What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (6 Viewers)

That's a great policy, stores should have that posted on the doors now.

I assume everything I put in my cart may have already been touched by another customer.

Of course it's a given that the stocker already handled it.
Costco often just opens the outer case and stacks them up for customers to touch.

Yeah... I think a lot of people are thinking of "peaked" in the sense of sex, where it's over soon after the peak.

This isn't going to be over for quite awhile even after the peak. And the virus may be multi-orgasmic. 
Interesting analogy

I agree though, I think everyone keeps hearing peak this and peak that thinking once we get there, we're all good. Peak, in association with this means more like 100,000 at, day after peak only 97,000, day two after peak 94,000 and so on. There's got to be a good way to visually represent that so folks at all levels will be able to understand it.

Nobody is saying they cant spread it. I am saying they just dont spread it very often and even less often to adults. And in a school setting where teachers can be isolated to classrooms and kids easily kept a safe distance from adults the risks pale in comparison to all the people getting takeout and being fools in the grocery store or any other number of "essential" businesses.
I agree schools are safer than grocery stores.... but we can't function without grocery stores.

As for schools being safer than restaurants, I completely disagree. Unless the take out customers are doing things they shouldn't be doing for take out. 

flapgreen said:
Now imagine if the leaders in charge in New York and New Jersey hadn't acted like fools in the beginning, just because they wanted to do the opposite of Trump, would've acted responsibly. We'd have half as many deaths in the country. Maybe 6k or 7k deaths in a country of over 300 million people.  Fauci and the political hacks posing as medical professionals at the top have sold a lie to the American people and created an exponentially greater threat to our country's economy than the virus. You isolate the high risk folks from the beginning and eliminate huge gatherings.  Hell, keep businesses open, outside and do the social distancing thing from the beginning, outside of maybe the largest cities like New York and save just as many people bit we more jobs and the economy intact. 
I appreciate this post because it is genuinely insightful to understand how different people are viewing the current situation.

Costco often just opens the outer case and stacks them up for customers to touch.
I gotta tip my hat to Costco.  They seem to be doing a great job through all of this.  When I've gone (I think twice in the past month), they were sanitizing every cart and limiting the customers entering the store.  They also made it clear on what was sold out by posting it outside and announcing it as it happened. 

Interesting analogy

I agree though, I think everyone keeps hearing peak this and peak that thinking once we get there, we're all good. Peak, in association with this means more like 100,000 at, day after peak only 97,000, day two after peak 94,000 and so on. There's got to be a good way to visually represent that so folks at all levels will be able to understand it.
Well, we did have a good way with the whole "flatten the curve". Anyone with any common sense can see that the flattened curve has a much longer time frame to reach the end. But those opposed to these efforts turned "flatten the curve" into something that can only be discussed in that other form that we do not speak of here. Hence, now we have words like "peaked", which makes them feel better because we seem close to peaking. 

Omg. You guys all have a formed opinion you cant wait to share and dont even bother reading.

He was talking about teacher to teacher spread. I bolded the part i was replying to. 

Teachers can isolate from other teachers with ease. 
It doesn't need to be teacher to teacher though. For it very well could be teacher to student to teacher. Or student to teacher to student to teacher

The issue at play is people automatically think all diseases are the same and that kids are spreaders of disease therefore they must be spreaders of this disease.

If somebody looks at this situation without that presumption it is fairly easy to see that there isnt really much evidence to support that, and plenty to contradict. 
Maybe so, but the bottom line is saying we should reopen the schools (which was the pretense of the original thread) just because kids aren't as likely to get the disease is just flat out wrong. Kids make up a large portion of the school--yes, but administrators, counselors. teachers, lunch people, bus drivers and custodians make up the rest and they would be the ones that would be getting this and further spreading it.

Will we learn to actually prepare this time?  Maybe we can even learn that other slow moving things science has shown are real but are not immediately obvious might be dangerous and destabilize our economy and everything else... Like climate change. 
I dearly hope so.

But the rhetoric we're hearing from our national leadership doesn't make one hopeful.

"What We Need To Understand About Asymptomatic Carriers If We're Going To Beat Coronavirus"

WHO doctor: "Most of the people who were thought to be asymptomatic aren’t truly asymptomatic. When we went back and interviewed them, most of them said, 'Actually I didn’t feel well but I didn’t think it was an important thing to mention. I had a low-grade temperature, or aches, but I didn’t think that counted'."
i've felt a little shortness of breath for a while but nothing else.  i assumed it's psychological.

New York 6,920 new cases and 731 deaths. I think they've stopped posting a nightly update, I haven't seen one in the last 2 days, so this is probably it for them today.
I thought they posted a modest update last night.  My recollection was that the first update yesterday was~7500 cases and ~500 deaths...they ended the day with ~8900 cases and ~600 deaths.  Anyway, just my memory so quite possible I am incorrect.

That model was updated 4/7. I'm not defending anyone here, just pointing out that the models have been updated with more and more data with each day/week. So the predictions from a few weeks ago were much different than now. So the deaths haven't been step by step with predictions. Of course social distancing is a big part of that. But even with social distancing they were saying 240k deaths, now its 83k deaths at the high end.
i think they took their formula and tweaked it based on data they have seen. But it does not appear they updated the actual data. So they started with an inaccurate number from 4/6 and went from there.

For example the total deaths in Florida yesterday according to the model was 313 with a very wide range of 252 to 415.

Actual number reported by the State of Florida was a total of 254. Not only is it off, but it is extremely close to being out of their range.

"What We Need To Understand About Asymptomatic Carriers If We're Going To Beat Coronavirus"

WHO doctor: "Most of the people who were thought to be asymptomatic aren’t truly asymptomatic. When we went back and interviewed them, most of them said, 'Actually I didn’t feel well but I didn’t think it was an important thing to mention. I had a low-grade temperature, or aches, but I didn’t think that counted'."
Ok that’s interesting. As I’ve mentioned here once or twice, we are pretty sure my friend, his brother and SIL got really sick from COVID in late Feb and early March but nobody here had any tests or thought that it was here in America so their negative flu tests were all assumed to be testing errors. I had contact with them and around the same to my friend got really sick (missed 3 weeks of work), I felt like I was getting the sick. For a couple days in a row, I was having wild “fever dreams”, waking up feeling disoriented and was really sluggish at work. However, at 3 days, I felt normal. Maybe I had it and my immune system was able to deal with it. 

Maybe so, but the bottom line is saying we should reopen the schools (which was the pretense of the original thread) just because kids aren't as likely to get the disease is just flat out wrong. Kids make up a large portion of the school--yes, but administrators, counselors. teachers, lunch people, bus drivers and custodians make up the rest and they would be the ones that would be getting this and further spreading it.
Also all the parents of all the kids could get it.

Forgive my stupidity if this has already been answered - can they test to see if you had it earlier, but are recovered?

Ok that’s interesting. As I’ve mentioned here once or twice, we are pretty sure my friend, his brother and SIL got really sick from COVID in late Feb and early March but nobody here had any tests or thought that it was here in America so their negative flu tests were all assumed to be testing errors. I had contact with them and around the same to my friend got really sick (missed 3 weeks of work), I felt like I was getting the sick. For a couple days in a row, I was having wild “fever dreams”, waking up feeling disoriented and was really sluggish at work. However, at 3 days, I felt normal. Maybe I had it and my immune system was able to deal with it. 
Spoke yesterday with a friend/former classmate who a couple of weeks ago had posted on FB that she wasn't feeling well, and we messaged a bit. She had all the telltale symptoms, loss of sense of taste, tissue around her eyes really red, fever, hacking cough, etc. By the time she was able to get to her doc, a couple of days later, he fever was gone, though the remainder of the symptoms persisted. They wouldn't test her. Another hospital wouldn't test her because her primary care doctor wasn't part of their hospital. Could've been the flu, "just a virus," or Covid. 

All that, in addition to your example, to say I think the antibody testing is going to play a critical role in getting society back to somewhat normal.

Well, we did have a good way with the whole "flatten the curve". Anyone with any common sense can see that the flattened curve has a much longer time frame to reach the end. But those opposed to these efforts turned "flatten the curve" into something that can only be discussed in that other form that we do not speak of here. Hence, now we have words like "peaked", which makes them feel better because we seem close to peaking. 
And we're off the rails

Pro tip. Been very anxious, as has my wife, as we’re past month of isolating at home. Kids are awesome, but constantly need something, and remote lessons started so we’re effectively serving the role of 3rd grade teachers.

We have an outdoor patio with a speaker system, and opened the door and am playing an Apple Music album of 50 greatest classical masterpieces on shuffle. It’s 4 hours and 20 minutes. Calmed us the #### down. It’s central, so can hear it when working on the gardens I planted, and throughout the house. Baking a sourdough bread, doing some cleaning, and feeling best I’ve felt in awhile.

Highly suggest if you’re feeling anxious playing some classical music. Making a very big difference. Everything seems... lovelier.
We've been doing the same.  It's calming, especially in the morning to just keep it on in the background.

Another thing to remember about asymptomatic carriers, is that everyone starts out asymptomatic. 
Don't have a link but just read an article that says there really aren't that many asymptomatic carriers. After going back and re-interviewing patients many said that they actually had symptoms but didn't report them because they didn't think it was important or that the symptoms were mild.

Pro tip. Been very anxious, as has my wife, as we’re past month of isolating at home. Kids are awesome, but constantly need something, and remote lessons started so we’re effectively serving the role of 3rd grade teachers.

We have an outdoor patio with a speaker system, and opened the door and am playing an Apple Music album of 50 greatest classical masterpieces on shuffle. It’s 4 hours and 20 minutes. Calmed us the #### down. It’s central, so can hear it when working on the gardens I planted, and throughout the house. Baking a sourdough bread, doing some cleaning, and feeling best I’ve felt in awhile.

Highly suggest if you’re feeling anxious playing some classical music. Making a very big difference. Everything seems... lovelier.
Good idea.  I'll merely add that it would be good to skip Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra

just my opinion ;)

Yeah can definitely say testing isn’t up to par. A family friend went to the hospital yesterday after feeling really bad, having a fever all weekend and feeling weaker each  day. The hospital turned her away. They said they didn’t have enough tests but that she probably had it. They said if you can still walk and talk then they don’t have room for you. 
I can see not admitting a near-certain COVID patient who can walk and talk ... but at least prescribing something for the secondary infections would be decent.

I've been trying to track down a good source on this for a few days, but this is the best I got so far. I'll file this in the "I sure hope it's true category"...

In Italy “70% of blood donors tested positive for Covid-19”

60 people were set to donate blood in a village in the Lombardy region and 40 of them tested positive for Covid-19 with no current symptoms. If this is anywhere near reflective of how widespread the virus is and how many people have already had it, or experience mild to no symptoms, then the restoration of society could be very rapid with widespread quick testing.

Not something drop your guard over but a glimmer of hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
the loss of sense of taste is really weird to me.  can anyone give a layman explanation of how that happens?
Taste relies on taste buds and your sense of smell. My theory is the virus initially resides in the back of your throat at the nexus of where taste and smell meet.

Maybe not exactly that, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with where it resides in the body

the loss of sense of taste is really weird to me.  can anyone give a layman explanation of how that happens?
It's mostly loss of smell.  However, taste is so closely tied into our sense of smell that it affects our ability to taste foods as well.  I remember watching this long, long ago on Mr. Wizard's World.

The primary dysfunction for most though, from what I can tell, is the loss of smell that is secondarily causing loss of taste.

I've been trying to track down a good source on this for a few days, but this is the best I got so far. I'll file this in the "I sure hope it's true category"...

60 people were set to donate blood in a village in the Lombardy region and 40 of them tested positive for Covid-19 with no symptoms. If this is anywhere near reflective of how widespread the virus is and how many people have already had it, or experience mild to no symptoms, then the restoration of society could be very rapid with widespread quick testing.

of course not (drop the guard), but i'm sure this perky news will be torpedoed soon enough up in here - thanks for the link ✌

I'm downsizing my vinyl collection and have a rather large number of classical albums destined for Goodwill, if anyone local wants them.

And of course, Politician Spock's point about the adults who work in these schools -- who can still spread to each other -- is salient.
Restaurant workers can still spread to each other too. Schools are setup better than almost any industry for avoiding this. 
a) Restaurants are running skeleton crews, generally. It's not like business as usual for food service. Schools can only cut so much adult staff before staying open is untenable.

b) Cleanliness standards in food service (jokes and anecdotes aside) are more in the occupational forefront than they are at schools -- and for sure past "little kid" grades.

of course not (drop the guard), but i'm sure this perky news will be torpedoed soon enough up in here - thanks for the link ✌
Germany tests better than anyone and 90% of their tests are negative, so I’d imagine the idea that 2/3rds of people are asymptomatic or have had the virus can be discounted pretty quickly. 

In the sense of someone thinking "If it's not a positive-tested case, it's not an infection", I agree with you.

Positive-case counts do have value as a down-the-pike look at near-future hospitalizations. But yes, case counts don't inform about anything happening outside of the "testing system". That means assumptions that "kids don't get COVID infections" are baseless.

Sampling of asymptomatics and apparent healthies (incl children of a range of ages) can't come soon enough.
Ignore all data that doesnt line up with your opinions. Got it. 
The Lancet article didn't present COVID infection data at all.

60 people were set to donate blood in a village in the Lombardy region and 40 of them tested positive for Covid-19 with no current symptoms. If this is anywhere near reflective of how widespread the virus is and how many people have already had it, or experience mild to no symptoms, then the restoration of society could be very rapid with widespread quick testing.

Found it reported on another Italian news site as well...

Coronavirus, Castiglione d'Adda is a case study: "70% of blood donors are positive"

Doug, have you seen any updates on asymptomatic percentages?  I've seen some estimates that are around the 25% mark, but wondered if there's anything more concrete out there.
I haven't seen anything concrete, no. That's why I frequently call for sampling outside of symptomatic carriers who present at hospitals. Shunting off even 5% of available tests to sample the U.S. population, IMHO, would be a huge help.

Quick story to make a point:

Years ago, there was a court case involving someone accused of selling cocaine. The prosecution sent some of the defendant's personal cash (large bills) off to a lab to test for traces of cocaine.

The lab tests came back positive -- there WERE traces of cocaine on the bills. Things looked bad for the defendant.

Defense counsel then got some random bills from area banks and had those tested for cocaine. The random bills came back positive for cocaine, too, and in generally the same proportion as the defendant's so-called "drug money" bills. The defendant was eventually found 'not guilty'.

So basically, I'm hoping that before too long ... we have a clearer picture of whether or not COVID infections among the population are like cocaine traces on paper money.

It sounds like the ant-body test was approved by the FDA yesterday.  We need everyone to get tested ASAP to see how many of us have already been infected.

Users who are viewing this thread