And you need to have leadership experience," Bossert said. "All three of those can be effected by our wonderful and unique form of government in which you transfer power every four years."

Bush declined, through a spokesman, to comment on the unfolding crisis or discuss the current response. But his remarks from 15 years ago still resonate.

"If we wait for a pandemic to appear," he warned, "it will be too late to prepare. And one day many lives could be needlessly lost because we failed to act today."

Are you looking to move somewhere else now?... isn't Florida going to be a big hot spot as well?
The governor here is horrid, maybe he doesn’t understand how at risk his population is. But no, we’re in our current house until at least the end of May.

The neighborhood I’m in is desolate and supply chain here is excellent. Have a massive pool and yard and every house within 1,000 feet of me is vacant. Honestly, I’d like to stay here forever.

Wife and I have actually discussed relocating to Florida when this is over.

ETA: asked my older son if he’d want to stay here forever... he said he missed NY and was sad we can’t go back, but wouldn’t mind living in Florida. For a 7 year old, I was very impressed with his response :blush:

White House COVID-19 Coordinator: Don’t Go To Grocery Store Or Pharmacy Unless Essential

President Trump also warned that the worst is yet to come.

“This will probably be the toughest week – between this week and next week,” Trump affirmed. “There will be a lot of death, unfortunately…there will be death,” he warned.

White House COVID-19 Coordinator: Don’t Go To Grocery Store Or Pharmacy Unless Essential
By Bruce Haring

Bruce Haring
pmc-editorial-manager

April 5, 2020 8:21am

Dr. Deborah Birx, White House coronavirus response coordinator, speaks about the coronavirus in the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House, Friday, April 3, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
AP Images
It’s come to this – the White House is now advising everyone not to head to the grocery store or pharmacy in the coming two weeks.

“The next two weeks are extraordinarily important,” White House coronavirus response coordinator Deborah Birx said Saturday at a press conference. “This is the moment to not be going to the grocery store, not going to the pharmacy, but doing everything you can to keep your family and your friends safe.”

The coronavirus is expected to peak over the next two weeks. Already, the US has more than 312,000 confirmed cases – that’s confirmed, as in tested and certified – and an unknown number of asymptomatic people who have the virus. The US now has more than 8,500 deaths.

President Trump also warned that the worst is yet to come.

“This will probably be the toughest week – between this week and next week,” Trump affirmed. “There will be a lot of death, unfortunately…there will be death,” he warned.

The governor here is horrid, maybe he doesn’t understand how at risk his population is. But no, we’re in our current house until at least the end of May.

The neighborhood I’m in is desolate and supply chain here is excellent. Have a massive pool and yard and every house within 1,000 feet of me is vacant. Honestly, I’d like to stay here forever.

Wife and I have actually discussed relocating to Florida when this is over. 
It’s pretty great if you live in one of the pretty areas. There is a deer in my back yard rn as I type this. 

Users who are viewing this thread