What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

$188 million home tour (1 Viewer)

I'm sure people won't believe me but I have zero interest in living in that house.  I'd sell it and build a 5M dollar house and keep the other 183M.
I agree. I might probably splurge on a $10M house. Maybe $20M if it’s beachfront in the Hamptons. More is insane. 

I agree. I might probably splurge on a $10M house. Maybe $20M if it’s beachfront in the Hamptons. More is insane. 
Agree and I may be underselling the amount I would spend but 5M seems like a good number for me and where I live.  And good point about beachfront - I’d much rather have 3-4 outstanding homes than drop that much on one but considering how much they dropped on that one I’m sure they probably have a few homes.

Insane

After somehow seeing the world's largest closet, I then came across this and it's just ridiculous.
I spent 9 months of my professional life designing and redesigning a client's closet (hers, not his) 1800 SF, 3 floors with an elevator. Also spent a bit of time working on a pair of gun rooms of similar size. In Texas. 

Eta...just watched some of that. Eesh. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure people won't believe me but I have zero interest in living in that house.  I'd sell it and build a 5M dollar house and keep the other 183M.
Totally agree. It’s straight up gross and tacky and a huge waste of money. Well, except for the black crystal horse in the foyer, of course ;)

money does NOT equal taste, obviously. 

in SF, there are houses in the Marina district that are right on the bay facing north towards Marin. So many of those (insanely expensive) houses have these ugly, huge porcelain animals in their giant windows. So tacky. And I should know tacky...I grew up in an Italian-American family in NYC. 

Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but it's not as nice as I was expecting for $188 million.

I've browsed vrbo properties in the Caribbean that are nicer than that and cost around $10-$20 million on the high end.

Most of the money/value is wasted on dumb ugly sculptures/materials that don't really add anything to the house other than making it more expensive.

I agree with with anyone who would rather sell this house than own it and live in it.  I think most people are far too practical to live in a place like this.  Just the annual running costs alone (taxes, utilities, maintenance, help, etc) would be obscene and probably the equivalent of an amazing house/condo in one of the coolest parts of the world.   I would much rather spend $20 million to buy a smaller place off the ocean some place warm and developed.

I saw a mansion many years ago on the outskirts of Cairo with that price tag. The view was of the Cheops pyramid.

Location, location, location

I liked the theater.  One of the interesting things I learned is that you can belong to a "club" and get movies when they first hit the theaters.  I wonder how much that costs?

$300K for an ugly stone sink in the powder room seems reasonable. 
Lol. Even though this is what I do, I'm still astonished how much people will charge and get paid for for this stuff.

I'm renovating a townhouse for one of the richest people on the planet right now...one of the powder rooms (toilet and sink) will be in the 3-400k range because we've (the client) hired an artist to custom finish all the walls. 

You guys talking about downsizing and operating costs...these people are rich. Insanely and infinitely rich. The money associated doesn't matter- they want what they want and they've got enormous staff to help run things (that usually need accommodating for as well). Not saying it's "right" but it's just a different mindset that's very difficult to comprehend, even when you work for them.

Most of the money/value is wasted on dumb ugly sculptures/materials that don't really add anything to the house other than making it more expensive.
There's "art" and there's paying somebody for a custom "art piece". I don't see onyx cut into the shape of handbags with labels lasered in having a genuine market value, regardless of how much they cost to make, the way a basquiat does.

And I've seen over and over that regardless of individual rooms having been designed immaculately with exotic materials and fixtures, people still want to rip it all out and mark their own territory with their own design.

I believe you. I’d probably sell it and just rent a condo and buy the coolest jet ever to whisk me around the world.

If you can own a $188M home you probably have all of this also. 

This #### really brings out the Jacobin in me. That's not a home, it's a mental illness trending toward a war crime.
If gianmarco needs to see how his threads are begging for politics, herewith the example.

Nothing against you, GB. I'm just pointing out what inevitably starting these sociopolitical-tinged threads means. Or even if not just tinged, then topics begging for politics. Your statement is not too far off, IMO. Capitalism was always supposed to have a moral foundation; see, Theory Of Moral Sentiments by Smith, Adam, talking about all sorts of stuff like this haywire display of self-signaled grandiosity. 

If gianmarco needs to see how his threads are begging for politics, herewith the example.

Nothing against you, GB. I'm just pointing out what inevitably starting these sociopolitical-tinged threads means. Or even if not just tinged, then topics begging for politics. Your statement is not too far off, IMO. Capitalism was always supposed to have a moral foundation; see, Theory Of Moral Sentiments by Smith, Adam, talking about all sorts of stuff like this haywire display of self-signaled grandiosity. 
So off to the PSF sub-forum it goes!  😉

Not gianmarco's stuff. That's like sifted gold, finely diffused and gently caressing the FFA's receptacle.

I'm not even being sarcastic, just practicing writing here. 
What on Earth is going on with you? Can you please just put me on ignore? I'll be doing the same.

I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish here but I have zero interest.  

What on Earth is going on with you? Can you please just put me on ignore? I'll be doing the same.

I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish here but I have zero interest.  
Nothing's really going on with me that I know of. The past two threads you've started that I chimed in on I was immediately condescended to by you. And they were both political threads, set up as declarative narratives about stuff that we can't possibly know. They both have alluded to racial motivation behind discrimination, something I argue belongs in the PSF, especially given the conclusory nature of the comments made and the remedies thenceforth.

Feel free to ignore me, I doubt I'll even deign the keystrokes to do likewise (not to mention I rarely, if ever, ignore anybody as a part of personal policy, but that's for another day). 

Dunno why you keep buggin on this, weirdbuddy. It's like you da PoMo Police now. That i am morally aggrieved by opulence puts neither me nor my comments in any category but outraged. There's no longer a party for Jacobins, so i used it colorfully, colloquially. I was brought up to "clean your plate - there are people starving overseas" and the flaunting of wealth when so many still suffer rankles me deeply to this day. As their road mgr, i would not call nor pay for limousines for my star clients backinaday and two of them were the founders of the No Nukes concert/movement, so its more than politics. I indicted no one, proposed nothing in my comment. Lay off it, even if classification matters to you for some reason, or i'll eat you, too, when at last we feed on the rich...

If you can own a $188M home you probably have all of this also. 
This is a good point. And I guess if you’re a mega billionaire and have nothing else to do with the money, I suppose why not have an absurd house. 

Stop making these kinds of posts.

Who wants all that crap. A giant metal camera, a bunch of fake luggage in some stone, a green stone wall, quartz sink, etc. All of it is ugly and to just to show off wealth. I get the awesome house in hills with great views and stock with awesome furniture and fixtures but most of that stuff is expensive crap. 

I think it's worth talking about, and can be handled in here. 

I go through this inner debate daily over my work...spending energy and hours on enormous budgets in enormous residences, then returning home to my tiny pad wondering how I'm going to take care of some extravagances (for me) like music and sports for the kids. Where the cost of a faucet or pair of hinges is equivalent to giving my kid a year or more's worth of extracurricular activities.

I'm not being confrontational and working with you when asking you this: Which part of the post is objectionable?
  1. A personal call out of a poster to tell them what they are doing wrong in here.
  2. Trying to police the boards.
  3. Shoehorning a thread that could be political into the political subforum.
It's also interesting that this thread was on the board for over 16 hours without any type of political replies, but four minutes after a reply that could have been thought of as political, you also replied.

1. A personal call out of a poster to tell them what they are doing wrong in here.
It's also interesting that this thread was on the board for over 16 hours without any type of political replies, but four minutes after a reply that could have been thought of as political, you also replied.
For context, most of my reply to @rockaction's post was in jest w an ol' i-pal in surprise over what he was doing with this. Generally, he is positive force around here, one of the few conservatives who engage w normal people on more than Party levels. This recent fetish does not diminish my opinion of him, he is a gentleman poster with the courage of his convictions.

I can definitely see 1 & 2 and I apologize. I should not personally call people out nor police the boards. My sincere apologies to all.

As far as 3, that perhaps is a really long discussion. My sentence to another poster in response to his sentiment went as such: "I feel like I can no longer contribute to the boards meaningfully without arbitrary social and moderation decisions hanging over my head about what I post. Most seem to just ignore the intent of the poltical/non-political division and proceed without caution or care. I care, and that's why I'm trying to find a line that brings comity. I see the FFA and SP getting more political every day. That's fine. But zigging and zagging around that which is and isn't doesn't do any good."

I haven't had a time out in a while, and average a little over one a year, I guess, mostly gotten in my formative ones. I'm not here to throw flames, alienate people, and lose my own GBs. I'm just genuinely unsure of when the line is drawn here. 

For context, most of my reply to @rockaction's post was in jest w an ol' i-pal in surprise over what he was doing with this. Generally, he is positive force around here, one of the few conservatives who engage w normal people on more than Party levels. This recent fetish does not diminish my opinion of him, he is a gentleman poster with the courage of his convictions.
I really do enjoy shooting the stuff about politics with you, GB. I took your slight reprimand as maybe a cue to back the heck up and play it where it lays a whole lot differently. You're the one I'm alluding to as "los[ing] my own GBs."

Don't have any interest in that, nor being a negative force for the board. 

I haven't had a time out in a while, and average a little over one a year, I guess, mostly gotten in my formative ones. I'm not here to throw flames, alienate people, and lose my own GBs. I'm just genuinely unsure of when the line is drawn here. 
Thanks. I know it can be a blurry line. Please just err on the side of being super cool. Oftentimes that means not posting something that may seem funny or interesting to some but be seen as jabbing at others. I haven't read the comments to know if that's happened here. It's just a general thing. Thanks everyone. 

Thanks. I know it can be a blurry line. Please just err on the side of being super cool. Oftentimes that means not posting something that may seem funny or interesting to some but be seen as jabbing at others. I haven't read the comments to know if that's happened here. It's just a general thing. Thanks everyone. 
Sure thing. I think that left me for a bit in this thread, and I apologize. 

As far as 3, that perhaps is a really long discussion. My sentence to another poster in response to his sentiment went as such: "I feel like I can no longer contribute to the boards meaningfully without arbitrary social and moderation decisions hanging over my head about what I post. Most seem to just ignore the intent of the poltical/non-political division and proceed without caution or care. I care, and that's why I'm trying to find a line that brings comity. I see the FFA and SP getting more political every day. That's fine. But zigging and zagging around that which is and isn't doesn't do any good."
I agree. That can be tough.

One thing, though, is for each of us to try to keep from looking for politics in every statement. Because if we are looking for something, we'll probably find it. Anecdotally, when I immerse myself into politics for a while, I see it almost everywhere. When I don't frequent political discussions, boards, etc., I don't see it in other aspects of my life. Of course, this is extremely difficult in our current world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who wants all that crap. A giant metal camera, a bunch of fake luggage in some stone, a green stone wall, quartz sink, etc. All of it is ugly and to just to show off wealth. I get the awesome house in hills with great views and stock with awesome furniture and fixtures but most of that stuff is expensive crap. 
It's like someone gave a 12 year old an unlimited expense account.

El Floppo said:
Lol. Even though this is what I do, I'm still astonished how much people will charge and get paid for for this stuff.

I'm renovating a townhouse for one of the richest people on the planet right now...one of the powder rooms (toilet and sink) will be in the 3-400k range because we've (the client) hired an artist to custom finish all the walls. 

You guys talking about downsizing and operating costs...these people are rich. Insanely and infinitely rich. The money associated doesn't matter- they want what they want and they've got enormous staff to help run things (that usually need accommodating for as well). Not saying it's "right" but it's just a different mindset that's very difficult to comprehend, even when you work for them.
It’s really ####### stupid

El Floppo said:
I go through this inner debate daily over my work...spending energy and hours on enormous budgets in enormous residences, then returning home to my tiny pad wondering how I'm going to take care of some extravagances (for me) like music and sports for the kids. Where the cost of a faucet or pair of hinges is equivalent to giving my kid a year or more's worth of extracurricular activities.
Just saw Parasite and immediately thought of this thread.

Clayton Gray said:
BTW, does it change anyone's mind that the chopper comes with the house?
Not so much.  But I will say I loved the walnut wood bathroom door and wall behind the TV.  Though as I’m in the middle of building a walnut wood dinning room table I might be a bit walnut obsessed.  Lol

Im also not sure what makes me feel more inadequate, the house or reading @rockaction or @wikkidpissah posts. Damn those fellas have a way with words.  

Users who are viewing this thread